Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Obstacle Avoidance saved my P4 out at sea
719 12 2019-11-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Uptowndisco
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7394987 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks DJI for making a great Drone and the adding Obtstacle avoidance for emergencies
and stupid Pilot errors like mine.  watch and be amazed !

2019-11-29
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. Thank you for sharing your experience and this video footage you have captured using your DJI Phantom 4. I am happy to know that your drone was safe during this mission thank you and safe flying.
2019-11-29
Use props
rwynant V1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

Were you flying straight at the platform,  or did you lose control?

Seems you should have been able to SEE where you were going.........lots missing in this story.

Randy
2019-11-29
Use props
Jimmy hoffa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1824291 ft
  • >>>
United States

He probably lost image transmission doing the orbit he was doing. So it looks like it was on its way back home and encountered the obstacle ..... See if i know there might be a chance i will loose signal even in the slightest i would have made my rth height higher then any obstacles in my flight path for that battery....next time op definitely make your rth height higher
2019-11-29
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Jimmy hoffa Posted at 11-29 16:10
He probably lost image transmission doing the orbit he was doing. So it looks like it was on its way back home and encountered the obstacle ..... See if i know there might be a chance i will loose signal even in the slightest i would have made my rth height higher then any obstacles in my flight path for that battery....next time op definitely make your rth height higher

I would suggest that during the orbit, the rig came between the aircraft and the pilot, thereby losing communication. The aircraft decided to return to home due to lack of control signal, and was stopped by the obstacle avoidance three times. In fairness, you would not expect to have to raise the RTH height when you are flying out to sea. An unusual circumstance, but one that worked out well when all the safety features came in to play.

At 00:14 you can see the aircraft has lost signal, as it turns slightly to face the home direction, which is directly behind the rig. The way home is straight through the rig, fortunately the obstacle avoidance took care of that.

2019-11-29
Use props
NC7U
lvl.2
Flight distance : 194587 ft
United States

That was too close for a save. Luckily did not go up into the cables.
2019-11-29
Use props
Manxmann
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1178793 ft
Australia

Thanks whoever for the Obstacle Avoidance.
I don't quite understand why/how it had 2 attempts to get over the rig.  I'd have thought once RTH was initiated it would have gone to preset altitude & not gone higher ??  Have I missed something ?
2019-11-30
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Good thing you got it back (dry and working)
2019-11-30
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Manxmann Posted at 11-30 01:28
Thanks whoever for the Obstacle Avoidance.
I don't quite understand why/how it had 2 attempts to get over the rig.  I'd have thought once RTH was initiated it would have gone to preset altitude & not gone higher ??  Have I missed something ?

The RTH altitude has no effect once it has climbed to that altitude, or it is already above that altitude. What happens in obstacle avoidance is that the aircraft stops, backs up a little, then climbs up a short distance and tries again. If it gets stopped again, it simply repeats the whole procedure again until it can fly over the top of the obstacle. This was as good an example of how it works as I have ever seen.
2019-11-30
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Very nice vid.  I've seen half a dozen of these but this is the first or maybe the second one where the AC didn't RTH-crash into the object which caused the signal block.  I've seen others where the AC flies behind trees, towers, castles, mountains, etc., and then RTH's right into said object because either the RTH height was inadequate or the signal came back during the rise and the AC sensed stick movement and so stopped rising and headed straight home hitting the object.  Of course, none of these had object avoidance.  That's a really nice hard brake it has.  And I love the way it backs away horizontally before rising.  That's a big deal!  Thanks for sharing!  
2019-11-30
Use props
Manxmann
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1178793 ft
Australia

Geebax Posted at 11-30 14:12
The RTH altitude has no effect once it has climbed to that altitude, or it is already above that altitude. What happens in obstacle avoidance is that the aircraft stops, backs up a little, then climbs up a short distance and tries again. If it gets stopped again, it simply repeats the whole procedure again until it can fly over the top of the obstacle. This was as good an example of how it works as I have ever seen.

ahh,  I see.  I thought that when RTH was initiated the drone went straight up to the preset altitude and wouldn't go higher ?
I am pleased to say I have no experience with the situation !  
2019-11-30
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That was quite amazing to watch and great to see  a safety feature working as well as it did
2019-11-30
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Lucky day.

Awesome tech.

RedHotPoker
2019-11-30
Use props
Advanced