o(^-^)o
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bigplumbs Posted at 12-4 01:23
Definition or Alter

change in character or composition, typically in a comparatively small but significant way

I certainly agree with you about the Gatwick incident,  I saw now proof of a drone being in use there.  
2019-12-4
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bigplumbs Posted at 12-4 01:20
I am afraid that has nowt to do with it. Warranty etc is one thing it is what you are required to do and you are not required to update.

You must Check

I think its clear what they mean by alter vs being up to date, however Ive rarely found updating to cause me any problems and at least with drones Ive had no issues with the updates so far.
2019-12-4
Use props
BobB
First Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

Why are some of you so anal about altering and being up to date? Get a life and leave your OCD at the door when you sign in here....
2019-12-4
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

DAFlys Posted at 12-4 01:07
Alter refers to doing something that the manufacture does not intend you to do.  Its exactly the same with a car,  the manufacturer expects its updates to be installed either OTA or when visiting a dealership, but they don't warrant the car if you change the software from a third party.

Fair description in difference of two.

Although, I am totally against firmware updates without owner's specific permission for each update.
Especially in vehicles by dealership.  

Had a vehicle in for problem that had nothing to do with computer or firmware.  Dealership updated cars firmware without asking.  Afterwards, car MPG dropped and performance dropped.  Dealership could not undo firmware.

Sound familiar?
2019-12-4
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 12-4 06:38
Fair description in difference of two.

Although, I am totally against firmware updates without owner's specific permission for each update.

I think the car dealership update is quite a different situation if you're talking about a diesel VW
2019-12-4
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

FW Updated here with 0 issues... Gimbal annoying sound is gone.
2019-12-4
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Bigplumbs Posted at 12-4 01:36
Just spent about 1.5 hours un bollexing my computer after sodding Microsoft installed an update that I did not want and did not ask for...….. Or was it Microsoft...….. How would I know

Solution for one computer, I never want automatically updated, is blocking its access to manufacture of OS's entire web domain.  Block is at Router connecting LAN to Internet (WWW).

Started by manufacture of OS pushing out a supposedly harmless new Ethernet hardware driver.  Their version, not Ethernet chip makers version.  Which resulted in computer randomly disconnecting from LAN after running for several days.  
2019-12-4
Use props
Crummett
lvl.3
Flight distance : 36929 ft
United Kingdom

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 12-4 06:48
Solution for one computer, I never want automatically updated, is blocking its access to manufacture of OS's entire web domain.  Block is at Router connecting LAN to Internet (WWW).

Started by manufacture of OS pushing out a supposedly harmless new Ethernet hardware driver.  Their version, not Ethernet chip makers version.  Which resulted in computer randomly disconnecting from LAN after running for several days.

You know you can just turn automatic updates off though, right?  Always try and update as much as you can, they update for a reason . (IT Consultant whose see security flaws feck a system muliple times haha)
2019-12-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Ice_2k Posted at 12-4 06:42
I think the car dealership update is quite a different situation if you're talking about a diesel VW

99% of all these drone FW updates are improvements for drones particularly optimized improvements which almost always improve your flying experience, but you will find that many jump on the bandwagon around here with no basis for what they are saying, and your right the car analogy has nothing to do with this drone and RC FW.
You will also find that 99% of the 1% who have problems with new FW is because they are not fully up to date on how to or not tech sufficient.
2019-12-4
Use props
davidms
lvl.4
Flight distance : 428186 ft
Canada

Updated firmware here this am, no issues. Battery is fine. I would proceed with the update as it will fix other issues. If your update bricks something DJI will have your back anyway.
2019-12-4
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

InspektorGadjet Posted at 12-4 06:47
FW Updated here with 0 issues... Gimbal annoying sound is gone.

Hey, thats good news!! I'm glad that took care of that noise man!!! Awesome!!!
2019-12-4
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Crummett Posted at 12-4 06:52
You know you can just turn automatic updates off though, right?  Always try and update as much as you can, they update for a reason . (IT Consultant whose see security flaws feck a system muliple times haha)

When manufacture honors Auto updates being turned off, and doesn't push updates.
2019-12-4
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bigplumbs Posted at 12-4 04:20
No altering my arse !.

Of course it is you start with one thing in the drone then you download something that changes or alters that firmware.

That depends on your perception and is also your right to your opinion. I'm just stating what manufacturers of devices would tell you should you ask them. In the manner in which you speak, it is altering, because in order to change anything from the original, it has to be modified, altered or changed any how you'd like to look at it. But not in the aspect in which that terminology was written in that post. Either which, I'm happy with the way I see things, your happy with the way you see things, lets just all be happy.
2019-12-4
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 12-4 05:18
Don’t listen to the naysayers, if no one updated HOW WOULD WE KNOW ? , I have never failed to update FW and have done many more than I care to remember, all but one FW improved and enhanced my flying experience, if you look at something like this logically, dji engineers SW/FW spend time on these to improve your craft also to iron out any problems, the intention is always good and 99% of the time that’s how it works, if you are convinced you are in this 1% of users don’t update but don’t advise others in a manner that the sky has fallen in, particularly with Mavic Mini a lot if not most are newbies, give them correct information, not the usual crap that if they update their craft is doomed.

Amen to that Hallmark007, my sentiments exactly.
2019-12-4
Use props
fans696dc1fa
lvl.1
Flight distance : 146060 ft
  • >>>
United States

Here’s the link to the other post I was taking about:

https://forum.dji.com/thread-202003-1-1.html

I’m glad it isn’t happening to everyone but DJI need to do something to fix users that do have the issue.
2019-12-4
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

JodyB Posted at 12-4 07:13
Amen to that Hallmark007, my sentiments exactly.

Easy if you set aside the mess with Mavic Air FW update to v01.00.0400.  Which could not be backed off.  And took over 136 days to get DJI to issue .0500.

Or for a few of us, issues with Mavic Pro in which new firmware caused problem(s) with hardware, resulting in video streaming trouble.  At least we could back off FW and problem would go away.

2019-12-4
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Gu5s Posted at 12-4 04:40
In an unprobable case - being put in front of the law - noone is going to misinterpret official recommended SW updates as altering of "intendend" FW/SW/behaviour.

Using an unofficial tool to change drone's constants out of their intended range is altering... (Max velocity, max angle and so on...)

Your interpretation..... So it is confused.

Who provided the update you installed and how do you know what it is

You need to read what it says my friend
2019-12-4
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Don’t listen to the naysayers, if no one updated HOW WOULD WE KNOW ? , I have never failed to update FW and have done many more than I care to remember, all but one FW improved and enhanced my flying experience, if you look at something like this logically, dji engineers SW/FW spend time on these to improve your craft also to iron out any problems, the intention is always good and 99% of the time that’s how it works, if you are convinced you are in this 1% of users don’t update but don’t advise others in a manner that the sky has fallen in, particularly with Mavic Mini a lot if not most are newbies, give them correct information, not the usual crap that if they update their craft is doomed.

Intention always good...…… What planet are you living on I wonder
2019-12-4
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Don’t listen to the naysayers, if no one updated HOW WOULD WE KNOW ? , I have never failed to update FW and have done many more than I care to remember, all but one FW improved and enhanced my flying experience, if you look at something like this logically, dji engineers SW/FW spend time on these to improve your craft also to iron out any problems, the intention is always good and 99% of the time that’s how it works, if you are convinced you are in this 1% of users don’t update but don’t advise others in a manner that the sky has fallen in, particularly with Mavic Mini a lot if not most are newbies, give them correct information, not the usual crap that if they update their craft is doomed.

Sir it is you that peddle the crap I am afraid

You even upload your flight data to DJI....... Have you no brain in that head of yours.

Do you also post on social media when you are going on Holiday so the Crims know when to burgle your house......

Wake up a smeel that coffee old chap
2019-12-4
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

JodyB Posted at 12-4 07:08
Hey, thats good news!! I'm glad that took care of that noise man!!! Awesome!!!

Yeah man!!
I´m so happy now, I was a bit worried and didn´t want to think on returning and not having it back after Christmas...

I also installed a legal number plate on it, with the AC serial number which would be useless if they return a different serial number AC as replacement.

Happy days, I guess all this commenting, asking, actually had an effect!
2019-12-4
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

hallmark007 Posted at 12-4 06:52
99% of all these drone FW updates are improvements for drones particularly optimized improvements which almost always improve your flying experience, but you will find that many jump on the bandwagon around here with no basis for what they are saying, and your right the car analogy has nothing to do with this drone and RC FW.
You will also find that 99% of the 1% who have problems with new FW is because they are not fully up to date on how to or not tech sufficient.

Agreeing 100% here too.
2019-12-4
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

So If I updated my Drones I would immediately not be able to fly them at all even in my house...…
Would you update in those circumstances
2019-12-4
Use props
Crummett
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Weird convo.  It's common sense that you are allowed to update the firmware on the drone and still fly it.
2019-12-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Bigplumbs Posted at 12-4 08:04
Sir it is you that peddle the crap I am afraid

You even upload your flight data to DJI....... Have you no brain in that head of yours.

You are a full blown fool, updating FW has nothing to do with broadcasting my information to anyone, in order to activate my first drone I had to sign in just like you, or are you telling us that you managed to activate your drone by magic.

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
2019-12-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Bigplumbs Posted at 12-4 08:21
So If I updated my Drones I would immediately not be able to fly them at all even in my house...…
Would you update in those circumstances

Hey you’ve already spent a whole thread telling us you updated first FW and couldn’t open NFZ, so updating this FW is not going to put you in any worse position, you like to moan this is clear by what you post , most know this already .
2019-12-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Bigplumbs Posted at 12-4 08:03
Intention always good...…… What planet are you living on I wonder

Ok once again you proving yourself to being a much bigger fool than I thought, you are now saying that dji push firmware wit bad intentions for their customers, now what kind of a fool would admit to saying that, I cringe for you .
2019-12-4
Use props
Gu5s
lvl.3
Flight distance : 284728 ft
Czechia

@Bigplumbs

OH NO!  I got home and just updated my Mavic Mini and all 3 batteries without a hitch ... My bad, I meant, that I "altered them"
Now I am gonna alter my desktop and installed SW too.
2019-12-4
Use props
Neoner
lvl.2
Flight distance : 21896 ft
United Kingdom

Bigplumbs Posted at 12-4 04:20
No altering my arse !.

Of course it is you start with one thing in the drone then you download something that changes or alters that firmware.

Stop this nonsense. Loading a new firmware into any device does not alter that firmware. What you say is ridiculous. Hacking and patching a firmware to modify features (something that's quite a fun challenge actually and I am sure you have no clue how to do) is altering the firmware. Bigplumbs - big speak little knowledge.
2019-12-4
Use props
Gu5s
lvl.3
Flight distance : 284728 ft
Czechia

Neoner Posted at 12-4 09:25
Stop this nonsense. Loading a new firmware into any device does not alter that firmware. What you say is ridiculous. Hacking and patching a firmware to modify features (something that's quite a fun challenge actually and I am sure you have no clue how to do) is altering the firmware. Bigplumbs - big speak little knowledge.

I bet in reality, he is just laughing his *** off, at the commotion he has started here.
2019-12-4
Use props
luca6686
lvl.4
Flight distance : 531841 ft
Italy

Hi All, firmware update in 5 minutes, than I've flight about 20 minutes all works fine
Thanks
2019-12-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Gu5s Posted at 12-4 09:16
@Bigplumbs

OH NO!  I got home and just updated my Mavic Mini and all 3 batteries without a hitch  ... My bad, I meant, that I "altered them"

Are you not worried like @bigplumps and @hedgetrimmer that the sky will fall in , so nowhere to fly our drones . Lol
2019-12-4
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Neoner Posted at 12-4 09:25

Loading a new firmware into any device does not alter that firmware.

Yes and no.  Matter of perspective and how one defines alter.  

Sometimes when loading new firmware, part(s) of existing firmware is altered (changed, modified, updated).  Instead of all firmware being replaced (updated).
As such, I can see both sides of this.  

2019-12-4
Use props
Crummett
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Firmware upgraded + asked me to upgrade the firmware on one of the three batteries - all good.

So far it never seems to want to upgrade the firmware on all 3 batteries at any given time. Which seems... odd?
2019-12-4
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 12-4 07:40
Easy if you set aside the mess with Mavic Air FW update to v01.00.0400.  Which could not be backed off.  And took over 136 days to get DJI to issue .0500.

Or for a few of us, issues with Mavic Pro in which new firmware caused problem(s) with hardware, resulting in video streaming trouble.  At least we could back off FW and problem would go away.

I do agree that updates can cause issues. Like Bigplumbs had the example of Microsoft Windows. I've had my share of Windows updates to go awry. And have to either roll back or just wait until the next is a pain. Sometimes makes you wonder if they test this stuff before they release it. But we are supposed to trust the official channels for our updates, right?? LOL
2019-12-4
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

JodyB Posted at 12-4 10:06
I do agree that updates can cause issues. Like Bigplumbs had the example of Microsoft Windows. I've had my share of Windows updates to go awry. And have to either roll back or just wait until the next is a pain. Sometimes makes you wonder if they test this stuff before they release it. But we are supposed to trust the official channels for our updates, right?? LOL

That is why my main workstation for audio visual production seats in a studio with no internet connection, if I need to I plug a wifi dongle, do an update or something and then off again... In the audio world many things have gone wrong with latets iOS.

For windows this is one of my secret reciepes, everybody who comes to my studio says, your computer is extremely fast... even if they have the latest mac and I have a 4 year old desktop custom pc.
2019-12-4
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

InspektorGadjet Posted at 12-4 10:43
That is why my main workstation for audio visual production seats in a studio with no internet connection, if I need to I plug a wifi dongle, do an update or something and then off again... In the audio world many things have gone wrong with latets iOS.

For windows this is one of my secret reciepes, everybody who comes to my studio says, your computer is extremely fast... even if they have the latest mac and I have a 4 year old desktop custom pc.

I know what you're saying there. The battles I've fought with the windows PC are at my work place. Our system admin deems it necessary for automatic updates. uugghhh. Even though I've had to rollback my workstations twice, they still won't listen.... LOL, good thing I get paid by the hour!!!!
2019-12-4
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

JodyB Posted at 12-4 10:50
I know what you're saying there. The battles I've fought with the windows PC are at my work place. Our system admin deems it necessary for automatic updates. uugghhh. Even though I've had to rollback my workstations twice, they still won't listen.... LOL, good thing I get paid by the hour!!!!

lololol thats hilarious, as long as they pay you... lets roll back windows every other week lol
2019-12-4
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

InspektorGadjet Posted at 12-4 10:54
lololol that hilarious, as long as they pay you... lets roll back windows every other week lol

That's right!! Hehehe!! I can't really complain, they are good to me.
2019-12-4
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

JodyB Posted at 12-4 10:58
That's right!! Hehehe!! I can't really complain, they are good to me.

Good to hear
2019-12-4
Use props
Jestered
lvl.2
Flight distance : 16112 ft
United States

The message is pretty clear to me.  It's also not referring to the general firmware.  From your own post:

"Your drone or model aircraft may include software designed to help you avoid flying in certain restricted areas.
You should not alter or disable this software if your drone or model aircraft has it."

It's very clear that they are referring to not altering or disabling software "designed to help you avoid flying in certain restricted areas".  Basically, if your drone firmware checks to see if you're in a no fly zone, you should not be modifying the firmware to get around that.  Trying to turn that into something it's not is kind of paranoid and childish.
2019-12-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules