Mini or Air for newbie
468 4 2019-12-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
lohr500
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hi all and 1st post, so please go easy!!

I've decided I would like a drone and have been doing a lot of internet research to try and figure out which would be best.
I haven't really set a budget, other than an upper limit of £900.
I am only wanting it for amateur use around home and capturing aerial footage when on holiday etc.
When I get more confident with the drone I also intend to take some dinghy sailing videos over water.

I keep coming back to DJI products as most of the reviews are very favourable and there seems to be a great knowledge base on this forum.
I also like the idea of the Care package, just in case I do have any disasters.

I'm sure the photo and video definition on the Mini will be more than enough for my needs. The largest I am likely to project any images is on a 27 inch monitor and possibly a larger flat screen TV.

But is the enhanced collision avoidance functionality on the Air something worth having? Also is the Air more capable of self recovering if the signal is lost from the controller?
And I like the idea of active tracking on the Air as I could see this being useful when filming moving objects like the dinghy or when my son is mountain bilking.

I'm guessing I would need to spend around double the amount on an Air Combo vs Mini Combo and just can't decide if the extra expense is going to be worth it?
However I wouldn't want to buy the Mini and then discover in a few months I should have gone for the Air. So a bit of a dilema.

Has anyone got any thoughts on this?

Thanks

2019-12-7
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day lohr500. Welcome to DJI Forum and thank you for choosing DJI. Both the DJI Mavic Mini and the DJI Mavic Air are great consumer drones created by DJI. For reference I will be posting a link where in you can compare the DJI Mavic Mini and the DJI Mavic Air and other DJI drones as well. This link will show you the overview and the specifications of both drones. In addition I hope that you will get the best recommendation from our valued DJI co pilots who owns the DJI Mavic Mini and the DJI Mavic Air from there experiences. Thank you.

https://www.dji.com/uk/products/ ... ndsite&from=nav

2019-12-7
Use props
lohr500
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Quick update. I decided to go with the Mini as my 1st drone.
If I find i am really getting into drone photography/imaging, then I can always buy a more expensive model at a later date.
The cost of entry with the Mini is considerably less. Once my Mini arrives (tomorrow, all being well), I will take out the Care Refresh for peace of mind.
2019-12-11
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

lohr500 Posted at 12-11 02:50
Quick update. I decided to go with the Mini as my 1st drone.
If I find i am really getting into drone photography/imaging, then I can always buy a more expensive model at a later date.
The cost of entry with the Mini is considerably less. Once my Mini arrives (tomorrow, all being well), I will take out the Care Refresh for peace of mind.

Good choice, you will absolutely love the mini, if you become a drone addict like myself I would either buy the mavic pro 2 with the hasslehoff camera or wait for some thing new from DJI.....
2019-12-11
Use props
Neo Supreme
Second Officer
Flight distance : 76329 ft
United States

Yeah, I feel the Mini is a good choice for your first drone.
2019-12-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules