Aircraft Orientation Indicator still way off
2058 18 2019-12-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Minnesota
lvl.4
United States

The latest FW did not fix this guy's Aircraft Orientation Indicator.  There must still be a bug.

2019-12-6
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Repeat the Mantra after me: There are no bugs, there are only unrealized features.   
2019-12-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I think trying calibrations IMU compass and remote control, see how it is after that.

ignore post #2 he spends his time trolling the forums where he doesn’t even own the drone , will never be helpful but all the time trying to drag things down to his own miserable self , he’s just trolling .
2019-12-6
Use props
oldhasbeen
lvl.4
Australia

it is off by 90 degrees. there is no calibration or fidgeting possible that I have not tried to fix this.
2019-12-6
Use props
Gu5s
lvl.3
Flight distance : 284728 ft
Czechia

oldhasbeen Posted at 12-6 12:51
it is off by 90 degrees. there is no calibration or fidgeting possible that I have not tried to fix this.

It clearly is a SW bug - The drone reliably knows which way and how fast it moves (velocity) - it also usually knows which way it is facing (otherwise we'd see a drone arrow on the map strafing to the side - which does not happen) and it definitely knows where the Home is... Stuf like "oh it's probably your phone's fault" - what does phone has to do with this and should it even matter? Event If it used a realitme GPS position of the phone (IDK why? just use the Home position) - it wouldn't make sense to be that much off anyway.
2019-12-6
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

As it works the same as in the other DJO drones than you have to calibrate mobile device compass too!

In the GoApp the red arrow in the attitude/compass indicator gets info from the drone, the outer scale (N sign and the other 359 degrees :-) ) gets the info from the mobile device.
If both are well calibrated than the drone heading is correctly postioned in the compass view.

cheers
JJB
2019-12-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

JJB* Posted at 12-6 14:00
As it works the same as in the other DJO drones than you have to calibrate mobile device compass too!

In the GoApp the red arrow in the attitude/compass indicator gets info from the drone, the outer scale (N sign and the other 359 degrees :-) ) gets the info from the mobile device.

Oops bad post .
2019-12-6
Use props
Dano99
lvl.2
Canada

This definitely needs to get fixed, Ive lost connection because of not facing the drone at a distance.
2019-12-6
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Oops good post  
Hope to get my MM soon!
Will check this out how it really works, but as seen some screen recordings of the fly app i think this simplefied orientation (only the fwd 180 degrees) does work the same as in the GoApp.

In this video a perfect working position/heading indicatorhttps://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=203790&extra=page%3D1%26filter%3Dtypeid%26typeid%3D556%26typeid%3D556

cheers
JJB

2019-12-7
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

After doing some tests yesterday I managed to get correct reading of the compass.

Basically, with iOS Compass APP opened, the DI FLY APP did get the correct orientation, but as soon as I move the RC the arrow would go from Front to indicate the AC is behind me (which is wrong). Since the compass keep telling the AC is behind no matter what, I swapped my phone 180 degrees... and it works...

Now the USB connector of the phone is at the right, the orientation shows correctly as long I keep my body in the same position, that means let say I take off with my body facing north, I have to keep my body in that direction for the whole flight duration or the orientation is wrong.
Hope it helps!
2020-1-4
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

InspektorGadjet Posted at 1-4 04:23
After doing some tests yesterday I managed to get correct reading of the compass.

Basically, with iOS Compass APP opened, the DI FLY APP did get the correct orientation, but as soon as I move the RC the arrow would go from Front to indicate the AC is behind me (which is wrong). Since the compass keep telling the AC is behind no matter what, I swapped my phone 180 degrees... and it works...

Wow InspektorGadjet, that scenario makes it difficult to fly.  Stay still and don't move.  I did get an e-mail back from Customer Support stating that aircraft orientation is still being looked at.  So maybe end of January firmware update will take care of that.  One can only hope.

Hope you had a great day to fly.
2020-1-4
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-4 05:46
Wow InspektorGadjet, that scenario makes it difficult to fly.  Stay still and don't move.  I did get an e-mail back from Customer Support stating that aircraft orientation is still being looked at.  So maybe end of January firmware update will take care of that.  One can only hope.

Hope you had a great day to fly.

Yeah makes it kind of useless, however I rarely use that as an indicator I rather be VLOS or just use the map if I loose track of the AC orientation.

Would be nice if its reliable, so it´s nice to read you had a response and they are looking in to it

2020-1-4
Use props
RaisinBrann
New
United States

Same issue here - the aircraft orientation indicator in the Fly app has never functioned correctly since I purchased the drone in December.   Very disappointed and I'm extremely concerned I'll lose visual contact with the drone since it's so small.  I've calibrated the drone compass multiple times, but haven't calibrated my phones compass (suggested by another post).  Drone firmware is current and RC are up to date.  Using an Android Pixel phone with latest OS.  Ideas would be appreciated.  I was planning to return the drone to DJI for warranty repair, but figured I check the forum first.
2020-6-25
Use props
RaisinBrann
New
United States

How do I delete double post?

Trying to figure out how to delete?
2020-6-25
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

RaisinBrann Posted at 6-25 11:54
Same issue here - the aircraft orientation indicator in the Fly app has never functioned correctly since I purchased the drone in December.   Very disappointed and I'm extremely concerned I'll lose visual contact with the drone since it's so small.  I've calibrated the drone compass multiple times, but haven't calibrated my phones compass (suggested by another post).  Drone firmware is current and RC are up to date.  Using an Android Pixel phone with latest OS.  Ideas would be appreciated.  I was planning to return the drone to DJI for warranty repair, but figured I check the forum first.

but haven't calibrated my phones compass

Then you never will get the correct orientation.
2020-6-25
Use props
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The compass is something I have always had issues with using an iPhone XS. Even yesterday using the new app v1.1.15 I flew out fine, compass says drone is where it is. Halfway through the compass isn't working properly. I am in front of myself about 500m out and the compass direction is some weird white triangle to the side somewhere like it is behind me or something. This happened mid-flight and I know this is the case because I have had issues with the compass so when I took off I checked to see it was working properly. I have calibrated the compass, allowed location services, mobile data etc etc. Makes no difference. I have literally watched with the compass app open the North direction change when I inserted the phone into the remote so the remote can seem to throw the compass off. It seems to have gotten worse since they released updates for DJI Fly for the MA2. I had no issues for awhile but nowadays it seems to be an issue again.
2020-6-25
Use props
cLaNzKiLLeR
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1360007 ft
Malaysia

Hi there, i hope this video will explain the orientation problem as well as fixing it. Kindly do let me know if it doesnt work.

2020-6-26
Use props
phillipgleed
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Here's a couple of things I tried which helped, but didn't solve completely.  I think the phones orientation is being affected by magnetic fields from the controller (Google Pixel phone).  I've moulded some thick silver foil to lay over the point where the phone contacts the controller, and held it in place with blu-tac.  Fine metal gauze would be more effective though.  This shields the phone from the fields a little.  I also found that using a longer cable to take the phone well away from the controller works very time, thus proving the two items are incompatible when held together.  I think DJI needs to build in better shielding, as I can't see that a software upgrade will fix the problem.  It's a dangerous item when you can't tell where it is or where it's going and have to fly by eye alone.  I think many of us will be bringing this to bear if we lose or crash our drones.  Another simple answer for all those with a 3d printer and an eye for  profit, would be to make a lightweight plastic extension holder for the phone.
2021-1-20
Use props
mark117h
Second Officer
Flight distance : 241306 ft
United Kingdom

phillipgleed@ya Posted at 1-20 03:42
Here's a couple of things I tried which helped, but didn't solve completely.  I think the phones orientation is being affected by magnetic fields from the controller (Google Pixel phone).  I've moulded some thick silver foil to lay over the point where the phone contacts the controller, and held it in place with blu-tac.  Fine metal gauze would be more effective though.  This shields the phone from the fields a little.  I also found that using a longer cable to take the phone well away from the controller works very time, thus proving the two items are incompatible when held together.  I think DJI needs to build in better shielding, as I can't see that a software upgrade will fix the problem.  It's a dangerous item when you can't tell where it is or where it's going and have to fly by eye alone.  I think many of us will be bringing this to bear if we lose or crash our drones.  Another simple answer for all those with a 3d printer and an eye for  profit, would be to make a lightweight plastic extension holder for the phone.

That shielding  sounds like a damn good idea, I think once my warranty is over and done that I was wondering if you took the MM RC apart and got the top part of the case and modded & added some thin wire mesh I wonder if that could help kill the interference, it might be better than wrapping it around the internal battery.
2021-1-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules