Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Kp Index - Why is important to know
3789 18 2019-12-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
InspektorGadjet
Captain
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

Ok so I've been using UAV Forecast before my flight, and checking it constantly in different days with different weather patterns.
I didn't know what Kp means, so I googled it, and I think the information is very useful for newbies, specially after seeing so many people's fly aways.
This may be affecting how many GPS can lock, or loose of GPS while flying:

Did you know: What is the Kp index, and why is it important?
  The Kp index measures geomagnetic disruption caused by solar activity,  on a scale from 0 (calm) to 9 (major storm). The higher the Kp index,  the more likely you are to have problems. Kp's of 1-4 are completely  safe. At a Kp of 5, you'll have problems perhaps 1% of the time. At a Kp  of 6, you'll lose an average of 5% of your locked satellites; at 7,  you'll lose roughly one third.

Solar activity interferes with GPS signals in two ways, both due to disruptions in the ionosphere.
  (1) It decreases the signal-to-noise ratio and affects carrier  frequency, causing the receiver to lose lock on some satellites. Instead  of 9 satellites, you might lock only 6, or the number might fluctuate  from second to second.
(2) It changes the propagation delay  through the ionosphere, making GPS positioning inaccurate even if the  receiver has all satellites locked.

Even during a major storm,  the extent to which you see these problems will depend on many other  factors, including your latitude (worse at high latitudes) and the time  of day (worse at night). Sometimes everything will be fine. At other  times you'll lose lock completely, or appear to have a lock but the  position will actually be wrong by hundreds of feet.
The storms can also interfere with radio control signals, or with the onboard electronics.

So in general it's better to play it safe during solar storms at Kp of  6, even though most of the time you won't notice any issues. At 7 or  higher, you're better off sitting inside and flying a simulator.

Happy  flying!
For current and forecast Kp conditions, as well as the weather, see http://www.UAVForecast.com.

2019-12-3
Use props
djiuser_SFmb5tb7bQWj
lvl.1

Germany

Thank you
2019-12-3
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Captain
Spain

You are welcome!
2019-12-3
Use props
Tervist
Captain
Flight distance : 20830 ft
United States

Another thumbs up here for the UAV Forecast app. What I also like about it it that is also reports wind speeds and gusts at various altitudes (33 ft, 100 ft, 250 ft, etc) .

Checked conditions in my area just for the heck of it and noticed that there are 12 visible satellites with 11.9 locked and based on that the app is telling me it's not safe to fly. Can anyone tell me how it's possible to have 11.9 satellites locked? I can understand if the number was 11 or 12 but the decimal is throwing me off.
2019-12-3
Use props
JodyB
Captain
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very good information!!!

In my line of work, solar activity affects that too. I work for a cable television/internet company. We receive the majority of our television lineup via satellite broadcast. Twice per year, in the spring and fall a good portion of those broadcasts are interrupted by solar activity. Those events usually last for about 5-10 minutes for a period of about a week straight. So I can imagine what kind of an affect it would have trying to gain satellite lock for GPS systems like those used in drones.
2019-12-3
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 93626696 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Good info,  Also a user of UAV Forecast here.
2019-12-3
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. Thank you for sharing this very informative post. This post will be a very big help to all our valued DJI co pilots regards to this matter. Thank you for your valued support.
2019-12-3
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Captain
Flight distance : 3428747 ft
Spain

Thanks for info Dro !!!
2019-12-3
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Captain
Spain

Tervist Posted at 12-3 06:04
Another thumbs up here for the UAV Forecast app. What I also like about it it that is also reports wind speeds and gusts at various altitudes (33 ft, 100 ft, 250 ft, etc) .

Checked conditions in my area just for the heck of it and noticed that there are 12 visible satellites with 11.9 locked and based on that the app is telling me it's not safe to fly. Can anyone tell me how it's possible to have 11.9 satellites locked? I can understand if the number was 11 or 12 but the decimal is throwing me off.

Hello,
The APP like you say is awesome, it also says if you are or not in a no fly zone, the wind speed can be used with compas which updates in realtime telling you exactly where the wind is coming from, super useful to comeback safely.
The wheather report is somehow not super accurate in my area, was real foggy the other day and it said 16km visibility, the rest works incredible great.
I also customized the wind limitations, as the specs for the MINI making it even safer.
As for the decimals you mention, I gues 0.9 means that one of the satelite is only locking 90% of it.
An great little App for us pilots!
2019-12-3
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Captain
Spain

JodyB Posted at 12-3 06:07
Very good information!!!

Very interesting JodyB!
I thought this may be of very bog interest for people worried on loosing their drones, as for wheather, temperature or other factors, if one can see a high Kp level, you know you better do something else or risk loosing GPS.
2019-12-3
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Captain
Spain

DAFlys Posted at 12-3 06:10
Good info,  Also a user of UAV Forecast here.

Glad you found it useful!
After whatching some YouTube videos, I downloaded this with another few for spanish air space, even before I had my Mini, have been checking it everynoe and then, a Must have!
2019-12-3
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Captain
Spain

DJI Paladin Posted at 12-3 08:07
Hi. Thank you for sharing this very informative post. This post will be a very big help to all our valued DJI co pilots regards to this matter. Thank you for your valued support.

You are welcome DJI Paladin, we are all here trying to improve this community and their experience while flying, I feel sorry for other peoples loses so I will post anything of use I find for this matter.
2019-12-3
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Captain
Spain

Nebuchadnezzar Posted at 12-3 09:52
Thanks for info Dro !!!

Me alegro de que te guste!
2019-12-3
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

InspektorGadjet Posted at 12-3 10:13
You are welcome DJI Paladin, we are all here trying to improve this community and their experience while flying, I feel sorry for other peoples loses so I will post anything of use I find for this matter.

Hi. Thank you for sharing these additional information with us. Your contributions here at DJI Forum are well appreciated. Again, thank you for all your help and for supporting DJI.
2019-12-3
Use props
Tervist
Captain
Flight distance : 20830 ft
United States

InspektorGadjet Posted at 12-3 10:08
Hello,
The APP like you say is awesome, it also says if you are or not in a no fly zone, the wind speed can be used with compas which updates in realtime telling you exactly where the wind is coming from, super useful to comeback safely.
The wheather report is somehow not super accurate in my area, was real foggy the other day and it said 16km visibility, the rest works incredible great.

Your explanation of the 0.9 locking 90% of the satellite makes sense. Thank you!
2019-12-3
Use props
StubbornSwiss
First Officer
Flight distance : 480771 ft
United States

Excellent write up, InspektorGadjet.

Should be a must read for everyone.

Thank you!
2019-12-3
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great info. I also use the UAV forecast app.
2019-12-3
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Captain
Spain

StubbornSwiss Posted at 12-3 17:40
Excellent write up, InspektorGadjet.

Should be a must read for everyone.

Hey StubbornSwiss,
Thanks a lot, I'm very happy to read that this article was of such help for others!
2019-12-4
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Captain
Spain

Tervist Posted at 12-3 15:46
Your explanation of the 0.9 locking 90% of the satellite makes sense. Thank you!

I'm guessing here but it makes sense.
2019-12-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules