Info about wind direction in new sw Update ?
966 13 2019-11-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_en5Bj4jEL2sS
lvl.1
Flight distance : 87766 ft
Slovenia

Hi,

As mini is very light it is only logical that it is a bit more sensitive of wind. And one of the first rules of flying in the wind is to fly out AGAINST the wind

and return back with help of it. Now mini with help of GPS is so stable when up in the air, that most times it doesnt move even in stronger wind.

So sometime the pilot on the ground doesn t know exactly which way the wind is blowing up there.

But I am sure the dron itself has the information about the wind speed and direction and based on that info provides enough power to the motors.

So my idea for one of thenext updates of Fly App is to make it also display on the screen with an Arrow the direction and maybe also strenghth of the wind.
It would be helpful and more safe to plan flights.

2019-11-30
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing this information with. Your insights with regards to this matter is well received. Rest assured that these information will be forwarded to the designated DJI department for further attention. Thank you for your support.
2019-11-30
Use props
djiuser_RDpozUn4JhQY
lvl.2
Canada

Isn't it possible to create an algorithm to determine the wind speed and direction by the drone? Based on gps and how hard it needs to correct and in which direction.
2019-11-30
Use props
Sys_Admin
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1094311 ft
United Kingdom

djiuser_RDpozUn4JhQY Posted at 11-30 15:48
Isn't it possible to create an algorithm to determine the wind speed and direction by the drone? Based on gps and how hard it needs to correct and in which direction.

That would be really useful!
2019-12-3
Use props
Jollyroger Hobbies
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17392 ft
United States

I took my mini on it's maiden up into the air yesterday in mild wind. First battery did WONDERFUL! loved it. Second battery i flew half and gave controller to my friend. 5 minutes into his flight when mini was 150 in the air, wind kicked up hard and pushed mini away from us. I took control, turned into wind (I knew what direction it was coming from) and put full forward cyclic. Mini was still moving backwards so I threw it into sport mode and it just hovered in place fighting wind. the wind kicked it around left and right. Tried to descend to get out of high wind above only to come down near trees and antennae. Just kept full cyclic forward and fought not giving up. Low battery warning! did my best and finally got it down to a relatively safe area and snatched  it out of the air and flipped it over quickly to kill the motors, but not before one of the props made mince meat out of my middle finger. No damage to mini, props or anything. Damage to my finger and pride. Exhausted from panic and still bleeding everywhere. we packed up and went home. Lesson learned. NEVER get complacent! I plan on making a video from the drone capture vid and the flight log (if i can somehow make it a playable video format) to showcase what can happen. A lot of people have complained about flyaways, but my drone did the exact same thing as theirs did in the video. However I know for a FACT in was wind high up and little to no wind on the surface. Even after we got it down the breeze was light near us, but the clouds were racing. so yea, high level wind. Still I'm quite proud of this little 249g drone! Now I just have to make it into a video somehow......
2019-12-3
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

djiuser_RDpozUn4JhQY Posted at 11-30 15:48
Isn't it possible to create an algorithm to determine the wind speed and direction by the drone? Based on gps and how hard it needs to correct and in which direction.

That would be very very very useful indeed.
2019-12-4
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

This would be a useful feature for sure. I keep a small flag in my bag for keeping an eye on the wind direction. Sometimes it even is tricky using that even. Wind can blow from different directions in a split second, change directions too!!
2019-12-4
Use props
Bright Spark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22129 ft
United Kingdom

Jollyroger Hobbies Posted at 12-3 19:17
I took my mini on it's maiden up into the air yesterday in mild wind. First battery did WONDERFUL! loved it. Second battery i flew half and gave controller to my friend. 5 minutes into his flight when mini was 150 in the air, wind kicked up hard and pushed mini away from us. I took control, turned into wind (I knew what direction it was coming from) and put full forward cyclic. Mini was still moving backwards so I threw it into sport mode and it just hovered in place fighting wind. the wind kicked it around left and right. Tried to descend to get out of high wind above only to come down near trees and antennae. Just kept full cyclic forward and fought not giving up. Low battery warning! did my best and finally got it down to a relatively safe area and snatched  it out of the air and flipped it over quickly to kill the motors, but not before one of the props made mince meat out of my middle finger. No damage to mini, props or anything. Damage to my finger and pride. Exhausted from panic and still bleeding everywhere. we packed up and went home. Lesson learned. NEVER get complacent! I plan on making a video from the drone capture vid and the flight log (if i can somehow make it a playable video format) to showcase what can happen. A lot of people have complained about flyaways, but my drone did the exact same thing as theirs did in the video. However I know for a FACT in was wind high up and little to no wind on the surface. Even after we got it down the breeze was light near us, but the clouds were racing. so yea, high level wind. Still I'm quite proud of this little 249g drone! Now I just have to make it into a video somehow......

Suprised you got no warning with wind speed equal to or greater than top speed!
2019-12-4
Use props
MiniChris
lvl.2
Flight distance : 552326 ft
United Kingdom

The drone gives enough warnings about strong wind so it'd be quite useful if they showed a map showing where the wind was coming from. As has been said they clearly know where the wind is coming from as the ESC has to give more power to hold it's position. If it's constantly pulling itself to the left it's clear where the wind is coming from.
2019-12-4
Use props
Jollyroger Hobbies
lvl.4
United States

Bright Spark Posted at 12-4 07:35

I did get (or my friend did) a warning saying strong wind possible. I saw the warning after reviewing the footage and log. He told me he missed the warning. Easy to do if your eyes are elsewhere.
2019-12-4
Use props
NM Steve
lvl.1
United States

Living in the "Balloon Capital of the World" Albuquerque, I can tell you that ground winds can be exactly the opposite direction of the wind at altitude. When it happens its called "The Box" and balloons can take off, fly one direction, then gain altitude and come back the opposite way to land where they take off. So that should also be something to be aware of, not just ground wind direction and speed.
2019-12-4
Use props
Jollyroger Hobbies
lvl.4
United States

Bright Spark Posted at 12-4 07:35

I finished my video of that flight:

2019-12-5
Use props
Minnesota
lvl.4
United States

Here's another "stuck downwind" MM video.  PANIC. Ground winds were never over 12 MPH measured at the local airport, but at the time it must have been higher at flight level.  He since tested the battery and it proved OK.  It was a WIND event. FW .0200  
2019-12-6
Use props
djiuser_PLbzWyhgOY1j
lvl.3
Flight distance : 569852 ft
Thailand

Nice idea..would love to see this.
2019-12-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules