Osmo Action firmware 1.07 has RockSteady, FOV and sharpness changed?
5928 28 2019-12-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
David_Harry
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI Osmo Action firmware 01.07.00.20 update, has RockSteady, the field of view and sharpness changed?
Hi.

Here's a vloggy video thing where I'm talking about stuff that I think I've seen change in the Osmo Action since firmware 01.70.00.20

Has anyone else noticed a difference in RockSteady, the field of view or sharpness with their Action after the update?

Now, I'm not saying one way or the other if anything is good or bad, afterall, it may just be my imagination. But if certain things have changed I can actually see plus points as well as maybe some negative ones.

Also. In this video clip can anyone else see some obvious changes in exposure as the clip plays through and also driffting in the colour???

Or is it just me going mad

Cheers,
Dave.

2019-12-9
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

Yes RS has Weakened  You can not have it all as therei s Miniml Memory for this on the DJI. While GoPro now is the Leader.  DJI stop the Horseplay tell Peoplewhat you're Messing with.!!!
2019-12-9
Use props
andrei193
lvl.4
Flight distance : 240856 ft
Romania

Hei David! I just recently got the Osmo Action about a month ago and I do believe there is slightly less stabilization than in the previous firmware. I had a Hero 7 a couple of months ago and I remembered that hypersmooth was doing a better job than what I see now and since I know from all the early reviews and comparisons that rocksteady is better than hypersmooth (Hero 7), it is very plausible that it has changed. I do suspect they tweaked the sharpness after people complained it is too sharp but I am pleased with how the image quality looks now (better than Hero 8 in my opinion).

P.S. The image on the osmo action preview screen seems more stable to me from what I see on the computer screen.

2019-12-9
Use props
David_Harry
lvl.4
United Kingdom

andrei193 Posted at 12-9 05:31
Hei David! I just recently got the Osmo Action about a month ago and I do believe there is slightly less stabilization than in the previous firmware. I had a Hero 7 a couple of months ago and I remembered that hypersmooth was doing a better job than what I see now and since I know from all the early reviews and comparisons that rocksteady is better than hypersmooth (Hero 7), it is very plausible that it has changed. I do suspect they tweaked the sharpness after people complained it is too sharp but I am pleased with how the image quality looks now (better than Hero 8 in my opinion).

P.S. The image on the osmo action preview screen seems more stable to me from what I see on the computer screen.

Hi Andrei.

Thanks for the input with regard the stabilisation it's very appreciated.

As for the sharpness, my only concern was that the Action, or at least my one, wasn't particularly in focus for close objects such as people vlogging. While I totally agree that an over-sharpened image is a bit too much, my near field now seems even more out of focus. Although, like I've just said, it may actually be that my particular Action's infinity focal range wasn't ever set from a close position as it doesn't look like it's minimum focus distance is what DJI say it should be.

Thanks again.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-12-9
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

wit hthese fixed focus lenses the EIS gopro  does  do a much better job they concitrate not just hte background but you as well.   
2019-12-9
Use props
anthonyb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 486381 ft
New Zealand

How do I block Fishycomics?  His posts are really starting to annoy me.
2019-12-9
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Dave. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing your insights with regards to the new DJI Osmo Action firmware 01.70.00.20 update. I hope that our valued DJI co members will be able to share there insights as well with regards to this matter. Thank you.
2019-12-9
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

anthonyb Posted at 12-9 11:03

srsr;hja'erj'
JHK
M
p"KhjM

THAT SAYS   thank my siri
2019-12-9
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 12-9 11:43
Hello and good day Dave. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing your insights with regards to the new DJI Osmo Action firmware 01.70.00.20 update. I hope that our valued DJI co members will be able to share there insights as well with regards to this matter. Thank you.

I find that the camera's firmware  the Low battery is not part of  the issue and is another problem all together?
2019-12-9
Use props
MKosmo
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Dh, regarding the exposure - it seems to be going up and down, was the ambient light varying that much ?
2019-12-9
Use props
David_Harry
lvl.4
United Kingdom

MKosmo Posted at 12-9 13:09
Dh, regarding the exposure - it seems to be going up and down, was the ambient light varying that much ?

Hi.

I'm glad you've said that, it confirms what I'd said at the start of this thread, thanks.

I'd like to say that it was the sun going in and out of the clouds but even if it was the exposure change wasn't at all smooth. The other thing is that the colour temperature changes as well, more than the effect of exposure should cause and that's in spite of the fact that I'd locked off the white balance. You can probably see it in the clouds and skin tone as well as other parts of the frame.

The only thing I would say though is that I don't usually shoot in the standard gamma/colour profile, so would never have noticed these things as easily in the past. Maybe locking parts of the exposure routing, maybe ISO/sensitivity could help?

Despite all that, it's getting harder to justify a good moan about the Action given its new silly low price

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-12-9
Use props
zipnguyen
lvl.1
Flight distance : 99406 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dave,

is the Cynova now stereo or still mono/Left channel only still? I'm somewhat hesitant to upgrade.
2019-12-11
Use props
David_Harry
lvl.4
United Kingdom

zipnguyen Posted at 12-11 09:40
Dave,

is the Cynova now stereo or still mono/Left channel only still? I'm somewhat hesitant to upgrade.

Hi.

Great question. I've not tested for stereo yet, I'll do a quick test soon and post the results. Although I suspect that it doesn't as I think that it's the Action's audio system and not the Cynova that dictates the audio channel assignments but I'd love to be wrong about that.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-12-12
Use props
4wd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 545817 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Tried Sony mic, not stereo through cynova [deleted for further checks]
2019-12-12
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Hi David.
I took two stills from your other video on You tube and put them into Photoshop.
Then I adjusted one image until your head was the same size in both frames, taking into account the difference in your head position, You were not quite in the same place on each take with one further forward, away from the background. Your arm was also in a very slightly different position on each take and pointing slightly lower and more to one side of the frame.
Taking all of that into account I don't think there is any appreciable difference in the angle of view between the two takes.

Take one

Take two

Combo

Hope you don't mind my experiment.

Ray.
2019-12-21
Use props
tosha
lvl.1

Malaysia

whatever it is 1.07 is totally screw up. no longer buttery smooth like before. improve latency lag just a little but spoil rocksteady. the image no longer sharp and can't focus properly. it shut down by itself "low battery" warning while battery is at full charge. what a mess made by dji. VERY DISSAPOINTED. now move back to Go Pro with butter smooth image and sharpness.
2020-1-30
Use props
tosha
lvl.1

Malaysia

and more more thing forgot to mention, the image now is worst. VERY HIGH NOISE in low light!! what u guys doing DJI???
2020-1-30
Use props
tosha
lvl.1

Malaysia

Fishycomics Posted at 2019-12-9 04:06
Yes RS has Weakened  You can not have it all as therei s Miniml Memory for this on the DJI. While GoPro now is the Leader.  DJI stop the Horseplay tell Peoplewhat you're Messing with.!!!

it is totally mess!. spoiled product.
2020-1-30
Use props
M2Wair
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Prior to update I was happy with the OA, sure there was lag, but i could live with that as the OA produced buttery smooth footage. After the update the OA went from an asset in the toolbox to a useless paperweight, Rocksteady no longer producing great footage, it's awful. Powering off and a few minor issues, so sat on my desk waiting for DJI to come up with a fix, and I'm sure they will.
2020-1-31
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

I'll see i am comparing again perfect camera, some are just not happy.
2020-1-31
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

All I am doing is talking.  got the external mics on both, not the same mics, and I did my best with two camera companies  engineer settings to match up the best.  Just seems one will outproform the other  and as well the otehr do the same. can you please your other half,  GOOD LUCK!    as there is a lot of info in the vid:

Golden Hour
Sun, shade, scenery
run, shake,   vibration, movement
settings, EIS, cropping, sensor, resolution
Editing, bitrates

You name it a lot of info, so get the popcorn or get some Z..a

2020-1-31
Use props
M2Wair
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

anthonyb Posted at 2019-12-9 11:03

Ignore would be the best option.

But freedom of speach he's entitled to state his opinion, like the rest of us.
2020-2-1
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

2020-2-1
Use props
GeraldDyvv
New

Indonesia

tosha Posted at 1-30 20:59
whatever it is 1.07 is totally screw up. no longer buttery smooth like before. improve latency lag just a little but spoil rocksteady. the image no longer sharp and can't focus properly. it shut down by itself "low battery" warning while battery is at full charge. what a mess made by dji. VERY DISSAPOINTED. now move back to Go Pro with butter smooth image and sharpness.

Is there any new firmware update? Has dji fixed this issues? Or should i just buy the hero 8 black?
2020-3-3
Use props
GeraldDyvv
New

Indonesia

stephjant Posted at 2-7 12:31
I think RS was better in the previous firmware version.  I have a theory that in order to reduce lag DJI had to compromise RS because the processor only has so much capacity.  I dont give a damn about lag but I really do care about RS

Will dji fix this issues? Is there any new firmware update? Any idea how to stabilize the footage even more in post production? Should i buy osmo action or just go and get the hero 8 instead
2020-3-3
Use props
GeraldDyvv
New

Indonesia

I’m getting an action cam pretty soon, is the osmo action a great choice or should i just get the other action cam such as gp8?
2020-3-3
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

I am doing another video, it's my Opinion, if I simply forget about it all. I get a DJI you be very pleased. even if you get a Gopro.   more people cry at gopro then here. Lol
2020-3-3
Use props
4wd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 545817 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It seems fairly simple to just allow users to roll back to previous firmware if some aspect of an update is problematic.
With the DJI drones that's usually been possible, what harm can it do.
2020-3-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules