Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
National Recreation Areas Authorization
466 4 2019-12-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Texan-Trucker
lvl.1
United States

Regarding remote Nat'l Recreation Areas (unpopulated):

Is it possible to get authorization to fly as a recreational flyer?:

Is it possible to get authorization to fly as a part 107 flyer?

If so, how does one go about determining who to contact and how to contact [for a given area]?

If so, can such authorizations be requested via app or is this a written process?

Is the delays and waits for authorization simply unrealistic and too much hassle to even consider this?

As an aside. How do tour operators go about flying daily in places like the Grand Canyon NP?

This is an example (red circle) of where I would like to do some test flying.  This is between Langtry and Del Rio, TX.  It's a high bridge over a canyon but along all waterways is designated "National Recreation Area" and treated the same as a Nat'l Park.

Screen Shot 2019-12-09 at 10.45.41 AM.png

Thanks in advance.
Robert
2019-12-9
Use props
Texan-Trucker
lvl.1
United States

And FWIW, I found this.  But I guess I'm trying to get a handle on what one can expect when trying to get written authorization from a park superintendent.  How long of an operational window can you ask for?  Does it matter to them if it may be for commercial use or not?  And do they typically respond to email requests in a timely manner?

-------------
Launching, landing, or operating an unmanned aircraft from or on lands and waters administered by the National Park Service within the boundaries of Amistad NRA is prohibited except as approved in writing by the superintendent. The tenn "unmanned aircraft" means a device that is used or intended to be used for flight in the air without the possibility of direct human intervention from within or on the device, and the associated operational elements and components that are required for the pilot or system operator in command to operate or control the device (such as cameras, sensors, communication links). This term includes all types of devices that meet this definition (e.g., model airplanes, quadcopters, drones) that are used for any purpose, including for recreation or commerce.
This closure is implemented to protect park resources, reduce conflict between user groups, and to evaluate managerial responsibility in managing this emerging technolov and its uses. Ofparticular concern are impacts on threatened and endangered species within the park, such as the interior least tern.
2019-12-9
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. Thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum. I hope that our valued DJI co pilots can provide you the best response with regards to this inquiry. Just a friendly reminder to always follow the local rules and regulations for you to have a happy and safe flight always. Thank you.  
2019-12-9
Use props
Texan-Trucker
lvl.1
United States

Just for the sake of others who may read this.  This is the response I got back from my general inquiry ...
------
Good Morning,

I have attached an application to obtain a permit below. Please fill it out in its entirety and send it back to my attention. Upon receipt, the park will review your request. All permit requests for UAS usage must begin at the park and be sent through the regional office in order to gain approval.

I do want to advise you that a permit to operate a UAS within a unit of the National Park Service is a lengthy process and I am not aware of any requests being granted. Still, I can not say that your request will not be approved and thereby do not want to discourage you from making the request.

Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns at ....
------
I appreciate the honesty and I can understand this no-fly policy at National and State Parks, but desolate recreation areas such as this?
2019-12-10
Use props
Goldenseal
First Officer
Flight distance : 487034 ft
United States

The New River in West Virginia, is one of those areas. There are lots of videos on You Tube of the river canyon. I think people take off outside the zone and then fly over it.
2019-12-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules