Does DJI Fly report on you to the CAA or FAA if you break the rules?
14833 9 2019-11-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PhasedSpaces
lvl.4
Flight distance : 185463 ft
United Kingdom

As the title says.
Say you exceed 400ft above the ground for example, even by mistake..  (you have the max altitude set to 400m by mistake & don't notice, or simply fail to keep an eye on te altitude whilst flying).  Does the App not only log this, but report it back to DJI, who then in turn grass you up to the Aviation authority in the country you are in?  Or does the app just warn you only?
Just curious before i make such a mistake...
2019-11-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

No they don’t and they are pretty clear about keeping your data private.

You can also choose not to sync your flight which will keep it private.

Believe me there are so many flights broadcast on you tube and here on the forum that are in some cases very illegal and others just slightly left of field , but for the moment nobody is checking these, will it change in the future well let’s wait and see .
2019-11-19
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. Thank you for reaching out with your inquiry regarding your DJI Mavic Mini. With regards to your inquiry for the DJI Fly application. The DJI Fly application doesn't have the capability to report to CAA or FAA.
However, the DJI Fly application will notify or warn you, if you are near a restricted airspace or prevent the drone to fly without authorization in restricted zone for your safety and for the safety of your drone. Just a friendly reminder, in case the drone had an accident you will be liable for that said incident. Just a friend reminder to please always when flying the drone to follow the rules and regulation given by the CAA and the FAA. Thank you.
2019-11-19
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 11-19 13:40
Hi. Thank you for reaching out with your inquiry regarding your DJI Mavic Mini. With regards to your inquiry for the DJI Fly application. The DJI Fly application doesn't have the capability to report to CAA or FAA.
However, the DJI Fly application will notify or warn you, if you are near a restricted airspace or prevent the drone to fly without authorization in restricted zone for your safety and for the safety of your drone. Just a friendly reminder, in case the drone had an accident you will be liable for that said incident. Just a friend reminder to please always when flying the drone to follow the rules and regulation given by the CAA and the FAA. Thank you.

Having seen other companies have data and information subpoenaed by U.S. Government, and in one case U.S. Government demand company aid U.S. Government in decoding data on a device, leads to related question:

Does DJI Fly App or GO4 App report flight violations back to DJI?
2019-11-19
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Simple answer to this. Don't sync your flight data and turn your device to Airplane mode while flying...… Airplane mode is a good idea anyway as it means less interference

You are right to worry about Big Brother however
2019-11-19
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United States

Flying above 400ft as reported by the app is very legal, all you need to be doing is flying up a hill,  Youre not more than 400ft above the ground, just where you took off from.
2019-11-20
Use props
Juliflash
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2923 ft

Spain

Bigplumbs Posted at 11-19 22:21
Simple answer to this. Don't sync your flight data and turn your device to Airplane mode while flying...… Airplane mode is a good idea anyway as it means less interference

You are right to worry about Big Brother however

I read somewhere in the manual that for the APP to work correctly you must have WIFI ON at all times and that the APP uses DATA too...
Will this void any warranty or DJI CARE if something happens while flying with no WIFI?
2019-11-20
Use props
Luggruff
lvl.2
Flight distance : 147684 ft
Greece

DAFlys Posted at 2019-11-20 01:01
Flying above 400ft as reported by the app is very legal, all you need to be doing is flying up a hill,  Youre not more than 400ft above the ground, just where you took off from.

Super late reply, but since I found this and did not see the information here, maybe someone else will. In the EU, the height is 400 ft (120 m) from the nearest point of the earth, and 50 ft (15 meters) above any obstacle you need to fly over (i.e. not just for fun):

I interpret this, not as the red arrowed line meaning you are flying illegal, but rather that  you can fly higher from the bottom of the drone to the surface 90 degrees below, as long as you keep a distance of 400 ft (120 m) to the closest point of the terrain. So for example, you could fly 564 ft (170 meters) straight up, as long as you are 400 ft (120 meters) from the closest point in the terrain.

So obstacles (if you need to) can be even higher than that.

PS! This of course would be REALLY hard to know though, as the drone measures height as 0 from your takeoff point, and it cannot do any of these measurements for you. But it also means I guess, that the CAA, in case they claim you were breaking the rules would have to prove that there was no point of the terrain that was not as close as 120 meters.. and how they would do that, I am not sure.
easa height 2.png
2023-1-5
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

Only if you make the front page of the news.
2023-1-5
Use props
Ms Ivy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 19041243 ft
United States

I fly over 400ft all the time. There are times I will need to climb to miss things like mountains..lol
. I live in the mountains and there are times I will need to increase my altitude to miss trees or to scale a mountain. .. In Tennessee where I live the rules/law states I am to maintain 400ft. unless obstacle  you are traveling over are higher than 400ft , Then you may fly 400ft over the highest obstacle as long you return back to 400ft once you cleared it , and the drone must be in LOS  even with a spotter  https://www.tn.gov/tdot/aeronaut ... s--uas--drones.html
Tennessee is pretty strict when it comes to enforcement on drones . so it always good to check and know the local laws you will be flying there are a lot of haters of drones that would turn you in to the law in a second . So don;t give them any reasons to
2023-1-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules