Auto Landing instead of Return to Home
11788 39 2019-11-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
davidms
lvl.4
Flight distance : 428186 ft
Canada

So I did a quick flight last night. Just wanted to grab some night shots to play around with. My device is an iPhone 11 Pro Max.  I took off, updated my home position as I always do, and went up to 280ft to take some shots. I was only up 3 minutes and decided I had enough shots and used the app to initiate RTH, which I have done probably a dozen times now on flights over the last week. Instead of the Mini coming back to me (it was maybe 50ft away) it was obvious it was going to land in the neighbors yard and not return to the home point. I cancelled the RTH and flew it back, no biggie. I've been thinking over whether the Mini uses GPS, the downward facing sensors, or a combination of both to RTH. I pulled up the flight log today to see if anything seemed out of the ordinary and at the point which I initiated the RTH the logs instead say Auto Landing was initiated. The problem is, I know for a fact I initiated RTH, not Auto Landing. Do we have a bug in the Fly app??

David
Flight Log:

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Y0J8UTRUTBDYTJBKE80C

2019-11-24
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

someone will help because i cannot at this point but since you brought it up, what exactly is the point of "auto land" now?  why exactly would anyone want to land exactly wherever they are?  i guess i'm asking the question from the standpoint of why it's on par with rth, why are they both on the same scale?  maybe auto land needs to be something separate and different and purposely/explicitely utilized and specifically in those rare instance when you need it but shouldn't these drone always try to return to home and have to be "forced' to land wherever they are?  trying to think of a common use case....99% of the time where and how i fly landing instantly will be a disaster.  i could use a button to disable it or force a prompt to ask me "are you sure you want to land now?"
eta:  emergency situation like an error or a malfunction or all of a sudden a dead battery, understood.
2019-11-24
Use props
djiuser_VlxZYwNOHCX4
New
United States

The Saint Posted at 11-24 17:56
someone will help because i cannot at this point but since you brought it up, what exactly is the point of "auto land" now?  why exactly would anyone want to land exactly wherever they are?  i guess i'm asking the question from the standpoint of why it's on par with rth, why are they both on the same scale?  maybe auto land needs to be something separate and different and purposely/explicitely utilized and specifically in those rare instance when you need it but shouldn't these drone always try to return to home and have to be "forced' to land wherever they are?  trying to think of a common use case....99% of the time where and how i fly landing instantly will be a disaster.  i could use a button to disable it or force a prompt to ask me "are you sure you want to land now?"
eta:  emergency situation like an error or a malfunction or all of a sudden a dead battery, understood.

I agree that the auto land should be completely disabled or used only as a last resort.  In fact, just a day or two ago, I was flying nearly a mile away from my take off point and when I lost connection to my Mavic Mini, I did a double take and probably messed in my pants a little when i saw the auto land button pop up.  I never EVER want to land anywhere but the EXACT same point where i took off from.  I have no idea why this auto land is even an option, or why its so large next to the essential return to home feature.  The auto land DEFINITELY needs a toggle to be completely disabled, except for emergency situations as you stated in your above comment.
2019-11-24
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi David,

Had a look at your log.

The log shows that you did not initiate a RTH but started an autolanding.
So my guess is a 'finger-trouble'.

BTW, do you use iOS or Android ? (as in the log mini log is not written in text but as a number for wich OS is used)

cheers
JJB
analysis1.png
2019-11-25
Use props
Cookster670
Second Officer
Australia

i almost auto landed the other day too.  I think it’s a bit too easy to autoland instead of RTH

I don’t actually have an issue with an autoland feature, but it would be rare and should be harder to initiate.

The one example I can think of is if youre say follwing an object (maybe even Active Tracking one day) and want to land the drone at the destination.   
2019-11-25
Use props
RichRob
lvl.2
United Kingdom

If you are less than 20m away from the Home Point and initiate RTH, then the Mavic Mini will land straight away instead. This is detailed in the manual:
2019-11-25
Use props
RichRob
lvl.2
United Kingdom

If you are less than 20m away from the Home Point when RTH is initiated, then the aircraft will land immediately. This is detailed in the user manual on page 13, RTH Procedure 4b
2019-11-25
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

Sort of off-topic, but how do you download that flight log from the DJI Fly app?
2019-11-25
Use props
davidms
lvl.4
Flight distance : 428186 ft
Canada

RichRob Posted at 11-25 00:40
If you are less than 20m away from the Home Point when RTH is initiated, then the aircraft will land immediately. This is detailed in the user manual on page 13, RTH Procedure 4b

Without a doubt I did hit the RTH and not the Auto Land button but I was less than 20m from my home point. As per the manual the drone did as indicated and went into auto landing mode.

At any rate, I’m reading a lot of unhappy people with regards to the mini and issues. Mine was trivial and more to help me understand how the mini navigates a RTH. Overall I’m very happy with the mini. Stability is better than I expected, camera is not 4K but shoots fantastic video/images, and the price point is spot on. It’s fun to fly and easier to travel with than my mavic pro. I think DJI knocked it out of the park with the mini. Keep in mind no product is free of bugs, especially on a first iteration!

2019-11-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

davidms Posted at 11-25 04:38
Without a doubt I did hit the RTH and not the Auto Land button but I was less than 20m from my home point. As per the manual the drone did as indicated and went into auto landing mode.

At any rate, I’m reading a lot of unhappy people with regards to the mini and issues. Mine was trivial and more to help me understand how the mini navigates a RTH. Overall I’m very happy with the mini. Stability is better than I expected, camera is not 4K but shoots fantastic video/images, and the price point is spot on. It’s fun to fly and easier to travel with than my mavic pro. I think DJI knocked it out of the park with the mini. Keep in mind no product is free of bugs, especially on a first iteration!

There is nothing wrong with the way the system is set to work, but it seems that many would rather learn on the fly rather than read the manual.

I’ll give you a perfect instance where your mini will be far better off with the system the way it is set up.
Consider your flying in a forest pretty dense, mini can fly in such places quite easy and you can get exceptional footage, so you keep your craft within 60ft in Vlos if you lose signal if you decide to hit Rth , your craft will not rise up and crash into the trees it will simply land safely.

If you are aware as you should be that within 20m of homepoint your craft will land then it’s simple you know how it works.

I remember when this feature was not available so many crashes so close to home, low battery 5ft from home craft tries to rise to set Rth crashes just under the roof the tree in my yard my neighbors shed so many.

The only problem I see here is simple , not reading and understanding the manual, and when it goes wrong just say this is not a good idea.

Believe me this is a good idea .
2019-11-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Ice_2k Posted at 11-25 00:47
Sort of off-topic, but how do you download that flight log from the DJI Fly app?

Click on link follow instructions

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2019-11-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

The Saint Posted at 11-24 17:56
someone will help because i cannot at this point but since you brought it up, what exactly is the point of "auto land" now?  why exactly would anyone want to land exactly wherever they are?  i guess i'm asking the question from the standpoint of why it's on par with rth, why are they both on the same scale?  maybe auto land needs to be something separate and different and purposely/explicitely utilized and specifically in those rare instance when you need it but shouldn't these drone always try to return to home and have to be "forced' to land wherever they are?  trying to think of a common use case....99% of the time where and how i fly landing instantly will be a disaster.  i could use a button to disable it or force a prompt to ask me "are you sure you want to land now?"

There are many instances but one quite common one flying indoors within 20m would you prefer if you lost transmission signal that your craft would go to the 30m Rth setting you set in the app, I think your craft would end up in the ceiling.
If flying in the forest would you prefer if low battery set off Rth and again your craft got stuck up a tree.

If for instance as many do you took off from a sheltered area and when flying back you were 2ft from home and low battery kicked in Rth and your craft went straight up into the underside of the shelter mmmmmm
2019-11-25
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

Ice_2k Posted at 11-25 00:47

You need to sintall iTunes on PC or Mac, and connect your phone with a cable, then in iTunes check the File Sharing Apps, DJI FLY should be there, and inside a folder called FlightRecords.
2019-11-25
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

davidms Posted at 11-25 04:38

At any rate, I’m reading a lot of unhappy people with regards to the mini and issues. Mine was trivial and more to help me understand how the mini navigates a RTH. Overall I’m very happy with the mini. Stability is better than I expected, camera is not 4K but shoots fantastic video/images, and the price point is spot on. It’s fun to fly and easier to travel with than my mavic pro. I think DJI knocked it out of the park with the mini. Keep in mind no product is free of bugs, especially on a first iteration!

Yes I agree that autolanding only because is less than 20m away is risky.
They should promt you with a few option, like autoland or RTH but not just do it automatically.
2019-11-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

InspektorGadjet Posted at 11-25 05:21
Yes I agree that autolanding only because is less than 20m away is risky.
They should promt you with a few option, like autoland or RTH but not just do it automatically.

If you lose signal how will it prompt you then ?
2019-11-25
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

InspektorGadjet Posted at 11-25 05:21
Yes I agree that autolanding only because is less than 20m away is risky.

One option would be to allow Pilots to change 20m (or 65-feet) to lesser distance.  
2019-11-25
Use props
Bright Spark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22129 ft
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 11-25 05:17
There are many instances but one quite common one flying indoors within 20m would you prefer if you lost transmission signal that your craft would go to the 30m Rth setting you set in the app, I think your craft would end up in the ceiling.
If flying in the forest would you prefer if low battery set off Rth and again your craft got stuck up a tree.

If you're flying indoors, you may well have no gps so it can't rth.
2019-11-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Bright Spark Posted at 11-25 07:52
If you're flying indoors, you may well have no gps so it can't rth.

You can also have gps indoors you can drift from gps to opti mode very normal, and you can’t just shut off gps .
This system of landing is in most dji drones, the only problem here is not understanding Rth or checking it out, but you don't have mavic air pilots landing all over the place in rivers and lakes etc, as soon as people become familiar this will not be a problem, RTFM it's the oldest saying around here and it's not for nothing .
2019-11-25
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Romania

InspektorGadjet Posted at 11-25 05:20
You need to sintall iTunes on PC or Mac, and connect your phone with a cable, then in iTunes check the File Sharing Apps, DJI FLY should be there, and inside a folder called FlightRecords.

FlightRecords folder appears to be empty. Even though I can see all my flights in the `Profile` section of the DJI Fly app.
2019-11-25
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

have never used auto land.  don't need it so prominent.  all i am asking for is a way to demote it, not to eliminate it.
2019-11-25
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 11-25 07:34
One option would be to allow Pilots to change 20m (or 65-feet) to lesser distance.

Agreed,  it makes sense to have it, but 20m is quite some distance would be great to be able to set that number higher or lower.
2019-11-26
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

Ice_2k Posted at 11-25 08:06
FlightRecords folder appears to be empty. Even though I can see all my flights in the `Profile` section of the DJI Fly app.

Somewhere in the APP you can turn on or off the collection of data flight, alternatively, are you using/ logged in the correct DJI account?
2019-11-26
Use props
Bright Spark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22129 ft
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 11-25 08:05
You can also have gps indoors you can drift from gps to opti mode very normal, and you can’t just shut off gps .
This system of landing is in most dji drones, the only problem here is not understanding Rth or checking it out, but you don't have mavic air pilots landing all over the place in rivers and lakes etc, as soon as people become familiar this will not be a problem, RTFM it's the oldest saying around here and it's not for nothing .

I did say may.
Just saying that landing  behaviour will vary according to gps  or atti mode, and distance away.
2019-11-26
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Romania

InspektorGadjet Posted at 11-26 01:20
Somewhere in the APP you can turn on or off the collection of data flight, alternatively, are you using/ logged in the correct DJI account?

The only thing I see here is `Sync Flight Data -> Auto-sync Flight Records`, which is turned on. There is no "wrong" account available since I only have the one
2019-11-26
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

Ice_2k Posted at 11-26 02:14
The only thing I see here is `Sync Flight Data -> Auto-sync Flight Records`, which is turned on. There is no "wrong" account available since I only have the one

Not sure then, I have stuff inside the folder, log out and log in again, some things weren't showing on mine some days ago, login back in helped, alternatively contact support if the issue persists.
2019-11-26
Use props
vineash00199
New

Pakistan

I agree that the automobile land should be completely disabled or used only as a remaining motel.  In reality, only a day or  in the past, I changed into flying almost a mile faraway from my take off point and after I lost connection to my Mavic Mini, I did a double take and probably messed in my pants a touch whilst i noticed the auto land button pop up.  I in no way EVER want to land everywhere but the EXACT identical point wherein i took off from.  I haven't any idea why this automobile land is even an choice, or why its so big subsequent to the important return to domestic function at https://www.embroideryguidance.com .  The vehicle land DEFINITELY wishes a toggle to be completely disabled, except for emergency situations as you stated in your above remark.
2020-2-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

vineash00199 Posted at 2-7 19:33
I agree that the automobile land should be completely disabled or used only as a remaining motel.  In reality, only a day or  in the past, I changed into flying almost a mile faraway from my take off point and after I lost connection to my Mavic Mini, I did a double take and probably messed in my pants a touch whilst i noticed the auto land button pop up.  I in no way EVER want to land everywhere but the EXACT identical point wherein i took off from.  I haven't any idea why this automobile land is even an choice, or why its so big subsequent to the important return to domestic function at https://www.embroideryguidance.com .  The vehicle land DEFINITELY wishes a toggle to be completely disabled, except for emergency situations as you stated in your above remark.

Someday when your flying home and just about to land 1foot from home and low battery kicks in craft climbs to 50m, then you might fully mess your pants ;+):::

They’re are also many good points for landing within 20m you just need to be aware .
2020-2-8
Use props
philgib
lvl.3

France

When going in auto-landing,  is there any way to stop the process ?
2020-2-23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

philgib Posted at 2-23 14:35
When going in auto-landing,  is there any way to stop the process ?

Set your drone to another flight mode and back to P-GPS mode.
2020-2-23
Use props
philgib
lvl.3

France

Labroides Posted at 2-23 14:40
Set your drone to another flight mode and back to P-GPS mode.

Thanks mate
2020-2-23
Use props
djiuser_aMImUJRx19QT
New

United States

Last night my mavic air decided to auto land after I had absolutely hit return to home.  So frustrating because it landed where I can't get it.
2020-8-25
Use props
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Don't rely on return to home to get the drone back to you. If you activate RTH under 20m away it will simply land instead of return to home.
2020-8-25
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

Two comments.  First with regards to the data files, installing iTunes is ONLY a requirement if you are using an iPhone.  If you have a real phone (in other words, an Android), you do not need iTunes.  Just plug the phone into your computer, and if needed, tell it that you want to use the USB connection for data transfer.  Navigate to the previously mentioned folder and copy the files to your PC.  As you discovered, since you have Data Sync turned on, there are no .DAT files.  My solution to that is I have a P-Touch label on my controller that reminds me to turn off Data Sync when I fly.  After I have copied the files to the computer, I turn Data Sync back on.

Second comment.  As previously mentioned, RTH will AutoLand if less than 20 meters from RTH location.  Beyond that it will do whatever of the three options YOU set - RTH (the default), Hover, or AutoLand.  This is all well documented.  The fact that you did not know what it would do is not DJI's fault.  You're the pilot - know your aircraft.
2020-8-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

K6CCC Posted at 8-25 14:19
Two comments.  First with regards to the data files, installing iTunes is ONLY a requirement if you are using an iPhone.  If you have a real phone (in other words, an Android), you do not need iTunes.  Just plug the phone into your computer, and if needed, tell it that you want to use the USB connection for data transfer.  Navigate to the previously mentioned folder and copy the files to your PC.  As you discovered, since you have Data Sync turned on, there are no .DAT files.  My solution to that is I have a P-Touch label on my controller that reminds me to turn off Data Sync when I fly.  After I have copied the files to the computer, I turn Data Sync back on.

Second comment.  As previously mentioned, RTH will AutoLand if less than 20 meters from RTH location.  Beyond that it will do whatever of the three options YOU set - RTH (the default), Hover, or AutoLand.  This is all well documented.  The fact that you did not know what it would do is not DJI's fault.  You're the pilot - know your aircraft.

RTH will AutoLand if less than 20 meters from RTH location.  Beyond that it will do whatever of the three options YOU set - RTH (the default), Hover, or AutoLand.  This is all well documented.
You might be surprised to learn that RTH cannot be set to Hover, Land or RTH at all.
RTH is RTH
What you are thinking of is is Loss of Signal action - something completely different but also well documented.
2020-8-25
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I believe that just depends on what the definition of "it" is. Perhaps he would have better said "said" ;-)
2020-8-25
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
Flight distance : 320951 ft
New Zealand

hallmark007 Posted at 2-8 08:02
Someday when your flying home and just about to land 1foot from home and low battery kicks in craft climbs to 50m, then you might fully mess your pants ;+):::

They’re are also many good points for landing within 20m you just need to be aware .

Isn't the answer to this for everytime you launch your drone the RTH behaviour pops up as a choice and you are reminded to make a decision based on where you are flying. In the event you have extreme low battery then shouldn't DJI also incorporate programming autolanding in that extreme case. Won't solve all cases of unexpected or inappropriate RTH behaviour but would cover the majority...

I was testing Dronelink recently and never expected the system to just lock up and freeze, couldn't hit the RTH button once and cancel the plan, couldn't use RTH at all, couldn't use the sticks, nothing worked. So I restarted the controller, was risky and the drone was right above my peaked roof and less than 20m away. Luckily in that case I regained control just in time and flew to safety but if I had have been able to choose RTH behaviour and at that range have it rise up to 15m then along and down to Home Point I would have been sweet. Ok I wasn't using DJI software but any number of calamities could have prevailed causing something similar.
2020-8-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Bussty Posted at 8-25 18:58
Isn't the answer to this for everytime you launch your drone the RTH behaviour pops up as a choice and you are reminded to make a decision based on where you are flying. In the event you have extreme low battery then shouldn't DJI also incorporate programming autolanding in that extreme case. Won't solve all cases of unexpected or inappropriate RTH behaviour but would cover the majority...

I was testing Dronelink recently and never expected the system to just lock up and freeze, couldn't hit the RTH button once and cancel the plan, couldn't use RTH at all, couldn't use the sticks, nothing worked. So I restarted the controller, was risky and the drone was right above my peaked roof and less than 20m away. Luckily in that case I regained control just in time and flew to safety but if I had have been able to choose RTH behaviour and at that range have it rise up to 15m then along and down to Home Point I would have been sweet. Ok I wasn't using DJI software but any number of calamities could have prevailed causing something similar.

I think djis Rth is as good as you are going to get, using drone link and app crashing is down to dronelink.
Choosing your Rth before flight is always a good practice.
2020-8-26
Use props
AidanDroneFan
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1079094 ft
Canada

If the drone is closer than 65ft away (20m) when you click the RTH button it will just start landing but if you go farther than 65 feet away than an actual return the home will be initiated
2020-8-26
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

Labroides Posted at 8-25 16:57
RTH will AutoLand if less than 20 meters from RTH location.  Beyond that it will do whatever of the three options YOU set - RTH (the default), Hover, or AutoLand.  This is all well documented.
You might be surprised to learn that RTH cannot be set to Hover, Land or RTH at all.
RTH is RTH

I stand corrected - and I knew that.
2020-8-26
Use props
Mymanhood
lvl.1
Flight distance : 17986 ft
Kazakhstan

Hi There All,

This is my first post and sorry to jump in on an older posting but has anybody had this issue with a Mavic pro 2?  I was flying my Mavic pro arounf the Wallace monument in Stirling when it suddly flashed up on the control of High wind and then intitiated a RTH command and asked me to confim.  Before i could confirm, the Drone lost signal and has never been seen again.  I contacted DJI and they say that the log indecates that i manually gave a signal to auto land.  THIS IS NOT WHAT HAPPENED! but it is what the log says and the logs also mention nothing about the high wind warning nor the loss of signal.

Is this a common problem.  DJi are claiming pilot error, however i didnt have the chance to accept the requested RTH command let along give my own command before the signal was lost.

I hunted for 2 or 3 days around the monument and checked the last recorde point which was on the back side of the monument which a forrested cliff.  I also drove around the monument and got a signal back for a second where the camer looked like it was in the trees.  I tried the locater pings but could not hear the drone.  Yes i am upset at loosing the drone but more upset of lossing the footage. Its very diappointing but i am shocked about the results from the logs.

Kind regards,

Mymanhood

2020-12-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules