Controller charges my phone
2676 16 2019-11-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Aquilla
New
Flight distance : 16132 ft
South Africa

Controller charges my Note 10+ and it runs down its battery.
When I connected my controller to my phone for the first time I got the message from the phone that it is charging. Being very excited to fly the drone for the first time I thought nothing of it at the time. When I flew the drone for the second time I realised the controllers battery was almost run down - and this after being in the air for barely 20 minutes. Then the penny dropped! The controller was charging my phone.

How does one prevent this from happening? I'd rather my phone charge the controller. Any advice?

2019-11-29
Use props
Donsir_LTU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1043940 ft
Lithuania

I want to know how to dissable this feature too.
2019-11-29
Use props
johnnysnet
lvl.3
Flight distance : 26260 ft
Germany

With any stock Android firmware there's no chance as far as I know. Even with my modified system, 2 Apps for disabling USB charging failed. The xda developers forum gives correct information about how this is technically done by software though, if you have root access.
2019-11-29
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Aquilla. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing this information with regards to the DJI Mavic Mini's remote controller charging the Android devices. In relation to this matter the Android mobile device needs on-going 500ma to maintain the USB connection, so there is no option for the Android device to disable the charging mode, it is related to the android system and the communication protocol. This is regulated by the Android Open Accessory ( AOA ). Thank you for understanding and support.
2019-11-29
Use props
Christian U
lvl.4
Flight distance : 189659 ft
Germany

Absoulutly right https://source.android.com/devices/accessories/protocol
So if you dont wnt that the Remote charges your Phone, try it with an Full Phone Battery ;)
I for my part like this Feature, at time i have only one Battery (its out of stock) and i can Fly 4 Times with an nearly Clear Battery on my S7 before the Controller runs out of Power.
I think thats an good Rate. And after Flying down 4 Batterys i think the Day is over in most cases or i have to load the Controller with an Powerbank.
2019-11-29
Use props
Donsir_LTU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1043940 ft
Lithuania

DJI Stephen Posted at 11-29 08:31
Hello and good day Aquilla. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing this information with regards to the DJI Mavic Mini's remote controller charging the Android devices. In relation to this matter the Android mobile device needs on-going 500ma to maintain the USB connection, so there is no option for the Android device to disable the charging mode, it is related to the android system and the communication protocol. This is regulated by the Android Open Accessory ( AOA ). Thank you for understanding and support.

Good and short answer. Thanks
2019-11-29
Use props
Photobomber
lvl.1
Flight distance : 58301 ft
United Kingdom

If your out for the day keep the phone on a power bank in between flights to keep it charged up and turn of any services that aren't needed.
2019-11-29
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Donsir_LTU Posted at 11-29 09:53

You are very much welcome Donsir_LTU. I am glad to assist and if you have any other inquiries or concerns with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are all here to help and assist you. .
2019-11-29
Use props
sabram07hotmai
lvl.1

United States

My Pixel 3 XL cycles through the charge/not charge cycle while connected to the mavic mini remote and will not connect. I know that the Pixel 3 XL is on the compatible list but still get no RC connection. The drone works with other phones from my family, an Iphone and a Pixel1.
2020-3-14
Use props
djiuser_2JDwOuft8zV4
New

Netherlands

My J7 drowns to?
the other solutions didnt work help!
2020-3-14
Use props
zemetras
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14708 ft
Slovakia

You can fly with apple devices (no charge happening there from controller to iOS) , expensive if you dont have one already.
I am also using (company provided) iPhone 8 despite it is big pain for me as apple hater.
2020-3-14
Use props
sabram07hotmai
lvl.1

United States

i have just fired up an old Nexus 6P and that worked flawlessly. So I can fly my new drone but just sucks having that my fancy flag ship phone wont connect. At my house it is not a big deal but i am concerned about being somewhere strange or new and not getting the features I rely on.
2020-3-14
Use props
Alevpi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 43560 ft
Russia

johnnysnet Posted at 2019-11-29 07:57
With any stock Android firmware there's no chance as far as I know. Even with my modified system, 2 Apps for disabling USB charging failed. The xda developers forum gives correct information about how this is technically done by software though, if you have root access.

Everything depends not on Android, but on the brand of a particular phone!
2020-3-14
Use props
Alevpi
Second Officer
Russia

Donsir_LTU Posted at 2019-11-29 09:53

In the gap of +5V interface cable, solder a resistor of 56 Ohms.
2020-3-14
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Alevpi Posted at 3-14 18:54
In the gap of +5V interface cable, solder a resistor of 56 Ohms.

Unless your controller is very different from the ones issued in the US, that will not work. I have tried exactly that using various resistor values. The device will not recognize the controller when the value is above just a few Ohms, which would be of no advantage. Also even with a full charge on my Samsung phone, the current still drains just as much as it does when low on charge.

If you know that your procedure works for a specific Android phone, PLease let us know the brand and model.

2020-3-14
Use props
Luka_BiH_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 853110 ft
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Why is everyone worried about controller charging smartphone ? Did any of you do a test to check how much is the real damage ? My rc is also charging my smartphone and I still get to fly all 3 batteries and have 40% power in RC left. The draw is so negligible, it makes almost no impact on RC. There is no way this can discharge your RC... I think it's the message that scares people CHARGE ONLY
In the end RC will still have more power than you smartphone no matter what you to
2020-3-14
Use props
Alevpi
Second Officer
Russia

GaryDoug Posted at 3-14 19:11
Unless your controller is very different from the ones issued in the US, that will not work. I have tried exactly that using various resistor values. The device will not recognize the controller when the value is above just a few Ohms, which would be of no advantage. Also even with a full charge on my Samsung phone, the current still drains just as much as it does when low on charge.

If you know that your procedure works for a specific Android phone, PLease let us know the brand and model.

There are no problems on my devices...

2020-3-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules