Aspect ratio and Mavic Mini codec
4539 6 2019-12-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
warwickajones
lvl.3
  • >>>
Australia

Does anyone know if choosing a 16:9 aspect ratio for video will improve the quality of the image by reducing the load on the Mavic Mini's 40Mbs codec?
Thanks
2019-12-8
Use props
Gu5s
lvl.3
Flight distance : 284728 ft
Czechia

I've had the same thought about FPS - thinking "less images means more room for details (information)", but since MM encodes with Constant Bit Rate - any measuring will be quite difficult.
Maybe someone with lots of time on their hands, with the right equipment and "laboratory conditions" could measure the difference...
It also might prove, that the encoder has a leeway in those 40Mbits and there Will be no noticeable difference whatsoever (that is my hunch)

Objectively speaking - I don't have the answer, but I am as curious as you are.
2019-12-8
Use props
warwickajones
lvl.3
  • >>>
Australia

Gu5s Posted at 12-8 00:29
I've had the same thought about FPS - thinking "less images means more room for details (information)", but since MM encodes with Constant Bit Rate - any measuring will be quite difficult.
Maybe someone with lots of time on their hands, with the right equipment and "laboratory conditions" could measure the difference...
It also might prove, that the encoder has a leeway in those 40Mbits and there Will be no noticeable difference whatsoever (that is my hunch)

Yes! Exactly the same question, but with framerate. Frame-rate is much more likely to stress the codec.

I'm hoping an admin/moderator/engineer has, and is willing to give us, the actual answer so we don't have to wait for someone to work it out backwards through experimentation.
2019-12-8
Use props
the1shark
lvl.3
Flight distance : 43156 ft
Israel

I believe this setting is only applicable to still images.
I doubt you can shoot 4:3 video's.

Correct me if I'm wrong ..
2019-12-8
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

the1shark Posted at 12-8 05:26
I believe this setting is only applicable to still images.
I doubt you can shoot 4:3 video's.

You are correct, as far as I'm concerned there is no more adjustment than 1080 and 2.7k.
2019-12-8
Use props
Nilsblix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23047543 ft
  • >>>
Spain

I will try to explain how you easily could measure this yourself ( and btw - you can not film  16:9 or 4/3 on the mini - that is for photo)

Here is how you can find the bitrate on your recordings ( it is a from a article ) " Bitrate is the number of bits per second. The symbol is bit/s. It generally determines the size and quality of video and audio files: the higher the bitrate, the better the quality and the larger the file size because File size = bitrate (kilobits per second) x duration. In most cases, 1 byte per second (1 B/s) corresponds to 8 bit/s."

And here is the article if you want to learn more https://filmora.wondershare.com/ ... -video-bitrate.html
2019-12-8
Use props
warwickajones
lvl.3
  • >>>
Australia

Nilsblix Posted at 12-8 11:17
I will try to explain how you easily could measure this yourself ( and btw - you can not film  16:9 or 4/3 on the mini - that is for photo)

Here is how you can find the bitrate on your recordings ( it is a from a article ) " Bitrate is the number of bits per second. The symbol is bit/s. It generally determines the size and quality of video and audio files: the higher the bitrate, the better the quality and the larger the file size because File size = bitrate (kilobits per second) x duration. In most cases, 1 byte per second (1 B/s) corresponds to 8 bit/s."

That's pretty clever: the average bit rate is just the size/time (Mb/s)

I'll definitely have a go. Making two identical shots that aren't just static will be hard. Any ideas?
2019-12-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules