Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Drone collision?
1596 25 2019-12-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DarthSLR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1846716 ft
  • >>>
United States

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1096751

2019-12-5
Use props
FatherXmas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

1100 feet altitude and at night  I find it difficult to believe it was a consumer drone.
2019-12-5
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Absolutely possible. It's just a matter of time ...
2019-12-5
Use props
Marek-Est
lvl.4
Flight distance : 742940 ft
  • >>>
Finland

2019-12-5
Use props
ICDroneSE
lvl.4
Flight distance : 622575 ft
United States

I never fly above 400ft unless it's next to a mountain and I'm sure that there won't be any planes flying 100 ft from a cliff. And even then, I always have my flight radar app open to make sure that there are no nearby aircraft operating at a similar altitude.

Other people should do the same, especially if they want to break the law and fly above 400ft.
2019-12-5
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

"A news helicopter in California was struck by an unknown object, believed to be a drone, while in flight yesterday."
"when it was hit by a suspected drone"
"they realized a drone had most likely hit them. It reportedly damaged the helicopter's horizontal stabilizer and tail rotor,"
"Be a responsible and legal unmanned aircraft operator...know & follow the rules,""

Naturally since it was an "unknown object", the default is "a drone".
No reason as to why they "suspected drone".
Whatever "it" was, they decided to go with "it" being a drone.
Even though investigation is barely started, Law Enforcement had to join in finger-pointing

2019-12-5
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Do have to wonder if some claimed incidents involving Helicopters / drones; might be being used to cover up risky Whirly-Bird flying?

There was claimed incident involving a drone and helicopter sometime back.  Never saw actual evidence that a drone was involved.  No drone corpse.  No damage to Whirly-Bird that pointed to a drone strike.  
2019-12-5
Use props
*DM*
lvl.4
Flight distance : 507087 ft
United Kingdom

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 12-5 23:35
"A news helicopter in California was struck by an unknown object, believed to be a drone, while in flight yesterday."
"when it was hit by a suspected drone"
"they realized a drone had most likely hit them. It reportedly damaged the helicopter's horizontal stabilizer and tail rotor,"

Of course, for those a*******s the defacto scape goats are always drones, just look at Gatwick.

It will happen eventually but more folks are likely killed by their pet hamsters every year.
2019-12-6
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Is it me or is there more damage to that wing than an average DJI product would cause.
2019-12-6
Use props
Neo Supreme
lvl.4
Flight distance : 76329 ft
United States

If it was in fact a drone, it most definitely was not a consumer drone that did that.  Basically, it's speculation, though the most feasible thing to suspect, is a drone.  Though, with all of the other fabricated bad press that drones have gotten, it won't be long before officials report that drones are responsible for muggings and break-ins.
2019-12-6
Use props
djiuser_lo97ykJWpnCa
lvl.1
United States

Neo Supreme Posted at 12-6 05:41
If it was in fact a drone, it most definitely was not a consumer drone that did that.  Basically, it's speculation, though the most feasible thing to suspect, is a drone.  Though, with all of the other fabricated bad press that drones have gotten, it won't be long before officials report that drones are responsible for muggings and break-ins.

Yeah, I wouldn't rule out the possibility that if it was a drone, it belonged to LAPD. If that's the case, then once they get the story spun up for the best possible PR, they'll cop to it. (pun intended)
2019-12-6
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

first of all, this article is absolutely trash.. i mean they cant even basic math let alone properly report:  " drone flying at twice legal height"   400 feet is legal limit.. 1100 feet isnt twice that, nearly three times 400 feet.

secondly and finally... let me get this straight.  they found nothing to conclude or even consider it was a drone, no physical parts or anything and thus concluded it was...a drone..?   and these are the people that we call to for protection and justice?  

2019-12-6
Use props
Bob-Mavic Pro Platinum
lvl.4
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

Let's see . . . which was it, hmm . . .
2019-12-6
Use props
Bob-Mavic Pro Platinum
lvl.4
United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 12-6 11:35
first of all, this article is absolutely trash.. i mean they cant even basic math let alone properly report:  " drone flying at twice legal height"   400 feet is legal limit.. 1100 feet isnt twice that, nearly three times 400 feet.

secondly and finally... let me get this straight.  they found nothing to conclude or even consider it was a drone, no physical parts or anything and thus concluded it was...a drone..?   and these are the people that we call to for protection and justice?

From what I read, it the mention by the pilot that one of his passengers caught a glimpse of a red and green light, like a Drone uses.   How many people have seen things like something that turned out to be something much different, certainly not a few
2019-12-6
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

How many innocent woman have been drowned or burned alive before humankind start to consider witchery as an absurdity?
2019-12-6
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bob-Mavic Pro Platinum Posted at 12-6 12:01
From what I read, it the mention by the pilot that one of his passengers caught a glimpse of a red and green light, like a Drone uses.   How many people have seen things like something that turned out to be something much different, certainly not a few

that means nothing..lot of anti collision lighting is marked with red and green lights flashing.. drones are not the only ones to use red and green, many of the helicopters and small aircraft around here use flashing green and solid red LEDs in addition to flashing white lights. and fun fact, you can sometimes see the aircraft's own flashing lights inside the cabin depending where you are positioned and where the lights are mounted..
2019-12-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

2019-12-6
Use props
MRomine
lvl.4
Flight distance : 850971 ft
United States

ICDroneSE Posted at 12-5 21:29
I never fly above 400ft unless it's next to a mountain and I'm sure that there won't be any planes flying 100 ft from a cliff. And even then, I always have my flight radar app open to make sure that there are no nearby aircraft operating at a similar altitude.

Other people should do the same, especially if they want to break the law and fly above 400ft.

Care to share the name of that app?
2019-12-6
Use props
ICDroneSE
lvl.4
United States

MRomine Posted at 12-6 16:24
Care to share the name of that app?

Yeah sure, my bad! It's called Flightrader24!
2019-12-6
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

ICDroneSE Posted at 12-6 17:44
Yeah sure, my bad! It's called Flightrader24!

FlightRadar24 is a fairly terrible way of checking for traffic.
Generally worldwide most stuff likely to conflict with a drone doesnt broadcast ADS-B in the first place so wont show.
Secondly, anyone can opt their aircraft or airline out of FR24 display (there are huge lists of confirmed blocked aircraft).
Thirdly, if you arent in a very urban area there may well be no ADS-B receivers/feeders within range to detect low altitude traffic so nothing will show.

2019-12-7
Use props
Bob-Mavic Pro Platinum
lvl.4
United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 12-6 12:48
that means nothing..lot of anti collision lighting is marked with red and green lights flashing.. drones are not the only ones to use red and green, many of the helicopters and small aircraft around here use flashing green and solid red LEDs in addition to flashing white lights. and fun fact, you can sometimes see the aircraft's own flashing lights inside the cabin depending where you are positioned and where the lights are mounted..

No argument there Sir, that pilot even has them on the mentioned helicopter, it was a kind of (I should say something) comment - if you ask me
2019-12-7
Use props
ICDroneSE
lvl.4
United States

gnirtS Posted at 12-7 05:08
FlightRadar24 is a fairly terrible way of checking for traffic.
Generally worldwide most stuff likely to conflict with a drone doesnt broadcast ADS-B in the first place so wont show.
Secondly, anyone can opt their aircraft or airline out of FR24 display (there are huge lists of confirmed blocked aircraft).

Better than not doing anything.
2019-12-8
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

ICDroneSE Posted at 12-8 11:56
Better than not doing anything.

In contrary, not doing anything (or doing nothing) is the best way to avoid danger. How about flight simulator?
2019-12-8
Use props
ICDroneSE
lvl.4
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 12-8 13:10
In contrary, not doing anything (or doing nothing) is the best way to avoid danger. How about flight simulator?

hmm, you bring up a good point. We should all bury ourselves so that we don't run the risk of endangering anyone
2019-12-8
Use props
M Stuart K
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1267717 ft
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 12-6 01:54
Is it me or is there more damage to that wing than an average DJI product would cause.

Precisely and very widespread.  Sitting on ground Hanger damage and claimed something else later maybe?
2019-12-8
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

M Stuart K Posted at 12-8 14:37
Precisely and very widespread.  Sitting on ground Hanger damage and claimed something else later maybe?

Or something else fell off the helicopter and hit it.
2019-12-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules