Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Radar orientation inaccurate
12Next >
6119 50 2019-12-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
the1shark
lvl.4
Flight distance : 43156 ft
Israel

Can someone please confirm the radar orientation window still not working properly  even after last fw 0.300 was installed ?
I am using iPhone Xr running  the latest version fly app 1.03.
Thanks in advance
2019-12-8
Use props
djiuser_6BBFyi9TSaue
lvl.4

Sweden

Yes same issue here using a galaxy s9 phone CE model. Along the 6 lines distortion on the bottom of 2K recorded video I'm very, very happy with the mini...
2019-12-8
Use props
oldhasbeen
Second Officer
Australia

not working correctly here too. shows aircraft at 3 o'clock instead at 12.
2019-12-8
Use props
StubbornSwiss
First Officer
Flight distance : 480771 ft
United States

I have been experiencing this problem from the very start - Samsung Galaxy S9+

After several questions/reponses I did a couple of tests myself........ see link below.

Mavic Mini RC Affecting Compass on Samsung Phone

It was suggested + I thought a phone holder would alleviate the problem, and so I got this Phone/Tablet Holder

Unfortunately, I can confirm that AT LEAST FOR ME, this has not solved the problem.

Very frustrating!
2019-12-8
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thank you for reaching out and we do apologize for the inconvenience. Can you please send us a video showing the problem for us to forward it to our designated department for attention. Please keep us posted. Thank you!
2019-12-8
Use props
nexus_redux
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7308658 ft
  • >>>
Austria

Same issue here. The position indicator is still totally wrong, not reliable and therefore useless...

I'm using Huawei P30, CE-model
2019-12-8
Use props
the1shark
lvl.4
Israel

DJI Gamora Posted at 12-8 14:26
Hi, thank you for reaching out and we do apologize for the inconvenience. Can you please send us a video showing the problem for us to forward it to our designated department for attention. Please keep us posted. Thank you!

There is nothing to send. The Mavic is 50m ahead of you, in your line of sight, the controller is right on the spot pointing to the mavic and when you look at the radar window the position of the Mavic is at  4-5 o'clock.  
2019-12-8
Use props
JJB*
Captain
Flight distance : 12165479 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

the1shark Posted at 12-8 23:23
There is nothing to send. The Mavic is 50m ahead of you, in your linr of sight, the controller is right on the spot pointing to the mavic and when you look at the radar window the position of the Mavic is at  4-5 o'clock.

Did you calibrate your mobile device compass??

As it works like the other DJI drones than the compass orientation is info from the mobile device.

cheers
JJB
2019-12-9
Use props
the1shark
lvl.4
Israel

JJB* Posted at 12-9 00:20
Did you calibrate your mobile device compass??

As it works like the other DJI drones than the compass orientation is info from the mobile device.

Thank you from the reply but can you elaborate ? what do you mean "mobile device compas calibration" ?
I am using an Iphone XR. I open the app, and when the arrow point to  0 degree aka : "N", it is indeed the real north as I am looking through my window ..
The only compass calibration I am aware of is the Mavic compass calibration and the DJI fly app does not require compas callibration ( at the moment ).  
2019-12-9
Use props
JJB*
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

the1shark Posted at 12-9 00:31
Thank you from the reply but can you elaborate ? what do you mean "mobile device compas calibration" ?
I am using an Iphone XR. I open the app, and when the arrow point to  0 degree aka : "N", it is indeed the real north as I am looking through my window ..
The only compass calibration I am aware of is the Mavic compass calibration and the DJI fly app does not require compas callibration ( at the moment ).

afaik the arrow direction is info from the drone, its orientation (where in the 360) info set to the scale wich gets info from the compass of a mobile device.

So if that device is not good calibrated then the position of teh drone in the flyapp is incorrect.

I know this for my Spark and MA using the GoAp, if the FlyApp works the same that above is correct.

cheers
JJB
2019-12-9
Use props
JM.REYES
First Officer
Flight distance : 84423 ft
Spain

JJB* Posted at 12-9 00:46
afaik the arrow direction is info from the drone, its orientation (where in the 360) info set to the scale wich gets info from the compass of a mobile device.

So if that device is not good calibrated then the position of teh drone in the flyapp is incorrect.
Hi. I am having the same problem. I assure that the fault is in the drones Mavic Mini or the DJI Fly application. Orientation does not work correctly. I use Android 9.0 on my Xiaomi Mi A2. The phone is correctly calibrated, because with my Phantom 3 the position radar works perfectly (with DJI GO and Lytchi). I can not record video because in my town we have been in bad weather for more than 10 days, impossible to fly.
Saludos a todos
2019-12-9
Use props
jsangil
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1055735 ft
Spain

Same problem here with iphone xs and all updated to earlier versions.
2019-12-9
Use props
JJB*
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

see this > https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D556%26typeid%3D556

a good working indicator. So not a FW problem i would say

cheers
JJB
2019-12-9
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Captain
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

Im experiencing the same, sometimes is perfect other times is not, pressing the icons says aircraft is behind remote controller even if AC is right in front on me.
2019-12-9
Use props
davidms
Second Officer
Flight distance : 428186 ft
Canada

I also experience it. Phone is an iPhone 11 Pro Max. The compass in the phone does indeed show the correct orientation but in DJI Fly it will show the drone is behind me or off to the side and pointing in a completely different direction when in fact it is hovering in front of me.
2019-12-9
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Captain
Spain

I guess this is one of those we wont know an answer from DJI until is fixed in next FW.
It just would be extremely useful to have it shown the correct orientation, in case you momentary loose sight of it.
2019-12-9
Use props
MikeCH
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10681565 ft
Germany

Same issue here. Galaxy S7, Android 8
2019-12-9
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Captain
Spain

I had my compass set to not use data while out of wifi range, so this may be the cause for others too, I still have to test if it affects and it works good now.
Will report back later when I have time to test it out.
2019-12-10
Use props
emaneg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1591 ft
Italy

Xiaomi redmi note 7 here. I did calibrate: phone compass, MM GPS and IMU and it works somehow. When you rotate your RC the drone position moves as well on the radar indicator. It's not very precise but it tells you roughly where the drone is.

I can't tell if this is just by chance, just once and never more, or if the bug has been solved with the firmware upgrade.

I'll keep you informed
2019-12-10
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Captain
Spain

emaneg Posted at 12-10 07:27
Xiaomi redmi note 7 here. I did calibrate: phone compass, MM GPS and IMU and it works somehow. When you rotate your RC the drone position moves as well on the radar indicator. It's not very precise but it tells you roughly where the drone is.

I can't tell if this is just by chance, just once and never more, or if the bug has been solved with the firmware upgrade.

Thanks for the info!
Did you do the compass calibration of the phone, while attached to the controler?
2019-12-12
Use props
emaneg
lvl.4
Italy

InspektorGadjet Posted at 12-12 12:34
Thanks for the info!
Did you do the compass calibration of the phone, while attached to the controler?

No, standing apart from the RC. As you have to move it along an 8 path, it would be difficult if attached to the RC
2019-12-12
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Captain
Spain

emaneg Posted at 12-12 15:13
No, standing apart from the RC. As you have to move it along an 8 path, it would be difficult if attached to the RC

Good to know, I have to do some tests when weather allows me.
2019-12-13
Use props
emaneg
lvl.4
Italy

InspektorGadjet Posted at 12-13 02:04
Good to know, I have to do some tests when weather allows me.

A simple test may be: launch your MM and let it hover after take off, move your self at some 10 meters away, turno yourself left and right and look on your radar indicator if the drone position move on the circle according to your rotation.

Of course, perform the test in an umperturbated area (no metallic frames or cars close to your locaction) and pay attention that the MM GPS is locked (enough sat available).

Finally you can double check with phone GPS on and off: I'm not sure wether the radar indication is based on the relative position between aircraft and RTH position, or between aircraft and position provided by phone GPS.

Let me know
2019-12-13
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Captain
Spain

Well I can confirm now the compass still doesn't work for me, no matter if I calibrate, if I leave the compass opened or having it clamped to controller...
The compass on the phone works fine, I can see it giving the correct orientation however it doesnt tell the App the correct orientation.
2019-12-30
Use props
JJB*
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

InspektorGadjet Posted at 12-30 03:39
Well I can confirm now the compass still doesn't work for me, no matter if I calibrate, if I leave the compass opened or having it clamped to controller...
The compass on the phone works fine, I can see it giving the correct orientation however it doesnt tell the App the correct orientation.

I have noticed that at take-off my MM ( i stand few meters behind the back of the drone) and flying forward the aircraft orientation start to indicate correcly if its about 6 meter away from the start point.

Frustrating to read, i have several non DJI listed devices and they show the correct ac orientation in the FDlyapp.

cheers
JJB
2019-12-30
Use props
Minnesota
Second Officer
United States

JJB* Posted at 12-30 03:55
I have noticed that at take-off my MM ( i stand few meters behind the back of the drone) and flying forward the aircraft orientation start to indicate correcly if its about 6 meter away from the start point.

Frustrating to read, i have several non DJI listed devices and they show the correct ac orientation in the FDlyapp.

I noticed the same thing.  Do you think DJI's code assumes when you take-off  that you very likely are facing  the drone, and that the code uses that as a baseline heading for the RC even if the phone's compass is being interfered with by the magnets in the controller or by the pilot's exact location environment?  
2019-12-30
Use props
JJB*
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Minnesota Posted at 12-30 04:10
I noticed the same thing.  Do you think DJI's code assumes when you take-off  that you very likely are facing  the drone, and that the code uses that as a baseline heading for the RC even if the phone's compass is being interfered with by the magnets in the controller or by the pilot's exact location environment?

Hi,

I hope not that DJI will use some kind of interference as standard for data collecting.
So no don`t think so to your question.
I have had never any problems with the aircraft orientation in the GoApp and the FlyApp.

My OnePlus and Xiaomi device compasses just work, does`n matter if on the RC or on a holder in the RC etc.

cheers
JJB
2019-12-30
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Captain
Spain

JJB* Posted at 12-30 03:55

Yeah is weird, in a number of ocasions I noticed the compass givin correct orientation, but then I AC goes over me, the orientation goes away, I just cannot replicate the behaviour... Not too bothered since the map orientation works perfectly fine.
2019-12-30
Use props
JJB*
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

InspektorGadjet Posted at 12-30 04:33
Yeah is weird, in a number of ocasions I noticed the compass givin correct orientation, but then I AC goes over me, the orientation goes away, I just cannot replicate the behaviour... Not too bothered since the map orientation works perfectly fine.

its a 180 scale  so if the craft flys behind you  its not seen in the app.
Just point the RC towards the drone and its back again.

2019-12-30
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Captain
Spain

JJB* Posted at 12-30 04:40
its a 180 scale  so if the craft flys behind you  its not seen in the app.
Just point the RC towards the drone and its back again.

Will carry on more tests for sure.
Thanks for noting that!
2019-12-30
Use props
JJB*
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

InspektorGadjet Posted at 12-30 04:43
Will carry on more tests for sure.
Thanks for noting that!

Hi,

Image 1 ; standing few meters behind MM, no correct aircraft orientation
Image 2 ; about 6 meters away (forward flying) , correct aircraft orientation
Image 3 ; above but in front of HP, within 6 meters arrow dissapears on the bottem line.

cheers
JJB
im1.png
Im2.png
Im3.png
2019-12-30
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Captain
Spain

JJB* Posted at 12-30 04:59
Hi,

Image 1 ; standing few meters behind MM, no correct aircraft orientation

Very clear, I allways was just a couple of meters from AC, I have to do tests being at 6m or more.
Thanks for the pictures!
2019-12-30
Use props
emaneg
lvl.4
Italy

Come on folks, if you have a normal magnetic compass, scout style, and you approach a piece of steel to it, the indication will be wrong: this is what happens when you approach the phone to the RC.

Solution? Put the phone in place between the RC clamps, calibrate the phone compass following the procedures suggested by the phone manufacturer and that's it!

As for the distance between RC and drone, bear in mind that the drone cpu has to do the following calculation: trace the line between you (that is the registered home point) and the actual position of the drone, then calculate the azimuth of this line (its angle with the line pointing north) and finally evaluate the angle between the azimuth and the direction where you RC (or phone) is pointing.. The azimuth calculation is more and more accurate as long as the distance between the 2 points increase; so, be patient and leave the drone fly away for a while to have its correct position!
2019-12-30
Use props
Elias22
lvl.4
Flight distance : 105180 ft
Finland

djiuser_6BBFyi9TSaue Posted at 12-8 12:07
Yes same issue here using a galaxy s9 phone CE model. Along the 6 lines distortion on the bottom of 2K recorded video I'm very, very happy with the mini...

I also noticed those lines but only in windows 10's native videoplayer. They weren't there when I viewed it on VLC.
2019-12-30
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Captain
Spain

emaneg Posted at 12-30 06:40
Come on folks, if you have a normal magnetic compass, scout style, and you approach a piece of steel to it, the indication will be wrong: this is what happens when you approach the phone to the RC.

Solution? Put the phone in place between the RC clamps, calibrate the phone compass following the procedures suggested by the phone manufacturer and that's it!

For me separating the compass or re calibrating doesn't fix the issue.
Have to carry more tests as JJB suggested.
2019-12-30
Use props
emaneg
lvl.4
Italy

InspektorGadjet Posted at 12-30 07:30
For me separating the compass or re calibrating doesn't fix the issue.
Have to carry more tests as JJB suggested.

not even recalibrating with the phone in place, clamped to the RC?
2019-12-30
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Captain
Spain

emaneg Posted at 12-30 07:44
not even recalibrating with the phone in place, clamped to the RC?

Nope. Did the test yesterday... compass app by itself works correctly so nothing is actually affecting my phones compass, is the fly app that doesnt "get it"... again have to carry on tests standing far from the drone like JJB suggested.
2019-12-30
Use props
emaneg
lvl.4
Italy

InspektorGadjet Posted at 12-30 07:51
Nope. Did the test yesterday... compass app by itself works correctly so nothing is actually affecting my phones compass, is the fly app that doesnt "get it"... again have to carry on tests standing far from the drone like JJB suggested.

you have updated the home point position and the drone is flying and the gps satellites are available and the app has the authorisation to access the compass?
2019-12-30
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Captain
Spain

emaneg Posted at 12-30 07:55
you have updated the home point position and the drone is flying and the gps satellites are available and the app has the authorisation to access the compass?

Yes... all systems checked
Not sure in iOS how you give access  at the APP for compass.
2019-12-30
Use props
Terry851
lvl.1
United States

I too have this problem.  Just flew 2 batteries worth, and the direction in DJI Fly was incorrect at least 75% of the time.  Latest firmware updates.  RC at least 20' from large metal objects (the cars), MM 30' high and up to 50' away (wind too high), drone position indicator just did  not work reliably.  I'll have to look at the map view...good suggestion.
2020-2-2
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules