Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

DAFlys Posted at 11-22 01:13
thnanks Montfrooij.

I have to say these features are not my main interest.
I usually fly my drone by hand.
Never used any of the auto features so far.
2019-11-22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>

Montfrooij Posted at 11-22 01:23
I have to say these features are not my main interest.
I usually fly my drone by hand.
Never used any of the auto features so far.

auto landing is a great feature,  if your new and you loose orientation, or flying at night and loose vlos you know that a single button will bring the AC home.
2019-11-22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

DAFlys Posted at 11-22 01:27
auto landing is a great feature,  if your new and you loose orientation, or flying at night and loose vlos you know that a single button will bring the AC home.

Yeah, I can see why people use it, but personally I don't use it.
In my opinion, automatic features are one of the reasons things go wrong.
Especially when you panic.
In all of my flights, I really only needed the map and common sense if I wanted to fly back.
The arrow + green line show me exactly where I need to be heading.
My visual feed tells me if I'm free to go.

But then again, that is just personal of course.
2019-11-22
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day DAFlys. Thank you for sharing this informative video with us. Great find and thank you for your support.
2019-11-22
Use props
OneWireAT1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1212500 ft
United States

Great video Sir!

I have really accurate RTH using the following steps:

1. take off
2. always ascend to 14FT minimum with Mavic Mini stable.
    2a. if Mini is unstable or drifting  - **Re-Calibrate GPS**
3. Check Homepoint
    3a. Expand the homepoint screen (zoom in) and while craft is stable reset home point to exactly where the Mini is currently positioned (right smack dead in the center of the arrow)
4. CHECK RTH Altitude for your current flight area
     **Sadly for a drone without forward sensors I don't hear people reiterate this enough!!
2020-1-20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

OneWireAT1 Posted at 1-20 14:11
Great video Sir!

I have really accurate RTH using the following steps:

Why?
It won't make any difference.
The Mini does not have a Precision Landing feature so hovering at 14 feet won't do anything to make for a better landing

2a. if Mini is unstable or drifting  - **Re-Calibrate GPS**
I don't hear people reiterate this enough!!
That's not something that anyone should be reiterating.
I wonder what you mean since there is no way you can recalibrate your drone's GPS.
If you really mean recalibrate the compass, you are on the wrong track as that wouldn't have any effect on drifting.

3a. Expand the homepoint screen (zoom in) and while craft is stable  reset home point to exactly where the Mini is currently positioned  (right smack dead in the center of the arrow)
This will make no difference at all.
You don't seem to understand the variable inaccuracy that is inherrent in GPS
There is no need to reset the home point

2020-1-20
Use props
OneWireAT1
lvl.2
United States

Labroides Posted at 1-20 14:50
Why?
It won't make any difference.

I only speak from my own persona experience.   I am quite pleased with the results .

#2 - I honestly feel that when the homepoint is updated .. and the drone is not stable results will vary. I am of the mindset that I like to remove any immediate terrestrial interference from the GPS positioning.

#2a  re-calibrating compass most certainly does have a drastic effect on drifting . *again - IMHO

#3a - Im not sure why one would suppose that manually setting the homepoint would not make any difference at all.  When I have verified the homepoint , and my Mini is solid within +/- inches in its hovering position .. as the Fly App is stating "home point has been updated"  - my only gesture is up @ 14 ft (thats random but works for me) .. the homepoint I note is quite off and often by several feet ..
* I'm guessing that you have not tried at least this.. if not then please do test for yourself. but again I only know my own personal observations.

**nothing scientific - although I am an electronic engineer with 10+ years servicing Tactical Navigation Systems.
2020-1-20
Use props
BigBird27
lvl.4
Flight distance : 883645 ft
  • >>>
United States

Interesting video. Thasnks
2020-1-20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

OneWireAT1 Posted at 1-20 15:53
I only speak from my own persona experience.   I am quite pleased with the results .

#2 - I honestly feel that when the homepoint is updated .. and the drone is not stable results will vary. I am of the mindset that I like to remove any immediate terrestrial interference from the GPS positioning.

But GPS accuracy is variable. https://www.gps.gov/systems/gps/performance/accuracy/
Or for an example from the video in the 1st post, look at 4:19
You see that he's re-positioned his drone to land on the launch point but it's GPS is saying it is 1.5 metres away from the spot.

If you record a position 10 times at exactly the same point, you will get about 10 slightly different positions, mostly within about 2.5 metres
So discarding the first one and recording a second one won't make for any improvement in the accuracy of the home point.

#2a  re-calibrating compass most certainly does have a drastic effect on drifting . *again - IMHO
Compass affects direction, not position.
If your drone is hovering without slowly rotating, its compass is calibrated as well as it can be and recalibrating won't make any difference to anything.

#3a - Im not sure why one would suppose that manually setting the homepoint would not make any difference at all.  When I have verified the homepoint , and my Mini is solid within +/- inches in its hovering position .. as the Fly App is stating "home point has been updated"  - my only gesture is up @ 14 ft (thats random but works for me) .. the homepoint I note is quite off and often by several feet ..
* I'm guessing that you have not tried at least this.. if not then please do test for yourself. but again I only know my own personal observations.

Again ... you seem to be thinking that consumer grade GPS can be pinpoint accurate when it isn't and normally gives variable results within +/- 2.5 metres

Unless you have a drone that uses the Precision Landing feature (powered by optical technology rather than GPS) you cannot get repeat RTH autolanding accuracy better than +/- a couple of metres.
You are fooling yourself with your resetting home point and recalibrating the compass.
Neither will make any difference.

2020-1-20
Use props
OneWireAT1
lvl.2
United States

I give credence to what someone says they believe - no skin off my back.

I'm not here to brag or boast and certainly not trying to take away anyone's "Smartest Guy In The Room" Badge.  What I do know and share here is that when I follow my protocol (initially stated) , I get very fine results. I repeatedly have my RTH's land within 1 or 2 feet from home point;  not the +/- couple meters that any GPS manual will state.  No declaration of magic here only personal observation.

Furthermore, with that being said,...mileage may vary; but when you have high mileage it will certainly vary.
2020-1-20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

OneWireAT1 Posted at 1-20 17:07
I give credence to what someone says they believe - no skin off my back.

I'm not here to brag or boast and certainly not trying to take away anyone's "Smartest Guy In The Room" Badge.  What I do know and share here is that when I follow my protocol (initially stated) , I get very fine results. I repeatedly have my RTH's land within 1 or 2 feet from home point;  not the +/- couple meters that any GPS manual will state.  No declaration of magic here only personal observation.

And I'm just pointing out the underlying principles of GPS accuracy and what they can and can't do for your RTH autolanding accuracy.
Here is a practical demonstration.
Three handheld GPS units, placed together, out in the open and left for 10 minutes to stabilise.
Note their displayed positions are all different.
If you watched them, you'd have seen the last digit of their eastings and northings was frequently changing even ofter 10 minutes.
I've included a plot to show how far apart the displayed points are.
The GPS works exactly the same way.

3 GPS.jpg
Test points.jpg
2020-1-20
Use props
OneWireAT1
lvl.2
United States

Labroides Posted at 1-20 17:36
And I'm just pointing out the underlying principles of GPS accuracy and what they can and can't do for your RTH autolanding accuracy.
Three handheld GPS units, placed together, out in the open and left for 10 minutes to stabilise.

Good point. Point taken

Thanks for putting up with me
2020-1-20
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 1-20 17:36

Curious how they are not picking up the same satellites.
2020-1-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules