Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Drone Experience Poll
123Next >
5961 85 2019-12-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
swiftwindwalker
lvl.3
Flight distance : 177697 ft
United Kingdom

Just thought it would be nice to know for how many Mavic mini is their first drone and what were their reasons to buy the mavic mini, is it because its affordable, or was <250g a big factor in deciding, or 2.7k with 3 axis gimbal the selling point. If you already owned a mavic mini, did you plan to replace your existing drone (if yes, mention the one you own currently)  or did you plan to use it along with other drones (if yes, mention the drones you currently own) and let us know your reason for buying the mavic mini.
Single SelectVote, Total 292 people participate in voting
Your user group with no voting privileges
2019-12-11
Use props
swiftwindwalker
lvl.3
United Kingdom

This is my first drone and my main reason for purchase was < 250g and a 2.7k with 3 axis gimbal.
2019-12-11
Use props
Ice_2k
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

First drone, main reason was price. I've been looking at drones for some time now but couldn't bring myself to spend 1.5k on something I wasn't sure I'd still be using 3 months later. I've been known for making impulse purchases and then realizing I used them twice a year If I end up liking the hobby, I'll surely upgrade to a Mavic (3?) Pro.
2019-12-11
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Already owned Skydio but wanted something a bit more portable for trips.  MM fit the bill for portability.
2019-12-11
Use props
JodyB
lvl.4
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

I bought the mavic mini because I've owned several other drones, but not a DJI drone. I've always heard the name DJI so much but always felt they were out of my reach with the pricing (mavic series).  Then along cam the mavic mini. While I still feel the price is a little high for my budget, I thought why not give it a try. The price and size is what made me jump on it. I don't regret it either. Maybe down the road, I may upgrade to a bigger mavic with more bells and whistles, but that all depends on budget and what direction the laws take in the future.
2019-12-11
Use props
Vehok
lvl.1
Flight distance : 79413 ft
Portugal

my first drone I opted for the excellent cost and drone
2019-12-11
Use props
fansbd5c48d6
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1481995 ft
United States

My first Drone.  I have bee casually looking for a year and the Mini is the first drone I felt could deliver nice 1080 video at a price point that was acceptable to my budget.
2019-12-11
Use props
The Watchman News
lvl.3
Flight distance : 63970 ft
United States

The Mavic Mini is my second drone. Ok technically my third. My first drone was sent to me by a viewer of our news show. It was a cheap Syma. I lost it on the second flight. I decided I wanted to test out the return to home feature so I hit the button without realizing that return to home apparently meant China because it lifted up high and took off the opposite direction never to be seen again.

My second drone (that I still have) is a Potensic D58. It is what it is. Not very capable. The FPV range is extremely sad. 100 feet or so is all I get. The reason for me owning a drone is security. I am referred to as one of those crazy "preppers". Drones make great tools for perimeter security but 100ft just doesn't cut it.

So then a few weeks or so ago I heard about the Mavic Mini just releasing. I saw the advertised range and although I normally do not have that much extra money laying around I fell in love with what I saw on youtube. Then low and behold our great creator provided me with our biggest vinyl decal order to date (aside from doing news we have a small merchandise business). I promptly ordered the Mavic Mini and I absolutely love it. Perfect solution for my needs.
2019-12-11
Use props
Part107
Second Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

Mini is my 4th drone and i want it because of size/weight to play with and not have to register it.
2019-12-11
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. Thank you for creating this poll. I hope that you will get the best information and the best insights from our valued DJI co pilots who purchased the DJI Mavic Mini. Thank you and fly safe.
2019-12-11
Use props
Maxi3D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

Part of my DJI collection and hopefully sometime this century add a Skydio 2 to the shelf when it arrives.  
2019-12-11
Use props
killertek78
lvl.4
Flight distance : 168369 ft
Canada

Option 1, first real drone, mostly based on price to performance.
2019-12-11
Use props
MatthewW28
lvl.3
Flight distance : 11460925 ft
United States

I had a drone from Traxxas (known for their r/c trucks, rock crawlers, sports cars, etc.) which was more of a stunt drone that I had a small camera with. I decided to go with the Mavic Mini because of how inexpensive it is and also it won't be disturbing to my neighbors if I decide to fly it locally since I live a bit away from New York City to where I could zoom into NYC and you could identify the major buildings and bridges through the 12 megapixel camera with surprising quality.
2019-12-11
Use props
Elias22
lvl.3
Flight distance : 105180 ft
Finland

2nd drone. 1st one was a 35€ toy. Bought it because I knew DJI is considered to be good quality and it was affordable and good value.
2019-12-12
Use props
Crummett
lvl.3
Flight distance : 36929 ft
United Kingdom

First drone for me.  Wanted one for years after seeing my cousins DJI higher end model but cost vs how much i'd use it etc meant i couldn't justify it.  As soon as a friend pointed out the Mavic Mini was arriving i was set!  Only disappointment is the english weather
2019-12-12
Use props
MiniWinter
lvl.2
Flight distance : 306132 ft
United Kingdom

My Mavic Mini is my first drone.  I've spent probably too much time borrowing someone else's Spark so it's time to have one of my own.  I toyed with the idea of a Mavic Air for a while, but decided a more beginner focussed drone was probably the best idea and the Mavic Mini ticks all the boxes bar active-track which isn't a deal-breaker.
2019-12-12
Use props
stubbietubbie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 119288 ft
Australia

Been considering a drone for about a year, and was waiting for the Mavic Air Combo to go on sale for a reasonable price. Then the Mini was announced and the combination of things like sub 250g weight and 30 min flight time at nearly half the price of an Air that gets like 21 min and needs registration seemed too good to pass up. The fact that Australia got the FCC model should theoretically mean it flies further than the CE spec Air too (waiting for the late December upate so I can unlock the authorisation zone near the family farm to properly test this). The nearly AU$800 I paid for the Mini Combo (including SD card and Care Refresh) is still a substantial bit of money to spend on a first drone, but I figure if I fall out of love with flying a drone at least it's a smaller loss than if I bought an Air.
2019-12-12
Use props
fans2f41b90e
lvl.3
United Kingdom

It's fascinating to know that Mini has won over many first time flyers and also those who own drones already.
If I look at everyone's responses, there is a pattern

1. Inexpensive compared to other drones offering similar features ( It's still not cheap)
2. Not a substantial loss if you fall out of love with drones or bought the drone due to impulse purchase. True for someone who is buying a drone for the first time.
3.  <250g (being portable) with no registration requirement in many countries.
4. Approx 25mins flight time with a good enough range.
5. Good quality video/photo with 3 axis gimbal.
6. DJI brand

I'm hoping with this poll, DJI marketing and technical design team can focus on this drone more i.e. improving it further by not only fixing outstanding bugs but also adding features that is not restricted by the drone hardware.
As a customer I wish they would have allowed dual compatibility with DJI Go 4 app along with DJI Fly. This would give customers an option to opt for either of the app based on their experience and needs.

I believe DJI missed on the FPV bus with this drone, this could have been an awesome drone with the price range and weight had they integrated it with DJI Googles.
I get from DJI point of view that they want their higher end models to sell as well, but then with this price range they could have sold more accessories and more drones than before.

Let me know your thoughts.
2019-12-12
Use props
Mountaindrone-Dronefocus
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26618251 ft
  • >>>
France

I have M2P and M2Z
and now the mini

they are different, not for the same job
2019-12-12
Use props
ernie_e
lvl.4
Flight distance : 299380 ft
United States

Already owned a Mavic Pro. The Mini was mostly an impulse purchase.
2019-12-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Own
P4 pro
Mavic pro
Mavic Zoom
Mavic pro2
Mavic Air
Spark
And a very old P4
Got the Mavic mini to make up the set .
2019-12-14
Use props
JodyB
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Wow man, now I know who to ask for Christmas presents!! Just kidding. Owning all those must mean you’ve got some serious flight experience!! Much respect!!
2019-12-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

JodyB Posted at 12-14 18:25
Wow man, now I know who to ask for Christmas presents!! Just kidding. Owning all those must mean you’ve got some serious flight experience!! Much respect!!

You can check what craft people have by clicking on small arrow under their Avatar .

2019-12-14
Use props
JodyB
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 12-14 18:36
You can check what craft people have by clicking on small arrow under their Avatar .

[view_image]

Yeah, I figured that out, lol
2019-12-14
Use props
Glenn Goodlett
lvl.4
Flight distance : 27978153 ft
  • >>>
United States

Lots of drones, lots of flights.
2019-12-14
Use props
Bozerker
lvl.2
Flight distance : 85755 ft
Canada

4. Bought Mavic Mini for my wife because it's ridiculous to expect to teach her to pass the Canadian drone license exam with all the other things we want to do in life. Thanks, Marc.
2019-12-14
Use props
InspektorGadjet
lvl.4
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

The Mavic Mini is my first drone.
I've been wanting a Mavic for ages then the 2 came out, I proposed in a audio visual company I own with 2 friends that we should invest, but my associates/work mates disagree...
The drone, insurance and license almost 3K.

Every now and then I do research drones around 1000, and one day I saw in DJI page the countdown for the mini, subscribed and got notified the 30th of October.
It was an instant reaction, "THIS IS THE ONE FOR ME", mainly because the price... fly more combo and insurance for 539, still pricey for me but it allows to practice and learn  with something more reliable than a 100-200 toy, and most important a very decent camera to practice shots...

I plan to register eventually so weight is nit a concern but is super cool to be able to learn and test the technology without having to register, like some users say, you dont know how much use will get in a few months...
2019-12-15
Use props
djiuser_RZKOx68fX1iO
lvl.2

United States

I bought Mavic Mini as a seemingly reasonable place-holder, until my SKyDio would arrive. Portability was a major plus, along with decent camera. However, I am looking at a drone I can't fly. Since the DJI Fly app requires 64-bit capability, it will not work with my modern smartphone (which has 64-bit capability which my cell provider chooses not to implement).  Thus, I am faced with buying a new smart-phone or returning my Mavic Mini and going with another interim solution, like Parrot. I was so excited to fly this drone, but now am so disappointed.
2019-12-15
Use props
Just Bill
lvl.2
Flight distance : 9974 ft
United States

Ice_2k Posted at 12-11 05:27
First drone, main reason was price. I've been looking at drones for some time now but couldn't bring myself to spend 1.5k on something I wasn't sure I'd still be using 3 months later. I've been known for making impulse purchases and then realizing I used them twice a year  If I end up liking the hobby, I'll surely upgrade to a Mavic (3?) Pro.

I couldn't have written a response any better.  I'll just add, me too!
2019-12-15
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
First Officer
Flight distance : 3440476 ft
Spain

my 3rd Dji drone
2019-12-16
Use props
Shawn.Tom
lvl.1
Flight distance : 23570935 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

What I like for Mini is its portable and small size, as well as the lightweight and fihght time.
2019-12-16
Use props
fans44ad04d7
lvl.3
United Kingdom

It looks like Mavic mini has attracted a lot of new buyers like myself
2019-12-18
Use props
Frank V
lvl.2
Flight distance : 41004 ft
Netherlands

FLying different drones and planes. The mini is the first one with a decent cam and a flight time of 30mins and easy to take with you.
2019-12-18
Use props
djiuser_q1uHI6OP3pqW
lvl.4
Flight distance : 914012 ft
United Kingdom

First ever drone, reason was the price!!
2019-12-19
Use props
frafri
lvl.2
Flight distance : 489314 ft
United States

First time buyer. Whats that about the satellites?
2019-12-19
Use props
stubbietubbie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 119288 ft
Australia

"New drone, who dis?"
2019-12-21
Use props
Jake Deer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8220840 ft
  • >>>
United States

I purchased the mavic mini to go along with my Phantom 4 Advanced and my mavic 2 Pro.
2019-12-21
Use props
Ian in London
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Mini joins my Mavic 2 Pro, the Mavic Air, Zerotech Dobby, Snaptain SP500 GPS drone, & the tiny Snaptain Mini Drone....
I've sold my previous Phantom 3 Standard and my two separate Mavic Pros.....
What one shall I get next?  

Ian
2019-12-22
Use props
swiftwindwalker
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Ian in London Posted at 12-22 01:55
The Mini joins my Mavic 2 Pro, the Mavic Air, Zerotech Dobby, Snaptain SP500 GPS drone, & the tiny Snaptain Mini Drone....
I've sold my previous Phantom 3 Standard and my two separate Mavic Pros.....
What one shall I get next?  

That is some collection
2019-12-23
Use props
djiuser_v2FzTipWIpGX
lvl.1
United States

This my 2nd drone to operate, the Mavic Mini was great until this past weekend, the mini was losing power and nose dive every time I would try to travel forward in any mode and no wind, the battery power was 45% and I was watching it just dipping repeatedly , let go of the controls and she would climb back up to altitude, I would move it forward and she would dip again, then she wouldn't respond to my controls and I hit the RTH and she drifted west 1/4 mile away and crashed, she went down at 40% battery, no wind, and had the latest update and calibrated, the locate my drone beep is horrible, you have to be standing almost on top of it to hear it, I have no faith right now, I hope they address this soon, on the shelf now waiting
2019-12-23
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules