4291 26 2019-12-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jollyroger Hobbies
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17392 ft
United States

Ok,
     So I bought these extension legs from PGYTECH: Pgytech Legs on Amazon .    Now I know this is not a DJI product but my issue isn't with the legs. Anyways I do not like how low the Mini sits to the ground. I know this is for weight reduction. But it puts it so close to the ground that dirt/debris can get sucked/pushed into the drone fouling up components and causing added heat generation. So to combat this I bought these wonderful leg extension. Yes I do know this raises the weight past 249g (so does the prop guards). This is a non issue for me as I am a registered hobbyist pilot in the USA. I am also aware that this will lower aircraft performance, battery usage, etc.
   The issue comes in that the Mini detects the landing gear on and gives a warning,  "extra payload detected. Max altitude set to 393ft and Max distance set to 328ft to ensure flight safety." So I either use these legs and only fly real close or I take them off and fly further. Shouldn't there be an option in the app/firmware that gives me the warning but also give me the option to disregard it, the same as other warnings you have that we can cancel. That way I can use these legs and still fly normal (with a slight degradation in performance) And yes I bought a landing pad after this but still think we should have the option.

Legs

Legs

2019-12-8
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Jollyroger Hobbies. Thank you for sharing this information and for your insights and experience in using the DJI Mavic Mini. Rest assured that these information will be forwarded to the designated DJI department for further attention and evaluation. Again thank you for your valued support.
2019-12-8
Use props
fans6dd67027
lvl.4
Flight distance : 19885 ft
United States

In the app under safety (I think) or where it shows you how to kill the motors with the joystick, if you scroll down there is an option to turn off the payload warning. It appears you will have to do that each time but at least you can turn off the warning and limitation.
2019-12-8
Use props
Jollyroger Hobbies
lvl.4
United States

fans6dd67027 Posted at 12-8 12:47
In the app under safety (I think) or where it shows you how to kill the motors with the joystick, if you scroll down there is an option to turn off the payload warning. It appears you will have to do that each time but at least you can turn off the warning and limitation.

I'll look into that next time I fly. it doesn't show that on the normal menu but didn't look for it once payload was detected. thank you
2019-12-8
Use props
djiuser_IndD8CvTd8J5
lvl.1

Malaysia

DJI Stephen Posted at 12-8 12:26
Hello and good day Jollyroger Hobbies. Thank you for sharing this information and for your insights and experience in using the DJI Mavic Mini. Rest assured that these information will be forwarded to the designated DJI department for further attention and evaluation. Again thank you for your valued support.

Hi, I had the same issue "playLoad detected" and the same condition with pgytech leg extension fitted on. It was good to fly without issue before firmware updated.  So just wondering what problem with that?  
2019-12-9
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

there is an option to turn ON or turn OFF the payload option but that option is used mostly to turn it ON.

meaning when the software switches on the option automatically due to auto-detection, the option setting is overridden and will NOT switch off the function.  it's out of your control when the system detects.

unless i am missing something; maybe there is another setting?

i agree this option should be able to cancel if the flyer agrees.  at a minimum, dji could not allow an override if the weight is much TOO heavy.  but the current payload option comes on too quickly, the threshold is way too low.  the drone will fly high but 100 yards is ridiculous and basically turns the mavic mini into a toy.  even a small town has a local park where kids can safely fly a bit further than that.

on my mavic 2 zoom, i have three strobe light, red and green in the front and white on the rear.  at twilight, i can clearly see my drone at 2 miles.  during the daytime, during my typical flying time, i can always see my drone in bright sunlight and i can determine the orientation because the red/green/white are clearly visible.  this is with the most powerful strobes so for the mm, i chose to step down  (since the mm won't fly 2 miles) and the mm legs are tiny so i needed a smaller strobe for blade clearance.  imagine my surprise when the mm bearing one tiny strobe in the front and one tiny strobe on the rear and it hits a brick wall.  the tiny drone is already small enough and i believe it can really benefit from a strobe but i'm sorry, this is ridiculous since i can always see the mm at 300 ft without a strobe.  maybe the payload limit should be increased to 5,280 feet, give us a chance.  i don't want to have to take off and reapply strobes only at night since i fly with strobes during the day, too.  one more thing, this was using 3d printed mounts so maybe it's time to discard those and use velcro to shed additional weight.  already made a ton of sacrifices just to fly the mm, a few more won't hurt just to get a decent flyer experience.

however, just like all other aspects of dji software, this feature is not foolproof.  one or twice, the payload warning didn't kick in and i was able to fly it far; had fun.  but came home, simply changed the battery, now it comes on for the next flight and my flight is limited.  that's a buzzkill for sure.  pack up and go home.  or put the drone away and start flying mavic 2 zoom, pure joy!
2019-12-9
Use props
tcg550
lvl.4
United States

The Saint Posted at 12-9 10:35
there is an option to turn ON or turn OFF the payload option but that option is used mostly to turn it ON.

meaning when the software switches on the option automatically due to auto-detection, the option setting is overridden and will NOT switch off the function.  it's out of your control when the system detects.

When it detected the extra payload I just went into the settings and turned it off. It stayed off until I landed.
2019-12-9
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

tcg550 Posted at 12-9 11:58
When it detected the extra payload I just went into the settings and turned it off. It stayed off until I landed.

ok i'll keep poking at it.  been awhile since i've been able to fly outdoors but next time i will try again.  seems to me i remember when i turned it off, it came back on as soon as the heavy payload was detected again.  i remember having a borderline payload and it was ok but i had 3 strobes and a locator in mounts.  i didn't want to go way out and have the warning come on while afar, no idea what the drone would do in that case.  but it would be awesome if you could just go in and switch this off and it will stay off; i'm good with that.  thanks.
2019-12-9
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

eta:  i've since flipped over the front mounts to make it easier to charge the strobes.

i've since flipped over the front mounts to make it easier to charge the strobes

i've since flipped over the front mounts to make it easier to charge the strobes
2019-12-9
Use props
tcg550
lvl.4
United States

I think I'm doing it wrong.

How's battery life with all that stuff?
2019-12-9
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

tcg550 Posted at 12-9 14:59
I think I'm doing it wrong.

How's battery life with all that stuff?

tiny strobes have their own little battery that last for hours; much longer than you can probably fly for the day.  the vifly beacon locator also has it's only little battery that will beep all day long should you crash your drone.  none of them feed off the main drone battery but their combined weight may have a tiny effect on the drone battery but i haven't seen it yet.  the strobes and the mounts and the beacon are all very very lightweight and will not adversely affect the mini performance.  but apparently they weight enough to throw a payload warning message.
2019-12-9
Use props
Madperk
lvl.2
Flight distance : 650089 ft
United States

Any additional weight will affect your flight time.  I tested c and p modes with and without the prop guard.  C, and p modes flight times were very close to the same.  Without prop guard I got 23 minutes flight time @20% battery warning and landed. With prop guard I had 18 minutes of flight time @ 20% battery warning and landed.

It’s worth mentioning I got 19 minutes flight time in s mode @ the 20% battery mark.  
2019-12-9
Use props
Mudassar
lvl.3
Flight distance : 76391 ft
China

can you please share the link to these lights ?
2019-12-9
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mudassar Posted at 12-9 19:45
can you please share the link to these lights ?

strobes:  https://www.firehousetechnology. ... 7_Compliant_.html#/

mounts:  https://www.aerial-pixel.com/dro ... 59041879/category=0
2019-12-9
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

Awsome, my beacon is coming in the fllowing weeks, got two the beacon and the V2, planning to use both too, so I have a light and constant beep and the other in case one fails.
The lights I want to DIY something as small as possible.
2019-12-10
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

InspektorGadjet Posted at 12-10 03:19
Awsome, my beacon is coming in the fllowing weeks, got two the beacon and the V2, planning to use both too, so I have a light and constant beep and the other in case one fails.
The lights I want to DIY something as small as possible.

good deal.  one of these days a good audible + gps beacon type locator will be standard on all dji drones (yeah i know cost and weight, etc) but it really help with piece of mind when flying (at least for me).
2019-12-10
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

The Saint Posted at 12-10 07:14
good deal.  one of these days a good audible + gps beacon type locator will be standard on all dji drones (yeah i know cost and weight, etc) but it really help with piece of mind when flying (at least for me).

That would be deffinitely cool I agree. I want to add also a GPS tracker but havent found anything small enough for the mini, I wonder why they haven´t already implemented something like that already.
2019-12-10
Use props
SgtHoffman
lvl.1

United States

Question, now that the subject has been hijacked to trackers and beacons. Has anyone used the TILE sticker? I understand that the device carries a service fee but if you are using it for Keys, Wallet etc. it might work well for the MM. Do you think this small tracker would cause Payload issues as well?
2019-12-10
Use props
Jollyroger Hobbies
lvl.4
United States

The Saint Posted at 12-10 07:14
good deal.  one of these days a good audible + gps beacon type locator will be standard on all dji drones (yeah i know cost and weight, etc) but it really help with piece of mind when flying (at least for me).

You do know the Mini has a gps tracker through the app. Select "find my aircraft" and it will show you gps location and the mini will beep and flash its lights
2019-12-10
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Jollyroger Hobbies Posted at 12-10 14:59
You do know the Mini has a gps tracker through the app. Select "find my aircraft" and it will show you gps location and the mini will beep and flash its lights

aware.  good to have but it could be better.  my last crash for m2z, the gps wasn't that helpful because i could see the drone going down and i knew where it was but the coordinates were only close but not close enough to make it easy to find.  drone went down in the high grass, bushes, and trees so it was only an estimate.  it was ok but i could tell it wasn't going to be good enough.  took me several hours to find the drone and after comparing, i realize the coordinates were ok but an audible beeper could have save me hours (of biting flies).

drone crashed and the battery popped off or it wouldn't connect to my remote and therefore impossible to sound the alarm or flash the lights.  i really wish the drone would detect a crash in progress and sound the alarm and flash the lights automatically but i guess that would drain your battery.

which leads to my 2nd crash, once again i could see the drone going down maybe 200 yards away in the woods, as i started walking i could actually hear it beeping way long before i got close to it.  i instantly knew i would find it since there is no way to miss it at this point.  but was it across the river, up a tree, unreachable?  as i approached, i could see red, green, and blue strobes lights...i'm 100 feet away and under the entire canopy of trees was lit up light a christmas tree.  strolled over and picked up my upright drone which apparently went into landing mode.
2019-12-10
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

SgtHoffman Posted at 12-10 10:26
Question, now that the subject has been hijacked to trackers and beacons. Has anyone used the TILE sticker? I understand that the device carries a service fee but if you are using it for Keys, Wallet etc. it might work well for the MM. Do you think this small tracker would cause Payload issues as well?

tile by itself may not be a problem but prob not going to matter since folks here seem to think the payload limitation can be overridden.  tile will certainly not adversely affect flight or battery life but that's only my opinion, not a fact.
2019-12-10
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

two types, i have both:

VIFLY Finder V2 works by setting it off before you take off and let it beep loudly during your entire flight.  if it goes down, find it by sound.  has it's own battery.

VIFLY Beacon also has it's own battery and if the drone crashes or it stops moving, the audible alert will fire off.  in my pic post #9, this is zip-tied to the mm right rear leg.

2019-12-10
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

full disclosure even though it is wicked cold here, i managed to get outside for two flights with the mini and neither time the payload message appeared even though my mini is fully laden.  from takeoff, as i sped off in the distance, i expected the warning lights to start flashing but they never came on after two batteries and i'm flying 1000+ feet away.  i have not yet updated to the latest software version.
2019-12-14
Use props
Jollyroger Hobbies
lvl.4
United States

I had forgotten this post and had started a new one: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... p;page=1#pid2086104

Basically I flew today and the only change was to FURTHER restrict the mini with the legs on. Max Altitude 98 feet and Max distance 164 feet. In that post DJI responded with:  
"Hi, thank you for bringing this query to us. As of the moment, we are not capable to choose whether we will set our own limits or turn off the limits on the payload mode since the DJI Mavic Mini was designed to have this functioned. You may also refer to the image below for your reference. Hope this helps. Thank you!"

Here is the post i wrote:
I bought the Pgytech extension legs a while back and used them once only once due to the fact that the mini "detected" the payload and restricted the max Altitude to 98 feet and a max distance of 164 feet. I tested them again today with the new firmware updates only to find that restriction still in place. It does not matter if I do not have payload option selected as the mini automatically detects it and sets the restriction. I have tested this both by selection and NOT selecting the payload option. Both results in the restriction being placed.

Is there a way with current firmware/software or with future firmware/software that we can choose to set our own limits or turn off the limits? I understand there will be a reduction to flight time and performance. However with these restrictions in place it limits what we can do.

The funny thing is that I can fly my mini indoors with no gps and it does NOT detect the legs and it does NOT restrict the altitude/distance. Yet with gps on and outdoors, the restrictions are placed. Seams kinda backwards don't you think????????
2020-2-13
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

since my last post in December, I have yet to ever see that payload warning again.  I use to see it every now and again and now I don't see it at all.  and I fly in the sam configuration at all times, 3 strobe lights, and 1 beacon attached.  oh, and the stickers.  

I think you should just keep playing with it (using v4) until you get it right.  I remember adding and subtracting items to see where the limits are but ultimately I'm good to go.  I agree with you, the auto config is immensely frustrating because the limitations are ridiculous low.
2020-2-13
Use props
Jollyroger Hobbies
lvl.4
United States

The Saint Posted at 2-13 20:54
since my last post in December, I have yet to ever see that payload warning again.  I use to see it every now and again and now I don't see it at all.  and I fly in the sam configuration at all times, 3 strobe lights, and 1 beacon attached.  oh, and the stickers.  

I think you should just keep playing with it (using v4) until you get it right.  I remember adding and subtracting items to see where the limits are but ultimately I'm good to go.  I agree with you, the auto config is immensely frustrating because the limitations are ridiculous low.

its possible that I get it because I am 6,155 feet above sea level in Cheyenne, Wyoming, USA. But I really don't know. Means I cannot add anything to the mini. But like I said, If I fly in my house with no gps, I do not get that warning. But as soon as it gets a gps signal outside, i am limited.
2020-2-14
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

not likely the altitude but i dunno for sure.  keep working on it; try everything.  painful if you don't resolve this, payload mode outdoors is a showstopper.
2020-2-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules