Any lawyers in the group (FAA rules)?
1087 12 2019-12-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans8a8c6c0a
lvl.3
United States

Started wading thru the FAADroneZone information, went ahead and registered as a recreational UA flyer, even though not required with the Mini.

All seems reasonably clear, except for taking a test on aeronautical knowledge and safety.  This was specified in several locations as a requirement to fly recreationally, except in the following section (note this info was updated a few weeks ago):

Do I need permission from the FAA to fly a UAS or drone for recreation or as a hobby?              Published 12/21/2018 02:16 PM          |            Updated 11/25/2019 10:11 AM   
     Do I need permission from the FAA to fly a UAS or drone for recreation or as a hobby?

There are two ways for recreational or hobby UAS or drone fliers to operate in the National Airspace System in accordance with the law and/or FAA regulations

Option #1. Fly in accordance with the limited statutory exception for recreation. Under this rule, operators must:

• Register your drone or UAS with the FAA
    • Fly for hobby or recreational purposes only
    • Follow a community-based set of safety guidelines
    • Fly your drone within visual line-of-sight
    • Give way to manned aircraft
    • Obtain an airspace authorization to operate in controlled airspace.
    • Fly a drone or UAS that weigh no more than 55 lbs. unless certified by a community-based organization
Option #2. Fly under the FAA's Small UAS Rule (14 CFR part 107). Under this rule, operators must:

My interpretation is per Option #1 I don't need to pass the aforementioned test.  Any wisdom to be added from the group?  Sorry for the junk formatting, the cut and paste was not clean.

Richard Southworth

2019-12-10
Use props
Gimpy
lvl.4
United States

You're correct that there currently is no test you must take to fly recreationally. That's going to change in the near future, but as of today you can fly for fun without taking a test.
2019-12-10
Use props
fans8a8c6c0a
lvl.3
United States

Gimpy Posted at 12-10 11:35
You're correct that there currently is no test you must take to fly recreationally. That's going to change in the near future, but as of today you can fly for fun without taking a test.

Any more details?  From my FAA readings the test requirement came from a Congress bill that was two years old, and the apparent deletion of the test requirement was specified a few weeks ago.  So what specifically is coming down the pike?

Richard Southworth
2019-12-10
Use props
Joemar7
lvl.4
  • >>>
American Samoa

I'm not an attorney, but the test is coming:

https://www.suasnews.com/2019/12 ... l-drone-flyer-test/

https://www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=94805

2019-12-10
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. Thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum. I hope that our valued DJI co pilots who are familiar with regards to this matter can provide you the best response and information. Thank you for your valued support.
2019-12-10
Use props
fans8a8c6c0a
lvl.3
United States

Ok, I think I understand.  The bill I referred to as two years old is actually the new law.  It appears the FAA will draft an additional test, appropriate for the recreational flyer.  The existing test appears to be overkill, as well as expensive.  No timeline, but more FAA info here:

https://www.faa.gov/uas/recreational_fliers/

Richard Southworth
2019-12-10
Use props
fans8a8c6c0a
lvl.3
United States

And even more info here, under section 7 of Authorization...:

https://www.federalregister.gov/ ... f-unmanned-aircraft

The key point here is the online requirement for testing.

Richard Southworth
2019-12-10
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

i don't think i've made it a secret that i am totally against this test.  for too many reasons to name them all here and for other reasons probably shouldn't post aloud here.

so when the test is announced, we're all grounded until we pass the test?
2019-12-10
Use props
JohnK48
lvl.4
Flight distance : 311020 ft
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 12-10 11:52
Hi. Thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum. I hope that our valued DJI co pilots who are familiar with regards to this matter can provide you the best response and information. Thank you for your valued support.

I am a FAA certificated private pilot with an instrument rating. This does not grant me any special UAV flying privileges (well, maybe some), but the main thing is that the same rules that govern the use of airspace apply to UAV operators.  Obviously however the legal administrators in government can change the rules from time to time.  It does tend to take them a lot of time.  But the wheels of progress are definitely moving. There is now in place a software system for recreational UAV pilots to seek and gain permission to fly via online apps using third part contractors.  This is the equivalent of a private pilot filing a flight plan (also not mandatory in most cases). The part 107 certification is for "commercial" drone operations and the test for this is very similar to the written test for private pilots.
2019-12-10
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

time to look at this for what it really is and evolve.

sure you are a pilot flying an aircraft but there are some differences that are relevant.  did we forget about 249g?

that's fine; we can take a hard line today or we can wait until tomorrow when high tech companies like google and amazon re-write the rules for us.  my guess is we'll be choosing the latter route; fine by me.
2019-12-10
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

The Saint Posted at 12-10 19:42
time to look at this for what it really is and evolve.

sure you are a pilot flying an aircraft but there are some differences that are relevant.  did we forget about 249g?

Think there are few other companies re-writing rules, or at least hoping to influence re-writing of rules for their own gains.  Information about individuals has become valuable.  It pays to collect information and sell it or use it.
2019-12-10
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans8a8c6c0a Posted at 12-10 12:12
And even more info here, under section 7 of Authorization...:

https://www.federalregister.gov/ ... f-unmanned-aircraft

Aloha Richard,

According to the FAA rules, the regulations cut-off is at 249 grams as pointed out by the Saint.  That means as you noted, you did not have to register your Mini.  The size of your Mini may also not require you to follow any other rules.  However, it would be less than intelligent to do so.  

That being said, the rules will very likely be changed in the future to include the smaller drones in the next evaluation cycle.  That evaluation cycle may also determine that radio transmissions in any size drone require an identifier as is now under consideration for drones over 249 grams.  So it is a good idea to do as you have started to do and learn the rules and follow them.  It will be good training for later compliance.

Any irresponsible drone operator will only make it worse for other operators.  Follow the rules and make the skies safer.

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-12-11
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

The Saint Posted at 12-10 18:21
i don't think i've made it a secret that i am totally against this test.  for too many reasons to name them all here and for other reasons probably shouldn't post aloud here.

so when the test is announced, we're all grounded until we pass the test?

There may be some type of grandfather clause when rules go into affect but I doubt it, if that’s the case then I’ll just always fly in airplane mode, I do anyway with the exception of the mini...
2019-12-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules