Gimbal jerky after v1.0.3 firmware update
1433 16 2019-12-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
arkchan
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1655138 ft
Hong Kong

So yesterday, I updated the firmware for my drone to the latest version and went to the beach for testing and shooting some surf vids. Everything was fine for the first 15 mins, but then the gimbal seems having jerky problem and tilt to wrong angle, after seeing this abnormal behaviour, I immediately returned and landed my drone manually for further checking and re-calibration.
The drone became normal after that, not sure if the new fix got problem or anything I did wrong, since I have not encountered similar issue before.

Video (so I just trim the vid to the last minute which was the problem begun to happen):
https://drive.google.com/open?id=13NzWKpAv_F2pbYo1j702iOTJGhW2Hxjq

Flight Log (I fly 17 minutes so you may want to check from around 15 minute to compare with the vid):
https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/PUPOMNXAK5JEKDI1626T

2019-12-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I see in your video that looks pretty bad, gimbal was moving a lot, make sure gimbal is fixed in correctly, try IMU calibration followed by gimbal calibration and compass calibration, IMU should be done under cool conditions.
I’d be surprised if this was a SW/FW problem.

How windy was it ?
2019-12-8
Use props
arkchan
lvl.3
Hong Kong

hallmark007 Posted at 12-8 03:21
I see in your video that looks pretty bad, gimbal was moving a lot, make sure gimbal is fixed in correctly, try IMU calibration followed by gimbal calibration and compass calibration, IMU should be done under cool conditions.
I’d be surprised if this was a SW/FW problem.

Wind is not strong, around 18km/hr (level 3)
The drone is now ok, gimbal is back to normal, but this incident could be a potential issue but I rather hope it is just calibration matter, so I upload the log and vid, hopefully it could help to notice the dev team.
2019-12-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

arkchan Posted at 12-8 06:31
Wind is not strong, around 18km/hr (level 3)
The drone is now ok, gimbal is back to normal, but this incident could be a potential issue but I rather hope it is just calibration matter, so I upload the log and vid, hopefully it could help to notice the dev team.

Good job ..
2019-12-8
Use props
Elias22
lvl.3
Flight distance : 105180 ft
Finland

It sort of looked liked the gimbal went in to FPV mode
2019-12-8
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day arkchan. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused you and it is great to know that after the IMU calibration, the gimbal calibration and compass calibration this issue was rectified. If you feel that your DJI Mavic Mini is not working properly on your next flights. Kindly please contact our DJI support team for further assistance. In addition I will cascade this thread to the designated DJI department for further attention. Thank you and have a safe flight always.
2019-12-8
Use props
arkchan
lvl.3
Hong Kong

Elias22 Posted at 12-8 07:42
It sort of looked liked the gimbal went in to FPV mode

that's strange as I was not using FPV module at that moment nor switched to FPV mode...
2019-12-8
Use props
arkchan
lvl.3
Hong Kong

DJI Stephen Posted at 12-8 08:57
Hello and good day arkchan. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused you and it is great to know that after the IMU calibration, the gimbal calibration and compass calibration this issue was rectified. If you feel that your DJI Mavic Mini is not working properly on your next flights. Kindly please contact our DJI support team for further assistance. In addition I will cascade this thread to the designated DJI department for further attention. Thank you and have a safe flight always.

Glad to hear from you and hope it helps, will further notice you guys if it still happens in next flight.
2019-12-8
Use props
JussiSL
lvl.2
Flight distance : 169403 ft
Finland

I was chasing my friend's RC plane today. My drone made odd movements twice. After that the camera kept turning down itself. It looks like the gimbal was unconscious for a while in the first video clip. Firmware version is v01.00.0300.
2019-12-8
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

That's the same exact glitch mine did some days ago, I also landed inmediately.
Mine was a sudden change of 90 degrees to the left tilted a bit like the FPV mode you mention, less of one second and back to normal, yours seems it got worse and stayed that way.
2019-12-8
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

arkchan Posted at 12-8 09:26
Glad to hear from you and hope it helps, will further notice you guys if it still happens in next flight.

You are very much welcome arkchan. Have a safe and a happy flying always. .
2019-12-9
Use props
arkchan
lvl.3
Hong Kong

JussiSL Posted at 12-8 10:03
I was chasing my friend's RC plane today. My drone made odd movements twice. After that the camera kept turning down itself. It looks like the gimbal was unconscious for a while in the first video clip. Firmware version is v01.00.0300. https://youtu.be/GBblle-STUs https://youtu.be/sODM1PiE9nw

I think there might be an "unconscious issue" under certain scenario, I also have "locked up" problem again after updating my battery, but then I used a old version battery to restart my drone and the problem was gone.

Feels like the latest firmware really got a bug or something for gimbal part
2019-12-10
Use props
arkchan
lvl.3
Hong Kong

InspektorGadjet Posted at 12-8 10:43
That's the same exact glitch mine did some days ago, I also landed inmediately.
Mine was a sudden change of 90 degrees to the left tilted a bit like the FPV mode you mention, less of one second and back to normal, yours seems it got worse and stayed that way.

Well, seems like more and more people got the problem with 1.0.3...
Since they got fix for gimbal with 1.0.3, might be the gimbal program fix is not working well then...
Hope they could find it out asap if that's the case.
2019-12-10
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

arkchan Posted at 12-10 00:49
Well, seems like more and more people got the problem with 1.0.3...
Since they got fix for gimbal with 1.0.3, might be the gimbal program fix is not working well then...
Hope they could find it out asap if that's the case.

Only Support can help and most probably they wont say anything but something will be done in following updates...
2019-12-10
Use props
fansc137c1ae
lvl.1
Australia

InspektorGadjet Posted at 2019-12-10 01:36
Only Support can help and most probably they wont say anything but something will be done in following updates...

I have the same issue. with gimbal pointing directly down it suddenly jumps up, or the side, or spirals.

Mavic Mini on 1.0.3.

30'C. mild winds.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1VkG4jDBEft4w6r6id4Gk0jS5l4-uHuCb
2020-3-2
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Spain

fansc137c1ae Posted at 3-2 03:08
I have the same issue. with gimbal pointing directly down it suddenly jumps up, or the side, or spirals.

Mavic Mini on 1.0.3.

Hello, did you try recalibrating the gimbal and everything? probably you did, and I sound like the classic tech "restart the router" but just in case lol

Did you try the latest firmware? try reflashing everything using DJI Assistant 2 and see...
Cannot wait for next updates!
2020-3-2
Use props
Zaphod42
lvl.1
Australia

Did all the calibrations and same problem exists. Have tried all 3 speed modes (P, C & S)
2020-3-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules