Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
"Helix" Qucikshot gone bad
807 13 2019-11-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
infinigrove
lvl.4
Flight distance : 212051 ft
United States

Tried doing a "Helix" quickshot of the top of a rather large satalite dish.  I drew the box around the top part and the quickshot started good ... but it went off track to the left and lost altitude. The drone didn't crash but I did have to move the sticks to stop the quickshot and regain control.

Here is the video

2019-11-29
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

That was scary, but nice recovery.
2019-11-29
Use props
Cookster670
First Officer
Australia

i think you were too far away and the quickshot can’t (or won’t) do such a big circle.  

There was a video here somewhere that a guy tried to quickshot a whole building and had a similar result.    It would be interesting to see if you were much closer to the top of the satellite and tried it again (f you dare to....lol)
2019-11-29
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Captain
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

Yep too large of an object, unless they change the meters settings in FW mainly only useful for selfies and small objects.
2019-11-30
Use props
infinigrove
lvl.4
United States

Cookster670 Posted at 11-29 22:22
i think you were too far away and the quickshot can’t (or won’t) do such a big circle.  

There was a video here somewhere that a guy tried to quickshot a whole building and had a similar result.    It would be interesting to see if you were much closer to the top of the satellite and tried it again (f you dare to....lol)

I would agree that it was probably to far away and the drone "thought" the object was closer than it was. I did get really close to the top and have about 30+ minutes of video from the location. Just need to finish editing it and post it.

2019-11-30
Use props
Lamplighter55
Captain
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

I think the subject boundaries need to fit comfortably within the camera view - as its optically tracking around the object. So there needs to be no visual extention of the object outside the framing. On a side note - a radio telescope is not a 'satellite dish' as such - it's job is to receive very faint radio band signals from deep space. If the astronomers would have had an observation run on - they would not have been pleased with a drone flying around their dish ... they might indeed have got 'narlly' ! (Usually these spaces are known to be 'radio quiet' (The National Radio Quiet Zone (NRQZ)) like the one at Green Bank.)
2019-11-30
Use props
infinigrove
lvl.4
United States

Lamplighter55 Posted at 11-30 04:02
I think the subject boundaries need to fit comfortably within the camera view - as its optically tracking around the object. So there needs to be no visual extention of the object outside the framing. On a side note - a radio telescope is not a 'satellite dish' as such - it's job is to receive very faint radio band signals from deep space. If the astronomers would have had an observation run on - they would not have been pleased with a drone flying around their dish ... they might indeed have got 'narlly' ! (Usually these spaces are known to be 'radio quiet' (The National Radio Quiet Zone (NRQZ)) like the one at Green Bank.)

I'm pretty sure the radio telescope is no longer in use and has not been used for many years.
2019-11-30
Use props
Visual Air
Captain
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Pretty cool never the less.
2019-11-30
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day infinigrove. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused. The satellite dish might be big enough to create a quickshot ( Helix ) that is why you had encountered this issue. In addition I will be posting an official DJI video tutorial where in you can perform A "Helix" QuickShot on your DJI Mavic Mini. Thank you.

2019-11-30
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Scary....
I hate it when that happens
2019-11-30
Use props
infinigrove
lvl.4
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 11-30 11:53
Scary....
I hate it when that happens

Here is the 30 minutes of video edited down to 3 minutes of video worth watching.  I did notice the "jello" effect a couple times in the finished video.  I did not notice that while I was editting it and this is the first time that I've seen the "jello" happen with my mini.

2019-11-30
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

infinigrove Posted at 11-30 17:51
Here is the 30 minutes of video edited down to 3 minutes of video worth watching.  I did notice the "jello" effect a couple times in the finished video.  I did not notice that while I was editting it and this is the first time that I've seen the "jello" happen with my mini.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IotBb7PVPTs

Where is it in the video?
2019-12-1
Use props
infinigrove
lvl.4
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 12-1 07:31
Where is it in the video?

Where is the "Jello"?   It's of kind of strange because it doesn't happen all the time.  I think it has something to do with youtube encoding and/or the way I editted/processed the video.

It does seem to happen fairly consistently if I change the youtube video settings to play the video in "1440p60 HD" .... starting at about 1:45 there is a thin line of jello as the drone flys up the antenna.
2019-12-1
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

infinigrove Posted at 12-1 07:55
Where is the "Jello"?   It's of kind of strange because it doesn't happen all the time.  I think it has something to do with youtube encoding and/or the way I editted/processed the video.

It does seem to happen fairly consistently if I change the youtube video settings to play the video in "1440p60 HD" .... starting at about 1:45 there is a thin line of jello as the drone flys up the antenna.

Is it not in the original file?
2019-12-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules