What does the Mini do when it loses signal?
16095 28 2019-11-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
brettt
lvl.3
United States

Will it return to home, land, or hover?

There was an option for this in DJI Go, but DJI Fly has very limited options and no such setting. Has anyone observed what happens, or can someone from DJI comment what it will do?
2019-11-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

As of now, when RC signal is lost craft will hover for 11 seconds before returning home if you regain signal you can cancel.
There is no option at this time for hover or land , maybe with updates .
2019-11-21
Use props
dronespilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 1392995 ft
  • >>>
United States

It happened to me two days ago where the Mini disconnected from the RC and I waited for a while and two options popped up to choose from 1- return to home 2- land. So I believe this what it does. I wish these options were in the settings to set before as the other Mavics.
2019-11-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

dronespilot Posted at 11-21 15:57
It happened to me two days ago where the Mini disconnected from the RC and I waited for a while and two options popped up to choose from 1- return to home 2- land. So I believe this what it does. I

You maybe right, but checking manual it only offers Rth , unless you were within 20m .
2019-11-21
Use props
dronespilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 11-21 15:59
You maybe right, but checking manual it only offers Rth , unless you were within 20m .

True. I did not expect to see at all. I will test it and possibly take a screenshot.
2019-11-21
Use props
MatthewW28
lvl.3
Flight distance : 11460925 ft
United States

It's only the Failsafe that kicks in like someone said, in 11 seconds, and you could disable it whenever you regain connection.
2019-11-21
Use props
JohnK48
lvl.4
Flight distance : 311020 ft
United States

I believe that if "GPS signal" is lost it will just land (I know, not what was meant). And if the IMU fails then probably a crash is soon.
2019-11-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

JohnK48 Posted at 11-21 16:27
I believe that if "GPS signal" is lost it will just land (I know, not what was meant). And if the IMU fails then probably a crash is soon.

If weak gps it will just land that’s correct, I think OP was talking about RC signal or Failsafe return to home
2019-11-21
Use props
TheCameraGuy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 40866 ft
  • >>>
Canada

dronespilot Posted at 11-21 15:57
It happened to me two days ago where the Mini disconnected from the RC and I waited for a while and two options popped up to choose from 1- return to home 2- land. So I believe this what it does. I wish these options were in the settings to set before as the other Mavics.

It’s happened to me a couple of times. Your description is the same as mine.
I’m usually 1250-1500 feet away. The is a lot of wifi near where I was shooting
2019-11-21
Use props
brettt
lvl.3
United States

Ok thanks all, so sounds like on RC signal loss it will return-to-home... and bonus info that on GPS loss it will land. Landing is the one I don't want, cause that's when it's most likely to crash itself, but if it's only GPS loss I assume I can regain control.
2019-11-21
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi brettt, there is no option for hovering or landing when the signal is lost for Mavic Mini, Failsafe RTH will be enabled automatically when the RC signal is lost for more than 11 seconds, and if the GPS signal becomes weak or unavailable during RTH, the drone will hover in place for a while and then start landing.
2019-11-22
Use props
Bright Spark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22129 ft
United Kingdom

After gps lost it may well hover, but over 30 ft or so  (ie out of ground mapping ) it will go with what wind there is.
You'd have to 1 be able to see it clearly, and 2 be very quick to control it.
2019-11-22
Use props
ccjodoin74
lvl.1

United States

dronespilot Posted at 2019-11-21 15:57

But if it has lost contact with the drine how will it know what you click for one of your 2 options?
2020-2-17
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

ccjodoin74 Posted at 2-17 23:15
But if it has lost contact with the drine how will it know what you click for one of your 2 options?

If you lose the control signal, there are no options.
Page 13 of the manual tells you all you need to know:
Failsafe RTH
If the Home Point was successfully recorded and the compass is functioning normally, Failsafe RTH automatically activates after the remote controller signal is lost for more than 11 seconds.

2020-2-17
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

But if it has lost contact with the drine how will it know what you click for one of your 2 options?

it is possible to lose video signal but maintain control.
2020-2-18
Use props
TDZHDTV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2068550 ft
United Kingdom

Flying any drone in airspace is a great responsibility, as a pilot the minimum you should do is read the AC instructions and understanding the legal boundaries you should operate in.
2020-2-18
Use props
dronespilot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

But if it has lost contact with the drine how will it know what you click for one of your 2 options?

In most cases, what you lose is the live feed, not the connection, but sometimes you lose the connection and in this case, the drone will go back to the take-off point (assuming the compass is normal and there enough GPS satellites)
2020-2-18
Use props
djiuser_mGLDgWqGjuxc
lvl.1
Flight distance : 203202 ft
Canada

In the current software there is also an option for "Hover" when signal is lost.  How long would the mini hover before taking another action, i.e. how much time would you have to get closer to reconnect and regain control?
2020-5-11
Use props
djiuser_mGLDgWqGjuxc
lvl.1
Canada

dronespilot Posted at 2-18 15:05
In most cases, what you lose is the live feed, not the connection, but sometimes you lose the connection and in this case, the drone will go back to the take-off point (assuming the compass is normal and there enough GPS satellites)

In the current software there seems to be an option for "Hover" when signal is lost.  Does anyone perhaps know how long would the Mini would hover before taking another action, i.e. how much time would you have to get closer to reconnect and regain control?
2020-5-11
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

djiuser_mGLDgWqGjuxc Posted at 5-11 13:18
In the current software there seems to be an option for "Hover" when signal is lost.  Does anyone perhaps know how long would the Mini would hover before taking another action, i.e. how much time would you have to get closer to reconnect and regain control?

You have as long as it takes for the battery to go flat, that's it. It will eventually auto-land when the battery dies.
2020-5-11
Use props
djiuser_mGLDgWqGjuxc
lvl.1
Canada

Geebax Posted at 5-11 13:56
You have as long as it takes for the battery to go flat, that's it. It will eventually auto-land when the battery dies.

Thanks very much.
2020-5-12
Use props
djiuser_IbzqnBQVeSWC
lvl.1
Flight distance : 151739 ft
Canada

Geebax Posted at 5-11 13:56

Would it know if it's flying above water so it won't "land" into the water?

Also, I don't see what the point is to hover or land if TX is lost. In what situations you would want it to hover until batteries die or land who knows where (TX is lost, no video feed), vs coming back home safely so you can regain TX or just return to you and land?

2020-7-6
Use props
fansa3ca2932
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1614416 ft
Russia

djiuser_IbzqnBQVeSWC Posted at 7-6 19:46
Would it know if it's flying above water so it won't "land" into the water?

Also, I don't see what the point is to hover or land if TX is lost. In what situations you would want it to hover until batteries die or land who knows where (TX is lost, no video feed), vs coming back home safely so you can regain TX or just return to you and land?

Me either: every time before take off I use to check this option to make sure RTH is set correctly. "Landing" is a very unsafe feature.
Use of "Hover" is the scenario when you decide to fly around a high rise building and can't set RTH altitude above its height for some reason.
Here is the discussion.

2020-7-6
Use props
fans49432d35
lvl.1
Flight distance : 180630 ft
Canada

MatthewW28 Posted at 2019-11-21 16:23
It's only the Failsafe that kicks in like someone said, in 11 seconds, and you could disable it whenever you regain connection.

Do you know if the same failsafe mechanism kicks-in with the DJI Mini2?
2020-12-7
Use props
MatthewW28
lvl.3
Flight distance : 11460925 ft
United States

fans49432d35 Posted at 12-7 10:17

Should be in the manual, guessing that it is something similar.
2020-12-21
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
Flight distance : 320951 ft
New Zealand

dronespilot Posted at 2019-11-21 15:57

If the Mini disconnected how could you tell it which option to follow?
2020-12-21
Use props
itsdavesdrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The mini has the same options. It is set to RTH by default.
2020-12-21
Use props
itsdavesdrone
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Bussty Posted at 12-21 16:12
If the Mini disconnected how could you tell it which option to follow?

It's in the safety settings. Leave it as RTH.
2020-12-21
Use props
itsdavesdrone
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

fans49432d35 Posted at 12-7 10:17

Yes, it's the same on all DJI drones.
2020-12-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules