Losses control during flight - like it just wanted to flyaway
1029 24 2019-11-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
steve_in_miami
lvl.1
United States

Unfortunately today I returned my Mini today to Best Buy as I realized there is a serious flaw in what I assume is the WIFI issue that might be plauging other owners. The past two flights today the mini decided to increase in altitude, turn and fly in odd directions and just basically, not doing what it is supposed to. After flying though and around the parking lot and trees I headed back towards our main road when all of a sudden, it was like someone else had control. I tried to cut the motors to land it and catch but in the long run, it finally came down. In the morning I flew by the water and it started to increase altitude by itself. I had to struggle to bring it down and eventually pressed RTH. I have flown other DJIs in the past and never had these issues. Will wait for next version to see if this gets fixed.

2019-11-23
Use props
marktottymy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 91860 ft
United States

I HAVE EXACT SAME ISSUES....FINGERS CROSSED THE REPLACEMENT WILL WORK NORMALLY....
2019-11-24
Use props
steve_in_miami
lvl.1
United States

Thanks for responding and please let me know. I'm tempted to go out and buy another one as soon as I can. Love the mini and the images that I've been getting. Really picture perfect.

I was reading in this thread that some owners have turned off their data on their phone to avoid this issue. Have you tried that?
2019-11-24
Use props
TheCameraGuy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 40866 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Maybe turning WiFi off on the phone would do it.

Scares me. Reminds me of the early Phantoms. I had 3 in total, 2 flew away.
The Mavics use a different frequency and communication system.
2019-11-24
Use props
urbanweb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 33963 ft
United Kingdom

Can you post the flight logs? How many satellites did you have connected?   
2019-11-24
Use props
steve_in_miami
lvl.1
United States

TheCameraGuy Posted at 11-24 14:15
Maybe turning WiFi off on the phone would do it.

Scares me. Reminds me of the early Phantoms. I had 3 in total, 2 flew away.

Unfortunately the drone was returned. I didn't want to chance losing it if there was any chance on returning it before getting destroyed.

I had read some others had issues and was not sure if it was the phones wifi or data. What are your settings when flying the mini?
2019-11-30
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

steve_in_miami Posted at 11-30 06:50
Unfortunately the drone was returned. I didn't want to chance losing it if there was any chance on returning it before getting destroyed.

I had read some others had issues and was not sure if it was the phones wifi or data. What are your settings when flying the mini?

Interested to see if a replacement fix that, keep us posted.
2019-11-30
Use props
djicheaha
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2957598 ft
  • >>>
United States

Good move on return. Let us know if replacement solves your issue.
2019-11-30
Use props
steve_in_miami
lvl.1
United States

urbanweb Posted at 11-24 15:45
Can you post the flight logs? How many satellites did you have connected?

I just uploaded the video to YouTube today to see what was happening. I cut the recorder moments before I regained control and got it to land. Sorry, how do i post the flight log?

https://youtu.be/fYkwn5sDusQ
2019-12-1
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

steve_in_miami Posted at 12-1 05:06
I just uploaded the video to YouTube today to see what was happening. I cut the recorder moments before I regained control and got it to land. Sorry, how do i post the flight log?

https://youtu.be/fYkwn5sDusQ

Some useful inks here:

https://www.phantomhelp.com/tips ... logs-from-itunes.29

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

https://airdata.com/

I hope it helps!
2019-12-1
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Where you were flying, was there a moderate amount of WiFi in use?   

You can tell by looking at channels in use.  
On my passed-on old MacBook had a nice utility which showed every WiFi channel in use and signal strength.
2019-12-1
Use props
StefanMalloch
lvl.2
Canada

Pretty scary situation. Hope they work these bugs out quickly!
2019-12-1
Use props
steve_in_miami
lvl.1
United States

InspektorGadjet Posted at 12-1 05:22
Some useful inks here:

https://www.phantomhelp.com/tips/how-to-retrieve-dji-go-flight-logs-from-itunes.29

Thanks. Here is a link to flight log. It is very crazy at the end.  https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/BU398NBU66XY7DWLS2KD
2019-12-1
Use props
steve_in_miami
lvl.1
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 12-1 10:15
Where you were flying, was there a moderate amount of WiFi in use?   

You can tell by looking at channels in use.  

I was flying between our buildings so I imagine there was a good amount of wifi nearby. I think I was also close enough to my house that i was picking up my wifi.
2019-12-1
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

My first inclination when I watched the video was that the spinning may be due to flying so close to that large manhole cover and piping that was right there when it kind of first happened.

However, when I looked at your log, I didn't see any indication of compass errors or in fact any errors at all in the logs.

2019-12-1
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

steve_in_miami Posted at 12-1 18:01
Thanks. Here is a link to flight log. It is very crazy at the end.  https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/BU398NBU66XY7DWLS2KD

Hi Steve,

Had a look at your flightlog.

The first part of your flight was flown in OPTI mode, only 5 satellites and zero for GPS reception.After 1m43s 8 sats and 2 for reception, at 1m47 enough GPS data to fix a HomePoint.
(so guess HP was not set at your position, wich can be akward when a disconnect happens and your drone is flying to HP wich is not where you think it is...)

At 18m59 seconds due to Smart Battery a RTH was initiated, so not by you but by the fly app.
In this RTH you still made a lot of RC inputs, so mayby you were not aware of a RTH in progress?

In a RTH drone want to heads towards home and fly back.
All your yaw inputs made the drone go 'crazy' turning in the yaw -axis.

At 19m17s no RC input for about 2 secs ; mini heading stabilized at 045 degree!.
After that again almost 100% left yaw, mini follows your input.

At 20m38 you did cancel GoHome, no RC input, mini stable at heading 282.
Landing OKE.

So as far as i can see this crazy behaviour was done by lots of left and right yaw input, nothing wrong with your mini and for sure no flyaway.

cheers
JJB

analysis1.png
analysis3.png
2019-12-2
Use props
steve_in_miami
lvl.1
United States

marktottymy Posted at 11-24 05:12
I HAVE EXACT SAME ISSUES....FINGERS CROSSED THE REPLACEMENT WILL WORK NORMALLY....

Did.you receive the replacement mini yet?
2019-12-2
Use props
steve_in_miami
lvl.1
United States

JJB* Posted at 12-2 01:11
Hi Steve,

Hi JJB,

Thanks for looking into the flight log. What gets me is that all of a sudden the drone just started doing what it wanted. Was it possible that I hit the RTH button by accident? I don't think so. I also tried pulling straight down on the joystick trying to lower the drone. I did not take it into a yaw at all.

I am fortunate to live across the street from Drone Nerds here in Miami and the tech said saw the video. He was amazed that the drone acted that way and said there was probably a mechanical error like the compass and said i did the right thing by bringing it back to the store.

In any case, i am getting ready now to purchase another mini and hope that this new one will be defect free.
2019-12-7
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

steve_in_miami Posted at 12-7 05:14
Hi JJB,

Thanks for looking into the flight log. What gets me is that all of a sudden the drone just started doing what it wanted. Was it possible that I hit the RTH button by accident? I don't think so. I also tried pulling straight down on the joystick trying to lower the drone. I did not take it into a yaw at all.

Hi Steve,

The RTH was a Smart RTH ; batterty level 24% , enough and needed for flying back home.
So you did not press RTH by accident.

At 18m57 into RTH, cancelled by you at 20m38.
During RTH lots of RC input, so my chart. And yes, yaw as well.If it was a faulty drone or 'faulty pilot' ; not important ofcourse.

Good luck with the new one, many happy safe landings!
cheers
JJB

analysis1.png
2019-12-7
Use props
davidms
lvl.4
Flight distance : 428186 ft
Canada

Definitely scary. I hope the new one behaves better! let us know
2019-12-7
Use props
SD_Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

JJB* Posted at 12-2 01:11
Hi Steve,

Thanks for posting this very accurate analysis. Always reliable technical feedback from JJB.

Appears there's nothing wrong with that Mavic Mini.

Good info for users to know what not to do.

2019-12-7
Use props
Tervist
lvl.4
Flight distance : 20830 ft
United States

Even though you were flying low and slow, I noticed that you also were flying near some power lines. I know that they can be a source of interference and cause problems with a flight. I wish you better luck with your replacement.
2019-12-7
Use props
grahamjohnson10
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2817172 ft
United Kingdom

JJB* Posted at 12-7 05:33
Hi Steve,

The RTH was a Smart RTH ; batterty level 24% , enough and needed for flying back home.

Please could you tell me what software you use to analyze the flight logs.
2019-12-7
Use props
Knapweed
lvl.3
Canada

There's no shame in making mistakes when you're new to the game and EVERYBODY makes mistakes at some time or other, no matter how experienced. The trick is to know when you have made mistakes and to learn from them. This also comes with experience and a thicker skin, which we all need when things go belly up.

In this situation, I believe it was 100% pilot error, in that the pilot wasn't aware of the safety measures the Mini was taking in order to protect itself and he was fighting against it in a desperate attempt to regain control.  It's very understandable that the OP returned his drone and a big shout out to whatever organisation honoured the agreement to take it; however, if lessons aren't learned from this event, I foresee another return in the future. That would be sad for the OP and sad for DJI's reputation for no other reason than a reluctance to learn from mistakes. In that regard, Mea Culpa, I'm one of the worst offenders, so I'm not finger-pointing, I'm just commenting on what I see as the defence mechanisms of a kindred spirit  

2019-12-7
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

grahamjohnson10 Posted at 12-7 09:09
Please could you tell me what software you use to analyze the flight logs.

ofcourse, see this > https://forum.dji.com/thread-203659-1-1.html
2019-12-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules