Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
First pictures - 3 stacked images - HDR test
12Next >
2530 40 2019-11-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
InspektorGadjet
Captain
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

Hello community, yesterday I took my first pictures, decided to hoover and take one picture well exposed using histogram, then one picture underexposed and one over exposed.
I then "stacked" the images in Lighroom, touched a bit the shadows and highlights to reach the pure black and white to add some contrast, tiny bit of clarity and turn down a tiny bit saturation, no noise reduction or sharpness adjustments at all.

An automatic AEB would be great, but is totally doable by hand.
I love it!

I can only upload 2MB images here, and the files are around 10MB each so, I'm gonna post a network link instead so you can see the best resolution possible.

2019-11-30
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day InspektorGadjet. Thank you for sharing these beautiful photos you have captured using your DJI Mavic Mini. Great work and keep on flying. .
2019-11-30
Use props
Visual Air
Captain
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Look amazing. Specifically the second photo. Well done.
2019-11-30
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Captain
Spain

DJI Stephen Posted at 11-30 09:09
Hello and good day InspektorGadjet. Thank you for sharing these beautiful photos you have captured using your DJI Mavic Mini. Great work and keep on flying.  .

Thanks DJI Stephen.
2019-11-30
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Captain
Spain

Visual Air Posted at 11-30 09:16
Look amazing. Specifically the second photo. Well done.

Hey Visual Air thanks for the comment!
You are right, first one is a plain and non interesting shoot, but was early in the morning, sun coming from the right with long and dark shadows, so a good chance to test HDR.

The view of the town was less tricky light but it looks much nicer thanks to the more thought out composition, wanted to keep it as natural as possible too.
Thanks again!
2019-11-30
Use props
WSUPolar
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2241375 ft
United States

Your HDR shots turned out wonderfully.

I too have made one - I feel the wind and the time between shots (we really at least need auto bracketing) gave it some blur. Wish mine was as sharp as yours.
D43DBA8C-9EB0-4103-809F-A966817DDCF6.jpeg
2019-11-30
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Captain
Spain

WSUPolar Posted at 11-30 10:05
Your HDR shots turned out wonderfully.

I too have made one - I feel the wind and the time between shots (we really at least need auto bracketing) gave it some blur. Wish mine was as sharp as yours.

Thanks glad you like it, yeah it took me a few seconds to change values, thankfully was extremely calm day, no wind at all. Upon close inspection I also found some artifacts in the sky, once stacked, and Photoshop gave horrible results, only light-room worked ok. Didn´t want to use noise reduction since it bluries the image too much.
AEB Would be awesome!
2019-11-30
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Yeah, the lack of AEB is holding me back right now.
I use that all the time.
And time is of the essence, because you don't want the world to change too much between the shots.
So the fast captures of the AEB mode (Mavic Pro) is rather nice.
2019-11-30
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice images btw
2019-11-30
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Captain
Spain

Montfrooij Posted at 11-30 11:57
Yeah, the lack of AEB is holding me back right now.
I use that all the time.
And time is of the essence, because you don't want the world to change too much between the shots.

Absolutely!
I also want to do my next test with a partial panorama too, so that would increase time much more and like you correctly mention, moving objects will create issues when stitching.
2019-11-30
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

InspektorGadjet Posted at 11-30 12:01
Absolutely!
I also want to do my next test with a partial panorama too, so that would increase time much more and like you correctly mention, moving objects will create issues when stitching.

True.
I think I very seldom take 'normal' pictures with the MP.
They are almost always AEB images and usually panorama's too. (combined).
I do them by hand using the portrait mode and AEB-5
2019-11-30
Use props
Gu5s
lvl.4
Flight distance : 284728 ft
Czechia

Native SW HDR (or just an automated photo burst mode with various exposition shifts and manual post stitiching) would be a nice feature in future updates.
Anyway beautiful photos!
2019-11-30
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Captain
Spain

Montfrooij Posted at 11-30 12:05
True.
I think I very seldom take 'normal' pictures with the MP.
They are almost always AEB images and usually panorama's too. (combined).

Me too!
I like to do a lot of partial and 360 panoramas + AEB-5 with gopro and dslr.
An automatic bracketing is essential having no RAW... however I also have to say that I'm happy after seeing pictures and videos histogram in software, there is actually quite a bit of data to work with.
This HDR tests get you close enough to a RAW result.
2019-11-30
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Captain
Spain

Gu5s Posted at 11-30 12:09
Native SW HDR (or just an automated photo burst mode with various exposition shifts and manual post stitiching) would be a nice feature in future updates.
Anyway beautiful photos!

Thanks a lot!
Yeah it would be a nice feature to add, either by DJI or third party APPS, that is how I do it with my old trusty GoPro Hero 4 Black, which it doesn't support it natively either.
2019-11-30
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Captain
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Not that I'm questioning your approach to achieve such stunning images, but ...

With over 50 years of experience in landscape photography I can understand the necessity and advantages of combining several differently exposed shots of the same object. However, with the arrival of digital photography and with introduction of RAW format in particular decades ago, is this really a beneficial approach? Any decent, modern photo editing software can render wildly tweaked multiple versions from a single RAW shot, where the most drastic exposure value adjustments are among the easiest to execute...

I've made countless experiments trying to convince/convert myself back into bracketing photography. And I couldn't. Although RAW format is a must for any serious photographer these days, bracketed photos seem to be a relict of the past. IMO, naturally ...

EDIT: I'm not shy to call myself IDIOT! Mavic Mini doesn't offer DNG format photos ... Crap, that's what is happening before morning coffee !!! My apologies ...

2019-11-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 11-30 12:50

With over 50 years of experience in landscape photography I can understand the necessity and advantages of combining several differently exposed shots of the same object. However, with the arrival of digital photography and with introduction of RAW format in particular decades ago, is this really a beneficial approach? Any decent, modern photo editing software can render wildly tweaked multiple versions of a single RAW shot, where the most drastic exposure value adjustments are among the easiest to execute...

No Raw on mini no AEB No Aperture control , so all round not a bad effort.
2019-11-30
Use props
Gu5s
lvl.4
Czechia

With over 50 years of experience in landscape photography I can understand the necessity and advantages of combining several differently exposed shots of the same object. However, with the arrival of digital photography and with introduction of RAW format in particular decades ago, is this really a beneficial approach? Any decent, modern photo editing software can render wildly tweaked multiple versions of a single RAW shot, where the most drastic exposure value adjustments are among the easiest to execute...
With over 50 years of experience I am surprised you even ask... Well mini has no RAW format - it outputs JPG only... Without HDR in highly contrasting shots you may (and you will, as I also did with my mini) end up with spots that a pure white or pure black - when there are big chunks of the image, that carry no other information than "black/white" then you will not bring out any information in post - simply because the "information" is not there.
2019-11-30
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Captain
Spain

Yes you are right for most photography situations.

However bracketing is a must in certain scenarios, for example 360 VR immersive photography, chances are you will have parts of the image dark and the opposite side blown with sun or light source, Real Estate is one of the scenarios.

The other situation when it is a must is when making either materials and HDRI maps for 3D modeling software not to mix with HDR. HDRI is the way you can incorporate let say a CGI dragon in to a real world scene, and this images need extreme bracketing.
2019-11-30
Use props
Gu5s
lvl.4
Czechia

InspektorGadjet Posted at 11-30 13:04

However bracketing is a must in certain scenarios, for example 360 VR immersive photography, chances are you will have parts of the image dark and the opposite side blown with sun or light source, Real Estate is one of the scenarios.

Lol I should have remaimed silent with my layman's terms... I kind of know most the modern photography concepts, but I am no expert
2019-11-30
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Captain
Spain

Gu5s Posted at 11-30 13:08
Lol I should have remaimed silent with my layman's terms... I kind of know most the modern photography concepts, but I am no expert

Sorry. Not really sure I understand what you mean.
2019-11-30
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Captain
  • >>>
Canada

InspektorGadjet Posted at 11-30 13:04

Where do you live? I will travel to Spain only to receive a solid punch in the face from you ... For my defence, I was just expressing my thoughts about bracketing in general and not about your work in particular. Silly me, I didn't realized that with Mavic Mini RAW photography is "mission impossible"...
2019-11-30
Use props
Gu5s
lvl.4
Czechia

InspektorGadjet Posted at 11-30 13:15
Sorry. Not really sure I understand what you mean.
That it was kind of bad taste on my part to "educate" an elder person with experience, by me - millenial without much experience, only conceptual knowledge without usage of proper technical terms... (Just trying to excercie a self-reflection from time to time, to keep myself with both feet on the ground...)
2019-11-30
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Captain
  • >>>
Canada

Gu5s Posted at 11-30 13:31
That it was kind of bad taste on my part to "educate" an elder person with experience, by me - millenial without much experience, only conceptual knowledge without usage of proper technical terms... (Just trying to excercie a self-reflection from time to time, to keep myself with both feet on the ground...)

No hard feeling at all, Gu5s. Although I'm sticking to my guns on this subject, it was my bad to relate it to OP's images. After I realized my mistake and humiliated myself immediately after, there's no need to add anything to my misery. Beating an old fart may result in diapers change requirement ...
2019-11-30
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Captain
Spain

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 11-30 13:29
Where do you live? I will travel to Spain only to receive a solid punch in the face from you  ... For my defence, I was just expressing my thoughts about bracketing in general and not about your work in particular. Silly me, I didn't realized that with Mavic Mini it's "mission impossible" I'm talking about ...

I live in the ¨Sierra de Aracena y picos de Aroche¨ Natural park grew up here but I´ve been out 19 years, living everywhere in Spain from Huelva, Sevilla, Malaga, Granada, Barcelona and Ibiza, but also lived 3 years in the UK, now decided to come back since I work from home and love/need peace.

It´s an area free of restricted zones for hundreds of miles... rural but ... AWESOME!!

No hard feelings in the comment side at all, I´m also not the guy who would punch you in the face lolol
I like to debate and discuss topics in an open manner.
Peace out!
2019-11-30
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Captain
Spain

Gu5s Posted at 11-30 13:31
That it was kind of bad taste on my part to "educate" an elder person with experience, by me - millenial without much experience, only conceptual knowledge without usage of proper technical terms... (Just trying to excercie a self-reflection from time to time, to keep myself with both feet on the ground...)

Now I get it.
Internet is an awesome place to learn, being constructive and helpful is key, it´s easy to forget one is standing, virtually, in front of another person. Face to face we tend to behave differently.
Do you like HDR processing with your mini?
2019-11-30
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

InspektorGadjet Posted at 11-30 12:15
Me too!
I like to do a lot of partial and 360 panoramas + AEB-5 with gopro and dslr.
An automatic bracketing is essential having no RAW... however I also have to say that I'm happy after seeing pictures and videos histogram in software, there is actually quite a bit of data to work with.

Sure thing.
You can get around it.
I will wait and see what DJI will bring.
Plus how the new EU law will be implemented and how it will work with the mini.
2019-11-30
Use props
Gu5s
lvl.4
Czechia

InspektorGadjet Posted at 11-30 14:04
Now I get it.
Internet is an awesome place to learn, being constructive and helpful is key, it´s easy to forget one is standing, virtually, in front of another person. Face to face we tend to behave differently.
Do you like HDR processing with your mini?
Hah, I have been flying just for 2 days now (and already flew 15km lol), but I haven't considered stitching various exporuse shots into one image, altuough I have known for years, that this Is how SW HDR works - instead i just jumped out of the bed in the morning just before sun rose above the horizon and I sighed "oh how i wish it shot RAW or had SW HDR" - without a single thought of doing it myself, lol
2019-11-30
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Captain
Spain

Montfrooij Posted at 11-30 14:34
Sure thing.
You can get around it.
I will wait and see what DJI will bring.

Me too I guess FW wise it will be possible.
EU laws we will see. In Spain for anything than family at 20m you better get a full on pilot license, very strict regulations and miss information of officers.
2019-11-30
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

InspektorGadjet Posted at 11-30 14:47
Me too I guess FW wise it will be possible.
EU laws we will see. In Spain for anything than family at 20m you better get a full on pilot license, very strict regulations and miss information of officers.

That is exactly why I'm holding my breath until I know how it goes.
2019-11-30
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Captain
Spain

Gu5s Posted at 11-30 14:47
Hah, I have been flying just for 2 days now (and already flew 15km lol), but I haven't considered stitching various exporuse shots into one image, altuough I have known for years, that this Is how SW HDR works - instead i just jumped out of the bed in the morning just before sun rose above the horizon and I sighed "oh how i wish it shot RAW or had SW HDR" - without a single thought of doing it myself, lol

Cool, there is tons on info online and lightroom works great for this.
Is a cool technique and it gives you tons of room in post.
2019-11-30
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Captain
Spain

Montfrooij Posted at 11-30 14:50
That is exactly why I'm holding my breath until I know how it goes.

I guess is a safe option. I eventually plan to use it ¨commercially¨ so the license is mandatory.
2019-11-30
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Captain
Flight distance : 3428747 ft
Spain

Excellent Images My Friend  !!!
2019-12-1
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Captain
Spain

Nebuchadnezzar Posted at 12-1 01:44
Excellent Images My Friend  !!!

Glad you like them!
2019-12-1
Use props
JM.REYES
First Officer
Flight distance : 84423 ft
Spain

Haaaay mi Andalucía quería, que pueblos más bonitos tenemos en este país ¿Creo no equivocarme, no?.
Buenas y bonitas fotos. Gracias por compartirlas.
------------------
Haaaay my Andalusia wanted, what beautiful towns we have in this country. I don't think I'm wrong, right? Good and beautiful photos. Thanks for sharing.
2019-12-1
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Captain
Spain

JM.REYES Posted at 12-1 04:26
Haaaay mi Andalucía quería, que pueblos más bonitos tenemos en este país ¿Creo no equivocarme, no?.
Buenas y bonitas fotos. Gracias por compartirlas.
------------------

Yes, Andalucía indeed!, and in fact a very special area which many consider an emblematic part of Spain. This area ¨Sierra de Aracena¨is the home of the world wide famous Iberic pig, and Jabugo is at the core. Mountains, acorn, humidity and altitude makes the perfect combination to achieve such products and landscape.

Si, de hecho Andalucía! y además una zona que muchos consideran emblemática de España. Este área ¨Sierra de Aracena" is la casa del famoso cerdo ibérico y jabugo esta en su centro. Montañas, bellotas, humedad y altitud adecuadas para generar estos productos y paisajes.
2019-12-1
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

InspektorGadjet Posted at 11-30 14:53
I guess is a safe option. I eventually plan to use it ¨commercially¨ so the license is mandatory.

Safe is my middle name
2019-12-1
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

You are very much welcome InspektorGadjet. Please stay safe always and thank you for your valued support.
2019-12-1
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Captain
Spain

DJI Stephen Posted at 12-1 11:05
You are very much welcome InspektorGadjet. Please stay safe always and thank you for your valued support.

Always safety first
2019-12-1
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

That is great to know InspektorGadjet. I can not wait to see your next creations. .
2019-12-1
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Captain
Spain

DJI Stephen Posted at 12-1 16:16
That is great to know InspektorGadjet. I can not wait to see your next creations.  .

Answer please in the noise gimbal thread, some of us users need some assistance!
2019-12-3
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules