Radar wrong orientation
4571 18 2019-12-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
the1shark
lvl.3
Flight distance : 43156 ft
Israel

Mavic was updated to the 0.300 firmware, phone is Iphone Xr App version 1.03.
I still can get this radar to show the right orientation.
MM has a lot of signal issue ( at least the CE version ) , This radar window might help in some cases.
So why it is still not working ?

2019-12-7
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi there, the calculation of the orientation of the Radar in the DJI Fly needs to obtain the GPS of the mobile device and the orientation of the compass, therefore, it is necessary to turn on the permission of your phone's GPS and compass to DJI Fly;
It is recommended to calibrate the mobile phone's compass before the flight;
GPS position accuracy is easily affected by obstructions such as buildings. Please fly the drone in open areas.
2019-12-9
Use props
fans4151e1bc
lvl.2
Flight distance : 207579 ft
India

I've given up on that. using the map now. That works well.
2019-12-10
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

fans4151e1bc Posted at 12-10 00:28
I've given up on that. using the map now. That works well.

Don`t give up !  i have several devices and after good calibration it does work

Map orientation does work without compass info from mobile device, that`s why it works great if drone compass is oke.
2019-12-10
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

DJI Mindy Posted at 12-9 22:59
Hi there, the calculation of the orientation of the Radar in the DJI Fly needs to obtain the GPS of the mobile device and the orientation of the compass, therefore, it is necessary to turn on the permission of your phone's GPS and compass to DJI Fly;
GPS position accuracy is easily affected by obstructions such as buildings. Please fly the drone in open areas.

Can you explain us how to "allow the compass" permission to the DJI FLY APP? I use iOS but explanation for Android would also help.
2019-12-10
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

InspektorGadjet Posted at 12-10 02:09
Can you explain us how to "allow the compass" permission to the DJI FLY APP? I use iOS but explanation for Android would also help.

Ok so I answer myself. Is not allowing the Compass to be used by DJI FLY APP, but allowing data to be used by the compass while not in wifi, I went for a walk turned the compass on and it asked me to allow data use in settings. Mine was turned Off, so this may be my issue, still have to test it with a flight, will report back when tested.
2019-12-10
Use props
the1shark
lvl.3
Israel

InspektorGadjet Posted at 12-10 03:05
Ok so I answer myself. Is not allowing the Compass to be used by DJI FLY APP, but allowing data to be used by the compass while not in wifi, I went for a walk turned the compass on and it asked me to allow data use in settings. Mine was turned Off, so this may be my issue, still have to test it with a flight, will report back when tested.

I have an IOS device . Can you explain what you just did ??
2019-12-10
Use props
the1shark
lvl.3
Israel

DJI Mindy Posted at 12-9 22:59
Hi there, the calculation of the orientation of the Radar in the DJI Fly needs to obtain the GPS of the mobile device and the orientation of the compass, therefore, it is necessary to turn on the permission of your phone's GPS and compass to DJI Fly;
Thank you for your reply. You wrote :
it is necessary to turn on the permission of your phone's GPS and compass to DJI Fly
How do I do this on An ISO device ?

and also :
"It is recommended to calibrate the mobile phone's compass before the flight"
And how do I do that on An ISO device ?

BTW
DJI Fly app has access to Location Service.

2019-12-10
Use props
davidms
lvl.4
Flight distance : 428186 ft
Canada

I believe the answer is you need to go into Settings > Cellular. Scroll down to find Compass and allow it to use Cellular data.
2019-12-10
Use props
Part107
First Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

davidms Posted at 12-10 11:37
I believe the answer is you need to go into Settings > Cellular. Scroll down to find Compass and allow it to use Cellular data.

Did you find that on your ISO device?
2019-12-10
Use props
the1shark
lvl.3
Israel

Part107 Posted at 12-10 11:56
Did you find that on your ISO device?

That's what happens when you type from an ios device ..
found it, cellular data is enable from day 1. Does this mean my compass is calibrated ?
There is a different settings under privacy>location services>system services>compass calibration and it is enabled.
2019-12-10
Use props
Sigmo
lvl.4
United States

"I believe the answer is you need to go into Settings > Cellular. Scroll down to find Compass and allow it to use Cellular data."

I don't think my phone needs to have cell reception for its compass to work.  Instead, it actually has a dual (possibly three) axis magnetometer built in.  The compass works even in areas where there is no cell coverage.  The GPS as well, of course.  But I have to download maps for the areas where I'll be for the GPS mapping to work in those "no coverage" areas because, of course, the phone cannot download maps "on the fly" if there's no data coverage.

So I'm wondering if it's really true that you need to enable some sort of cell data coverage to use this feature.

2019-12-10
Use props
davidms
lvl.4
Flight distance : 428186 ft
Canada

Sigmo Posted at 12-10 12:59
"I believe the answer is you need to go into Settings > Cellular. Scroll down to find Compass and allow it to use Cellular data."

I don't think my phone needs to have cell reception for its compass to work.  Instead, it actually has a dual (possibly three) axis magnetometer built in.  The compass works even in areas where there is no cell coverage.  The GPS as well, of course.  But I have to download maps for the areas where I'll be for the GPS mapping to work in those "no coverage" areas because, of course, the phone cannot download maps "on the fly" if there's no data coverage.

I don’t know if data is needed for compass or not - I’m just referring to the setting that inspectorgadget changed and will report back after he’s tested. My compass works while my phone is in airplane mode so I’m not sure if enabling data will fix/calibrate compass to correct the orientation problem. I have the incorrect orientation on in DJI fly also.
2019-12-10
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

the1shark Posted at 12-10 12:49
That's what happens when you type from an ios device .. [view_image]
found it, cellular data is enable from day 1. Does this mean my compass is calibrated ?
There is a different settings under privacy>location services>system services>compass calibration and it is enabled.

On my iOS I go to privacy, location, services, systems services, compass calibration and make sure it is ON.  

Then I open the built-in Maps App and follow the on-screen prompts to get an accurate location reading.
Press the lower left side arrow till it points up.
If your compass is NOT calibrated, a Calibration Circle screen will pop-up and you will be able to calibrate the compass by filling out that circle with figure 8 movements in the air.
At the end of this process you will note that the blue line of sight in the Maps application is pointing to the correct direction.
Your compass is now calibrated properly.

When you calibrate your compass make sure you away from bulk metal, etc.
2019-12-10
Use props
Part107
First Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

the1shark Posted at 12-10 12:49

Used to be for an Android phone (as i am not as well acquainted with an iPhone even though i have a 6S+) we used to move the phone in a circle 8 to get the compass set in the Google Maps app to work correctly for directions. I haven't seen a prompt for that in many years now.

Someone with iOS knowledge know about the IOS system to add to this?
2019-12-10
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

After doing some tests yesterday I managed to get correct reading of the compass.

Basically, with iOS Compass APP opened, the DI FLY APP did get the correct orientation, but as soon as I move the RC the arrow would go from Front to indicate the AC is behind me (which is wrong). Since the compass keep telling the AC is behind no matter what, I swapped my phone 180 degrees... and it works...

Now the USB connector of the phone is at the right, the orientation shows correctly as long I keep my body in the same position, that means let say I take off with my body facing north, I have to keep my body in that direction for the whole flight duration or the orientation is wrong.
Hope it helps!
2020-1-4
Use props
BKahuna
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7425909 ft
United States

I don't think the compass in your phone has anything to do with the flight of your Mavic.  The Mavic has its own compass and that's the only one it uses.  The only thing that uses the compass in your phone is the "radar" chart.  Because that shows the relative orientation of the drone to the remote, it has to know which way both are pointed.  The map view does not require the compass in your phone.
2020-1-6
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

BKahuna Posted at 1-6 11:42
I don't think the compass in your phone has anything to do with the flight of your Mavic.  The Mavic has its own compass and that's the only one it uses.  The only thing that uses the compass in your phone is the "radar" chart.  Because that shows the relative orientation of the drone to the remote, it has to know which way both are pointed.  The map view does not require the compass in your phone.

true, i use my mob device with the top to the left in the RC clamps, good aircraft orientation in the flyapp.

If i use the device the other way....you don`t see the craft in the radar dsiplay as it only shows the forward 180 of the circle.

cheers
JJB
2020-1-6
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

the1shark Posted at 2019-12-10 12:49

I use iOS and android os both, and tying for me is the same, wonder where the problem is there?? LOL!!! I blame autocorrect.

For me, to get the calibration of the compass on my iPhone XR, I had to reset my location services. It was kind of a pain in the behind as I had to go back through each app as I used them and allowed or disallowed permission to use location and such. But that was not long after I got my mini and this issue was first brought up. It's been pretty accurate since, for me anyway.

2020-1-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules