Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Atti Mode - Fly Aways
2166 20 2019-12-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
InspektorGadjet
Captain
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

Hello community,
I´m new to drone community and have been reading some fly aways, trying to be as cautious as possible.
Never really understood the ¨Atti Mode¨ but I just saw a video where the guy basically turns the Mini in Atti Mode using gafa tape.

Disclaimer!
I´m not by any means recommending this since first goes against the manual/warranty I guess, and it is dangerous. I only post this because it was the most clear example to me of what Atti Mode is in the Mavic Mini and what the behaviour of the device is... indoors.

Since the video shows how the slightest inertia pushes the Mini away, I cannot imagine what would happen if first you cannot see the drone, second is windy, even a tiny bit... and you had any sort of mommentum going with the AC... it would simply go away.

It may help new pilots to understand the danger of flying at night, or any of the ¨bad¨ scenarious for the downard system, or with no GPS, over water, under trees...

2019-12-3
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. Thank you for sharing this informative video and thank you for your valued support and safe flying.
2019-12-3
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Captain
Spain

DJI Paladin Posted at 12-3 13:32
Hi. Thank you for sharing this informative video and thank you for your valued support and safe flying.

Thanks DJI Paladin, I´m glad you didn´t tell me off about the gafa tape
2019-12-3
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

InspektorGadjet Posted at 12-3 13:35
Thanks DJI Paladin, I´m glad you didn´t tell me off about the gafa tape

You are always welcome. With regards to the gafa tape, it is not advisable to put any tapes on the sensors of the said drone, it might ruined the perfect moment you want to capture using your drone and might cause an unfortunate incident. Again, thank you for your valued support and fly safely. .
2019-12-3
Use props
fans075e21b4
lvl.1
Flight distance : 144705 ft
Vietnam

My mavicmini is only 120 meters high, is there a way to fix it?
2019-12-3
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Captain
Spain

fans075e21b4 Posted at 12-3 23:05
My mavicmini is only 120 meters high, is there a way to fix it?

The APP has a section to change the  default limits.
2019-12-4
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Captain
Spain

DJI Paladin Posted at 12-3 13:42
You are always welcome. With regards to the gafa tape, it is not advisable to put any tapes on the sensors of the said drone, it might ruined the perfect moment you want to capture using your drone and might cause an unfortunate incident. Again, thank you for your valued support and fly safely.  .

I know that is why I stated, disclaimer, dont do this.
2019-12-4
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Captain
Flight distance : 3428747 ft
Spain

Big LIKE DRO !!
2019-12-9
Use props
JodyB
Captain
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

Pretty cool information. I used to do this with my tello when flying inside to be able to go over and under things without it wanting to use the sensor to "think" it was about to hit something and move on me. It does take a bit of getting used to to fly in atti mode.
2019-12-9
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Captain
Spain

JodyB Posted at 12-9 04:43
Pretty cool information. I used to do this with my tello when flying inside to be able to go over and under things without it wanting to use the sensor to "think" it was about to hit something and move on me. It does take a bit of getting used to to fly in atti mode.

Yeah I would think so, the drone I bought my father 3 years ago was like that, no GPS or fancy locks, it doesn fly in Atti more allways, at some point I might borow it from him to learn without the easy of use of the DJI range.
But seeing how volatile it is in Atti more, outdoors I dont even want to imagine...
2019-12-9
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Captain
Spain

Glad you like it man!!
2019-12-9
Use props
Sigmo
Second Officer
United States

Good hack.  I'd recommend using painter's masking tape for this because it has weaker adhesive made for safe removal with no residue left behind.

Gaffer tape has very strong adhesive.  While true gaffer tape is also not supposed to leave any residue, I'd worry that you might put too much force on the delicate drone when trying to pull it off.  That stuff has amazing adhesive!  Don't want to yank the drone's eyeballs out or crack the body while trying to remove it.

Being able to fly in ATTI mode should be good practice, handy for learning to handle the drone in an emergency.  And it would be good for doing better indoor videos as he points out.

I'm tempted by that full protective cage, but I just looked, and it weighs a bit over 60 grams.  The DJI prop protectors weigh a bit less than that, and at my elevation, the unit barely flies with those installed.

2019-12-9
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Captain
Spain

Sigmo Posted at 12-9 10:10
Good hack.  I'd recommend using painter's masking tape for this because it has weaker adhesive made for safe removal with no residue left behind.

Gaffer tape has very strong adhesive.  While true gaffer tape is also not supposed to leave any residue, I'd worry that you might put too much force on the delicate drone when trying to pull it off.  That stuff has amazing adhesive!  Don't want to yank the drone's eyeballs out or crack the body while trying to remove it.

Interesting point regarding cage weight.
I thought the same regarding the gafa tape trick, is too agressive and sticky you dont want the tiny camera or sensors to be coveref by dust of particles after residue is left behind.
2019-12-9
Use props
JodyB
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Sigmo Posted at 12-9 10:10

Gaffer tape has very strong adhesive.  While true gaffer tape is also not supposed to leave any residue, I'd worry that you might put too much force on the delicate drone when trying to pull it off.  That stuff has amazing adhesive!  Don't want to yank the drone's eyeballs out or crack the body while trying to remove it.

The gaffer's tape I've used, wouldn't stick to itself, LOL. It barely would stick to the floor. I only used it in cases where clients would demand no residue tape for covering cables and such. In a case like this, painters tape would work well, or the same kind of gaffer's tape that is available in my locality would as well. Really any tape that would keep the sensors from working and not be permanent and easy to get off without residue (but you don't want it to just fall off either) should work fine for this.
2019-12-9
Use props
Toonleap
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1358533 ft
Panama

Why not creating a function inside the DJI app with the option of turning off the sensor for the Mavic Mini? I think the other Mavics have that option, right?
2019-12-9
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Captain
Spain

JodyB Posted at 12-9 11:27
The gaffer's tape I've used, wouldn't stick to itself, LOL. It barely would stick to the floor. I only used it in cases where clients would demand no residue tape for covering cables and such. In a case like this, painters tape would work well, or the same kind of gaffer's tape that is available in my locality would as well. Really any tape that would keep the sensors from working and not be permanent and easy to get off without residue (but you don't want it to just fall off either) should work fine for this.

I agree, I was thinking the other day how to build something with a 3d printer as a snap on cover, something that "clicks" to the enclosure.
Maybe a thick rubber band or elastik would work too.
2019-12-10
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Captain
Spain

Toonleap Posted at 12-9 15:10
Why not creating a function inside the DJI app with the option of turning off the sensor for the Mavic Mini? I think the other Mavics have that option, right?

I think that from the number of users crashing their drones or having fly away, for not reading the manual or just rushing to fly... that wouldn't be a good idea.
I really cannot understand how people would get a 400-500 device and not read the manual...
2019-12-10
Use props
JodyB
Captain
  • >>>
United States

InspektorGadjet Posted at 12-10 01:40
I agree, I was thinking the other day how to build something with a 3d printer as a snap on cover, something that "clicks" to the enclosure.
Maybe a thick rubber band or elastik would work too.

Yeah, that would work pretty well too
2019-12-10
Use props
Tervist
Captain
Flight distance : 20830 ft
United States

InspektorGadjet Posted at 12-10 01:48
I think that from the number of users crashing their drones or having fly away, for not reading the manual or just rushing to fly... that wouldn't be a good idea.
I really cannot understand how people would get a 400-500 device and not read the manual...

Agree 100% with your comment regarding people not reading the manual. I'm in the midst of reading it now in preparation for flying the Mini I just received. DJI also has helpful videos in the DJI Fly app to get beginner pilots started. Documentation and video-wise, they have outdone themselves.  This forum is also a good place to come and educate yourself before taking to the air. So, there are numerous resources available to help keep yourself out of trouble.
2019-12-10
Use props
the1shark
lvl.4
Flight distance : 43156 ft
Israel

The atti mode is due to lack of gps reception. The tape eliminates the sensors so the drone does not now he is moving. That is what you see in the video. Now outside the sensors are good only up to 10m high. So atti mode + wind + 10m or higher = 100% fly away..
2019-12-10
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Captain
Spain

Tervist Posted at 12-10 06:19
Agree 100% with your comment regarding people not reading the manual. I'm in the midst of reading it now in preparation for flying the Mini I just received. DJI also has helpful videos in the DJI Fly app to get beginner pilots started. Documentation and video-wise, they have outdone themselves.  This forum is also a good place to come and educate yourself before taking to the air. So, there are numerous resources available to help keep yourself out of trouble.

I agree this forum must be one of the best places to find answers... just using the search option in the forum delivers plenty f useful info.
I read the manual of the mini twice before I even received it, I read also the Mavic 2 manual without even owing the thing lol
Once you have understood most important things, the learning process becomes much faster than being overwhelmed with terms, techniques, checklists etc. when you are just impatient to fly.
2019-12-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules