Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Aircraft Orientation Indicator in DJI Fly App
13616 28 2019-11-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
StubbornSwiss
First Officer
Flight distance : 480771 ft
United States

Greetings!

So far so good with the Mavic Mini. A number of good flights, learning all I can about its features, systems and idiosyncracies. Pretty much like a new type rating, for all you fellow aviators out there.

I do have one question though (yes..... another one)!!

I have thus far not gotten the aircraft orientation indicator in the Fly app to indicate properly. Its just never where I expect it to be, or pointing in the direction its supposed to be pointing in. I have calibrated the compass, calibrated my phones compass (as was suggested in some other post), firmware on the drone and RC are up to date, and yet its still a no go!

Any suggestions/help would really be appreciated. Also, any insight as to what the phones compass has to do with this feature.

Many thanks.

Aircraft Orientation.JPG
2019-11-30
Use props
djiuser_RDpozUn4JhQY
lvl.3
Canada

Sorry deleted

2019-11-30
Use props
oldhasbeen
Second Officer
Australia

that is exactly my problem too. see my post "real time orientation display". I have not found a solution and DJI is silent on this.
2019-11-30
Use props
StubbornSwiss
First Officer
Flight distance : 480771 ft
United States

oldhasbeen Posted at 11-30 19:53
that is exactly my problem too. see my post "real time orientation display". I have not found a solution and DJI is silent on this.

I just did some tests with a compass app and the RC.

I've started another thread with my findings.

Mavic Mini RC Affecting Compass on Samsung Phone
2019-11-30
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Captain
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

oldhasbeen Posted at 11-30 19:53
that is exactly my problem too. see my post "real time orientation display". I have not found a solution and DJI is silent on this.

I really don´t get the silence...
2019-12-1
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Captain
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

After doing some tests yesterday I managed to get correct reading of the compass.

Basically, with iOS Compass APP opened, the DI FLY APP did get the correct orientation, but as soon as I move the RC the arrow would go from Front to indicate the AC is behind me (which is wrong). Since the compass keep telling the AC is behind no matter what, I swapped my phone 180 degrees... and it works...

Now the USB connector of the phone is at the right, the orientation shows correctly as long I keep my body in the same position, that means let say I take off with my body facing north, I have to keep my body in that direction for the whole flight duration or the orientation is wrong.
Hope it helps!
2020-1-4
Use props
JJB*
Captain
Flight distance : 12132231 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

The drone arrow in the map view and drone arror in the aircarft orientation gets it info from the drone.

So in the map view this arrow is projected Oke as the map view is always N on top.

The aircraft orientation gets its compass info also from the mobile device.
The 180 degrees scale (90 left + 90 left from facing forward), so the outer scale is from the mob device.
Craft postion (craft compass info) is projected on the scale wich is set by the mob device..

If mob device is wrong, projection of drone arrow is wrong.

Brain wave now!!  reading other post! and my own experience (no problem with this aircraft orientation)
I have multiple devices but i always have to bottom of my device on the right side in the RC. (so i needed a longer cable from left side RC to the other side of the RC)

DJI uses that short cable left arm RC....if i do that than my ac orientation does not work!  Well  craft is always behind me, while looking at the craft in front of me

If you move your RC (and mob device) you will see craft arrow move left or right along the half circle.  Normal, usefull if you do not know where the craft is flying, just turn arond and watch the arrow in front on top of that half circle!

cheers
JJB

2020-1-4
Use props
djiuser_06eeirbkiWGn
lvl.1
Flight distance : 473150 ft
Germany

Hi everyone!
I found a soulution for this problem.
In my fault it's the Mavic Air 2, but the same app and problem.

I tried to get a solution from the DJI support for about 48 hours.
The first Advisor told me that he will contact a Senior Manager and the second said that I have to reinstall the Firmware.

In my fault the direction of me was wrong on the map too. So I thought that there will be a problem with some settings.
And this was correct.

You have to turn on the location services for the compass.

Do this on iPhone (in this case iOS 14.0.1):
Open settings > Data protection > Location services > System services > Turn on for compass calibration

Do this on Android: "No solution yet..."

Hope, that I could help you!
2020-10-6
Use props
Selian Seeni
lvl.4
Flight distance : 191184 ft
Malaysia

djiuser_06eeirbkiWGn Posted at 10-6 23:50
Hi everyone!
I found a soulution for this problem.
In my fault it's the Mavic Air 2, but the same app and problem.

Compass Calibration is Always ON. I noticed that that the indicator was missing after the last update yesterday. All the the it was ok.
2020-12-29
Use props
Donut
First Officer
Flight distance : 42415 ft
United States

Selian Seeni Posted at 12-29 09:20
Compass Calibration is Always ON. I noticed that that the indicator was missing after the last update yesterday. All the the it was ok.

I believe it’s on the map now. Look at bottom right corner.
2020-12-29
Use props
Dr.Schnabel
lvl.1
Flight distance : 263743 ft
Germany

I just Figured it out as well this afternoon doing my maiden voyage with the Mavic Air 2 that the Orientation Indicator is gone after the software update that I did this morning. Said to see that they already turn the 950 € Investment to a pile of TRASH after just a couple of months that the Mavic Air 2 is on the market. Fortunately I’ll be able to return it tomorrow, in case Amazon takes it back, which I hope very much.
2020-12-30
Use props
Ingo Sundowner
First Officer
Flight distance : 914012 ft
United Kingdom

Use Litchi and never had that problem again
2020-12-30
Use props
Dr.Schnabel
lvl.1
Germany

Ingo Sundowner Posted at 12-30 15:25
Use Litchi and never had that problem again

WAY too EXPENSIVE
2020-12-31
Use props
Selian Seeni
lvl.4
Malaysia

Dr.Schnabel Posted at 12-30 13:52
I just Figured it out as well this afternoon doing my maiden voyage with the Mavic Air 2 that the Orientation Indicator is gone after the software update that I did this morning. Said to see that they already turn the 950 € Investment to a pile of TRASH after just a couple of months that the Mavic Air 2 is on the market. Fortunately I’ll be able to return it tomorrow, in case Amazon takes it back, which I hope very much.

With advise from @donut the Flight orientation is with the Map now. There is a compass indicator on the low right corner tap on that the orientation is shown
2020-12-31
Use props
Selian Seeni
lvl.4
Malaysia

Donut Posted at 12-29 15:07
I believe it’s on the map now. Look at bottom right corner.

yes, TQ its a better view of the orientation too. I hope they publish the major changes too
2020-12-31
Use props
Selian Seeni
lvl.4
Malaysia

its merged with the Map. tap the lower right end where u see the compass sign, it will switch to orientation map
2020-12-31
Use props
Donut
First Officer
Flight distance : 42415 ft
United States

Dr.Schnabel Posted at 12-30 13:52
I just Figured it out as well this afternoon doing my maiden voyage with the Mavic Air 2 that the Orientation Indicator is gone after the software update that I did this morning. Said to see that they already turn the 950 € Investment to a pile of TRASH after just a couple of months that the Mavic Air 2 is on the market. Fortunately I’ll be able to return it tomorrow, in case Amazon takes it back, which I hope very much.

You still have it with the update. It’s the arrow bottom right of the small map in lower left corner.
2020-12-31
Use props
Bussty
Captain
Flight distance : 320951 ft
New Zealand

Depending on your phone you may or may not accurately show the correct direction your controller (therefore antennae) are facing as the Controller has magnets which interfere with some phone compasses. If you are lucky you could try turning your phone around (compass may then be on the other side and away from magnet in the controller) or you could try mounting your phone in a mount away from your controller. It just makes this feature a little hit and miss :-( End of the day though if flying VLOS you should just be able to point your controller at the drone because you can see it :-)
2021-1-1
Use props
Dr.Schnabel
lvl.1
Germany

Selian Seeni Posted at 2020-12-31 10:33
With advise from @donut the Flight orientation is with the Map now. There is a compass indicator on the low right corner tap on that the orientation is shown

There is a HUGE problem with this map (which I indeed noticed to have at least a clue): after you fumbled around for quite a while, you manage to get it to show you where on earth your drone could be. Once you figured that out, you just get it tabbed away to figure: Oh I ran it into a wall, because my view was covered by the map (it covers almost a quarter of your screen). Then you at least know the direction to run towards to pick up the pieces. Sorry guys.

It doesn’t work to talk me into believing a simple indicator being replaced with a Map+Settings+Submenu is a good idea or an improvement. They messed it up. Just a matter of admitting and fixing it. Just bring the person back who did the icon and fire the Map+Settings+Submenu-guy

Greetings and fly safe :-)
2021-1-1
Use props
Selian Seeni
lvl.4
Malaysia

Dr.Schnabel Posted at 1-1 19:52
There is a HUGE problem with this map (which I indeed noticed to have at least a clue): after you fumbled around for quite a while, you manage to get it to show you where on earth your drone could be. Once you figured that out, you just get it tabbed away to figure: Oh I ran it into a wall, because my view was covered by the map (it covers almost a quarter of your screen). Then you at least know the direction to run towards to pick up the pieces. Sorry guys.

It doesn’t work to talk me into believing a simple indicator being replaced with a Map+Settings+Submenu is a good idea or an improvement. They messed it up. Just a matter of admitting and fixing it. Just bring the person back who did the icon and fire the Map+Settings+Submenu-guy

well I prefer the old view (i think the new view is the replacement). Old view is easy to trace. I m thinking to ask the support on this too
2021-1-2
Use props
cLaNzKiLLeR
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1360007 ft
Malaysia

Hopefully this can help you guys find a fix for it.

As of now if you've updated the Fly App to v1.2.2, it is now gone and replaced with Attitude Indicator, but the troubleshooting and causes for the now 'blue circle' is the same.
Hope this animated + real time video can help to visualize and understand it better.
2021-1-6
Use props
Dr.Schnabel
lvl.1
Germany

cLaNzKiLLeR Posted at 1-6 00:28
Hopefully this can help you guys find a fix for it.
https://youtu.be/IIzUxyX3Hfk

Thank you. That is a good explaination. But very unfortunate news for me.

Is there a way to downgrade the DJI Fly App version from v1.2.2 back to v1.2.1 where it still was there?
(talking about iOS)

I suppose it’s really an Application error rather than a technical error.

Thank you

2021-1-13
Use props
JJB*
Captain
Flight distance : 12132231 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Dr.Schnabel Posted at 1-13 12:07
Thank you. That is a good explaination. But very unfortunate news for me.

Is there a way to downgrade the DJI Fly App version from v1.2.2 back to v1.2.1 where it still was there?

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/dji-technology-co-ltd/dji-fly/

remove 1.2.2, manually remove DJI folder.

Install 1.2.1 APK file

cheers
JJB
2021-1-13
Use props
jonny007
Captain
Germany

JJB* Posted at 1-13 12:23
https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/dji-technology-co-ltd/dji-fly/

remove 1.2.2, manually remove DJI folder.

I think apkmirror only works with android ? With iOS isn't that easy as with android but should work Youtube with search for "flyapp downgrade ios"
2021-1-13
Use props
phillipgleed
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I've had the same orientation problem with the min2 and tried all sorts of remedies.  It is the interference from the remote, as can be seen when you separate the remote from the phone.  I've fixed mine with a thick piece of foil from a coffee lid.  Just shaped it around the bottom of the phone to block the interference. Works for me.  BTW, I can't find version 1.2.2 on my app store, still operating on 1.2.1.
2021-1-18
Use props
Bussty
Captain
Flight distance : 320951 ft
New Zealand

phillipgleed@ya Posted at 1-18 04:49
I've had the same orientation problem with the min2 and tried all sorts of remedies.  It is the interference from the remote, as can be seen when you separate the remote from the phone.  I've fixed mine with a thick piece of foil from a coffee lid.  Just shaped it around the bottom of the phone to block the interference. Works for me.  BTW, I can't find version 1.2.2 on my app store, still operating on 1.2.1.

Have you got a photo?? Cheers I'm so over trying to sort this
2021-1-24
Use props
djiuser_ES5us0hIrSvm
lvl.1

United States

I can't believe they removed this indicator.  If you are listening DJI, bring it back!
2021-1-29
Use props
djiuser_ES5us0hIrSvm
lvl.1

United States

Does anyone know what was changed in the DJI Fly app from 1.2.1 to 1.2.4?  I truly miss the indicator in the center of the bottom.
2021-1-29
Use props
Cients
First Officer
Flight distance : 5537369 ft
Portugal

The same!
2021-1-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules