Expensive Flyaway... Man Fined $15k
693 9 2019-11-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dewey3
lvl.2
United States

This is one expensive flyaway.  A man was fined almost $15,000 for a "flyaway" (if that's really what it was) that toured the Las Vegas strip, then landed at the McCarran International Airport: YouTube Video of Story.  Adding insult to injury, the man has not paid the fine, so now it's $20,000.

The story itself is linked at the bottom of the video description.
2019-11-26
Use props
Maxi3D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sigh, why people keep doing this kind of stuff. And he is not paying his fine either, it will goes up to $30K pretty quick.
2019-11-26
Use props
Dewey3
lvl.2
United States

Maxi3D Posted at 11-26 05:14
Sigh, why people keep doing this kind of stuff. And he is not paying his fine either, it will goes up to $30K pretty quick.

Yea... thay found the owner through the drone's registration, which was "labeled incorrectly."  This guy needs to be slam dunked!!!
2019-11-26
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Yeah, I just posted the same
It is rather high (that fine) but the risk was too.
2019-11-26
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Dewey3. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing this information with us today. This is a sad story for all of us drone enthusiast.  We should always educate everyone specially ourselves to be responsible drone pilots. We should not put our self interest over the safety of people around us when operating or flying our drones. Let us all follow the rules and regulations at all time when operating or flying our drones. Thank you.
2019-11-26
Use props
SupCarlos
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1454193 ft
  • >>>
United States

This sucks.. gonna ruin it for the rest of us
2019-11-26
Use props
Maxi3D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ignore it and the FAA fine will go away. I bet that what the guy is thinking. You can buy nice car with $20K.
2019-11-26
Use props
Picanoc Jack
First Officer
Flight distance : 10326581 ft
Canada

He will eventually pay, and I have no pity for him, that's the kind of drone operator that gives us responsible pilots a bad name.
2019-12-1
Use props
Dewey3
lvl.2
United States

The man is now contesting his fine.  He is even going as far as to suggest that his "flyaway" may have actually been a Secret Service hijack since the President was there at the time.  S-U-R-E... Article.
2019-12-2
Use props
Neo Supreme
Second Officer
Flight distance : 76329 ft
United States

My thing, is that he could've been outside the 5 mile radius of the airport and still experience a 'fly away', that could have resulted in the same or similar outcome.  Not saying that this guy is faultless, though, drone malfunctions and unresponsiveness, happens quite a lot and this can easily be experienced by any other 'well meaning' drone pilot.  If the fly away in this story is what actually happened, then I really feel that DJI (and other drone manufacturers) along with the FAA needs to really look into why these things happen, as it is a potential hazard to have happen, much like drones just landing without the pilot having any type of control.
2019-12-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules