Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
S1 App - Advanced Debugging Mechanism
3026 6 2019-11-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sevreNniarB
lvl.4
Germany

Intro
Last time I've explained how to debug the Unity Assembly-CSharp.dll. As a result we were able to take a look under the hood of the S1 application (https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=201392)

Today we are going to learn how to edit and recompile the .dll and get access to advanced debug features that are already built into the S1 application This will be a prerequisite for future tutorials, please follow exactly my instructions - I will not explain it in the future.

What you need

• Installed Robomaster App on your PC
  • Text Editor
  • Some C# knowledge
  • dnSpy
  • Optional: Wireshark & PacketSender

What you get

• Debug-Logs (files), directly from the S1 app
  • Better understanding how the app communicates with the S1

Preparation
Just in case if something goes wrong during the process: Make a Backup of your Robomaster installation!

Open dnSpy with administrative privileges and load the Assembly-CSharp.dll (if you don't know where to find it, please take a look at my last reverse engineer post). First thing we want to do is to force a higher debug level. Select the root level of the DLL in the Assembly Explorer:
Assembly Explorer.jpg

You will see something like this:  
Debuggable.jpg

Line 16 will look different for you, because I've already modified it on my system. Right-Click in the code window and select Edit Assembly Attributes (C#). Replace your Debuggable line with this (everthing in one line, no CR!):

[assembly: Debuggable(DebuggableAttribute.DebuggingModes.Default | DebuggableAttribute.DebuggingModes.DisableOptimizations | DebuggableAttribute.DebuggingModes.IgnoreSymbolStoreSequencePoints | DebuggableAttribute.DebuggingModes.EnableEditAndContinue)]  

Compile the changes you've just made by clicking the Compile button.

---

At the next step we want to change the debug behavior of the UnityBridge.dll. UnityBridge is a 3rd party tool for Unity which allows data sharing with running processes. It is heavily used in the S1 application and we are able to change its debug functionality for our (future) purposes.

Ubridge.jpg

Edit the code as shown above (we are still in the Assembly-CSharp.dll!), and change:

DJIUnityBridge.CreateUnityBridge("Robomaster", false); to DJIUnityBridge.CreateUnityBridge("Robomaster", true);

Hit the Compile button.

---

(Re-)Compile the thing
Now we have to recompile our changes. Within the Assembly explorer select the Assembly-CSharp.dll, click on the file menu and select save Module. The MD Write options have to look exactly like this:
MD-Options.jpg

Everything else keeps untouched. Click Ok and the module (DLL) will be recompiled and saved. The robomaster.exe should start normal, if it crashes you've made a mistake...

---

Last step, edit the boot.config file
Locate the directory where your S1 application is installed (robomaster.exe). Navigate to the [RoboMaster_Data] directory and open the file [boot.config]. Add the following line and save the file. Nothing else is changed:

player-connection-debug=1

---

What you can do with it
We are finally done! If you followed my steps, the S1 app will create 3 logfiles and a directory when you start it. On my PC the files are located in the root folder of the D: drive, because I've installed the app in D:\Robotics. Please ignore the Tools and Windows Kits directories, they are part of my installation.

Log-Files.jpg

At a first glimpse we cannot do much with it, right? Wrong

The log files will give us a better understanding of how the messaging system is actual working. Take a closer look at the cmd log (in the RM_LOG folder) and compare it with the duml_cmdset.py. Do you see a similarity? Uploaded examples for you, the .py file is important, the other one is a log from my system:

duml-cmdset.zip (8.07 KB, Down times: 12)
2019-11-20
Use props
BGA
Captain
United States

FYI, for the handshake mechanism, the app dos not really to send anything. The Robomaster itself sends broadcast packets that can be read and used to set up the connection (i.e. without the app initiating a handshake explicitly).
2019-11-20
Use props
sevreNniarB
lvl.4
Germany

BGA Posted at 11-20 12:39
FYI, for the handshake mechanism, the app dos not really to send anything. The Robomaster itself sends broadcast packets that can be read and used to set up the connection (i.e. without the app initiating a handshake explicitly).

Hi BGA,

thank you! This is absolutely possible, but the handshake is happening at some point. The frame I've posted is the first thing the App sends after you hit "connect". After that there is some back and forth, incl. a check for Firmware updates, etc.

I'll try an empty frame with the correct data format (the first byte) and see what happens. I Hope the duml is not outdated, because I restored it after a little "my S1 installs its initial firmware accident" from the ota.zip.

I think we are on the right path with this approach.

Cheers
2019-11-20
Use props
BGA
Captain
United States

sevreNniarB Posted at 11-20 12:59
Hi BGA,

thank you! This is absolutely possible, but the handshake is happening at some point. The frame I've posted is the first thing the App sends after you hit "connect". After that there is some back and forth, incl. a check for Firmware updates, etc.

Fair enough. as I mentioned in another post, I can reliably set the connection currently although I can not do much else. I will commit some sample code showing that happening.

In any case, a cool side effect of how the setup works is that I can easily control multiple S1s *EVEN* if they were initially setup with the official app. Should be fun when I get actual control going on. I have 2 S1s so I will try some coordination example with them.

Also, if I can get the camera feed, we can run OpenCV locally and do some even cooler stuff.
2019-11-20
Use props
g1107
lvl.4
China

Very nice!!
2019-11-20
Use props
BGA
Captain
United States

I just realized why I was stuck on figuring out the post-connection stuff. It seems all network handling after a connection is made is done inside the unitybridge DLL, which seems to be native code. From now on the most efficient way to move forward would be to use packet sniffing and the debug logs.  
2019-11-21
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day sevreNniarB. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing these information with us. Great work and thank you for your support.
2019-11-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules