Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Mini weird gimbal side pull motion
1771 11 2019-12-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Guorium
Captain
Flight distance : 513061 ft
Australia

Hello all!

I experienced an issue identical to this youtube vid’s 6-7s mark. This is the first flight after the Dec 4 fw update and subsequent imu/gimbal/compass calibration. I am traveling in China so uploading my own is pretty inconvenient. I also saw a similar video on facebook.

I noticed this video noted the high wind. I had fairly strong gusts on that day too. Feels like 30kph on the ground. I analyzed the log on phantom help log viewer and it did not show me a sharp change of attitude when the instability occurred. But I think maybe the log’s 0.1s resolution isn’t enough to show a really fast change in angle? The craft was already leaning forward and left to counter the wind while moving forward. Do you think this is due to the light craft fighting extreme wind or something else at play?

The log is here, I suspect this happened at around 8min 23.2s as there is a sudden involuntary 30-degree turn to the right of the craft then recovered quickly. This matches the motion of the side pull in my video.
https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/LW5EIQD0H8Z4HFXR25MJ/
2019-12-6
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Captain
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

Hello,
I also experienced this weird thing in one of my flights, like the compass went nuts and the whole craft tryied to re adjust, I had full VLOS with mine when it happened and I actually saw with my own eyes the whole drone doing a quick 90 degree turn and pitched down a bit too.
When I did it it wasn't too windy and the aircraft was hoovering, no inpunt from my RC at all.
I have to upload flight logs and short video when I have the time.
2019-12-6
Use props
Guorium
Captain
China

InspektorGadjet Posted at 12-6 03:22
Hello,
I also experienced this weird thing in one of my flights, like the compass went nuts and the whole craft tryied to re adjust, I had full VLOS with mine when it happened and I actually saw with my own eyes the whole drone doing a quick 90 degree turn and pitched down a bit too.
When I did it it wasn't too windy and the aircraft was hoovering, no inpunt from my RC at all.

Thanks for the valuable input. Did your drone turn back to the original direction or stayed 90deg off? I was watching the screen when it happened. The craft was doing a slow left turn while going forward. I did not see a sudden change of direction in the log viewer nor did I have to correct its heading. I uploaded the log for everyone to see.
2019-12-6
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Captain
Spain

Guorium Posted at 12-6 03:42
Thanks for the valuable input. Did your drone turn back to the original direction or stayed 90deg off? I was watching the screen when it happened. The craft was doing a slow left turn while going forward. I did not see a sudden change of direction in the log viewer nor did I have to correct its heading. I uploaded the log for everyone to see.

Hello you are welcome, when the 90º change happened it was quick and AC went back to original position. Lets see if some experienced user can help you here.
2019-12-6
Use props
Gu5s
lvl.4
Flight distance : 284728 ft
Czechia

Something similar happened this morning (couple of times in a row), luckily It was not as  scary as in the OP, but it spooked me nevertheless.... It was windless at the ground level, althought there could have been gusts, but my main suspicion is the AIR temperature....
In the morning when this hapenned it was -4C (25F), but in the aternoon when i switched locations - I got into a very windy place (8m/s ~ 18mph) - and except the wind warnings and slowed down velocity against the wind - these gimbal jerks did not happen, because it was 0C (~32F) - so that's my guess... Also this quirk seems to happen after the new FW update, but there is really noone to blame, since the flight was out of recommended conditions.

PS: sorry for uploading the sh*te quality - but I wanted to get it up quickly - no way I am spending more than 10minutes cutting, reencoding and uploading a short "quirk video" for my reply
2019-12-6
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused you. With regards to the said issue. I would recommend to please try doing an IMU and Gimbal calibration to isolate the issue. Please keep us posted for further assistance. Thank you.
2019-12-6
Use props
Guorium
Captain
China

DJI Paladin Posted at 12-6 10:51
Hi. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused you. With regards to the said issue. I would recommend to please try doing an IMU and Gimbal calibration to isolate the issue. Please keep us posted for further assistance. Thank you.

i did imu and gimbal calibration right after the Dec 4 fw update before the flight took place
2019-12-6
Use props
Guorium
Captain
China

InspektorGadjet Posted at 12-6 07:24
Hello you are welcome, when the 90º change happened it was quick and AC went back to original position. Lets see if some experienced user can help you here.

I actually see at the 8min 23.2s mark of my log there was a quick 30 deg turn to the right then it recovered!!! I did not do that with the sticks! We do have the same issue it appears.
2019-12-6
Use props
danameskilo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 512395 ft
United States

I have actually had this happen to me numerous times. It seems to happen to me though when I am full speed and I try to come to a stop. I do not have any video of it occuring though.
2019-12-6
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Captain
Spain

Guorium Posted at 12-6 14:40
I actually see at the 8min 23.2s mark of my log there was a quick 30 deg turn to the right then it recovered!!! I did not do that with the sticks! We do have the same issue it appears.

Did you open a ticket?
2019-12-7
Use props
Guorium
Captain
China

nope. should I? Last time I opened a ticket they wanted me to send it back for inspection.
2019-12-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Guorium Posted at 12-7 04:17
nope. should I? Last time I opened a ticket they wanted me to send it back for inspection.

If you open a ticket that’s what you’ll have to do, I think you should continue to test and if your happy with results then you should be ok, your warranty lasts for a period of 12 months .
2019-12-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules