12Next >
10364 40 2019-12-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dtonn
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8921 ft
United States

With Fly 1.0.3 and most recent firmware update (as of 12/5/2019) the Position/Orientation feature does not display the correct information. The map on the other hand seems to work correctly.
2019-12-6
Use props
StubbornSwiss
Second Officer
Flight distance : 480771 ft
United States

What phone/tablet are you using?
2019-12-6
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. Thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum. With regards to the said issue. May I know the what mobile device is having the said issue with the DJI Fly application. For better assistance, kindly please post short video footage of the said issue. Please keep us posted for further assistance thank you.
2019-12-6
Use props
dtonn
lvl.1
United States

Samsung Galaxy S10. I'll try to get screen video footage later.
2019-12-6
Use props
JM.REYES
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84423 ft
Spain

DJI Paladin Posted at 12-6 10:35
Hi. Thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum. With regards to the said issue. May I know the what mobile device is having the said issue with the DJI Fly application. For better assistance, kindly please post short video footage of the said issue. Please keep us posted for further assistance thank you.
Indeed the same thing happens to me. The orientation is not correct, you have the drone in front and it puts you there or behind or to the side. My device is a Xiaomi mi A2. Android 9.
2019-12-6
Use props
oldhasbeen
lvl.4
Australia

same here. worked with 1.02.
Xiaomi Redmi 5 plus android 8.01
2019-12-6
Use props
Gu5s
lvl.3
Flight distance : 284728 ft
Czechia

Same here and I will say this again: No information is better than misleading information! Until DJI can figure out how to make the relative orientation towards the operator reliable, it should not be present, since it can do more harm than help... I completely ignore the said feature and depend on my spatial orientation and the map.
(Xiaomi redmi Note 7 - and what does it have to do with a phone? - shouldn't "Home" position be enough?)
2019-12-6
Use props
The Watchman News
lvl.3
Flight distance : 63970 ft
United States

I have the same issue as well on my Samsung Galaxy S7.
2019-12-6
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

JM.REYES Posted at 12-6 11:24
Indeed the same thing happens to me. The orientation is not correct, you have the drone in front and it puts you there or behind or to the side. My device is a Xiaomi mi A2. Android 9.

Hi. Thank you for the additional information. Regarding this matter for better assistance, Kindly please provide a sample video of the said issue. Please keep us posted for further assistance. Thank you.
2019-12-6
Use props
djiuser_wzf4OKfx6BHk
lvl.2
Canada

I'm having the same issue and I'm using an iphone8
2019-12-6
Use props
StubbornSwiss
Second Officer
United States

dtonn Posted at 12-6 10:55
Samsung Galaxy S10. I'll try to get screen video footage later.

dtonn.........

Have a look at what I posted a little while back.

Mavic Mini RC Affecting Compass on Samsung Phone
2019-12-6
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi all, the calculation of the orientation of the Navigator in the DJI Fly needs to obtain the GPS of the mobile device and the orientation of the compass, therefore, it is necessary to turn on the permission of your phone's GPS and compass to DJI Fly;
It is recommended to calibrate the mobile phone's compass before the flight;
GPS position accuracy is easily affected by obstructions such as buildings. It is recommended to fly the drone in open areas.
2019-12-9
Use props
dvr
lvl.2
Flight distance : 207579 ft
India

Same issue. Samsung Note 10+ here.
2019-12-9
Use props
dtonn
lvl.1
United States

StubbornSwiss Posted at 12-6 16:55
dtonn.........

Wow. That's pretty compelling! I wonder if the same happens with a Galaxy S10. Will take a look later. Thank you!
2019-12-9
Use props
dtonn
lvl.1
United States

StubbornSwiss Posted at 12-6 16:55
dtonn.........

Does this also happen with the phone in reverse orientation? If not then perhaps a remedy could be a longer video cable so the phone can be mounted in the reverse orientation.
2019-12-9
Use props
Maxi3D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 12-9 03:03
Hi all, the calculation of the orientation of the Navigator in the DJI Fly needs to obtain the GPS of the mobile device and the orientation of the compass, therefore, it is necessary to turn on the permission of your phone's GPS and compass to DJI Fly;
It is recommended to calibrate the mobile phone's compass before the flight;
GPS position accuracy is easily affected by obstructions such as buildings. It is recommended to fly the drone in open areas.

Can I turn off that feature if I don't want it or my phone doesn't have GPS or compass?
2019-12-9
Use props
dtonn
lvl.1
United States

Maxi3D Posted at 12-9 08:10
Can I turn off that feature if I don't want it or my phone doesn't have GPS or compass?

You can use the map view which appears to completely replace the orientation view. The map view shows which way the drone is pointing and where you are located, but not the direction of the drone relative to the antennas for best signal.
2019-12-9
Use props
StubbornSwiss
Second Officer
United States

dtonn Posted at 12-9 08:01
Wow. That's pretty compelling! I wonder if the same happens with a Galaxy S10. Will take a look later. Thank you!

Please let us know if this is also the case on the S10.
2019-12-9
Use props
StubbornSwiss
Second Officer
United States

dtonn Posted at 12-9 08:49
Does this also happen with the phone in reverse orientation? If not then perhaps a remedy could be a longer video cable so the phone can be mounted in the reverse orientation.

I actually tried that, as I stated in a later post in my other thread (with the video).

The interference was still there, but less.

I can also add here that this past weekend I tried using a phone/tablet mount, thinking putting some distance between the phone and the RC might help. Although the interference is again much less, the aircraft position is still off by more than 90 degrees on the indicator.
2019-12-9
Use props
the1shark
lvl.3
Flight distance : 43156 ft
Israel

Same here Iphone XR ,
Latest app version and latest firmware
2019-12-9
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

JM.REYES Posted at 12-6 11:24

Please follow my post in 13#, if the issue persists, may we have a short screen recording for further assistance? Thank you in advance.
2019-12-9
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

the1shark Posted at 12-9 21:58
Same here Iphone XR ,
Latest app version and latest firmware

I've replied to your own thread, please check and keep us updated there, thank you.
2019-12-9
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

Not sure if this may help others, but my compass was set to not use data when not in wifi, so I turned wifi off, used the compass and asked me to allow data use, I'm hoping this will fix my issue but I have to do a flight test in order to fully check. Will report back.
2019-12-10
Use props
JM.REYES
lvl.4
Spain

DJI Mindy Posted at 12-9 23:17
Please follow my post in 13#, if the issue persists, may we have a short screen recording for further assistance? Thank you in advance.

Thank you very much for your interest. I will try to make the video at the time that the weather conditions allow, for later analysis.
2019-12-10
Use props
emaneg
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1591 ft
Italy

xiaomi redmi note 7. Phone compass calibrated (as well as MM GPS and IMU); phone GPS on; no data (no sim).

Results: it works, not perfectly but reasonably well and enough to tell you where the drone is (+-20°)
2019-12-10
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

JM.REYES Posted at 12-10 03:26
Thank you very much for your interest. I will try to make the video at the time that the weather conditions allow, for later analysis.

Thank you for your assistance.
2019-12-13
Use props
JM.REYES
lvl.4
Spain

DJI Mindi, here I leave a link to this same forum, where you can watch a video with the problem we are talking about, it is a problem of VARIOUS COMMON USERS.In my case it is the same, but with the difference that in my locality there is no low temperatures nor snow.
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=204195&extra=page%3D1%26filter%3Dtypeid%26typeid%3D712%26typeid%3D712
2019-12-13
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

After doing some tests yesterday I managed to get correct reading of the compass.

Basically, with iOS Compass APP opened, the DI FLY APP did get the correct orientation, but as soon as I move the RC the arrow would go from Front to indicate the AC is behind me (which is wrong). Since the compass keep telling the AC is behind no matter what, I swapped my phone 180 degrees... and it works...

Now the USB connector of the phone is at the right, the orientation shows correctly as long I keep my body in the same position, that means let say I take off with my body facing north, I have to keep my body in that direction for the whole flight duration or the orientation is wrong.
Hope it helps!
2020-1-4
Use props
emaneg
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1591 ft
Italy

Me and InspecorGadjet have gone deep into the problem.

On my point of view (android phone, at least) it depends on the presence of magnetic components inside the RC. Hence, when you approach the phone to the RC, the built-in magnetometer (in the phone) is affected and gives wrong information for the radar indicator of drone position.
A workaround may consist in calibrating the phone compass after it has been inserted in the RC clamps.

Of course the indication will be reliable if drone GPS is active and the drone itself is reasonably far from you.
2020-1-4
Use props
Burak C.
lvl.3
Flight distance : 21814 ft
Turkey

I just tried checking compass while phone was attached to the controller and saw that as in the video my degree was off 90 degrees. I just calibrated my compass via my phone app while attached to the controller and it just corrected itself. Since remote controller has metal inside it just messing the phones compass. When you calibrate while it's attached to the controller, phone adjusts compass and bypasses that metal disorientation. (I have note10+)
2020-1-4
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

Burak C. Posted at 1-4 12:18
I just tried checking compass while phone was attached to the controller and saw that as in the video my degree was off 90 degrees. I just calibrated my compass via my phone app while attached to the controller and it just corrected itself. Since remote controller has metal inside it just messing the phones compass. When you calibrate while it's attached to the controller, phone adjusts compass and bypasses that metal disorientation. (I have note10+)

I think possibly certain phones may have interference. I don't have any other phones to test with, but all three of my devices show compass heading correctly, after I finally figured out how to calibrate the compass on an iphone xr that is. I tried this with an iphone xr, a samsung G-S9 and an ipad air2. Basically what I did was to start the compass app on each device and run it all round the top, bottom and sides looking for any compass deviation and didn't find but the S9 to move only 1 degree off. I've seen videos showing that their compass heading is 90 degrees off so it is curious as to where this issue is stemming from that's for sure. I just wish I had other devices to test with.
2020-1-4
Use props
Burak C.
lvl.3
Flight distance : 21814 ft
Turkey

JodyB Posted at 1-4 12:28
I think possibly certain phones may have interference. I don't have any other phones to test with, but all three of my devices show compass heading correctly, after I finally figured out how to calibrate the compass on an iphone xr that is. I tried this with an iphone xr, a samsung G-S9 and an ipad air2. Basically what I did was to start the compass app on each device and run it all round the top, bottom and sides looking for any compass deviation and didn't find but the S9 to move only 1 degree off. I've seen videos showing that their compass heading is 90 degrees off so it is curious as to where this issue is stemming from that's for sure. I just wish I had other devices to test with.

I am happy for you that you don't have problem. Hope other pilots can resolve their issue too! Because this is not a software issue that can be solved with a software update. Its about phones compass placement and phones software.
2020-1-5
Use props
OSM
lvl.1

United States

Folks.  There is a video on YouTube where someone took the Mavic Mini remote controller apart and hovered a compass over different areas of the remote.  The compass heading was affected near the batteries inside.  I am quite sure DJI engineering is aware of this problem by now and I can imagine there will be no fix.  Has nothing to do with your cell phone and everything to do with the architecture of the remote controller.  The metal parts and batteries inside the remote controller affect the cell phone's compass.  This is indeed …. sad.

See for yourself.

https://youtu.be/DTwWgsvImgo
2020-1-24
Use props
fansa18119a8
New
Flight distance : 5981 ft
United States

Hi, I think I’ve found a way to fix this on any iPhone and iPad. Not sure if it will work on Android but it might. If you go in settings on your Apple device you can find the compass app. When you find it, tap on that app, and you can turn on “true north” and it should fix the issue. It worked for me and it should fix it for you. Hope this helps!
2020-5-14
Use props
djiuser_Splczrb2ZZgV
lvl.1
Flight distance : 571591 ft
Finland

fansa18119a8 Posted at 5-14 15:00
Hi, I think I’ve found a way to fix this on any iPhone and iPad. Not sure if it will work on Android but it might. If you go in settings on your Apple device you can find the compass app. When you find it, tap on that app, and you can turn on “true north” and it should fix the issue. It worked for me and it should fix it for you. Hope this helps!

Hello,

I found this topic when searching for a solution. Having read and tried all the proposed tips (except having longer cable and turning mobile 180 degree), I still have this problem. I have Samsung Galaxy S10e with the latest SW. Any suggestions?

Cheers!
2020-6-19
Use props
cLaNzKiLLeR
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1360007 ft
Malaysia

Hi there, i hope this video will explain the orientation problem as well as fixing it. Kindly do let me know if it doesnt work.
2020-6-26
Use props
djiuser_Splczrb2ZZgV
lvl.1
Flight distance : 571591 ft
Finland

Thanks for that very informative orientation video.
2020-7-26
Use props
djiuser_IOelLFvc7a7z
New

Pakistan

Aircraft orientation display not showing on screen is it off or any problem what to do?
2020-12-30
Use props
djiuser_ITN09whS4QR2
New

Bulgaria

djiuser_IOelLFvc7a7z Posted at 2020-12-30 21:50
Aircraft orientation display not showing on screen is it off or any problem what to do?

Same with me..
2021-1-25
Use props
fans5fad8194
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8320997 ft
United States

The solution to the orientation indicator issue not being accurate has been beaten to death. The solution is simple. This is my Galaxy S9. Mount it exactly as shown with the longer cable and calibrate the phone compass (do the figure 8 dance) each time you fly with Google maps while attached as shown. You should be able to get an accuracy HIGH calibration reading from Google and the aircraft indicator should be "relatively" accurate when flying.

P.S. This indicator has been removed in DJI FLY 1.2.4. There are many posts on this issue.
2021-1-28
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules