a few questions about the mavic mini... batteries, cold, etc...
1657 7 2019-12-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiguy001
Second Officer

Canada

HI!

a) Curious. What happens if you *don't* automatically discharge your batteries for the mavic mini? (Good thing when I had asked about the auto-discharge, someone pointed out to me that needed to be done 'manually', so just finished doing it since it's been about 10 days and too cold/snowy to fly it). Anyways - what happens if you didn't discharge it for say 2 weeks, a month, 3 months? Does it just become useless, or lose the majority of its power, or what happens?

b) For the cold. Reading a bunch of people apparently flying it in 'cold' weather - what is 'cold' to you? I read the instructions it - it says only flying it at 0 degrees celcius (32f) or above. Phantom, etc can go down to -10, but this says 0 degrees. Are you guys successfully flying it at -5, -10, etc weather?

c) I may have been lucky with my mavic - reading the udpates - what was the 'gimbal' noise people were talking about? (Mine 'seems' to work okay as far as I can tell).

d) For those who have done the new update - are you saying also it flies better in low light conditions as opposed to before?

Thanks!

2019-12-6
Use props
o4dn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 24524 ft
France

Regarding your first point, why would you need to discharge your battery, and how would you do that (I mean, other than flying)?
I reckon a full discharge of a battery doesn't do it any good...

2019-12-7
Use props
Elias22
lvl.3
Flight distance : 105180 ft
Finland

I can answer to question B. I flew in -2c for 10 mins with no problems aside the gimbal shake which has been supposedly fixed with the new firmware.
2019-12-7
Use props
o4dn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 24524 ft
France

o4dn Posted at 12-7 01:01
Regarding your first point, why would you need to discharge your battery, and how would you do that (I mean, other than flying)?

Right, I found some info about that feature, auto-discharge is obviously not a full discharge (my bad), it stops at 60%.

But I don't remember reading anything about this in the user manual for the Mini (that's a feature found on other Mavic apparently), so you'd need to fly the drone and land it as soon as the battery reaches the 60% mark, is that the procedure?
2019-12-7
Use props
MikeCH
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10681565 ft
Germany

You must discharge your battery to ca. 60% if you want to store them more than 10 days. That's written in the manual and it important because of battery life.
2019-12-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

o4dn Posted at 12-7 01:13
Right, I found some info about that feature, auto-discharge is obviously not a full discharge (my bad), it stops at 60%.

But I don't remember reading anything about this in the user manual for the Mini (that's a feature found on other Mavic apparently), so you'd need to fly the drone and land it as soon as the battery reaches the 60% mark, is that the procedure?

You can reduce power in batteries if you have a combo just by charging your phone
2019-12-7
Use props
davidms
lvl.4
Flight distance : 428186 ft
Canada

I've been flying in -12c to -16c with any issue. I did try to fly in -21c (with windchill) and after about a minute of flight it complained the temperature was too low and the aircraft may exhibit unusual behavior to to land immediately, which I did. Other than that I had had no issues, no noticeable gimbal shake (to my old eyes) and no appreciative loss of distance. I keep the batteries warm with hot packs before I fly. I take off and hover for a minute or so and test all movements and to allow the batteries to gain some temp before I fly away. I have a few videos up on youtube of cold weather flying (Canada).

David
2019-12-7
Use props
djiguy001
Second Officer

Canada

i let it discharge by simply hovering it indoors (with prop guards) for about 10 minutes, until it reaches 40-50% charge, then land it and take the batteries out.
2019-12-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules