Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Why DJI Fly app doesn't work on your device.
12Next >
10074 43 2019-11-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Alevpi
First Officer
Flight distance : 43560 ft
Russia

7fe69f6a9d92791f0766696336a24acc.png
64-bit requirements: what does this mean for developers

Starting 1 August 2019

all new apps and app updates that contain native code must have a 64-bit version in addition to the 32-bit versions when published to Google Play
Addition: Google Play until August 2021 will continue to accept 32-bit versions only in terms of updating existing games using Unity version 5.6 or lower

Starting August 2021

Google Play will stop serving applications without 64-bit versions on 64-bit compatible devices, i.e. they will no longer appear in the Play Store on these devices
this will include games that use Unity 5.6 or later
These requirements do not apply to:
applications designed exclusively for Wear OS or Android TV, because they have a form factor not poddezhivayuschy currently 64-bit code
applications not intended for distribution on devices running Android 9 Pie or higher

You after all wanted only the best from DJI, so they try!
2019-11-20
Use props
Juliflash
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2923 ft

Spain

Loud and clear, however I wonder if something can be done. In Audio music production people use what are called VSTi plugins, recently most music software are also turning to only 64Bit and many plugins don't work since they are old 32 Bit that nobody is going to make them 64Bit.

However some third party companies developed what they call a "bridge" or "Wrapper" which basically puts the 32Bit plugin inside a 64Bit "enclosure" let's call it. This way one can use old 32Bit plugins in 64Bit environments, it works very good.

Would't be possible to do something like that with the DJI FLY APP?
Just Brainstorming here.

Thanks for explaining so clearly the reason of the non 32Bit APP.
2019-11-20
Use props
PercyJackson
lvl.1
Flight distance : 266 ft
Bulgaria

Thanks dude. What is the point of having an open OS when Google oblige everyone to follow their crap!  What's the problem with any manufacturer publishing their app without Google approval ?!
2019-11-20
Use props
JodyB
Captain
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

It's not just google. Apple does it with iOS, macos, etc. Microsoft does it with windows, just program developers can bake both 32 bit and 64 bit into the installer and it chooses which to install based on the computer specs. Lots of other manufacturers does the very same thing. It really isn't anything new, just new to DJI drones because of the time table.
2019-11-20
Use props
Juliflash
Second Officer

Spain

The problem is that a 32Bit OS System cannot handle more than 4GB of RAM. Period.
Nowadays phones have already specs of modern computer surpassing the 4GB limit. Same goes for laptop, tablets and towers, they all benefit from 64Bit cause you can usemuch more RAM.
My old iPhone 5S is the first iPhone to change to 64 architecture.
Is not Google, nor Apple, is RAM.
2019-11-20
Use props
JodyB
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Juliflash Posted at 11-20 12:50
The problem is that a 32Bit OS System cannot handle more than 4GB of RAM. Period.
Nowadays phones have already specs of modern computer surpassing the 4GB limit. Same goes for laptop, tablets and towers, they all benefit from 64Bit cause you can usemuch more RAM.
My old iPhone 5S is the first iPhone to change to 64 architecture.

Very true Juliflash. I was just trying to keep it simple though. I could present the red pill and go way down the rabbit hole on this conversation, but I think it's been explained well enough with the OP's post that I don't have to.
2019-11-20
Use props
Juliflash
Second Officer

Spain

JodyB Posted at 11-20 13:00
Very true Juliflash. I was just trying to keep it simple though. I could present the red pill and go way down the rabbit hole on this conversation, but I think it's been explained well enough with the OP's post that I don't have to.

Hey JodyB, sorry if it sounded harsh, not the intention at all
I read somewhere else, while looking for cheap iPhones in the compatible list a topic on RAM, and it clicked on me the 32Bit issue with the DJI FLY APP.

Glad you are that kind of guy!!
I allways need guideance in projects, may come back to you with some questions in the future (but PM)  
2019-11-20
Use props
JodyB
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Juliflash Posted at 11-20 13:09
Hey JodyB, sorry if it sounded harsh, not the intention at all
I read somewhere else, while looking for cheap iPhones in the compatible list a topic on RAM, and it clicked on me the 32Bit issue with the DJI FLY APP.

Nah man, it didn't sound like you were being harsh at all!! And I didn't take it that way what so ever!! Computer and RF signal is what I do for a living though.
2019-11-20
Use props
Juliflash
Second Officer

Spain

JodyB Posted at 11-20 13:12
Nah man, it didn't sound like you were being harsh at all!! And I didn't take it that way what so ever!! Computer and RF signal is what I do for a living though.

Awesome!
Edited "can of guy" to "kind" of guy, sorry for that lol is late here
All the best @JodyB I really wish your bird arrives soon!
Julian
2019-11-20
Use props
JodyB
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Juliflash Posted at 11-20 13:17
Awesome!
Edited "can of guy" to "kind" of guy, sorry for that lol is late here
All the best @JodyB I really wish your bird arrives soon!

I appreciate your kind remarks too!! You seem like a pretty cool guy in my book too!!
2019-11-20
Use props
lojzik
lvl.1

Czechia

It's too early for only 64 bit app. Is 64bit Android standard? No. Is 4GB phone standard? No. Needs this app 4GB? Probably no. Don't compare with Apple with only one manufacturer with couple models. Don't compare with Windows, where 64bit only apps (for common customer) came many years after 64bit HW/OS platform standardization.
2019-11-20
Use props
JodyB
Captain
  • >>>
United States

lojzik Posted at 11-20 13:38
It's too early for only 64 bit app. Is 64bit Android standard? No. Is 4GB phone standard? No. Needs this app 4GB? Probably no. Don't compare with Apple with only one manufacturer with couple models. Don't compare with Windows, where 64bit only apps (for common customer) came many years after 64bit HW/OS platform standardization.

I can and will compare any and all os’s and hardware that I choose. As architecture is architecture regardless of platform. As for the time of when it happens, that’s up to myself or you. Sorry about any issues you may have with this, it’s coming, for all devices, like it or not.
2019-11-20
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

lojzik Posted at 11-20 13:38
It's too early for only 64 bit app. Is 64bit Android standard? No. Is 4GB phone standard? No. Needs this app 4GB? Probably no. Don't compare with Apple with only one manufacturer with couple models. Don't compare with Windows, where 64bit only apps (for common customer) came many years after 64bit HW/OS platform standardization.

Kind of late to party by over four decades.  

64-bit computing has been around since 1975.  If you had Big-Bucks!   
2019-11-20
Use props
JodyB
Captain
  • >>>
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 11-20 14:49

Absolutely!!  
2019-11-20
Use props
Juliflash
Second Officer

Spain

JodyB Posted at 11-20 13:20
I appreciate your kind remarks too!! You seem like a pretty cool guy in my book too!!

Thanks JodyB, appreciate that too!
2019-11-21
Use props
lojzik
lvl.1

Czechia

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 11-20 14:49

So install this app on computer from 1975. This is not relevant. We were on the moon five decades ago. not today. And 64bit android OS is minority today. Look at timeline better, this timeline is about  64bit apps requirement not about 32bit apps leaving.  And this is basic simple app for entry-level device.  Common sense, please.
2019-11-21
Use props
JodyB
Captain
  • >>>
United States

lojzik Posted at 11-21 00:39
So install this app on computer from 1975. This is not relevant. We were on the moon five decades ago. not today. And 64bit android OS is minority today. Look at timeline better, this timeline is about  64bit apps requirement not about 32bit apps leaving.  And this is basic simple app for entry-level device.  Common sense, please.

Yes. common sense please. Telling someone to instal an app that wasn't developed for a 1975 computer makes all the sense in the world...

Whether or not 64 bit is the priority isn't our call to make. That's dictated by the sum of the whole. Get off your soap box already. It isn't helping your case.
2019-11-21
Use props
lojzik
lvl.1

Czechia

JodyB Posted at 11-21 04:42
Yes. common sense please. Telling someone to instal an app that wasn't developed for a 1975 computer makes all the sense in the world...

Whether or not 64 bit is the priority isn't our call to make. That's dictated by the sum of the whole. Get off your soap box already. It isn't helping your case.

it was only reaction to yours "1975 64bit" pseudoargument. (facepalm).
Don't ignore real world. Target group for this device does not care about 32/64 bit. They doesn't know what is it. And there is no big red alert "don't buy this device, we support only 64 bit android and only few phones". They maybe buy this device as christmas gift now. And many of them will have a problem. Due to DJI ignorance.
2019-11-21
Use props
JodyB
Captain
  • >>>
United States

lojzik Posted at 11-21 05:19
it was only reaction to yours "1975 64bit" pseudoargument. (facepalm).
Don't ignore real world. Target group for this device does not care about 32/64 bit. They doesn't know what is it. And there is no big red alert "don't buy this device, we support only 64 bit android and only few phones". They maybe buy this device as christmas gift now. And many of them will have a problem. Due to DJI ignorance.

Either which, as per the information in the original post, this isn't something that DJI is imposing. Rather the opposite. In the case of what the OP listed, Google changed their criteria so DJI had to comply. That had the unfortunate side effect of affecting their customers. As for their PR tactics, I've yet to see full transparency from DJI and I agree, they could do way better with that and a few other things on top of that.
2019-11-21
Use props
Bright Spark
First Officer
Flight distance : 22129 ft
United Kingdom

I'm picking up that 64 bit processing is better because it can use more ram,  but that that is not necessarily required for our drone's purpose.
The mavic mini is 'sort of' sold as entry level, but really offers nearly as much as my spark,  with a few advances even, flight time, weight and controller , which make it a fraction of spark's price 2 years ago.
I don't know enough to know if 32 or 64 bit processing is  desireable or inevitable for mavic mini, but entry level or not crystal sky offered me by far the best flying experience and now doesn't work.
Entry level is a bit meaningless to me,  and some level of understanding of the difference btween airspeed and ground speed would be essential for drone operation in my book.
It's a bit like a piano ad that say's 'suit beginner'.  A naff piano is no use to anyone, let alone a beginner!
2019-11-21
Use props
Gu5s
lvl.4
Flight distance : 284728 ft
Czechia

JodyB Posted at 11-20 12:25
It's not just google. Apple does it with iOS, macos, etc. Microsoft does it with windows, just program developers can bake both 32 bit and 64 bit into the installer and it chooses which to install based on the computer specs. Lots of other manufacturers does the very same thing. It really isn't anything new, just new to DJI drones because of the time table.

Not a MS fanboy, but MS has always valued backward compatibility!
2019-11-21
Use props
JodyB
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Gu5s Posted at 11-21 06:23
Not a MS fanboy, but MS has always valued backward compatibility!

They have valued backwards compatibility. At the same time backwards compatibility isn't possible between a 32 bit processor/OS and a 64 bit app.

And it may not be a requirement for our drone's purposes, but I don't think the host of the play store or app store have been taking polls on that subject to see how many people would be affected either.
2019-11-21
Use props
Gu5s
lvl.4
Czechia

BTW the original post only forces devs to include 64bit versions of apps, it does not say anything about making 32bit Apps obsollete
2019-11-21
Use props
Gu5s
lvl.4
Czechia

+ a fun fact - you probably even had no idea whether your Android device was 32 or 64bit and you had no reason to care either, since 99% of apps are available compiled in both variants... I am in the mixed bag of cruel irony - having powerful enough recent device with 64bit CPU 4gigs of ram (isupported phone 6 has just 1 - I disregard better memory management, since the diference is marginal)...... while running 32bit android.
2019-11-21
Use props
Bright Spark
First Officer
United Kingdom

You're right I didn't. Luckily I bought a xiaomi 64 version without knowing it to replace my cracked Motorola.

But it's still nowhere near bright enough.
2019-11-21
Use props
lojzik
lvl.1

Czechia

JodyB Posted at 11-21 05:59
Either which, as per the information in the original post, this isn't something that DJI is imposing. Rather the opposite. In the case of what the OP listed, Google changed their criteria so DJI had to comply. That had the unfortunate side effect of affecting their customers. As for their PR tactics, I've yet to see full transparency from DJI and I agree, they could do way better with that and a few other things on top of that.

once again, Google criteria is, that app must have 64bit version. It's not about removing 32bit versions.  Every app can have both versions, 64bit is mandatory, 32bit is optional. It's about hard platform limits for app (in this case, what?), or just about respect for customers.
2019-11-21
Use props
JodyB
Captain
  • >>>
United States

I'm merely pointing out the path these things are taking. I am not taking a side here. I think it was Juliflash that pointed out issues with audio apps with 32 bit and 64 bit issues as well. And as far as I know, none of those audio app devs fixed those issues. End users took matters into their own hands to keep using their favorite apps. Whether or not DJI rolls out an app with 64/32 baked into it, that's up to them. But I would say if they did, it would probably be pushing the play store app size limit at that point. When I checked, the app apk was around 250 MB. So adding in the extra code to handle the install plus the 32 bit version would either make it very close to the 500 MB limit or put it over. Either way, its up to them.
2019-11-21
Use props
Gu5s
lvl.4
Czechia

JodyB Posted at 11-21 08:05
I'm merely pointing out the path these things are taking. I am not taking a side here. I think it was Juliflash that pointed out issues with audio apps with 32 bit and 64 bit issues as well. And as far as I know, none of those audio app devs fixed those issues. End users took matters into their own hands to keep using their favorite apps. Whether or not DJI rolls out an app with 64/32 baked into it, that's up to them. But I would say if they did, it would probably be pushing the play store app size limit at that point. When I checked, the app apk was around 250 MB. So adding in the extra code to handle the install plus the 32 bit version would either make it very close to the 500 MB limit or put it over. Either way, its up to them.

It does not make the app twice as large - most of the time, you won't even use the same package (apk) - you supply variants to the play store - customer/user will implicitly download the "most fitting" variant.
2019-11-21
Use props
powerlordUK
lvl.1

United Kingdom

correct - about apk size.

tbh DJI has always favoured iOS - hell it was the reason I bought an ipad for my phantom 3 pro, and an iphone 6 just to use with my mavic pro - their ios apps have historically always just worked better. The fact they sell in Apple stores is clearly a driver.

What is puzzling is that a drone which markets itself as 'my first drone' to the everyman has such limitations on it's android support - and limitations that I do not believe will be properly understood by your average 'unwashed' newbie - I think we are going to see a lot of disappointed android owners - I mean they have tried their best - it's a big list, and covers most of the new chinese premium phones becoming more popular in europe, but for those first time buyers getting a drone from the high street - I think they are going to have an expectation that their phone is supported.

Take Argos (a major UK retailer as an example):

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/4566155

Nothing there mentions what phones are supported or not. In fact it barely mentions a phone is required. Expanding their retail network wider than techies like us, and homogeneous retail centres like Apple shops, requires a focus on things you previously may have taken for granted. It feels like DJI might have to work on that a bit more coming up to Christmas.
2019-11-21
Use props
JodyB
Captain
  • >>>
United States

powerlordUK Posted at 11-21 10:00

tbh DJI has always favoured iOS - hell it was the reason I bought an ipad for my phantom 3 pro, and an iphone 6 just to use with my mavic pro - their ios apps have historically always just worked better. The fact they sell in Apple stores is clearly a driver.

None of the retailers around me in the states tells you what devices are supported. They kind of expect you to either know already or go back to DJI for that information prior to purchasing.

I know folks on here are just trying to come up with something that will work for them. I'm on a budget myself and if I had to come up with another device because the device I had wouldn't work, I'd of had to of passed on getting the MM. Heck, I've got three tablets that fell victim to this very topic.
2019-11-21
Use props
Bright Spark
First Officer
United Kingdom

It seems to me that it's not entry level at all. It's too high tech.
Will users put in the effort to inform themselves, or will they buy it and lose it/give up?
Anything worthwhile requires considerable input.
I don't know! To me that's why it's interesting.
I do know I somewhat reluctantly took some wedding shots by request, and people were extremely complimentary. Got another booking.Have BMFA insurance.
Amateur conditions of course. No fee.
2019-11-21
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

powerlordUK Posted at 11-21 10:00

It feels like DJI might have to work on that a bit more coming up to Christmas.

You got that right!

Family members with good intentions, buying a first timer drone as Christmas gift, has potential for disappointment.
DJI needs to make sure all requirements are clear and obvious.  Can't expect Auntie May or GrandPa Joe to dig into manuals (in store or on line).  Be lucky if May or Joe know what smartphone the receipient has.  Never mind whether recepient's smartphone is running either: "iOS v10.0 or later Android v6.0 or later".

2019-11-21
Use props
lojzik
lvl.1

Czechia

JodyB Posted at 11-21 08:05

about size, platform dependent libs are only part of apk. And size on google play is not 250MB as on download page, but only 97MB (apk on play is without some assets). If I duplicate libs in apk (in DJI Go are 32bit libs smaller than 64bit libs), then apk size is 136MB and this is common app size and IMO this is acceptable for almost all users.
2019-11-21
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

JodyB Posted at 11-21 06:34
They have valued backwards compatibility. At the same time backwards compatibility isn't possible between a 32 bit processor/OS and a 64 bit app.

And it may not be a requirement for our drone's purposes, but I don't think the host of the play store or app store have been taking polls on that subject to see how many people would be affected either.

but I don't think the host of the play store or app store have been taking polls on that subject to see how many people would be affected either.

The stores (and makers) should** know, based on downloads / installs.  

**No guarantees though, lot of disconects between companies Marketing, Sales, Manufacturing, Engineering, Software, Support, and Top management.

2019-11-21
Use props
lojzik
lvl.1

Czechia

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 11-21 10:34
It feels like DJI might have to work on that a bit more coming up to Christmas.

You got that right!

IMO it's epic fail from DJI. Lack of information in spec and wrong. If I look at Google Play, for last update is info "Support ... Moto Z ..." but not all Moto Z are supported... "Hey son, what is your phone".." Moto Z2 Play".. <Cool... compatible>..."I have prezent for You, it will be surprise"... "Merry Christmas" .. f..k §!#$
2019-11-21
Use props
JodyB
Captain
  • >>>
United States

We can put the blame anywhere we like, it still doesn’t make those devices any more compatible.
2019-11-21
Use props
Bright Spark
First Officer
United Kingdom

But what we're looking at here is , of all the millions of guitars and keyboards  descending on the public at Christmas , how may are in use 2 weeks later?

On the other hand, give any tech to a youngster over 2 and he/she' ll have it up and running in no time!
2019-11-21
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Alevpi. Thank you for sharing this informative information with us. Great explanation and thank you for your support.
2019-11-22
Use props
lojzik
lvl.1

Czechia

DJI Stephen Posted at 11-22 11:28
Hello and good day Alevpi. Thank you for sharing this informative information with us. Great explanation and thank you for your support.

No, this information does not  explain reason for non-support 32bit version! This information only says, that you must add 64bit version on android Pie or later, nothing else.  Your and Alevpi interpretation of this informative information is completely wrong.
2019-11-22
Use props
Gu5s
lvl.4
Czechia

In other words: "Thank you for defending us, since we can't do it ourselves. There are bunch of angry people that are not happy with our generic answers about a topic we don't unsertand while it seems they do and we have no way how to give them the answers they want".

Comedy...

PS: One person took a look inside the Dji fly app - great amount of the code seems to be the same with Dji Go 4 (that has run 32bit version just fine for years), so argumenting with a major amount of work (if any extra work at all) is required to compile 32bit version of app seems invalid.
Another argument thrown around is "memory"... Dji fly is supposed to be stripped down version of Dji Go, with less features - how does that increase memory requirements? Also running 64 bit Android does not inherintely guarantee, that the device will have more RAM, also iPhone 6 has just 1Gig ... soo... no - still not convinced.
2019-11-22
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules