4K 30fps HDR sunny day
923 14 2019-12-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
anthonyb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 486381 ft
New Zealand

Another video.  I'm starting to like the OA again to be honest.  It was a really hot day and my iPhone 11 Pro Max overheated whereas the OA just carried on.  OK, it's a bit jerky because I'm using HDR and you cannot use Rocksteady but otherwise the colours and ISO/WB auto adjustments seem just fine to me.  I even like the sound.

2019-12-11
Use props
fanse17ede2c
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10299 ft
Australia

Nice video from the OA, and really good descriptive narration on the procedure for harvesting the honey, I like it!
2019-12-12
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Shouldn't you be wearing a protective suit?
2019-12-12
Use props
ff22
Second Officer
United States

Neat video.  Also from what I can see - neat piece of property.

One question - what is the KEY doing that breaks the honeycomb.  It seems to just be a rod that you twist - so what is happening inside that fractures and releases the honey (google might tell me but I want first hand info (g))

Thanks for sharing.
2019-12-12
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, we really appreciate you for sharing this awesome video that you had captured. Thank you for your continued support!
2019-12-12
Use props
anthonyb
lvl.4
New Zealand

ff22 Posted at 12-12 07:09
Neat video.  Also from what I can see - neat piece of property.

One question - what is the KEY doing that breaks the honeycomb.  It seems to just be a rod that you twist - so what is happening inside that fractures and releases the honey (google might tell me but I want first hand info (g))

The frames are an artificial honeycomb that are surrounded by a couple of wires.  When in the closed position there is still a 1mm gap which the bees fill in with wax and then load the chambers with nectar which becomes honey are evaporation.  The key when inserted all the way just lifts one half of each cell/chamber by about 2mm.  This breaks the wax seal and the honey flows out from each cell.

Very very clever.  Invented by an Australia father and son.  Was one of the biggest crowd sourcing projects of all time.
2019-12-12
Use props
anthonyb
lvl.4
New Zealand

DAFlys Posted at 12-12 01:56
Shouldn't you be wearing a protective suit?

I used to at the beginning but there's really only one time when you need a suit, and that's end of season when you do a manual harvest and prepare the hive for winter.  I work on the hive in shorts and t shirt most of the time.  Only been stung a couple fo times.  Bees are not normally angry.
2019-12-12
Use props
peiter
Second Officer
Denmark

Never seen honey harvested that way, guess we are old fashioned here in Denmark.
2019-12-12
Use props
ff22
Second Officer
United States

anthonyb Posted at 12-12 09:48
The frames are an artificial honeycomb that are surrounded by a couple of wires.  When in the closed position there is still a 1mm gap which the bees fill in with wax and then load the chambers with nectar which becomes honey are evaporation.  The key when inserted all the way just lifts one half of each cell/chamber by about 2mm.  This breaks the wax seal and the honey flows out from each cell.

Very very clever.  Invented by an Australia father and son.  Was one of the biggest crowd sourcing projects of all time.

Oh, darn, now you have me interested in bee keeping! (g)  I looked it up - fascinating.
2019-12-12
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

anthonyb Posted at 12-12 09:49
I used to at the beginning but there's really only one time when you need a suit, and that's end of season when you do a manual harvest and prepare the hive for winter.  I work on the hive in shorts and t shirt most of the time.  Only been stung a couple fo times.  Bees are not normally angry.

No suit or smoke. I’d say pretty brave but I’ve never seen a flow hive before either.
2019-12-12
Use props
anthonyb
lvl.4
New Zealand

DAFlys Posted at 12-12 11:45
No suit or smoke. I’d say pretty brave but I’ve never seen a flow hive before either.

Oh I use smoke when I'm opening the hive up.  The beauty of the flowhive is you don't need to open it at all and the bees are not disturbed.  You only need to open it when you're checking the hive health, putting in varroa treatments and preparing it for winter.
2019-12-12
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice footage. Are you using a mic with the OA?
2019-12-12
Use props
ff22
Second Officer
United States

anthonyb Posted at 12-12 17:36
Oh I use smoke when I'm opening the hive up.  The beauty of the flowhive is you don't need to open it at all and the bees are not disturbed.  You only need to open it when you're checking the hive health, putting in varroa treatments and preparing it for winter.

Do you have to clean out the hive occasionally?  The "plastic honeycomb" or other parts?  I guess we are off topic.  But it is fascinating.
2019-12-12
Use props
anthonyb
lvl.4
New Zealand

Woe Posted at 12-12 18:01
Nice footage. Are you using a mic with the OA?

Thanks.  Nope, that's the built in mic.
2019-12-12
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

anthonyb Posted at 12-12 19:47
Thanks.  Nope, that's the built in mic.

Nice
2019-12-12