Is this normal?
3494 36 2019-12-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mgozer
Second Officer
Switzerland

I noticed that my Mavic Mini has some kind of slight barrel effect

please note the brick lines and the metal fence behaviour as the drone moves.

This has been shot with the latest firmware.
This behaviour was present also in the first firmware and it takes place with all the video resolution and frame rate.
It is not due to the drone yaw, because I was moving it manually.

My Mavic Pro does not produce such a deformation.
Is this normal?
Thanks
2019-12-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Not to sure, yes I can see it, I hope when the introduce 24fps this might not be so noticeable.
2019-12-2
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

This is known behaviour.
The lens correction is not doing the best job.
DJI has some work to do.
2019-12-2
Use props
Mgozer
Second Officer
Switzerland

Montfrooij Posted at 12-2 07:05
This is known behaviour.
The lens correction is not doing the best job.
DJI has some work to do.

I hope they will address this issue with the next firmware cause, once you know, you cannot avoid to notice it
2019-12-2
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

hallmark007 Posted at 12-2 06:49
Not to sure, yes I can see it, I hope when the introduce 24fps this might not be so noticeable.

This is a matter of lens correction that DJI has not optimized (yet) and is a result of a small lens with optical errors.
Almost every smaller camera has this, because it is very hard (expensive) to manufacture optical perfection at this size.
Even my Nikon prime lenses have this (not so much luckily)

You can see how the lens performs when you shoot in RAW mode (but the MM does not have that) and it's a good thing they can correct that for the most part as the output of (for example) the MP is not too good without it.
The other day I got some DNG's from M2P and they were equally as bad.
My Olympus tough Tg5 is also very ugly in raw mode.
Thank God for lens corrections
But it is hard to create a good profile, so that is lacking here.

Framerate has little to do with that.

The early MA and MP also used to have it (still have in some respect)
Mostly visible when you shoot something with straight lines and very visible when panning (because the perspective change is showing the distortion in different parts of the subject as you pan).
It is almost looking like somebody is pushing the footage (or pulling, depending on the direction of the distortion)
2019-12-2
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Mgozer Posted at 12-2 07:10
I hope they will address this issue with the next firmware cause, once you know, you cannot avoid to notice it

You can avoid straight lines to minimize the effect for now.
2019-12-2
Use props
djiuser_1nWAB8yLlaUX
lvl.1
United Kingdom

This is perfectly normal. What you're seeing is due to a wide angle lens being used. As said above, lens correction fixes this, but at the expense of slightly zooming in to the image to straighten the edges.
2019-12-2
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

djiuser_1nWAB8yLlaUX Posted at 12-2 07:13
This is perfectly normal. What you're seeing is due to a wide angle lens being used. As said above, lens correction fixes this, but at the expense of slightly zooming in to the image to straighten the edges.

In the past 'fresh' drones from DJI also had this.
They have introduced better lens profiles to correct for this.
It is a matter of zooming in the footage and making some corrections in the jpeg / mp4 engine that coverts the raw data to compressed files.

In the past it took some time for DJI to implement this, so I hope this will also be the case with the MM
2019-12-2
Use props
Mgozer
Second Officer
Switzerland

Thanks to all of you for the explanation.
I was worried and ready to return the drone, since I didn't notice this issue in most of the footage I've seen from other Mavic  Mini users.
So everyone has this till now?

I'll carefully avoid straight lines
Lucky for me that I don't use this drone for work.
2019-12-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Montfrooij Posted at 12-2 07:12
This is a matter of lens correction that DJI has not optimized (yet) and is a result of a small lens with optical errors.
Almost every smaller camera has this, because it is very hard (expensive) to manufacture optical perfection at this size.
Even my Nikon prime lenses have this (not so much luckily)

Food for thought, I’ve just done quick video test on MM, I’ll post later it’s not of any wall or straight lines we’ll see how it fairs out .
2019-12-2
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

hallmark007 Posted at 12-2 07:28
Food for thought, I’ve just done quick video test on MM, I’ll post later it’s not of any wall or straight lines we’ll see how it fairs out .

Yeah. It might vary from device to device.
I'm not sure how strict quality control on the lenses is at the factory.
You will get the best (or most prominent) effect if you film a (modern) brick wall.
That is how I test my lenses.
Or something else with just straight lines that run parallel to your lens while you pan the drone around slowly.
2019-12-2
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Mgozer Posted at 12-2 07:21
Thanks to all of you for the explanation.
I was worried and ready to return the drone, since I didn't notice this issue in most of the footage I've seen from other Mavic  Mini users.
So everyone has this till now?

I'm not sure if everybody has it.
It might be your lens is worse than others.
I can't test it for you as I don't own a MM.
2019-12-2
Use props
Mgozer
Second Officer
Italy

I really wish DJI to have a word on this.
2019-12-2
Use props
StefanMalloch
lvl.2
Canada

We need 24fps.. lets go DJI!
2019-12-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Mgozer Posted at 12-2 10:38
I really wish DJI to have a word on this.

I think if you sync your flight contact moderator and ask her/him to get an engineer to look at it.

You may get the answer your looking for, also members on the forum will learn more, in the past and indeed the present this is the best way to gain answers and information, it takes a small bit of your time though .
2019-12-2
Use props
Mgozer
Second Officer
Switzerland

hallmark007 Posted at 12-2 12:11
I think if you sync your flight contact moderator and ask her/him to get an engineer to look at it.

Do you mean sync my flight using Dji Fly?
2019-12-3
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi there, we apologize for the trouble, more information is needed for further analysis.
Could you please insert the Micro SD card to the aircraft, then pan the drone to take a short video? Then please keep the same SD card (do not format or change to another one) in the drone and then connect to DJI Assistant 2, export and save the logs to local, then upload to Google Drive or Dropbox and post the link here.

We much appreciate your assistance.
2019-12-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Mgozer Posted at 12-3 01:50
Do you mean sync my flight using Dji Fly?

Well they got there before me
2019-12-3
Use props
Mgozer
Second Officer
Switzerland

DJI Mindy Posted at 12-3 02:38
Hi there, we apologize for the trouble, more information is needed for further analysis.
Could you please insert the Micro SD card to the aircraft, then pan the drone to take a short video? Then please keep the same SD card (do not format or change to another one) in the drone and then connect to DJI Assistant 2, export and save the logs to local, then upload to Google Drive or Dropbox and post the link here.
Hi,
I have not formatted the SD card till now, so the only videos I recorded are those relative to the log I suppose.
Is the logs in the Misc (hidden) folder of the SD any good?
If so, I can upload them now.
By the way, the logs I see in the Misc folder are huge!
fc_log.log is more than 500 Mb
2019-12-3
Use props
B-man=)
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5433 ft
United States

I noticed the same barrel effect, its annoying if you noticed it. Hopefully this can be fixed with a firmware update.
2019-12-3
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

StefanMalloch Posted at 12-2 11:41
We need 24fps.. lets go DJI!

I agree with adding 24fps, but I don't think that will change this barrel distortion issue.
2019-12-3
Use props
B-man=)
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5433 ft
United States

KlooGee Posted at 12-3 09:19
I agree with adding 24fps, but I don't think that will change this barrel distortion issue.

Kloogee, did you happen to notice this distortion issue on your MM?
2019-12-3
Use props
Mgozer
Second Officer
Switzerland

DJI Mindy Posted at 12-3 02:38
Could you please insert the Micro SD card to the aircraft, then pan the drone to take a short video? Then please keep the same SD card (do not format or change to another one) in the drone and then connect to DJI Assistant 2, export and save the logs to local, then upload to Google Drive or Dropbox and post the link here.

Here is the log I got from DJI Assistant 2 for Mavic.
Mavic Mini log
The log is relevant to the video at the beginning of this topic also.

I hope it will help.
2019-12-4
Use props
Mgozer
Second Officer
Switzerland

I'd like the moderators if the log has been submitted to the team.
Thanks
2019-12-4
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Mgozer Posted at 12-4 05:23
I'd like the moderators if the log has been submitted to the team.
Thanks

Yes, I have forwarded the logs to them and it is recommended to send your aircraft to our repair center for further testing, please contact our support team www.dji.com/support to start a ticket and send in as soon as possible.
2019-12-5
Use props
Mgozer
Second Officer
Switzerland

DJI Mindy Posted at 12-5 03:16
Yes, I have forwarded the logs to them and it is recommended to send your aircraft to our repair center for further testing, please contact our support team www.dji.com/support to start a ticket and send in as soon as possible.

Thanks Mindy.
since the repair center is very close to my office, can I bring the drone personally to them?

Thanks again.
2019-12-5
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Mgozer Posted at 12-5 05:25
Thanks Mindy.
since the repair center is very close to my office, can I bring the drone personally to them?

Sorry for the late response, we do not have the official repair center in Switzerland, which repair center are you referring to? If the drone was purchased from the reseller, you can also contact them for assistance.
2019-12-9
Use props
Mgozer
Second Officer
Switzerland

DJI Mindy Posted at 12-9 00:14
Sorry for the late response, we do not have the official repair center in Switzerland, which repair center are you referring to? If the drone was purchased from the reseller, you can also contact them for assistance.

No need to apologize
I write from Rome indeed, but my provider is in Switzerland and it appears as I'm located there.
I'm referring to is
Elite Consulting s.r.l.
via Ercolano Salvi, 18
00143 Roma (RM)
Italia

I bought the Mavic Mini not from DJI but at a shopping mall.
I hope it won't be a problem.
p.s.
I've updated to the last firmware, but the issue is still there.
2019-12-9
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Mgozer Posted at 12-9 05:43
No need to apologize
I write from Rome indeed, but my provider is in Switzerland and it appears as I'm located there.
I'm referring to is

It is a recommended repair center which was trained by DJI and have the capability to repair DJI products. The warranty responsibility will transfer to the Recommended Service Center for any products they repair, and those products will no longer be warranted by DJI.
You may verify with them whether they can help, if not, please contact our support team and send in the drone to the official repair center for the after-sales service.
2019-12-10
Use props
Mgozer
Second Officer
Switzerland

undestood.
Thanks a lot.

I never had to rely on DJI warranty and it can be not so straight forward the first time
2019-12-10
Use props
Mgozer
Second Officer
Switzerland

DJI Mindy, could you please let me know regarding my case progress?
the case number is
CAS-2812685-S6N4P9

The tracking states that the drone has been delivered to DJI on 17, but the case detail states that it is still at "to be received" stage.
Is there something wrong?

Thanks a lot.
2019-12-19
Use props
Mgozer
Second Officer
Italy

I just received a new Mavic Mini, as I see the serial number is different.
Now I have a question: how do I switch my dji care from the old drone to the new one?

Thanks a lot.
2019-12-30
Use props
djiuser_nlAidsUNfFng
lvl.1

United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2019-12-10 06:01
It is a recommended repair center which was trained by DJI and have the capability to repair DJI products. The warranty responsibility will transfer to the Recommended Service Center for any products they repair, and those products will no longer be warranted by DJI.
You may verify with them whether they can help, if not, please contact our support team and send in the drone to the official repair center for the after-sales service.

Hey Mindy,

When can we expect a fix for this? My mini is updated but I'm still having significant distortion. Any info would be appreciated.

Thank you
2020-4-9
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

djiuser_nlAidsUNfFng Posted at 4-9 08:56
Hey Mindy,

When can we expect a fix for this? My mini is updated but I'm still having significant distortion. Any info would be appreciated.

Hi there, sorry for the late response, may we verify the firmware of your Mavic Mini first?
It is recommended to check whether the gimbal was stuck by something and try Gimbal Calibration, check whether propellers are matched, make sure you were not testing in windy days.
If the issue persists, please share us a short video for further verification. Thank you.
2020-4-13
Use props
Cal Evans
lvl.4
Flight distance : 85673 ft
United States

Honestly, I don't see anything.

Cheers!
=C=
2020-4-13
Use props
relaxosmo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 180604 ft
Hungary

Which video mode do you use Mgozer?
I can see exactly this wrong distorsion correction on my Mini2, but ONLY in 2.7k/50/60p mode.
Every other video modes are correct, but which one i like to use?
2.7k/60p of course
DJI sould fix this! FOV is different in this mode, but it seems they use the same correction algorithm
to all video modes, which is wrong solution!
which is
2021-5-19
Use props
Mgozer
Second Officer
Switzerland

Hi relaxosmo,
the issue has been fixed on Mavic Mini with the lastest firmware.
Now the distortion is really minimal and almost impossible to notice. Good work from DJI

I'm sorry that the same issue can be found in the Mini 2.
My guess is that, since 2,7k 50 and 60 fps are new modes, compared to the Mavic Mini, they just forgot to include the proper correction algorithm.
It is just a matter of firmware.
2021-5-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules