Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Mini “Locked” / Firmware Update Issue
6345 10 2019-11-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AKdroneflier
lvl.1
United States

My DJI MAVIC Mini is brand new direct from DJI,..  on my 1st attempt to fly, it says "unable to fly, aircraft locked, update aircraft firmware 30122".
Update attempt through the DJI Fly app on WiFi didn't work, so I downloaded the latest version of DJI Assistant for Mavic and made about six attempts to update the firmware using my iMac computer running OS Mohave.  The "download" of the firmware update goes smoothly to 100%, but then the next step of  "Transmitting" seemed to always get stuck on 0% and then after 10 minutes or so gives a message that the update failed, send log, retry, which I did several times.  
I deleted and then reinstalled the DJI Assistant for Mavic and this time also allowed the installation of the associated "kernel" program (which says for Android?) and a little "@file" logo file showed up on my desktop??  This time after the "download" of firmware update reached 100%, the "Transmitting" began to proceed, but very very slowly,... after 2 hours it had only reached 7%!  I began to wonder if DJI or the "kernel" program was "transmitting" my entire photo library and maybe all of the data on my hard to China (?), so I quit the program and shut down.
The DJI Assistant programs are trash in my opinion and they don't follow Apple protocols,. I had to override my Security Settings (downloads from Apple App Store and recognized software only) to download the new version for Mavic in the first place,.. now I'm worried that was a mistake! Can anyone give me some advice on what I should do to accomplish this firmware update without risking all of the data on my computer hard drive?,... or perhaps I should pack the Mini up and send it back for a refund,... I can fly my old Phantom 1 without all of this B.S.

2019-11-24
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

There is a chance problem you are experiencing is a DJI problem that has been around for well over a year.  If it is, the Problem with DJI Assistant has been reported to DJI by numerous people.  Despite being a multi-billion dollar company, DJI has failed to get blessings (code sign certificates) from both Apple and Microsoft.  Resulting in DJI's Assistant failing to install properly on Mac or PC.

Believe in case of Microsoft Windows, OS was blocking DJI Assistance's install of USB driver interface, because DJI's code was not signed as required by Microsoft.

In case of Apple's OS X, OS was blocking install of DJI Assistance.  Originally you could get most of Assistant installed by running install program as Admin or Root.  But that was before Mojave.  Now Apple has tightened up security further with (SIP).   Result of (SIP) is, Root no longer has full privileges to write to specific OS folders / files.

To get around new security (SIP) of OS X, you have to disable security using "csrutil disable" from terminal command line with Mac booted to Recovery Mode.  Then boot Mac from normal startup disk  After installing DJI Assistant, you should re-enable (SIP), using "crsutil enable".  

You can read more about (SIP) here: Disable System Integrity Protection (SIP) on Mojave

Ironically, DJI's Assistant will (would) install and run (except for Mavic drone's vision calibration) under Apple's Bootcamp which allows Mac to run Windows.  Seems Bootcamp does not block required USB interface drivers when Windows is run under Apple's Bootcamp.  Issue with vision calibration was DJI's Assistant would get confused about what screen size was, due to Windows running under Apple's Bootcamp.

2019-11-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I see HT is trying to create hysteria again, spends his time around here helping no one trying to cause confusion , I’d take it with a large pinch of salt .
2019-11-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

As far as I know assistant is not available for MM yet, unless you have bad WiFi no reason you shouldn’t be able to download FW , FW takes less than 10 minutes over WiFi , so I suggest contacting a moderator and ignore the rubbish information your getting above, that guy spends his time on this forum trying to create hysteria .
Edit: I see it has been updated to MM, can you try a factory reset .
2019-11-24
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
Captain
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I ran into the same issue with the lock firmware needed updating and it did seem futile at first because I was unfamiliar with the new DJI fly app but after a few try’s I figured it out and updated over wi-fi..
2019-11-24
Use props
Keule
Captain
Flight distance : 3733015 ft
  • >>>
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 11-24 02:46
As far as I know assistant is not available for MM yet, unless you have bad WiFi no reason you shouldn’t be able to download FW , FW takes less than 10 minutes over WiFi , so I suggest contacting a moderator and ignore the rubbish information your getting above, that guy spends his time on this forum trying to create hysteria .
Edit: I see it has been updated to MM, can you try a factory reset .

2019-11-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

I did actually edit my post, but thank you anyway .
2019-11-24
Use props
AKdroneflier
lvl.1
United States

R&L Aerial photography Posted at 11-24 03:00
I ran into the same issue with the lock firmware needed updating and it did seem futile at first because I was unfamiliar with the new DJI fly app but after a few try’s I figured it out and updated over wi-fi..

Thanks R&L Aerial,.. I went back and tried about 20 times through the DJI Fly app and kept getting a “server error, try again later” message.  Then I tried this and it worked!:   Turn on phone (in my case an iPhone 6+), go to Settings and verify good WiFi connection and then (swipe) turn off all other apps. Then turn on the Controller and let it connect.  Then turn on the the MavicMini and allow it to connect.  I was then able to access and launch the mandatory Aircraft Firmware update and it worked successfully this time!  I turned everything off for a while,.. put in a fresh charged battery, restarted in the same sequence, and did a Compass calibration,.. and the took off and It Flies!  This certainly wasn’t out of the box - plug and play,.. but the Mavic Mini is so much fun to fly!,... I take back all of those bad things that I said about DJI and I’m keeping my “Mini”!
2019-11-24
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. I am sorry for the trouble. This is not the experience I wanted you to have. I am happy to know that you are able to fly drone after following our valued DJI members recommendation and thank you for your valued support.
2019-11-27
Use props
djiuser_NR7Gvi73c9pA
New

United States

AKdroneflier Posted at 11-24 13:29
Thanks R&L Aerial,.. I went back and tried about 20 times through the DJI Fly app and kept getting a “server error, try again later” message.  Then I tried this and it worked!:   Turn on phone (in my case an iPhone 6+), go to Settings and verify good WiFi connection and then (swipe) turn off all other apps. Then turn on the Controller and let it connect.  Then turn on the the MavicMini and allow it to connect.  I was then able to access and launch the mandatory Aircraft Firmware update and it worked successfully this time!  I turned everything off for a while,.. put in a fresh charged battery, restarted in the same sequence, and did a Compass calibration,.. and the took off and It Flies!  This certainly wasn’t out of the box - plug and play,.. but the Mavic Mini is so much fun to fly!,... I take back all of those bad things that I said about DJI and I’m keeping my “Mini”!

I had a similar timeout problem when I tried to update my mavic min firmware to 1.03. Problem solved by turning off my iPhone VPN.
2019-12-14
Use props
JodyB
Captain
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes, you can use DJI Assistant 2 to update the firmware of the MM and the RC. Both on Windows and on Mac OS. I have both and installs and runs fine on both. I did not have to make any allowances for either Windows 10 professional or Mac Catalina operating systems.  I have not tried to do a firmware update as of yet with either one as my MM came with the most recent already installed. So if you are having trouble updating through the SJI Fly app, using DJI Assistant is a viable option.
2019-12-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules