Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Does phone wifi interfere with DJI Wifi ? Help me settle an argu...
1254 7 2019-12-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cookster670
lvl.4
Australia

HI Guys

Having a philosophical disagreement with someone re whether or not your phones wifi interferes with the Mini/Spark/Air and therefore what is the benefit of Airplane Mode

Given that the Mini uses 2.4/5.8 and so does your phone, i would think that there would be an impact, but I've been told there is no impact.

I have also personally experienced at least once where I had poor range and checked and found i had forgotten to put Airplane Mode on.

Does anyone have definitive proof either way?  (Not just an opinion like me :-) )
2019-12-1
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Phones using WiFi can interfere with a Drone using WiFi and vice-versa.  Any WiFi device can interfere with another if devices are locked to use same channel, or there are to many WiFi devices in small area, taking up all available channels.
In pilot's case, having phone in Airplane mode disables the phone's WiFi.  Same with pilot having a CrystalSky, setting it to Airplane mode disables WiFi.   Which may free up a channel which drone is using (or locked to use).
2019-12-1
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

WiFi channe list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li ... s#5_GHz_or_5.8_GHz_(802.11a/h/j/n/ac/ax)
2019-12-1
Use props
Cookster670
lvl.4
Australia

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 12-1 14:44
WiFi channe list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels#5_GHz_or_5.8_GHz_(802.11a/h/j/n/ac/ax)

So are you essentially saying that both phone wifi and dji wifi use the same frequencies AND channels so can therefore interfere with each other?
2019-12-1
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thank you for bringing this query to us. The reason why we highly recommend putting the mobile device on an airplane mode is that the wifi signals might cause interference to the signal of AC to the remote controller. Also, you may refer to the post comment of our valued member HedgeTrimmer on post #2 that WIFI devices might take up all available channels in a small area. I will highly recommend flying the drone in an open space away from all possible interference for us to avoid any possible issues. Please don't hesitate to reach us if you have other concerns. Thank you for your continued support!
2019-12-1
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Cookster670 Posted at 12-1 14:50
So are you essentially saying that both phone wifi and dji wifi use the same frequencies AND channels so can therefore interfere with each other?
Hope this helps.  

WiFi is WiFi.  There isn't separate channels designated for Phones, for Laptops, for Tablets, for Drones, etc.

Realize there are two ways WiFi devices run.  Manual set to a specific channel.  Or in Auto whereby device's system chooses which WiFi channel to use based on least amount of interference and availability.

Another issue comes into play, what modes of WiFi the device's hardware supports for communication.

As such, one can't say a smartphone is going to use same frequency the drone does for WiFi.  If both smartphone and drone are in Auto, the two will choose different WiFi channels  Whereas if both are set to Manual and both are set to same WiFi channel, the smartphone and drone are going to interfere with each other.  

Realize it might be somebody else WiFi device that is set to Manual and using same WiFi channel your drone is Manual set to, which can cause interference.  
2019-12-1
Use props
Cookster670
lvl.4
Australia

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 12-1 17:28
Hope this helps.  

WiFi is WiFi.  There isn't separate channels designated for Phones, for Laptops, for Tablets, for Drones, etc.

Got it.  Thanks, yes that makes sense.   I’m trying to understand why this other person would say they don’t interfere with each other.   They provided no evidence, just a generic statement and i didn’t know enough either way to agree or call BS.  Logically I would have thought they could potentially interfere with each other.

Thanks again, this has been helpful
2019-12-1
Use props
Isilosc
lvl.2
Flight distance : 338186 ft
Dominican Republic

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 12-1 14:44
WiFi channe list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels#5_GHz_or_5.8_GHz_(802.11a/h/j/n/ac/ax)

Thank you very useful
2019-12-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules