Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Weird transparent line when using 2.7k to record video
123Next >
5959 85 2019-11-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bakflow
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1494101 ft
United States

Hi, as the title says, the videos I record at 2.7k (It doesn't happen at 1080p which is weird) have a horizontal transparent line at the very bottom. A friend of mine allowed me to use his drone to test this and it has the line as well. I have included a video of someone on Youtube that shows the issue I'm having. Could it be fixed with a firmware update?

2019-11-24
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thank you for reaching out. It seems that we cannot identify the issue that you are having right now based on the video that you had provided since the video shows perfectly. Can you please try to clarify what is the timeframe did the issue happens? Also, can you please try to use a different PC to play the video on 2.7k resolution or use a different video playback application to see if the problem persists. Thank you for your understanding and support!
2019-11-24
Use props
BobB
Captain
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 11-24 14:59
Hi, thank you for reaching out. It seems that we cannot identify the issue that you are having right now based on the video that you had provided since the video shows perfectly. Can you please try to clarify what is the timeframe did the issue happens? Also, can you please try to use a different PC to play the video on 2.7k resolution or use a different video playback application to see if the problem persists. Thank you for your understanding and support!

I don't see anything either. We need an arrow or some pointer pointing at the place maybe to show us where this line is please.
2019-11-24
Use props
urbanweb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 33963 ft
United Kingdom

Sounds like a monitor/screen issue on the pc/Mac you are editing on!
2019-11-24
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

BobB Posted at 11-24 15:15
I don't see anything either. We need an arrow or some pointer pointing at the place maybe to show us where this line is please.

Hi, Bob. I will wait for bakflow for his reply to us to further identify the issue. Thank you for your support!
2019-11-24
Use props
Jollyroger Hobbies
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17392 ft
United States

Hi, thank you for reaching out. It seems that we cannot identify the issue that you are having right now based on the video that you had provided since the video shows perfectly. Can you please try to clarify what is the timeframe did the issue happens? Also, can you please try to use a different PC to play the video on 2.7k resolution or use a different video playback application to see if the problem persists. Thank you for your understanding and support!

I do not see anything either. I thought i was blind haha! but nope, not seeing it. Sorry I tried.
2019-11-24
Use props
bakflow
lvl.3
United States

Hi, thank you for reaching out. It seems that we cannot identify the issue that you are having right now based on the video that you had provided since the video shows perfectly. Can you please try to clarify what is the timeframe did the issue happens? Also, can you please try to use a different PC to play the video on 2.7k resolution or use a different video playback application to see if the problem persists. Thank you for your understanding and support!

Sorry, I should have clarified that the transparent line is easier to notice at the 5-15 second mark as the drone flies over the small bushes. It goes across the whole screen horizontally at the lowest point of the video. Also, it is incredibly difficult to see it on a smaller screen. The first time I saw it was using my TV with KODI to play it. VLC on my computer doesn't seem to show the issue, but the native app for Windows called "Movies & TV" displays it as well. I don't have any program to show an arrow of where it is, but it is there. This is not really a big deal, but I'm just curious why it only happens at 2.7k and not 1080p.
2019-11-24
Use props
djiuser_a2mDmaJHdStx
lvl.4
United Kingdom

If it helps, I am able to see what you are talking about.

To me it looks like something has gone slightly wrong with how the clip has been scaled/rendered.  i.e. it looks like something is slightly off with the aspect ratio, leading to two noticeable effects (to my eyes):

1. It looks like there are tiny black borders on the left and right edges of the frame
2. At the top and bottom of the frame it looks as though the final row(s) of data have been stretched/extrapolated/inferred and therefore have this odd, flickery "transparent" look that you describe.

I downloaded a couple of the original clips (which are linked to in the youtube video), and I don't think these oddities are present in those original clips, which supports the idea that this issue relates to how the clips have been edited/scaled or encoded, rather than a problem with the Mavic Mini output, IMO.

Hope that helps.  You definitely aren't imagining it!
2019-11-24
Use props
bakflow
lvl.3
United States

djiuser_a2mDmaJHdStx Posted at 11-24 17:21

To me it looks like something has gone slightly wrong with how the clip has been scaled/rendered.  i.e. it looks like something is slightly off with the aspect ratio, leading to two noticeable effects (to my eyes):

Hey djiuser_a2mDmaJHdStx,

Thanks for seeing it. I thought I was going crazy for a minute, lol.

I went ahead and downloaded one of the raw files like you did and as I stated before, VLC doesn't show anything, but another player like KODI does. I'm starting to think that it might be a small compatibility issue with the codec the Mini uses to record videos (specifically at 2.7k) and the player used.
2019-11-24
Use props
Jollyroger Hobbies
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17392 ft
United States

bakflow Posted at 11-24 16:40
Sorry, I should have clarified that the transparent line is easier to notice at the 5-15 second mark as the drone flies over the small bushes. It goes across the whole screen horizontally at the lowest point of the video. Also, it is incredibly difficult to see it on a smaller screen. The first time I saw it was using my TV with KODI to play it. VLC on my computer doesn't seem to show the issue, but the native app for Windows called "Movies & TV" displays it as well. I don't have any program to show an arrow of where it is, but it is there. This is not really a big deal, but I'm just curious why it only happens at 2.7k and not 1080p.

now that you pointed it out, I can see it at the very bottom edge of the screen. I have not shot it 2.7k yet so I'm not able to check my footage. I have only shot in 1080P. But I do see it in your example. As stated, it looks as if the video isn't rendering at the bottom edge. As soon as the bad weather is over, i'll try to get mine out and shoot some 2.7K and see if I have the same issue.
2019-11-24
Use props
bakflow
lvl.3
United States

Jollyroger Hobbies Posted at 11-24 19:33
now that you pointed it out, I can see it at the very bottom edge of the screen. I have not shot it 2.7k yet so I'm not able to check my footage. I have only shot in 1080P. But I do see it in your example. As stated, it looks as if the video isn't rendering at the bottom edge. As soon as the bad weather is over, i'll try to get mine out and shoot some 2.7K and see if I have the same issue.

That's great. I'm very interested in knowing if this is a common thing with mavic minis.
2019-11-24
Use props
Lucas775
Captain
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sounds like a monitor/screen issue.
2019-11-24
Use props
KlooGee
Captain
Flight distance : 16641309 ft
  • >>>
United States

bakflow Posted at 11-24 19:48
That's great. I'm very interested in knowing if this is a common thing with mavic minis.

I've seen it on mine as well and a viewer of one of my videos had commented about them noticing it too.
2019-11-24
Use props
Milo Van
lvl.1
Flight distance : 10161 ft
Singapore

guys, he is referring to the line at the bottom, easier to see while the video is playing as it does not match the rest of the video on the screen. it's like a pixelated bar across the bottom.

i've seen other guys post a video on youtube and complain about it too. but it's not present on all the mavic mini videos.
2019-11-24
Use props
bakflow
lvl.3
United States

Milo Van Posted at 11-24 23:11
[view_image]

guys, he is referring to the line at the bottom, easier to see while the video is playing as it does not match the rest of the video on the screen. it's like a pixelated bar across the bottom.

Yep, that's it! I tried uploading some raw footage, but the line disappears from the uploaded video. I think the only reason it even shows up on some Youtube videos is probably because they were edited prior to uploading them. It is the weirdest thing.
2019-11-25
Use props
djiuser_LhCQo19uB1Jz
lvl.1
Italy

Same problem here. Look down of the video....have solution?
2019-11-25
Use props
BobB
Captain
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

bakflow Posted at 11-25 10:17
Yep, that's it! I tried uploading some raw footage, but the line disappears from the uploaded video. I think the only reason it even shows up on some Youtube videos is probably because they were edited prior to uploading them. It is the weirdest thing.

If it is not on the bottom then it goes to the top at times also if you look at it.
2019-11-25
Use props
djiuser_LhCQo19uB1Jz
lvl.1
Italy

2019-11-25
Use props
djiuser_LhCQo19uB1Jz
lvl.1
Italy

2019-11-25
Use props
djiuser_LhCQo19uB1Jz
lvl.1
Italy

Same problem. From my second Flight, video comes like that. I notice that on 1080p and 2.7k. maybe an app problem? My aspect ratio Is sected to 16:9 on the app. I try ti Watch It on the tablet and on the phone....same problem. The First 5/6  video that i have done with mini have not this problem. Help
2019-11-25
Use props
Rogerq
lvl.3
Flight distance : 59416 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I am amazed that some people can't see this, I assume it is something to do with the device you are viewing on cropping the bad bits off?

It really is awful on the footage from my mini, mostly at the bottom of the video, but there is also a smaller line across the top.

If I upload to YouTube it isn't as obvious, but on a large screen it really does ruin the video. (I see the same both on my TV and on my Windows PC)

Its also present on 1080p video, but not as obvious as on the 2.7k  footage
2019-11-25
Use props
bakflow
lvl.3
United States

djiuser_LhCQo19uB1Jz Posted at 11-25 15:53
Same problem. From my second Flight, video comes like that. I notice that on 1080p and 2.7k. maybe an app problem? My aspect ratio Is sected to 16:9 on the app. I try ti Watch It on the tablet and on the phone....same problem. The First 5/6  video that i have done with mini have not this problem. Help

It could be an app problem or an issue with the drone's firmware. Let's hope a DJI moderator has an idea on what can be done about it.
2019-11-25
Use props
bakflow
lvl.3
United States

Rogerq Posted at 11-25 16:55
I am amazed that some people can't see this, I assume it is something to do with the device you are viewing on cropping the bad bits off?

It really is awful on the footage from my mini, mostly at the bottom of the video, but there is also a smaller line across the top.

I'm almost certain that the devices used to watch the footage are not the issue. My brother has a Mavic 2 Pro and his footage looks great on my TV as well as Windows PC.
2019-11-25
Use props
Rogerq
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

bakflow Posted at 11-25 17:07
I'm almost certain that the devices used to watch the footage are not the issue. My brother has a Mavic 2 Pro and his footage looks great on my TV as well as Windows PC.

I agree. The problem is in the original encoding of the video.

I did originally think it might be some sort of Windows Codec issue, but having played it on my TV and also seeing this issue on some YouTube videos (which are re-coded) it was apparent that wasn't the case.

What I meant is that maybe it isn't visible on some devices because they aren't displaying the full image (ie. cropping the edges) or the resolution/size is poor (eg on a mobile phone) so that it isn't obvious.
2019-11-26
Use props
Rogerq
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

bakflow Posted at 11-25 17:06
It could be an app problem or an issue with the drone's firmware. Let's hope a DJI moderator has an idea on what can be done about it.

Nothing to do with the App.

If you don't use the App at all and just record a video with the drone and remove and use the footage on the SD card it has the problem.

Hopefully a firmware tweak will cure this or I will have to return mine.
2019-11-26
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Captain
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

djiuser_a2mDmaJHdStx Posted at 11-24 17:21

Yes that is exactly what I noticed too, two black lines at the right and left of the image.
Since the video is scaled up to 4K, I guess this is something to do with the aspect ration within the render software used to edit the video.
2019-11-26
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Captain
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

It looks like Kodi is stretching the last pixels to fill the empty gap.
2019-11-26
Use props
bakflow
lvl.3
United States

Rogerq Posted at 11-26 02:42
Nothing to do with the App.

If you don't use the App at all and just record a video with the drone and remove and use the footage on the SD card it has the problem.
Yeah it can't be the app. The videos are being recorded directly into the SD card in the drone.
2019-11-26
Use props
MikeCH
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10681565 ft
Germany

I have the exact same issue!
2019-11-26
Use props
Rogerq
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A bit more research on this:

It IS visible when viewed or edited on my Windows 10 PC
It IS visible when viewed on my Android Tablet
It IS visible when viewed on my LG TV

It ISN'T visible when viewed on an iPad

So this is pointing a bit towards how devices are actually rendering the footage, presumably because something isn't quite correct in the original encoding of the file.
2019-11-26
Use props
Rogerq
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Jollyroger Hobbies Posted at 11-24 19:33
now that you pointed it out, I can see it at the very bottom edge of the screen. I have not shot it 2.7k yet so I'm not able to check my footage. I have only shot in 1080P. But I do see it in your example. As stated, it looks as if the video isn't rendering at the bottom edge. As soon as the bad weather is over, i'll try to get mine out and shoot some 2.7K and see if I have the same issue.

Just take some 2.7K footage indoors, don't start the props its obvious if you handhold the drone and start the video recording. It is present on both 1080 and 2.7K, but a lot worse on the 2.7K stuff.
2019-11-26
Use props
DroneVideoGuy
lvl.1

Canada

Try out the new update and see if it's still there. Hope it gets fixed!
2019-11-26
Use props
bakflow
lvl.3
United States

Rogerq Posted at 11-26 15:57
A bit more research on this:

It IS visible when viewed or edited on my Windows 10 PC

That's exactly what I think is going on. The encoder seems to be what's behind all of this. Also, I read your other post about returning your mavic mini. I'm almost sure that a firmware update will/could fix this easily.
2019-11-26
Use props
bakflow
lvl.3
United States

DroneVideoGuy Posted at 11-26 16:17
Try out the new update and see if it's still there. Hope it gets fixed!
It will most likely still be there after the app update as I think the drone's FW is the one that needs updating. Will try it out and see anyways when I get a chance.
2019-11-26
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi there, we are sorry for the confusion that you encountered. We've confirmed it with the related team, it was the difference between the hardware decoding and software decoding, you are recommended to try professional players such as Potplayer, it will be disappeared; It also won't happen when you edit the video with editing software. Thanks.
2019-11-27
Use props
Rogerq
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Natalia Posted at 11-27 04:02
Hi there, we are sorry for the confusion that you encountered. We've confirmed it with the related team, it was the difference between the hardware decoding and software decoding, you are recommended to try professional players such as Potplayer, it will be disappeared; It also won't happen when you edit the video with editing software. Thanks.

It is still visible after editing with Power Director 16 (Windows 10)
2019-11-27
Use props
Rogerq
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_vdIwrFb6B2mN Posted at 11-27 01:39
Does this line show up when you play the raw unedited video back on a TV straight from the SD card?  I ask because I have a video quality problem shooting in 2.7k - a ripple effect/artefact at both the top and bottom of the video clip BUT only when panning left/right or moving the drone left/right. Here is a link to a discussion I started last week:  https://forum.dji.com/thread-202436-1-1.html   And here is a link to some raw unedited video I took just now (the sun is out) illustrating my issue:  
https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... 4A/view?usp=sharing   I'm not the only one with the specific problem I've got.  I've also seen videos showing other problems in 2.7k - for example, what our friends in the US call the 'jello' effect (where the whole clip wobbles) and noise/artefacts at the bottom of the video clip that looks like interference or noise transmitted from a radio or something

Shows up on raw unedited on my LG TV  (PAL).

It isn't "jello". The video itself is steady.
2019-11-27
Use props
bakflow
lvl.3
United States

djiuser_vdIwrFb6B2mN Posted at 11-27 01:39
Does this line show up when you play the raw unedited video back on a TV straight from the SD card?  I ask because I have a video quality problem shooting in 2.7k - a ripple effect/artefact at both the top and bottom of the video clip BUT only when panning left/right or moving the drone left/right. Here is a link to a discussion I started last week:  https://forum.dji.com/thread-202436-1-1.html   And here is a link to some raw unedited video I took just now (the sun is out) illustrating my issue:  
https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... 4A/view?usp=sharing   I'm not the only one with the specific problem I've got.  I've also seen videos showing other problems in 2.7k - for example, what our friends in the US call the 'jello' effect (where the whole clip wobbles) and noise/artefacts at the bottom of the video clip that looks like interference or noise transmitted from a radio or something

I'm not getting the ripple effect or any artifacts, but the line is present on the raw footage when watching on my TV straight from the SD card.
2019-11-27
Use props
Darkvash
lvl.1
Italy

Im Sorry but i think Is not like this because i have the problem only with some kind of video. The First videos ive done was good, now i see the problem. I tried with mxplayer , VLC, on tablet and smartphone(oneplus 6t).
2019-11-27
Use props
bakflow
lvl.3
United States

If other drones (like the Mavic 2 Pro) don't display this issue on any of the players I have tested, I feel that the mini shouldn't either.
2019-11-27
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules