Editing/Post Production: What do you do?
779 1 2019-11-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
David J.
First Officer
Flight distance : 1231385 ft
United States

When I first got a drone, I know that I didn't think about editing/post at all, which was pretty naïve of me. I didn't even have an SD card reader Since then, I picked up a used iMac and downloaded DaVinci Resolve to do my editing. In terms of hardware and software for editing I really don't know that much, but I'm sure that on here there are tons of people with tons of experience and tons of knoweledge that could be really helpful to us lay-people.

So, what do you guys use for post production? What do you recommend/what works/what doesn't? Desktops vs laptops, Apples vs PCs, Adobe vs DaVinci vs iMove vs whatever else?

As for what I'm doing right now, I've got a late 2012 3.4 GHz i7 iMac with 32 GB RAM running DaVinci Resolve (the free version). Really quick generally until I do anything in Fusion then things slow way down. For me, mainly doing smaller projects with Mavic Air/Osmo Pocket, it works great.

Madebyvadim has some really good posts/thread on production/post-production process—super in-depth with lots of good info:
"Why does your footage look like a drone video, not an aerial film?" - https://forum.dji.com/thread-182436-1-1.html
"How to post-process and make a cinematic drone film" - https://forum.dji.com/thread-180961-1-1.html

But, I'm thinking more in terms of hardeware and software that people use opposed to process.

Anyway, please feel free to share your experience so those of us who are lacking in that department can draw on yours.

Thanks in advance!

2019-11-19
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

There is a couple of questions in your post.
Hardware : Dell inspiron 7577
Software : Sony Vegas Pro 14 + Davinci resolve 16 free. (for tracking stuff etc)
Capturing : (most important part)
- Scout area.
- Visualize shots you want to make.
- Go up there and try to take those shots. Make re tries when they did not work out as planned.
- Fly around, look for opportunities that you have not thought of.

Editing:
- Make a suitable soundtrack (I use Propellerheads Reason for that)
- Start a timeline with that soundtrack and add shots to the timeline. Trim them on the beat.
- Try to make the order of the shots logical so the story is working.
- Add markers where there are issues with color etc.
- Make adjustments per shot to get a good consistent timeline.
- Do general color grading.
- Make first export (render)
- Watch it 2 times and make adjustments when needed.
Ready.
2019-11-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules