Who uses RTH?
1527 20 2019-12-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cookster670
Second Officer
Australia

Just curious who uses RTH here?   It seems like a lot of people do.

I've flown RC for years so never actively use RTH.   I like to control the drone as much as I can.   The only times it's been used is when i've lost signal and as soon as i regain signal I cancel and fly back manually

It seems a few people use RTH and i've just read another post about someone losing their drone during RTH.

Personally, I think it's good practice to always have control of your drone and leave RTH for emergencies only, but I do get that the technology "should just work like it's supposed to"....but as we've seen, it doesn't always.
2019-12-1
Use props
BobB
First Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

I use it now and then. Some of my friends want to see it happen and are amazed....  
2019-12-1
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

Same, I only see it as a safety feature when I can´t see it.
Or like BobB says for friends and family lol
2019-12-1
Use props
WSUPolar
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2241375 ft
United States

https://forum.dji.com/thread-203306-1-1.html

Yeah - not me
2019-12-1
Use props
Cookster670
Second Officer
Australia

InspektorGadjet Posted at 12-1 13:11
Same, I only see it as a safety feature when I can´t see it.
Or like BobB says for friends and family lol

Even when I can’t see it, I use the map to fly back to my homepoint. (or using the screen).   I normally fly back in sports mode too and ensure I have plenty of battery (more than that it took to get there).

It seems that the mini with it’s Lion batteries (or whatever capplng the coding has applied) means it can’t’ find the wind as much as the spark could.   

So i’m thinking that the flyaways i’m reading about is really about the wind taking it
2019-12-1
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

Cookster670 Posted at 12-1 13:26
Even when I can’t see it, I use the map to fly back to my homepoint. (or using the screen).   I normally fly back in sports mode too and ensure I have plenty of battery (more than that it took to get there).

It seems that the mini with it’s Lion batteries (or whatever capplng the coding has applied) means it can’t’ find the wind as much as the spark could.   

Agreed, the map is super useful.
And like you say flying far can be an issue to return safely due to wind.
2019-12-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I think your right to fly home manually, but everyone should know what happens in all different versions of RTH.
2019-12-1
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Cookster670. Thank you for reaching out and for these information. I hope that you will get the best information with regards to this matter from our valued DJI co pilots who uses the RTH function of the DJI drone. Thank you.
2019-12-1
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

i practice using rth every day i go flying; maybe twice.
2019-12-1
Use props
Cookster670
Second Officer
Australia

The Saint Posted at 12-1 14:06
i practice using rth every day i go flying; maybe twice.

I guess I’ve read too much about fly always...going all the way back to the spark, that I don’t want to rely on RTH.  It has never failed, me, but it only takes once.
2019-12-1
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Cookster670 Posted at 12-1 14:22
I guess I’ve read too much about fly always...going all the way back to the spark, that I don’t want to rely on RTH.  It has never failed, me, but it only takes once.

yeah i'm starting to get that way, too.  but until there is a little more evidence....
2019-12-1
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I never use it.
The green line on my map is a perfect guide back.
I never trusted the MP to do it on it's own.
2019-12-1
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I never use it (except to test how it works),  but when I was deciding which drone to buy it was something I was keen to have in case I got in trouble learning to fly, so great marketing tool but rarely needed if you can fly.
2019-12-2
Use props
Corkyboy14
lvl.4
Flight distance : 294114 ft
Saint Helena

I personally don't allways use it.  BUT i tend to use it in some cases for two reasons.  1. To show people what i can do and how impressive this kit is.  and 2. To ensure that it is working.  Incase of an emergency.
2019-12-2
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think everything has a time and a place. I haven't used RTH, but I'm not going to say there won't ever be a time where I'll need too either.
2019-12-2
Use props
Mountaindrone-Dronefocus
First Officer
Flight distance : 26618251 ft
  • >>>
France

I use RTH maybe 1 pourcent of my flights

and in this 1 pourcent, 1/10 times because I "loose" my drone (1/1000 flights) and 9/10 because I want to have my hands free for an other thing
2019-12-2
Use props
djicheaha
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2957598 ft
  • >>>
United States

I rarely use the RTH as I like to maintain manual control. However yesterday, I almost lost my MM due to high winds. I fought the wind using manual control with map to try and return, then RTH, back to manual, RTH, transmission lost (RTH). Watched on the map and intermittent camera, while the wind swept it away. I ended up using my "find my drone" feature and recovered it on private school property today. Good ending, no damage. I saw in my Airdata, that RTH gave it a valient effort, though.
2019-12-2
Use props
6arret
lvl.2
Canada

Used it once just to test it. Always fly home manually.
2019-12-2
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

i'm not "using" rth, i'm practicing with it so when i need it, it isn't new to me.  i guess it is as simple as pressing a button but i think there's a little bit more to it to understand it better.  i don't want to end up in a panic situation and rth is "new" to me.

so i guess when the bug was discovered where rth reset after every power cycle, just like to dji, this group thought it was no big deal, huh?  that's probably what dji thought as well, since nobody really uses rth and it's obvious they didn't test it.  imo, rth set at 15m without the flyer's knowledge is downright dangerous and is a disaster waiting to happen (even though i think it was just the display setting incorrectly).  to be honest, i guess if you're flying vlos at all times and no farther than 100 yards, sure it really doesn't matter much but unfortunately that's not me. ;)  btw, i "practice" disconnects weekly, usually not on purpose. ;)

imho (i'm not a new flyer but fairly new) rth is important and not to be taken for granted.  it's not about flying home, we all "fly home" under our own power and nobody really flys around all day and then use rth to end their day, that doesn't make sense.  like a car, you drive home when you are ready and you don't necessarily program the gps back to home.  but sometimes you punch it in when you want to respond quickly to changing conditions.
2019-12-2
Use props
AnzacJack
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3501650 ft
  • >>>
Australia

It’s like all systems. We all should be fully conversant and comfortable with the settings. I will RTH about once a week so I’m familiar with the characteristics and to test it. Coming from G.A. and military Aviation background, I’m used to regularly testing and running backup systems.
2019-12-2
Use props
Cookster670
Second Officer
Australia

The Saint Posted at 12-2 13:48
i'm not "using" rth, i'm practicing with it so when i need it, it isn't new to me.  i guess it is as simple as pressing a button but i think there's a little bit more to it to understand it better.  i don't want to end up in a panic situation and rth is "new" to me.

so i guess when the bug was discovered where rth reset after every power cycle, just like to dji, this group thought it was no big deal, huh?  that's probably what dji thought as well, since nobody really uses rth and it's obvious they didn't test it.  imo, rth set at 15m without the flyer's knowledge is downright dangerous and is a disaster waiting to happen (even though i think it was just the display setting incorrectly).  to be honest, i guess if you're flying vlos at all times and no farther than 100 yards, sure it really doesn't matter much but unfortunately that's not me. ;)  btw, i "practice" disconnects weekly, usually not on purpose. ;)

Actually it seems like quite a few people do use RTH to come home.  I fly with a guy who does that, so was curious to know if that’s common.   I don’t think I’ve ever actually requested RTH...i think it’s just happened when I’ve been disconnected.
2019-12-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules