Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 12-5 13:40
I read and see the forum troll is troll baiting again, what many won’t realize is he trolls all threads debating new FW, using the same clap trap, and to make matters worse he doesn’t own any of the crafts that he so freely comments on, his only job on this forum is to try garner support particularly from newbies by way of scaremongering about FW updates.

Many who are aware of him will vouch he doesn’t fly himself, I think because he can’t or maybe lost his craft to a crash, you will notice him all over the forum complaining about dji trying to whip up problems where there are none.

And then there are the Fanboys
2019-12-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Bigplumbs Posted at 12-6 23:51
And then there are the Fanboys

Do they include people like you , who continuously serial buy dji products, or are you not a fan , but someone who gets a real chance to whine when you purchase new product, you’ll remember Victor Meldrew , you remind me of him lol.....
2019-12-7
Use props
dalethrip
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3155161 ft
  • >>>
United States

Updated to new firmware...no problems.  You must have a bad battery,
2019-12-7
Use props
nullPeanuts
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2448 ft
United Kingdom

Updated soon as it was nearly flight ready for my first ever test flight, no issues so far but will give it a full blast in the coming week
2019-12-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

nullPeanuts Posted at 12-7 04:47
Updated soon as it was nearly flight ready for my first ever test flight, no issues so far but will give it a full blast in the coming week

Vast majority will update, and there’s a good reason why they do, because new FW is there to enhance your experience, enjoy your Mavic mini .
2019-12-7
Use props
MRDColorado
lvl.1
United States

Wow, this is kind of nuts.  I am new to drones and to this site.  I also am newly certified Part 107 so I can fly commercially if I want.  The part 107 course pretty clearly stated that if you have an accident that becomes an FAA investigation, you are responsible for the maintenance of the drone including making sure you have the manufacturer's current firmware.  I realize many drone enthusiasts aren't interested in the FAA rules necessarily, but it does clearly indicate that updating firmware is not only legal, but required.  

I happened to get the drone the day the most recent firmware update was released, and of course, installed it.  I have flown about 6 times since with no issues, with the possible exeption of the indicator for drone direction (which way it's pointing in relation to the controller) being off.  
2019-12-7
Use props
djiuser_kQ8b10RsMism
New

Germany

I updated to new firmware today and during flight the drone liftet from 5m to 20m and then crashed. I did not touch the height control according to the log. Very weird, I did not have this issue before with the old firmware. Is it possible to downgrade the firmware?
2019-12-7
Use props
the1shark
lvl.3
Flight distance : 43156 ft
Israel

djiuser_kQ8b10RsMism Posted at 12-7 12:07
I updated to new firmware today and during flight the drone liftet from 5m to 20m and then crashed. I did not touch the height control according to the log. Very weird, I did not have this issue before with the old firmware. Is it possible to downgrade the firmware?

Can you please attached the flight log ? Or give us a link to the data uploaded to airdata.com ?
2019-12-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

MRDColorado Posted at 12-7 08:33
Wow, this is kind of nuts.  I am new to drones and to this site.  I also am newly certified Part 107 so I can fly commercially if I want.  The part 107 course pretty clearly stated that if you have an accident that becomes an FAA investigation, you are responsible for the maintenance of the drone including making sure you have the manufacturer's current firmware.  I realize many drone enthusiasts aren't interested in the FAA rules necessarily, but it does clearly indicate that updating firmware is not only legal, but required.  

I happened to get the drone the day the most recent firmware update was released, and of course, installed it.  I have flown about 6 times since with no issues, with the possible exeption of the indicator for drone direction (which way it's pointing in relation to the controller) being off.

Most if not all commercial pilots around the world are bound by the same rules and it makes sense .
2019-12-7
Use props
Tony Faz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2379 ft
United States

Bigplumbs Posted at 12-4 00:53
The Drone laws also say that you should not interfere or alter the software in your drone.

If you install updates and you click ok to install it is you altering the software and you are not allowed to do that. I rather think someone who drafted the rules could have done better

Updating software/firmware from the manufacturer is part of maintaining your aircraft.
I am sure that the spirit of that "regulation" is that YOU should not be altering it yourself, as in *not sanctioned* by the manufacturer.  In fact, if there is an update you skip, and there is some incident and that update could have prevented it you are actually going against some of the Part 107 rules here in the US...specifically pre-flight checks, and maintenance... if the manufacturer says you need to do it, it is part of maintaining the quad.
2019-12-7
Use props
dutch937
lvl.3
Flight distance : 322461 ft
Canada

I did the update and almost had my drone take a swim in the lake. Started getting an error message "Max Power Load". Downloaded the flight records and seems to be something weird going on with the battery.
Anyway, seems like others have had the error message and didn't fair well...crashed their drones. I have sent the flight record from that flight to my DJI dealer to see if they can understand what happened, but not good. Not sure if this is directly related to the firmware update or not, but drone was working perfect prior to the download.
2019-12-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

dutch937 Posted at 12-7 15:27
I did the update and almost had my drone take a swim in the lake. Started getting an error message "Max Power Load". Downloaded the flight records and seems to be something weird going on with the battery.
Anyway, seems like others have had the error message and didn't fair well...crashed their drones. I have sent the flight record from that flight to my DJI dealer to see if they can understand what happened, but not good. Not sure if this is directly related to the firmware update or not, but drone was working perfect prior to the download.

You just activated payload mode, go to advanced settings and turn off.

Unless you were carrying a mavic 2 on the Mini’s  back you wouldn’t have gone into the drink .
2019-12-7
Use props
dutch937
lvl.3
Canada

ya, I checked that and it was not activated.
2019-12-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

dutch937 Posted at 12-7 16:03
ya, I checked that and it was not activated.

You have to turn on your craft to check this !
2019-12-7
Use props
dutch937
lvl.3
Canada

I mean it was checked before I even took off
point is it wasn't enabled.
2019-12-7
Use props
djiuser_kQ8b10RsMism
New

Germany

Here is the link to my crash yesterday, the drone lifted up to 20m and then dropped to the ground without touching the height control

app.airdata.com/share/LXlgfK
2019-12-7
Use props
blakamin
lvl.1
Flight distance : 68458 ft
Australia

djiuser_kQ8b10RsMism Posted at 12-7 22:54
Here is the link to my crash yesterday, the drone lifted up to 20m and then dropped to the ground without touching the height control

app.airdata.com/share/LXlgfK

You were flying under 8 metres high for half a kilometre at 45kp/h? Was this all down hill?

I'd say the reason it went 20m high was that was it would've been going for RTH height after it lost signal, then it regained signal and went back to the height you were flying, which was pretty much ground level, and then you went back to sport mode.

Look at your GPS signal too...  Wow.

Flying low has it's disadvantages. Loss of signal and poor GPS  are 2 of them.

Sorry, but this has nothing to do with firmware, this is all operator.
2019-12-7
Use props
Nkeating
New
Singapore

I have had a few issues with the latest update, with positioning and now gimbal error
2019-12-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

dutch937 Posted at 12-7 17:30
I mean it was checked before I even took off
point is it wasn't enabled.

Well I’m certain that won’t fix itself might be better to send in for repair.
2019-12-8
Use props
djiuser_kQ8b10RsMism
New

Germany

blakamin Posted at 12-7 23:36
You were flying under 8 metres high for half a kilometre at 45kp/h? Was this all down hill?

Thank you for the reply, so 5m height for 40 km/h is not high enough for the Mavic Mini? I had a chinese drone before and that was never a problem at all.
2019-12-8
Use props
JohnK48
lvl.4
Flight distance : 311020 ft
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 12-4 20:53
Don't doubt you are a professional software developer.  Being a professional, you are use to working with professionally written, debugged, and thoroughly tested software, which likely undergoes Beta testing before distribution.   

Some of members here, myself being one, feel we are to frequently playing roll of Alpha and Beta testers.  Taking for instance the case of Assistant-2.  Won't install properly on either PC running Windows or Mac running OS X.  Known and reported problems over a year-old, DJI still has not fixed.  There was also debacle with Mavic Air firmware update (previously mentioned) that made owners cautious about installing firmware updates.  As in, you guys go first and report back, then we will consider.  Then there was CrystalSky firmware fixes that were supposed to address overheat problems resulting in failing screens.  Key wording being "supposed to".

There are some legitimate concerns, but the tone of the beginning of this thread was very negative and not realistic. That being said here are a few points that may be relevant, not particularly positive or negative:
* This particular update I installed in a very timely way, but it was VERY clean and had some good improvements.
* Things would be much more under our control if there was more documentation. I know that the current trend is to not have written manuals, but these drones have such a rich hardware environment and the software environment needs to be even richer. This begs for decent documentation in some form.  Even if it is a collaboration of users like us.
* DJI seems to be responding the user community's complaints about weaknesses. This is the Christmas season, so there is not much time to get hardware into the distribution pipeline.
* Testing software is both an art and a science. I know because software that is used to test software is what I do. It would be good if DJI offered to recruit some of us as Beta testers.
* "Agile development" is a very strong trend and it means that development cycles are MUCH shorted than in times past.  This is a good thing. But it is a challenge. Where I work we have a "Customer Advisory Council". And as Jeff Besos states, "we highly value our wonderfully dissatisfied customers.", meaning that the more you deliver, the more that is asked for (if you are doing your job right).
2019-12-8
Use props
JohnK48
lvl.4
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 12-4 21:08
A heads up on another case...
Several of us have experienced case where firmware updates do not finish or make it part way through then stall.  From what we could determine, DJI's firmware server(s) or network used by servers were the problem.  Best to be on a seriously fast network (100Mbps down) or wait till load on DJI's servers or network has lessened (aka don't be early adopter).

Good point. And if this drone reaches its potential the user community will put more and more demand on it.  The download process should probably be made full proof. And keep in mind the real damage is done if the update is interrupted. If the download is interrupted the incomplete file transfer should be easily detected.  And hopefully a large download should have some checkpoints where it can be resumed without repeating long partial transmissions. This would benefit DJI as well as users.
2019-12-8
Use props
JohnK48
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 12-5 02:50
I know from being around here that every time new FW is added we get exactly the same people trying to create a bit of hysteria, it particularly concerns me when they try to force their opinions on newbies those who have just purchased their drones and are concerned about updating because there are mixed messages from some users.
I can tell you as someone who has been on this forum a very long time , there is little or no basis for not updating FW, I have never seen any crash as a result of FW/SW update, and the rule is 99% of all updates will be beneficial for users, 1% may have a problem but 90% of that 1% will be down to lack of tech savvy and just needing some help.
I hear mention of the Mavic air debacle and I note those talking about it never owned a mavic air or for that matter Mavic mini, but I can tell you that their was one problem with the Mavic air and the problem was their originally and was not caused by FW update but was solved by a FW update, and I can also tell you that it was the very same person causing hysteria about that, and yes not a mavic air owner.

Well said. And I have put three updates on my mini so far and each has been very helpful.  I look forward to more because this craft has SO MUCH potential.
I would really like it if there was a better pool of documentation and advices. These forums help, but it might be nice to have a separate forum just for documentation and how-to information.
2019-12-8
Use props
kiminx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 149032 ft
Indonesia

just upgrade the newest f/w 0300  and test fly around 20 minute, no problem so far.
2019-12-8
Use props
Droneflier
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1811322 ft
South Africa

I am a sucker for any update, update first and ask questions later LOL
2019-12-8
Use props
fans73da5d83
lvl.1

Canada

jonny007 Posted at 12-4 01:27
Which other forum posting ? Where ? Has somebody a bricked battery 100% caused by the firmware update ? I doubt.

Check The posts referring to a cell error Code 30074. It happens to whichever battery you have in your drone during the update. Mine went without a hitch but the craft has to restart after the update and that is when you get the error. My other batteries are fine and everything works well but it cost me a battery. Don't see any way of fixing it now .. battery refuses to charge and it will not fly with that battery installed...
2019-12-8
Use props
fans73da5d83
lvl.1

Canada

JohnK48 Posted at 12-4 20:02
I can envision one case where a battery might be damaged. Once an update starts it needs to finish. If the battery level is not high enough at the start of the update or if the update takes longer than it is supposed to, I can then see the battery going to 0 charge. This can indeed ruin a battery, but I suspect that during normal flight the battery is prevented from going to a truly 0% charge, but during a software update the normal cautions may be turned off in favor of the integrity of the update. I drive a Chevy Volt that has a good size Lithium Ion battery. The computer in that battery reads 0 when there is really 15% charge left and it reads 100% when it is really at 90% of absolute charge. Charging a LI battery to 100% puts undue heat stress on the battery, shortening the life. Discharging a LI battery to 0% absolute will indeed brick the battery.

Just did mine.. Started with a battery that was 98% charged.. update took 8 minutes .. went off without a hitch but after the drone was restarted the battery showed a cell error code 30074. Craft will not fly with this battery and f it is put in the charger all 4 lights flash rapidly. Thankfully when I used another battery everything works fine and it appears to be even more stable than before. from what I have read so far it looks like the battery will have to be replaced. contacting support tomorrow. Have had upgrade problems in the past with my P3 advanced … Bricked the remote after one upgrade... going to research before doing any more.... I was a tech for a telecom company for 32 years and have done many software upgrades on communication equipment and have never encountered updates that make irreversible changes like DJI... but when they work right the products are amazing so I'll just have to be more vigilant. Since the mini just came out I have a feeling that more updates are coming. I have only had mine for a month and have done this twice.
2019-12-8
Use props
JohnK48
lvl.4
United States

fans73da5d83 Posted at 12-8 15:26
Just did mine.. Started with a battery that was 98% charged.. update took 8 minutes .. went off without a hitch but after the drone was restarted the battery showed a cell error code 30074. Craft will not fly with this battery and f it is put in the charger all 4 lights flash rapidly. Thankfully when I used another battery everything works fine and it appears to be even more stable than before. from what I have read so far it looks like the battery will have to be replaced. contacting support tomorrow. Have had upgrade problems in the past with my P3 advanced … Bricked the remote after one upgrade... going to research before doing any more.... I was a tech for a telecom company for 32 years and have done many software upgrades on communication equipment and have never encountered updates that make irreversible changes like DJI... but when they work right the products are amazing so I'll just have to be more vigilant. Since the mini just came out I have a feeling that more updates are coming. I have only had mine for a month and have done this twice.

I wonder if it was doing a firmware update to the battery in addition to the drone? It is troubling.
2019-12-8
Use props
fansb4ce3c2c
lvl.1
Flight distance : 361998 ft
Australia

I updated to .0300 and now I cannot pair my RC and the drone.  I have tried every suggestion given to me (at other forums).  My Mini worked just great until I installed the firmware update this past Friday.  ow I cannot pair them. I've had two Sparks in the past and I love this Mini.  But, at the moment it is useless.  I've tried pairing the drone and the RC using the SJI Fly app, I've tried using just the RC and drone (by pusing the pairing buttons on both), and so on.  Luckily I purchased the Care package because it appears I'll need a new drone.  

If anyone has a suggestion, or experienced the same problem, I would love to hear about it,

thanks
Steven
2019-12-8
Use props
fans8109438b
lvl.1
Canada

Just got my new mavic mini today 10 Dec 19 // I have an Android phone LG type 6.0  //  unable to install the software after I download it, tried many times..It says " app not compatible with the phone" Great,  a little over $600 bucks Canadian down the drain.  
2019-12-10
Use props
fansb4ce3c2c
lvl.1
Flight distance : 361998 ft
Fiji

fansb4ce3c2c Posted at 12-8 16:08
I updated to .0300 and now I cannot pair my RC and the drone.  I have tried every suggestion given to me (at other forums).  My Mini worked just great until I installed the firmware update this past Friday.  ow I cannot pair them. I've had two Sparks in the past and I love this Mini.  But, at the moment it is useless.  I've tried pairing the drone and the RC using the SJI Fly app, I've tried using just the RC and drone (by pusing the pairing buttons on both), and so on.  Luckily I purchased the Care package because it appears I'll need a new drone.  

If anyone has a suggestion, or experienced the same problem, I would love to hear about it,

In case anyone else has an issue pairing their Mini and the RC after the firmware update .... here's an update on my case (tldr; everything works fine, once again)

Well, somewhat mysteriously my Mini and RC now communicate once again, and I thought I'd explain what I did .. even though (to me) it makes absolutely no sense.

I was unable for several days to get the AC and RC to pair.  I was online with DJI support and their conclusion was ... send it in.  The final straw was when I plugged the drone in to my computer and try to use DJI Assistant 2 and I always got the error message "USB device not recognized ..."

The morning before boxing it up, I thought I'd try one last time.  Now, I had removed the SD card to copy some stuff off it and forgot to put it back in the Mini.  I powered up the drone and then pressed the power button for 4 seconds to put it in pairing mode, then turned on the controller (without my phone connected or the DJI fly app running).  Within about 3 seconds, I noticed that the bank of four lights on the controller had stopped flashing and were solidly lit (side note, I WAY prefer the Spark green light/red light system to indicate connected).  I quickly plugged in my phone, booted up the app and voila! the phone screen showed what the drone camera was pointed at.  I next grabbed the SD card, plugged it in and immediately the AC/RC connection was lost.  Hmm, I figured I must have done something inadvertent so I repeated exactly the same sequence ... got the AC and RC connected, plugged in the card and pffft, connection lost.

So, I reformatted the card, tried again and everything since has been just as it should be,  

The only piece of evidence that tells me it might conceivably have been the card that was at fault was the error message from the computer that the USB device wasn't recognized, assuming it was trying to read the card (which was still always readable directly by the computer outside of being inserted in the drone).  This particular card was in the drone when I did the firmware update .. and I should note that I commonly removed this card to copy other files to it that were drone-video related, etc.

So ... now I have a workable drone but a lingering sense of doubt that a SD card could somehow prevent the AC and RC pairing.
2019-12-10
Use props
FireManiac44
New
United States

Bigplumbs Posted at 12-4 01:00
There you go :

Geo-awareness software

All that means is that you can not alter the Fly Safe Database or geofence limit in your DJI drone.
2019-12-15
Use props
Whitespider67
lvl.1
Flight distance : 58474 ft
United Kingdom

Which other forum posting ? Where ? Has somebody a bricked battery 100% caused by the firmware update ? I doubt.

I’ve got the Mavic Mini and immediately after the new firmware update the bad cell error 30073 appeared. I rolled back the firmware through DJI Assistant 2 and no change, so I reflashed the drone. Same result. The battery is indeed bricked. My other two batteries work fine, just not the one in the unit at the point of install. Bad show.
2019-12-15
Use props
Whitespider67
lvl.1
Flight distance : 58474 ft
United Kingdom

I’ve got the Mavic Mini and immediately after the new firmware update the bad cell error 30073 appeared. I rolled back the firmware through DJI Assistant 2 and no change, so I reflashed the drone. Same result. The battery is indeed bricked. My other two batteries work fine, just not the one in the unit at the point of install. Bad show. Another thread called Battery Error Code 30074. Lot of users reporting it.
2019-12-15
Use props
djiuser_MBEuPJYsg2A0
New

Malaysia

Bigplumbs Posted at 2019-12-4 01:00
There you go :

Geo-awareness software
Hi Newbie noobie here.. Totally agree to not update any new firmware. That's what cause my MA2 suddenly fall when I push up and backward simultaneously Already doing that several time with no issue before updating that stupid firmware
2020-12-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules