2367 43 2019-11-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

Hello community!
I just found this video on YouTube, maybe it has been posted, maybe many know it or maybe not.
Since the Mavic Mini is such a small bird, its literally extremely easy to loose eye sight.
I had a pigeon too interested in my Mini the other day and I literally freaked out, cause I couldnt tell the orientation, I wanted to come back, VLOS to see what the bird was doing.
Came back safely but I wish I saw this video before
I hope is useful for some of you guys,
Happy flying!

2019-11-29
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day InspektorGadjet. Thank you for sharing this wonderful and informative video. Great find and thank you for your support. .
2019-11-29
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

DJI Stephen Posted at 11-29 13:48
Hello and good day InspektorGadjet. Thank you for sharing this wonderful and informative video. Great find and thank you for your support.  .

You are welcome.
2019-11-29
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

It is always my pleasure InspektorGadjet. Have a safe and a happy flying always. .
2019-11-29
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice find. This is the very first drone video I ever watched. Matter of fact
the wltoys quad is the first one I ever owned Quadcopter 101 is my go to
guy when considering certain kinds of quads to buy.
2019-11-29
Use props
Rob Dunlap
lvl.2

United States

Great video! Thanks for the helpful tips!
2019-11-29
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

DJI Stephen Posted at 11-29 15:43
It is always my pleasure InspektorGadjet. Have a safe and a happy flying always.  .

Thanks, I would like to kindly ask about my un-answered posts, not trying to make pressure.
I love my mini, but have questions without help from support.
2019-11-30
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

Woe Posted at 11-29 20:54
Nice find. This is the very first drone video I ever watched. Matter of fact
the wltoys quad is the first one I ever owned Quadcopter 101 is my go to
guy when considering certain kinds of quads to buy.

Good to know! I actually didn't know his channel so good find indeed!
2019-11-30
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

Rob Dunlap Posted at 11-29 21:13
Great video! Thanks for the helpful tips!

You are welcome Rob, definitely a great tip.
2019-11-30
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 3462946 ft
  • >>>
Spain

tHANKS FOR SHARE mATE !!
2019-11-30
Use props
JohnDG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Belgium

Nice !! Thanks for sharing.

Sometimes, I just push the "return home" button and stop it from returning home after it has positionned the drone towards myself.
2019-11-30
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

Nebuchadnezzar Posted at 11-30 02:56
tHANKS FOR SHARE mATE !!

You are welcome mate!
2019-11-30
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

JohnDG Posted at 11-30 03:10
Nice !! Thanks for sharing.

Sometimes, I just push the "return home" button and stop it from returning home after it has positionned the drone towards myself.

Me too!
For me this tip has many good applications, one birds, you have to get out of there fast.
Second, if you loose GPS for whatever reason, and you go in Atti mode, much better to know what direction you are going. Many other scenarios come to mind.
I also have tested RTH but somehow I dont like it, it's slow, and I rather having as a true safety net and try to allways fly back manually if possible.
2019-11-30
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

InspektorGadjet Posted at 11-30 02:28
Good to know! I actually didn't know his channel so good find indeed!

Thanks for sharing
2019-11-30
Use props
djicheaha
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2957598 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thank you for sharing. This is helpful advice and it "works"
2019-11-30
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

djicheaha Posted at 11-30 07:34
Thank you for sharing. This is helpful advice and it "works"

You are welcome!
2019-11-30
Use props
djiguy001
Second Officer

Canada

cool tip, thanks!
2019-11-30
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

Yep and best of all, it´s easy to remember.
2019-11-30
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Thanks for the warning!
2019-11-30
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

Montfrooij Posted at 11-30 11:49
Thanks for the warning!

You are welcome!
2019-11-30
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

InspektorGadjet Posted at 11-30 04:24
Me too!
For me this tip has many good applications, one birds, you have to get out of there fast.
Second, if you loose GPS for whatever reason, and you go in Atti mode, much better to know what direction you are going. Many other scenarios come to mind.

same here, i have only been partially successfully usually i end up going left and right and left and right and end up dancing around in the distance unable to come straight home.  at the point, i hit the rth button.  i have red/green/white strobe lights now that help tremendously even in daylight.
2019-11-30
Use props
JohnDG
Second Officer
Belgium

InspektorGadjet Posted at 11-30 04:24
Me too!
For me this tip has many good applications, one birds, you have to get out of there fast.

actually, I just use the RTH to have the drone position towards me. When done, I interrupt the RTH and fly back manually. It's faster indeed, like you say.
2019-12-1
Use props
TrippleDelta
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2228182 ft
Belgium

This is a test on the exam here in Belgium.  People always want to fly forwards to get the drone back while it is much easier to fly backwards.  Left remains left and right remains right.
2019-12-1
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

The Saint Posted at 11-30 18:16
same here, i have only been partially successfully usually i end up going left and right and left and right and end up dancing around in the distance unable to come straight home.  at the point, i hit the rth button.  i have red/green/white strobe lights now that help tremendously even in daylight.

Lights is something I'm also considering.
Which type of strobes do you use?
2019-12-1
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

JohnDG Posted at 12-1 01:22
actually, I just use the RTH to have the drone position towards me. When done, I interrupt the RTH and fly back manually. It's faster indeed, like you say.

Yeah but what if you cant use the Map or video feed? also you may hit it quick by mistake and perform a landing rather than RTH.
2019-12-1
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

TrippleDelta Posted at 12-1 01:38
This is a test on the exam here in Belgium.  People always want to fly forwards to get the drone back while it is much easier to fly backwards.  Left remains left and right remains right.

Agree flying backwards is much easier/safer, interesting to know this is a test in Belgium exam!
2019-12-1
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

InspektorGadjet Posted at 11-30 02:27
Thanks, I would like to kindly ask about my un-answered posts, not trying to make pressure.
I love my mini, but have questions without help from support.

You are very much welcome InspektorGadjet. Are you able to provide me the forum link for me to check and to assist you further. Thank you.
2019-12-1
Use props
Knapweed
lvl.3
Canada

Excellent video. As soon as I saw the scenery, I know it was Quadcopter101. I learned what little I know from this guy, I learned to use both sticks to bank the quad, how to fly squares, how to avoid VRS and TBE  and all the elementary stuff. It's a really helpful channel for anybody new to the hobby.
2019-12-1
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

DJI Stephen Posted at 12-1 11:04
You are very much welcome InspektorGadjet. Are you able to provide me the forum link for me to check and to assist you further. Thank you.

Hello and thanks for that, one is mine: https://forum.dji.com/thread-203144-1-1.html

The other post is not mine but I'm equally afected like many other users, some assistance from DJI support would be highly appreciated: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D712%26typeid%3D712
2019-12-1
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

Knapweed Posted at 12-1 11:25
Excellent video. As soon as I saw the scenery, I know it was Quadcopter101. I learned what little I know from this guy, I learned to use both sticks to bank the quad, how to fly squares, how to avoid VRS and TBE  and all the elementary stuff. It's a really helpful channel for anybody new to the hobby.

Thanks! I will deffinitely check more videos
2019-12-1
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

InspektorGadjet Posted at 12-1 02:05
Lights is something I'm also considering.
Which type of strobes do you use?

firehouse technology, the smallest ones they sell:  https://www.firehousetechnology. ... utel_Yuneec_.html#/
2019-12-1
Use props
JohnDG
Second Officer
Belgium

InspektorGadjet Posted at 12-1 02:07
Yeah but what if you cant use the Map or video feed? also you may hit it quick by mistake and perform a landing rather than RTH.

I use the drone mainly for photography. Therefor the maximum range is set to 500m. As for most drone laws it is still visible with the naked eye. If I should have pressed by accident, which hasn't happened yet, I can seee without video feed that the machine is decending. I still have the time to press "cancel".  
2019-12-1
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

The Saint Posted at 12-1 13:47
firehouse technology, the smallest ones they sell:  https://www.firehousetechnology.com/store/p33/%22Dual%22_Strobe_Lighting_Kit_%283_Dual_lights-_White%2FRed_Green%29__Light_Package._Works_on_all_Drones_including_DJI_Parrot_Autel_Yuneec_.html#/

Thanks for the lik! a bit pricey but I guess is worth it, I may look in to making them myself.
2019-12-2
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

InspektorGadjet Posted at 12-2 00:26
Thanks for the lik! a bit pricey but I guess is worth it, I may look in to making them myself.

i've been getting all of my strobes from here for 15% to 20% off.  sure these lights might be a bit pricey but i have the bigger ones on my m2z and for sure i can see that drone 2 solid miles away late in the day:  white when it's flying away and when i turn back towards me, red and green.

https://www.rakuten.com/shop/search/firehouse%20technology/?h=3
2019-12-2
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

The Saint Posted at 12-2 12:58
i've been getting all of my strobes from here for 15% to 20% off.  sure these lights might be a bit pricey but i have the bigger ones on my m2z and for sure i can see that drone 2 solid miles away late in the day:  white when it's flying away  and when i turn back towards me, red and green.

https://www.rakuten.com/shop/search/firehouse%20technology/?h=3

Upsy, not available "in my region" but yeah deffinitely looking forward to install something like this, having indications of the AC orientation is something I'm really interested in.
Sin I'm a lot in to DIY and there is not much too it (like the Vifly Beacon) building this could be quite straight forward and lightweight.
2019-12-2
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

InspektorGadjet Posted at 12-2 22:09
Upsy, not available "in my region" but yeah deffinitely looking forward to install something like this, having indications of the AC orientation is something I'm really interested in.
Sin I'm a lot in to DIY and there is not much too it (like the Vifly Beacon) building this could be quite straight forward and lightweight.

sorry just noticed your were in spain.

as for the strobes, i am getting loading warning notifications from the mini just from adding a few strobes; will have to play around with it.  this isn't cool.
2019-12-3
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

The Saint Posted at 12-3 08:05
sorry just noticed your were in spain.

as for the strobes, i am getting loading warning notifications from the mini just from adding a few strobes; will have to play around with it.  this isn't cool.

Really, how much do the three add in total? I thought it was like 4 grams.
The only real thing I think DJI could have kept was the LED in the legs/arms, an SMD LED really weights nothing and it there seems to be a notch in the legs where the LEDs go in other Mavics, optical sensors Ok since they may depend on another IC to control them but LEDs don´t really need anything than a resistor.
2019-12-3
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

JohnDG Posted at 12-1 22:21
I use the drone mainly for photography. Therefor the maximum range is set to 500m. As for most drone laws it is still visible with the naked eye. If I should have pressed by accident, which hasn't happened yet, I can seee without video feed that the machine is decending. I still have the time to press "cancel".

Me too plan to use the drone only for photography and video, and I dont plan or like to fly it far.
For most of my shots a distance of 100-200m is more than sufficient.
2019-12-3
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

InspektorGadjet Posted at 12-3 10:04
Really, how much do the three add in total? I thought it was like 4 grams.
The only real thing I think DJI could have kept was the LED in the legs/arms, an SMD LED really weights nothing and it there seems to be a notch in the legs where the LEDs go in other Mavics, optical sensors Ok since they may depend on another IC to control them but LEDs don´t really need anything than a resistor.

so i was testing and i can get away with adding one strobe light attached with the 3d mount.  flys far.

add a second strobe with a 3d mount and the payload warning blocks the distance.

need more time to check, next time i will attach strobes with double-sided tape instead of using the 3d mounts.  all i am asking for is 2 strobe lights, front and back.  and the beacon.

the strobe has a battery so it's a board and a tiny battery.  dji should have accounted for wide allowances but with such a low tolerance, i think there's room to "argue" the 249g limitation  i'm surprised they didn't just ground the drone if you attached anything to it.  again, it will fly 400ft high, it just won't go 400 ft distance which honestly is a disaster; toy drones will go further.
2019-12-3
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

The Saint Posted at 12-3 19:16
so i was testing and i can get away with adding one strobe light attached with the 3d mount.  flys far.

add a second strobe with a 3d mount and the payload warning blocks the distance.

I see a lot of testing needed.
Japanese batteries will be the only possibility for more loads.
2019-12-4
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules