12Next >
6651 66 2019-11-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mattshelley
lvl.1

Spain

Hey guys,

So I had my first flight with the Mini yesterday, Wow it's AWESOME. I LOVE IT!! Well, except for the absolutely terrible white balance. I mean it's just TERRIBLE!!

It's so bad, it's a joke. DJI, are you intending to fix this? And, please for the love of *** add this to the camera/video settings. DJI, please add more settings. It's too little. Even for a mini! It's insane that we don't have control over the video shutter speed and the white balance. Especially when "auto: is creating these kinds of epic failures.

This is what the Mavic Mini gave me...
DJI_0006-in-cam.jpg

And this is the **corrected version** which is closer to reality.
DJI_0006-basic-fix.jpg

Has anyone else figured out how to get this working?
Matt

2019-11-22
Use props
MatthewW28
lvl.3
Flight distance : 11460925 ft
United States

They do have the editing type software built into the app in the Album part of the app.  I haven't used it before, but there may be some things that could be tweaked inside of there.  I also think that the app is a little limiting right now but hopefully the next updates bring things.
2019-11-22
Use props
fliptwister
lvl.2
Flight distance : 22516 ft
United States

Wow, that is pretty bad. I did not realize that you cannot adjust white balance for photos with mini. I change white balance quite a bit with Spark. I hope they add this feature to mini...
2019-11-22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Is this photo mode or video?
2019-11-22
Use props
mattshelley
lvl.1

Spain

Montfrooij Posted at 11-22 07:25
Is this photo mode or video?

This was a photo, but I also took a video and the white balance was just as bad too.
2019-11-22
Use props
mattshelley
lvl.1

Spain

fliptwister Posted at 11-22 07:08
Wow, that is pretty bad. I did not realize that you cannot adjust white balance for photos with mini. I change white balance quite a bit with Spark. I hope they add this feature to mini...

Yeah, I really hope they add this.. and a few other things. I heard the argument that they didn't want to add too many features in case people bought a better drone... I hope that's not the reason and it's just their software wasn't ready.
2019-11-22
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thank you for reaching out and we do apologize for the inconvenience. I will directly forward this concern of yours to our designated department for attention. with regards to adding additional settings on the application, I will take note of this as a suggestion and will forward it to the right department for them to review and take some action for this in the future. Thank you for your understanding and support!
2019-11-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

White balance can be fixed in post, I would suggest slightly underexposed it won’t look so bad .
2019-11-22
Use props
mattshelley
lvl.1

Spain

DJI Gamora Posted at 11-22 08:35
Hi, thank you for reaching out and we do apologize for the inconvenience. I will directly forward this concern of yours to our designated department for attention. with regards to adding additional settings on the application, I will take note of this as a suggestion and will forward it to the right department for them to review and take some action for this in the future. Thank you for your understanding and support!

Thanks, I appreciate that!
2019-11-22
Use props
mattshelley
lvl.1

Spain

hallmark007 Posted at 11-22 08:51
White balance can be fixed in post, I would suggest slightly underexposed it won’t look so bad .

Definitely a lot can be done in post. Hopefully, DJI can get us "mini" guys some additional features to fix this one
2019-11-22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

mattshelley Posted at 11-22 07:28
This was a photo, but I also took a video and the white balance was just as bad too.

Ok, strange.
I have seen rather good examples also
2019-11-22
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

mattshelley Posted at 11-22 08:55
Thanks, I appreciate that!

You're welcome!
2019-11-23
Use props
Jollyroger Hobbies
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17392 ft
United States

I'm really hoping for this update as well. I'm a photographer and bought the Mini for this reason. The lack of manual video controls and not White Balance really is terrible. I would also like the ability for us to shoot in RAW!
2019-11-24
Use props
Prairie Chicken
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106526 ft
Canada

I'm wondering why anyone would buy the Mini and then complain about the lack of manual settings. Isn't that like buying a Volkswagen and complaining it won't go 200 mph?
2019-11-24
Use props
fliptwister
lvl.2
Flight distance : 22516 ft
United States

Prairie Chicken Posted at 11-24 08:13
I'm wondering why anyone would buy the Mini and then complain about the lack of manual settings. Isn't that like buying a Volkswagen and complaining it won't go 200 mph?

Given that these features were on the Spark, that is really not really a good simile. It would be like buying a volkswagen where the new model has some great new features but the previous model had 50 additional horsepower.
2019-11-24
Use props
*DM*
Second Officer
Flight distance : 507087 ft
United Kingdom

Jollyroger Hobbies Posted at 11-24 01:02
I'm really hoping for this update as well. I'm a photographer and bought the Mini for this reason. The lack of manual video controls and not White Balance really is terrible. I would also like the ability for us to shoot in RAW!

Mavic 2Pro?
2019-11-24
Use props
*DM*
Second Officer
Flight distance : 507087 ft
United Kingdom

Prairie Chicken Posted at 11-24 08:13

Pretty much
2019-11-24
Use props
Prairie Chicken
Second Officer
Canada

My point is that we know the Mini doesn't have manual settings. That is specifically why I'm not getting it. Why would anyone buy it and then complain about what he knew it didn't have?
2019-11-24
Use props
Prairie Chicken
Second Officer
Canada

fliptwister Posted at 11-24 08:46
Given that these features were on the Spark, that is really not really a good simile. It would be like buying a volkswagen where the new model has some great new features but the previous model had 50 additional horsepower.

(Forgot to tag the post)

My point is that we know the Mini doesn't have manual settings. That is specifically why I'm not getting it. Why would anyone buy it and then complain about what he knew it didn't have?
2019-11-24
Use props
Jollyroger Hobbies
lvl.4
United States

Prairie Chicken Posted at 11-24 09:28

Because of the 3 Axis gimble, 2.7k, under 249g, 30 minute flight time, very capable machine in a small portable package. Everyone ALWAYS buys things and complains about what it doesn't have! Human nature. However the few things we are asking for is NOT beyond the scope of firmware updates for this VERY capable machine. That being said, I want to make clear, I am not crying, wining, or throwing a fit. I am just admitting some shortfalls that we as consumers would love to see addressed that is NOT beyond the capabilities of DJI.
2019-11-24
Use props
ARTPiranha
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1115725 ft
  • >>>
Russia

hallmark007 Posted at 11-22 08:51

Life is toooo short to spend it in a editing software, DJI please give us a full camera settings control and also give us an ability to tune stick behavior as on mavic (expo, gain, brake and so on)
2019-11-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

ARTPiranha Posted at 11-24 13:45
Life is toooo short to spend it in a editing software, DJI please give us a full camera settings control and also give us an ability to tune stick behavior as on mavic (expo, gain, brake and so on)

Maybe it’s a M2 your looking for, editing doesn’t make life quicker it makes life better .
2019-11-24
Use props
Shantok
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1104163 ft
  • >>>
United States

Many of us have other better drones but have purchase the mini for travel, hiking and other uses. I'd rather not have to drag around the M2P, A7R III and all the crap that comes with them. When I need to travel light I can grab my RX100 VI, Osmo Pocket and the Mavic Mini.  Now I have all kinds of settings to get the pictures and video I want with the RX100 and even with the Osmo Pocket but not yet with the Mini. This is a newer drone than the spark by years we should not be going backwards. Some of the features like OA are left out for weight. Other features are just a firmware and app update away.  
2019-11-24
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

White balance can be fixed in post.
2019-11-24
Use props
lojzik
lvl.2

Czechia

Lucas775 Posted at 11-24 20:24
White balance can be fixed in post.

without raw, post-production is very limited, sometimes impossible. You need raw or good settings direct in camera.
2019-11-24
Use props
ARTPiranha
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1115725 ft
  • >>>
Russia

hallmark007 Posted at 11-24 13:57
Maybe it’s a M2 your looking for, editing doesn’t make life quicker it makes life better .

Maybe, but I have M2 and I2 also ;)
2019-11-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

ARTPiranha Posted at 11-25 02:27
Maybe, but I have M2 and I2 also ;)

Then you won’t have to much trouble getting good footage or photos .
2019-11-25
Use props
Prairie Chicken
Second Officer
Canada

Jollyroger Hobbies Posted at 11-24 12:15
Because of the 3 Axis gimble, 2.7k, under 249g, 30 minute flight time, very capable machine in a small portable package. Everyone ALWAYS buys things and complains about what it doesn't have! Human nature. However the few things we are asking for is NOT beyond the scope of firmware updates for this VERY capable machine. That being said, I want to make clear, I am not crying, wining, or throwing a fit. I am just admitting some shortfalls that we as consumers would love to see addressed that is NOT beyond the capabilities of DJI.

However easy it is for DJI to do, it goes against their business model. The Mini was developed and designed and priced as an entry level drone for young teens and even children who probably see the lack of manual controls as a selling point. Expecting DJI to upgrade it to a better drone for more advanced users at no cost is a bit presumptuous. (I say that as someone who has been guilty of it myself.)
2019-11-28
Use props
lojzik
lvl.2

Czechia

Prairie Chicken Posted at 11-28 11:17
However easy it is for DJI to do, it goes against their business model. The Mini was developed and designed and priced as an entry level drone for young teens and even children who probably see the lack of manual controls as a selling point. Expecting DJI to upgrade it to a better drone for more advanced users at no cost is a bit presumptuous. (I say that as someone who has been guilty of it myself.)

We can read in release info on this forum: "pack professional-quality drone features into the lightest possible frame", "...transforms photos and videos into professional-quality productions", "...high-quality camera ", "... high-quality footage".  Nothing about children, but "...content creators can choose CineSmooth ". It's presented as EDC flycam with professional photos and video, not as a toy for children.
2019-11-28
Use props
Jollyroger Hobbies
lvl.4
United States

lojzik Posted at 11-28 14:15
We can read in release info on this forum: "pack professional-quality drone features into the lightest possible frame", "...transforms photos and videos into professional-quality productions", "...high-quality camera ", "... high-quality footage".  Nothing about children, but "...content creators can choose CineSmooth ". It's presented as EDC flycam with professional photos and video, not as a toy for children.

AMEN, AGREED! A LOT of people who are looking at this model is for as i've said, lightweight, portability. However the gentleman is right, this was MARKETED towards the younger crowd and beginners, but this is where DJI failed to realize the potential. With the changers we are asking for, it will open the market up to EVERYBODY
2019-11-28
Use props
Copterfan
lvl.2

Germany

From my point of view a lot of people looking not really for a cheap brand drone, then they think about a Mini.
Same with me. I bought last year the Mavic Air. Not, cause the Air was cheaper than the Mavic 2. The Mavic 2 is too big and to heavy for traveling.
Even DJI could unlock/provide missing features in the Mini from a technical view, I guess, they don't will do it in order to further support their pro drones.
If I follow the rumors belongs to the upcoming Mavic 3, I fear, that a Mavic 3 would have same size and weight as the Mavic 2.
I don't know, why DJI obvouisly thinks, they have to demonstrate and argue their more expensive pro drones by also make them big?!

2019-11-29
Use props
mattshelley
lvl.1

Spain

lojzik Posted at 11-28 14:15
We can read in release info on this forum: "pack professional-quality drone features into the lightest possible frame", "...transforms photos and videos into professional-quality productions", "...high-quality camera ", "... high-quality footage".  Nothing about children, but "...content creators can choose CineSmooth ". It's presented as EDC flycam with professional photos and video, not as a toy for children.

Absolutely! I bought the Mini because I am constantly travelling and anything bigger wasn't going to work for me. We're not asking for much, just a few essential updates that are available on every single cheap camera phone since there were camera phones. Sure, RAW would be nice but I'll settle for some nice simple additions that make this awesome. It's never going to replace the bigger, faster drone.. that's obvious Anyhow... we must wait!
2019-11-29
Use props
djiuser_Rkdxo9G42fsM
New
Flight distance : 97513 ft
France

DJI Gamora Posted at 2019-11-22 08:35
Hi, thank you for reaching out and we do apologize for the inconvenience. I will directly forward this concern of yours to our designated department for attention. with regards to adding additional settings on the application, I will take note of this as a suggestion and will forward it to the right department for them to review and take some action for this in the future. Thank you for your understanding and support!

Hi Gamora, is there any update on this issue ?
AWB destroy almost all colors photos on this Mini.
Here an example of Mini's Picture and the corrected image.
2020-1-11
Use props
MM_Pro
lvl.2
Flight distance : 94580 ft
Spain

Jollyroger Hobbies Posted at 2019-11-28 15:02
AMEN, AGREED! A LOT of people who are looking at this model is for as i've said, lightweight, portability. However the gentleman is right, this was MARKETED towards the younger crowd and beginners, but this is where DJI failed to realize the potential. With the changers we are asking for, it will open the market up to EVERYBODY

"this was MARKETED towards the younger crowd and beginners"
- WRONG   : no obstacle sensors.

It's a travel drone because of the size and weight and for people who needs only few seconds of footage ( with white balance change in ever 5 seconds , LOL)
Drones without obstacle sensors are not for beginners.  

2020-1-27
Use props
Jollyroger Hobbies
lvl.4
United States

MM_Pro Posted at 1-27 12:14
"this was MARKETED towards the younger crowd and beginners"
- WRONG   : no obstacle sensors.

So are you saying the Tello is not for beginners?
2020-1-27
Use props
Sigmo
lvl.4
United States

Giving us these adjustments and features would add value to the Mini, perhaps increasing sales to advanced amateurs as well as pros for portable use, as a backup drone, or as a first drone for event and wedding photographers just to add another tool to their arsenal.

So DJI has to weigh the potential increase in Mini sales against the potential for it to cannibalize sales of more expensive drones.  All of the camera companies face these same tradeoffs.

It will be interesting to see what DJI decides to do.

Of course as a consumer, I'd like to see this.

As has been stated:  Without RAW, the ability to adjust white balance in post is extremely limited if you want good quality images.  JPG compression discards a great amount of the captured data, and locks you into the WB and other processing choices that were made at the time of the capture.

If we don't have RAW, we certainly need adjustable and lockable WB to get the most out of this tiny wonder.
2020-1-27
Use props
deathsquad
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Yes it's a nightmare. The mini does actually have White Balance and Shutter speed functions but we are unable to control them. If you record video with subtitles it shows you what setting it used. I hope they add manual white balance controls because there is only so much we can do with exposure settings...
2020-1-27
Use props
jhamelinjhdproductions.com
lvl.2
Canada

I've done a similar post months ago and nothing changed! DJI doesn't care

And to everyone who says's you can fix it in post. Did you ever try to fix white balance when it changes 3 times in one single shot? It's a nightmare! Especially with a small sensor like the Mavic mini.

DJI were very capable of adding a few "sunny" "cloudy" fixed white balance settings instead of their automatic setting that keeps changing mid-shot even with exposure lock.
2020-1-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

I think looking at that photo, particularly the foreground it seems much better matched to the first photo, the sky in the second photo does not show any reflection on the land.
Just my opinion .
2020-1-27
Use props
Sigmo
lvl.4
United States

jhamelinjhdproductions.com Posted at 1-27 14:54
I've done a similar post months ago and nothing changed! DJI doesn't care

And to everyone who says's you can fix it in post. Did you ever try to fix white balance when it changes 3 times in one single shot? It's a nightmare! Especially with a small sensor like the Mavic mini.

I'm not sure I'd give up just yet.  It took quite a while for them to release the update that allowed a number of Samsung phones to start working again after an android update.  And the same goes for the fix for the inability to allow flight for people in semi-restricted zones.

And those were major bugs that were keeping people from being able to fly their Minis at all.

So things like these added features might logically take a while longer because they're not as critical.

I'm holding out hope that DJI will decide it's to their advantage to add these features, and then roll them into a future update.

It may well be that the more DJI sees people asking for a feature, the more seriously they'll consider it to be important for their sales.  What might really make a difference is if potential buyers say that they're waiting for these features and won't buy a Mini until it has them.

They've already got their money from us.  ;)
2020-1-27
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules