Raw photos in portrait from DJI OP rendering with a band at the top
2070 19 2019-11-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bons
lvl.3
Italy

Hi everybody!

I've been a satisfied user of Osmo Pocket for a few months now. I am new to the forum and would like to know if anyone has ever encountered a problem I have with my Osmo Pocket.

When I take a raw photo in portrait and transfer it to my macbook it shows well, but when I import the picture on Lightroom the rendered photo ends up with a weird band at the top.

Here is an example that shows a photo as it appears on Lightroom. It is clearly visible the strange band at the top.

raw photo as it appears on Lightroom

raw photo as it appears on Lightroom

If I take a photo in landscape it renders fine.

I also tried to use another computer and import the raw photo but I have the same problem. I also tried to calibrate the Osmo Pocket but the problem persist.

Has anyone ever had the same problem?

Thank you for any support!
2019-11-25
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi Bons, we are sorry to hear about the difficulties that you encountered. Could you please provide some original images for better analysis? You may upload it to Google Drive or Dropbox and then post the link here. Thanks.
2019-11-25
Use props
Bons
lvl.3
Italy

DJI Natalia Posted at 11-25 18:43
Hi Bons, we are sorry to hear about the difficulties that you encountered. Could you please provide some original images for better analysis? You may upload it to Google Drive or Dropbox and then post the link here. Thanks.

Good morning Natalia,

Here is the original raw photo take with the Osmo Pocket in portrait: https://www.dropbox.com/s/n3tl0leggsy1ln2/DJI_0552.DNG?dl=0

Here is the same photo as it appears on Lightroom and even when I export it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qty8m4353ggrafg/Test2.jpg?dl=0

Here is another original raw photo take with the Osmo Pocket: https://www.dropbox.com/s/iko69wobmviv8me/DJI_0503.DNG?dl=0

And here as it appears on Lightroom: https://www.dropbox.com/s/95wtq1b7y6ad0xj/Test.jpg?dl=0

Let me know if you need more information.

For me it's really important to have the opportunity to take raw photos with the Osmo Pocket, so if I can't solve this problem I will have to change the OP for another product.

Thank you very much for your help.
2019-11-26
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Bons Posted at 11-26 02:01
Good morning Natalia,

Here is the original raw photo take with the Osmo Pocket in portrait: https://www.dropbox.com/s/n3tl0leggsy1ln2/DJI_0552.DNG?dl=0

Hi Bons, thank you for providing the information, we have forwarded it to the related team for a check. If there is an update, we'll let you know. Appreciate your patience.
2019-11-27
Use props
Bons
lvl.3
Italy

DJI Natalia Posted at 11-27 19:10
Hi Bons, thank you for providing the information, we have forwarded it to the related team for a check. If there is an update, we'll let you know. Appreciate your patience.

Any update??

Is there anyone who can identify the problem?
2019-12-9
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Bons Posted at 12-9 03:16
Any update??

Is there anyone who can identify the problem?

Hi Bons, sorry for the late response, I have forwarded it to the related team again, I will get back to you soon when there is an update.  
2019-12-10
Use props
Bons
lvl.3
Italy

DJI Natalia Posted at 12-10 03:34
Hi Bons, sorry for the late response, I have forwarded it to the related team again, I will get back to you soon when there is an update.

Hi Natalia! I guess there's no update. I have the impression that even DJI engineers don't know what to do.

I'll wait a little longer for feedback, hoping to find a solution, or I'll say goodbye to Osmo Pocket.

Thank you for your help. Have a nice day!
2019-12-18
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Bons Posted at 12-18 02:00
Hi Natalia! I guess there's no update. I have the impression that even DJI engineers don't know what to do.

I'll wait a little longer for feedback, hoping to find a solution, or I'll say goodbye to Osmo Pocket.

Hi Bons, sorry again for all the inconvenience caused to you. I have pushed the related team, to know that our engineers already have the direction of analysis, however, they have not able to repeat the issue that happened to your Osmo Pocket, could you please help to provide more details for better analysis?
If it is convenient for you, please provide some operating instructions to tell us the specific method to repeat the issue, including the details of gimbal mode, shooting parameters, color mode, AWB, etc .; We look forward to hearing from you.
2019-12-19
Use props
Bons
lvl.3
Italy

Hi Natalia,

I apologize but I think I have explained the problem in the best possible way.

The problem is really easy to understand: if I take a vertical shot with the Osmo Pocket and import it on Lightroom, it looks bad.

When I import the DNG file on Lightroom the rendered photo ends up with a weird band at the top.

If I take a photo in landscape it renders fine.

Here is the original DNG vertical shot take with the Osmo Pocket: https://www.dropbox.com/s/n3tl0leggsy1ln2/DJI_0552.DNG?dl=0

Here is the same photo as it appears on Lightroom: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qty8m4353ggrafg/Test2.jpg?dl=0

Here are the operating instructions. That's exactly what I do:
1- I take a vertical DNG shot with Osmo Pocket
2- I Insert the SD card in my macbook
3- I import the DNG file on my Macbook (the DNG file looks good)
4- I import the DNG file on Lightroom but the rendered photo ends up with a weird band at the top. So I can't use the image.

Gimbal mode, shooting parameters, color mode, AWB, etc., are not relevant. The problem ALWAYS manifests itself with VERTICAL PHOTOS in ANY shooting mode.

I can't be clearer than that. I await your kind response.

Thank you,
Alessio

2019-12-20
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Bons Posted at 12-20 06:19
Hi Natalia,

Hi Alessio, thank you so much for the information. I'll help you forward it to the related team again.
2019-12-21
Use props
doxidox
lvl.1
Flight distance : 33343 ft
Austria

Bons Posted at 12-20 06:19
Hi Natalia,

Hi, I just wanted to state that I encounter the exact same problems with shots from my osmo pocket.

It seems to be a Problem with Adobe Camera Raw, since the windows photo app renders the shots perfectly fine. As soon as you import the dng file in camera raw via lightroom/photoshop/bridge, the strange band at the top appears.

Here is a related thread from the Adobe Photoshop forum:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/raw-photos-in-portrait-from-dji-osmo-pocket-rendering-with-a-discolored-band-at-the-top

Maybe this helps.
2019-12-21
Use props
Bons
lvl.3
Italy

doxidox Posted at 12-21 05:27
Hi, I just wanted to state that I encounter the exact same problems with shots from my osmo pocket.

It seems to be a Problem with Adobe Camera Raw, since the windows photo app renders the shots perfectly fine. As soon as you import the dng file in camera raw via lightroom/photoshop/bridge, the strange band at the top appears.

Hi, I read the same thread from the Adobe forum. There was no response or feedback of any kind.

2019-12-27
Use props
doxidox
lvl.1
Flight distance : 33343 ft
Austria

Bons Posted at 2019-12-27 11:44
Hi, I read the same thread from the Adobe forum. There was no response or feedback of any kind.

Yes, very frustrating. I just finished developing around 600 pictures taken with the Osmo Pocket from our last holiday trip and only 7 of them had the problem with the strange color stripe in it. Other pictures taken in portrait mode were not effected.

So I had the idea that maybe it has something to do with the way the camera was held while taking the pictures!

I did a quick check in my room right now. For the first picture, I rotated the Osmo Pocket CLOCKWISE into portrait mode. The picture came out perfectly fine.

Then I rotated the Osmo Pocket COUNTER-CLOCKWISE into portrait mode and ... voila ... you get the nasty stripe at the top.

Please DJI, figure out why this is happening. It must be a small bug.

Until then, remember to always rotate clockwise!
2020-1-3
Use props
Bons
lvl.3
Italy

doxidox Posted at 1-3 06:54
Yes, very frustrating. I just finished developing around 600 pictures taken with the Osmo Pocket from our last holiday trip and only 7 of them had the problem with the strange color stripe in it. Other pictures taken in portrait mode were not effected.

So I had the idea that maybe it has something to do with the way the camera was held while taking the pictures!

Hi! A while ago I did the same test. The problem comes both ways.

Look carefully at your photos. The nasty stripe is in both.

If you turn the Osmo Pocket CLOCKWISE the stripe is at the bottom.
If you turn the Osmo Pocket COUNTER-CLOCKWISE the stripe is at the top.

It's really frustrating!!
2020-1-3
Use props
Toaster4000
lvl.1
United States

doxidox Posted at 2019-12-21 05:27

Yep. I'd encourage people to upvote the issue in Adobe's forum - it's been seemingly ignored for a year since they acknowledged the issue, perhaps in part because only two people have indicated they're having the same issue with the "Me Too" button.
2020-1-3
Use props
Bons
lvl.3
Italy

Hi, everybody!

I contacted Adobe technical support who followed me to try to understand what the issue might be.
I've provided several original DNG files and after careful analysis they informed me that this is an issue with the DNG file created by Osmo Pocket.
I use several cameras (also not present in the list of cameras supported by Lightroom) and I never had a problem with the raw files created with them.

Later I wrote to DJI technical support. After a long analysis they confirmed by mail that this is an issue related to the DNG file created with Osmo Pocket. I got a feedback from DJI Engineers and they have located the issue successfully, so they will fix this issue in the next firmware version.

They sent me the email on January 4th. I am waiting for the next update hoping that the issue will be officially solved.

2020-2-15
Use props
Bons
lvl.3
Italy

Bons Posted at 2-15 10:48
Hi, everybody!

I contacted Adobe technical support who followed me to try to understand what the issue might be.

Today March 14, still no firmware update. I've been waiting for the firmware update for 3 months now!! That's crazy!!
It seems like I'm the only one who cares about taking vertical pictures with the Osmo Pocket!!

DJI please wake up!
2020-3-14
Use props
Bons
lvl.3
Italy

Good morning,

Today March 14, still no firmware update. I've been waiting for the firmware update for 3 months now!!  That's crazy!!

I spent €350 euro on a product that can't take vertical pictures in the right way!  That's crazy again!!

It seems like I'm the only one who cares about taking vertical pictures with the Osmo Pocket!!

DJI please wake up!
2020-3-14
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Bons Posted at 3-14 06:11
Good morning,

Today March 14, still no firmware update. I've been waiting for the firmware update for 3 months now!!  That's crazy!!

Hi Bons, sorry again for the inconvenience caused, actually, we have forwarded your request to the related team, we'll push the team again. If there is an update, we'll let you know. Thanks for your kind understanding.
2020-3-15
Use props
urix
lvl.1
Russia

still no solution for this problem
2020-10-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules