DJI Fly Phone Compatibility?
6031 24 2019-12-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SkyFIy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2744541 ft
United States

Hello everyone. I'm looking into the DJI Mavic Mini as my first drone. It seems like a really good starter considering its size, weight, and the various features it carries. I am however concerned with the state of the DJI Fly App. From both the forums and online reviews, many people have complained that their phone is not compatible with the app. Currently, the consensus is that you need a 64bit phone for it to work. I have a Moto Z Force, which I confirm does run on 64bit and is at Android 8.0.0. I was also able to download the DJI Fly app. Is there still a chance that my phone will work? The issue is that I've looked up a compatibility list and there are NO Motorola devices that are confirmed to function with the app (in fact, they don't seem to be confirmed for DJI GO either). I'm really not sure about getting the drone because of this. I'm willing to buy the drone, but I'm not willing to buy a new phone along with it.

Also here's the compatibility list I was referring to: https://www.phantomhelp.com/tips/best-tabletsphones-for-dji-go-updated-daily.18
Phone specs: https://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_z_force-8093.php

Do you guys think the DJI Fly App will be updated to fix the issues with all these phones? I do hope so. I want this for Christmas.
2019-12-2
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. Welcome to DJI Forum and thank you for choosing DJI. As of the moment, the Moto Z Force is not yet tested to work properly with the DJI Mavic Mini and DJI Fly application. But rest assured that our DJI R&D team are continuously testing multiple devices to be added on the recommended mobile device list for the DJI Mavic Mini in the near future. In addition, I will be posting an image for the DJI official compatible mobile devices for the DJI Mavic Mini. Thank you for your support and understanding.

2019-12-3
Use props
Paul Atkin
lvl.2
Flight distance : 36962 ft
United States

You will not be able to use it with any Android phone as DJI remote battery gets drained extremely fast when you connect any android device to it.  Get any iphone or an ipad mini if you want to be able to use a fully charged remote with more than 1 drone battery at a time - with an android device remote drains completely in 35-45 min.
2019-12-3
Use props
SkyFIy
lvl.2
United States

Paul Atkin Posted at 12-3 08:58
You will not be able to use it with any Android phone as DJI remote battery gets drained extremely fast when you connect any android device to it.  Get any iphone or an ipad mini if you want to be able to use a fully charged remote with more than 1 drone battery at a time - with an android device remote drains completely in 35-45 min.

Noted. I guess I might have to look into Apple devices then. Hope that someone in my family has a spare apple phone they can lend.
2019-12-3
Use props
Paul Atkin
lvl.2
Flight distance : 36962 ft
United States

SkyFIy Posted at 12-3 10:05
Noted. I guess I might have to look into Apple devices then. Hope that someone in my family has a spare apple phone they can lend.

you can get a used iphone se for $50-$60 from ebay, shipped. it will do.
i use it now with my pixel 2 - and so far i could not resolve remote`s battery drain issue. phone is from work, so i cannot root it. but i do not think root would fix it, as code from remote sends some unidentified code every time it connects, so it switches usb mode into a default mode that does force charging turned on.
2019-12-3
Use props
djiuser_8xy9lbfaN3yE
New

United States

Just bought last night my 1st drone...mavic mini. So excited to fly it... but my phone LG Stylo 4 can't download the needed apps! Help please. Aside buying a new phone, what other option I have?
2019-12-3
Use props
SkyFIy
lvl.2
United States

djiuser_8xy9lbfaN3yE Posted at 12-3 11:12
Just bought last night my 1st drone...mavic mini. So excited to fly it... but my phone LG Stylo 4 can't download the needed apps! Help please. Aside buying a new phone, what other option I have?

From what I see you could maybe wait it out? DJI Fly is a rather new app so it's still being fixed up by the developers. Perhaps in the future your phone will be compatible. Other than that I don't really know much that can be done other than getting a new phone.
2019-12-3
Use props
djiuser_qFIZfpYASMlv
lvl.1

United States

I will be returning my Mavic Mini based on this compatibility fiasco.  I would not recommend it until DJI comes up with some kind of plan to start making rational marketing decisions.
2019-12-8
Use props
djiuser_n9v8ntGvkmMd
lvl.1
Flight distance : 413750 ft
United States

Paul Atkin Posted at 12-3 10:11
you can get a used iphone se for $50-$60 from ebay, shipped. it will do.
i use it now with my pixel 2 - and so far i could not resolve remote`s battery drain issue. phone is from work, so i cannot root it. but i do not think root would fix it, as code from remote sends some unidentified code every time it connects, so it switches usb mode into a default mode that does force charging turned on.

Have you used the iphone se for this drone? Because it's not on dji's list of ios compatible devices.
2019-12-9
Use props
Minnesota
lvl.4
United States

There is no reason the DJI Fly app needs a fast processor or a lot of memory.  Watch for a flood of returns to retailers when people realize the App can't be downloaded or doesn't work on their device.  
2019-12-10
Use props
djiuser_qFIZfpYASMlv
lvl.1

United States

Minnesota Posted at 12-10 01:25
There is no reason the DJI Fly app needs a fast processor or a lot of memory.  Watch for a flood of returns to retailers when people realize the App can't be downloaded or doesn't work on their device.

No reason the Fly app needs to be shoved down our throats for that matter.
2019-12-10
Use props
The Watchman News
lvl.3
Flight distance : 63970 ft
United States

I use a Galaxy S7 and it does not drain the controller's battery that fast. It simply does not. But if you are concerned with that then just charge your phone fully before flying. The only thing I would use an iPhone for is to level an unsteady table. Overpriced overrated junk. Bring on the hate. I'll put a benchmark test up on the table between the latest devices any day of the week. That being said yes the compatibility list is severely lacking. I would like to see more tablets be able to be used. It's obvious I won't buy a crapple tablet. Looking at a Note 8 but I would like a little bigger screen than that.
2019-12-10
Use props
emaneg
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1591 ft
Italy

Xiaomi redmi note 7 (not on the list) works fine, reasonable price and dedicated only to MM control (no SIM)
2019-12-11
Use props
JodyB
lvl.4
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

The Watchman News Posted at 12-10 07:04
I use a Galaxy S7 and it does not drain the controller's battery that fast. It simply does not. But if you are concerned with that then just charge your phone fully before flying. The only thing I would use an iPhone for is to level an unsteady table. Overpriced overrated junk. Bring on the hate. I'll put a benchmark test up on the table between the latest devices any day of the week. That being said yes the compatibility list is severely lacking. I would like to see more tablets be able to be used. It's obvious I won't buy a crapple tablet. Looking at a Note 8 but I would like a little bigger screen than that.

Some would call me an Apple Fan Boy of sorts. In reality, I don't care which I use. Android or Apple devices. From my experience though, while androids usually beat apple to the punch on processing speed and features, the Apple devices life span has been much greater than any Android I've owned. Again, that's just a personal experience and may very from person to person. I do agree with apple products being over priced. Heck, I think all devices are over priced for that matter. In the end, it's what I have on hand and if I don't have it on hand, it's what ever I can get the best deal on, new or used, that will suite my needs.
2019-12-11
Use props
The Watchman News
lvl.3
Flight distance : 63970 ft
United States

JodyB Posted at 12-11 06:42
Some would call me an Apple Fan Boy of sorts. In reality, I don't care which I use. Android or Apple devices. From my experience though, while androids usually beat apple to the punch on processing speed and features, the Apple devices life span has been much greater than any Android I've owned. Again, that's just a personal experience and may very from person to person. I do agree with apple products being over priced. Heck, I think all devices are over priced for that matter. In the end, it's what I have on hand and if I don't have it on hand, it's what ever I can get the best deal on, new or used, that will suite my needs.

You are correct that Apple products will outlast most Android products as far as usable lifespan goes. That's largely because of the wide selection of junk Android devices. That's where Apple from a business standpoint has it right. They won't let anyone else produce hardware for their software. Incidentally, that is also one of my biggest issues with them. I'm an open-source kind of guy. If you want an Android phone that will last a long time as far as usability you have to go with what they call the flagship phones. Like the Galaxy lineup for example. I had an HTC Rezound that stunned me how well it kept up over several years stacked up against the new devices. That was HTC's last good phone really. Never in a million years did I ever imagine that Samsung would come out on top in the phone market. That's why I never become a fanboy. Technology is always changing along with it's leaders.
2019-12-11
Use props
JodyB
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

The Watchman News Posted at 12-11 07:21
You are correct that Apple products will outlast most Android products as far as usable lifespan goes. That's largely because of the wide selection of junk Android devices. That's where Apple from a business standpoint has it right. They won't let anyone else produce hardware for their software. Incidentally, that is also one of my biggest issues with them. I'm an open-source kind of guy. If you want an Android phone that will last a long time as far as usability you have to go with what they call the flagship phones. Like the Galaxy lineup for example. I had an HTC Rezound that stunned me how well it kept up over several years stacked up against the new devices. That was HTC's last good phone really. Never in a million years did I ever imagine that Samsung would come out on top in the phone market. That's why I never become a fanboy. Technology is always changing along with it's leaders.

Maybe it was just luck of the draw, but with my work, they've given me three different Galaxy series phones. The first was an S5. That one lasted about 6 months, then they gave me an S6. That one did a little better. It lasted until the S9 came out and that was what I got when the S6 decided it was time to call it quits. There are lots of things I like about android and there's lots of things I like about apple products. The same can be said for the opposite end of that spectrum as well for both products really. As long as the device does what I need it to do, I don't mind which it is.
2019-12-11
Use props
djiuser_n9v8ntGvkmMd
lvl.1
Flight distance : 413750 ft
United States

The iPhone se is NOT a compatible device, as per dji product support.
Capture+_2019-12-12-08-13-57.png
2019-12-12
Use props
JodyB
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_n9v8ntGvkmMd Posted at 12-12 08:17
The iPhone se is NOT a compatible device, as per dji product support.

Checking their compatibility list, official iPhone compatibility starts with the iPhone 6 and up. I have heard others say they were able to use their iPhone SE. I don't know the specs on that phone but have you tried to use it and it not install or fail? Or are you shopping for a device that will work?
2019-12-12
Use props
djiuser_RZKOx68fX1iO
lvl.2

United States

SkyFIy Posted at 12-3 13:30
From what I see you could maybe wait it out? DJI Fly is a rather new app so it's still being fixed up by the developers. Perhaps in the future your phone will be compatible. Other than that I don't really know much that can be done other than getting a new phone.

DJI has stated they have NO PLANS to make DJI Fly compatible with 32-bit CPUs. It's laughably ironic that my smartphone (64 bit capability, but with only 32 bit implemented) can fly any other DJI drone via DJI Go, but cannot fly its least expensive drone via DJI Fly. SO...I bought a very expensive paperweight, it seems.
2019-12-15
Use props
djiuser_xLubyjFZrfdj
New

Romania

Hey folks,
I have a problem...my phone isn't compatible with the app and I want to know if i can buy a phone it would work, for like 70 dollars.
2020-2-18
Use props
Alevpi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 43560 ft
Russia

1. The Mavic Mini is sold as hot cakes on a cold day, and applications for returning the drone only because of non-compatibility with DJI Fly have been announced only a couple of times, so DJI clearly will not do anything for compatibility with 32bit apps!

2. If DJI Fly is installed and launched on your smartphone or tablet, then there is a 99% chance that your smartphone will work normally with Mavic Mini. if the program is not installed, then the only solution is to change your smartphone or tablet!

3. The solution with a large power consumption from the Mavic Mini control panel is to cut the interface cable, break the power supply conductor, and solder the 56 Ohm resistance into the gap. And keep in mind that many devices that are not included in the list of compatible devices have no problems with electricity consumption from the remote control of the drone.
2020-2-18
Use props
Alevpi
lvl.4
Russia

djiuser_xLubyjFZrfdj Posted at 2-18 23:13
Hey folks,
I have a problem...my phone isn't compatible with the app and I want to know if i can buy a phone it would work, for like 70 dollars.

I don't think you need a phone with 4Gb of RAM for Android devices, except for iOS devices, they are probably more expensive than 100 USD
2020-2-18
Use props
Alevpi
lvl.4
Russia

djiuser_RZKOx68fX1iO Posted at 2019-12-15 10:35
DJI has stated they have NO PLANS to make DJI Fly compatible with 32-bit CPUs. It's laughably ironic that my smartphone (64 bit capability, but with only 32 bit implemented) can fly any other DJI drone via DJI Go, but cannot fly its least expensive drone via DJI Fly. SO...I bought a very expensive paperweight, it seems.

Unfortunately, recently, the policy of all major companies is a complete disregard for the opinion of users and an attempt to produce devices with a minimum service life.
2020-2-19
Use props
Alevpi
lvl.4
Russia

JodyB Posted at 2019-12-11 06:42

I recently bought the first Apple device for MM, and I was shocked by how much the software is poor and how much is not friendly to users, compared to Android, Apple has a lot of useless, similar programs, and there are simply no necessary programs, and Apple's policy regarding software developers is just terrible, as in other things for software users. And the separation in software on the iPhone and iPad is generally beyond good and evil!
It's terrible when people put Jailbreak on their phone or tablet to make it work on Android!
2020-2-19
Use props
Axotopia
lvl.2
Flight distance : 37536 ft
United States

SkyFIy Posted at 2019-12-3 10:05

"You will not be able to use it with any Android phone as DJI remote battery gets drained extremely fast when you connect any android device to it.  Get any iphone or an ipad mini if you want to be able to use a fully charged remote with more than 1 drone battery at a time - with an android device remote drains completely in 35-45 min."

Think Paul Atkins may be wrong on that generalization.  On both my Android based P30 Pro phone and MatePad Pro tablet, my RC battery still  has juice left after using up all (3) fully charged drone batteries from my MM Fly More package.
2020-2-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules