Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Mini - Installing Tineer Aluminum Motor Covers!
3638 21 2019-12-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 93626696 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just came across this,  he even weights them too.

2019-12-12
Use props
JodyB
Captain
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm not too sure about these. They are being marketed as dust covers. Now I'm sure there maybe some that doesn't, but I keep mine in a case when it's not in use. I only take it out when I'm going to go flying and then only when I'm ready to start. Once I do, and I get through my checklist, the motors start up. In my mind, the motors are going to kick out any dust that maybe in there. Anything larger, I'd more than likely be able to see and pick out with my fingers or pair of plastic tweezers. Then I have to think about heat retention in the motors. I really do think that these will cause the motors to retain more heat than their supposed to and cause some life expectancy issues. All in all, I think the covers are a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist. They may not be, but my logic doesn't go along with that at this time personally.
2019-12-12
Use props
Dano99
lvl.1
Canada

Agreed, not needed. Definitely a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
2019-12-12
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JodyB Posted at 12-12 05:59
I'm not too sure about these. They are being marketed as dust covers. Now I'm sure there maybe some that doesn't, but I keep mine in a case when it's not in use. I only take it out when I'm going to go flying and then only when I'm ready to start. Once I do, and I get through my checklist, the motors start up. In my mind, the motors are going to kick out any dust that maybe in there. Anything larger, I'd more than likely be able to see and pick out with my fingers or pair of plastic tweezers. Then I have to think about heat retention in the motors. I really do think that these will cause the motors to retain more heat than their supposed to and cause some life expectancy issues. All in all, I think the covers are a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist. They may not be, but my logic doesn't go along with that at this time personally.

He got them because he flys from a beach and was concerned about sand,  for me in cases like that I would just hand launch instead.
2019-12-12
Use props
JodyB
Captain
  • >>>
United States

I guess it's a good thing I don't live near a beach then eh?? LOL I will eventually end up on a beach somewhere on vacation though. I guess for me, it'll be a time will tell kind of thing.

I did notice that when he installed them, he didn't replace the lock-tite treated screws. He re-used the same ones.
2019-12-12
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JodyB Posted at 12-12 06:14
I guess it's a good thing I don't live near a beach then eh?? LOL I will eventually end up on a beach somewhere on vacation though. I guess for me, it'll be a time will tell kind of thing.

I did notice that when he installed them, he didn't replace the lock-tite treated screws. He re-used the same ones.

He also didnt mention not to mix the blades up, as they have to be kept in the pair that came out of the mould together.
2019-12-12
Use props
Donsir_LTU
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1043940 ft
Lithuania

I'm almost always lift up (and landing) from my hands
2019-12-12
Use props
Cap0ne
lvl.4
Flight distance : 217077 ft
Romania

I'm 99% sure the heat would not be a problem. Mini's engines are small and do not generate a lot of heat. Also see other drones that are using a lot less exposed (and powerful) motors and have no problem.
But dust could be a problem for some. It depends how/where u use your drone.
If you want, think at pc fans - most of them operate at high temps (cpu coolers for ex). Almost always the dust will kill them waaay sooner than the heat ;)
Also remember those propellers will suck a lot of air. And this air will/could have particles in it in many situations ;)
2019-12-12
Use props
JodyB
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Cap0ne Posted at 12-12 06:32
I'm 99% sure the heat would not be a problem. Mini's engines are small and do not generate a lot of heat. Also see other drones that are using a lot less exposed (and powerful) motors and have no problem.
But dust could be a problem for some. It depends how/where u use your drone.
If you want, think at pc fans - most of them operate at high temps (cpu coolers for ex). Almost always the dust will kill them waaay sooner than the heat ;)

PC fans isn't a good comparison as they are constantly exposed. By their design, in most cases have fans that suck air in and across the high temp components and fans that help blow that air out of the case. They are designed that way. Unless of course, you are using water cooling. But that's an entirely different subject.

Any motor that is placed on a drone is designed that way for a reason. If it was meant to be more closed off, it would be. And yes, they do generate heat. All motors generate heat.

Like I said, in the end, for me at least, it's going to be a wait and see kinda thing to see the affect, if any, that they have on the motors.
2019-12-12
Use props
speed_freakz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 569852 ft
Thailand

One thing to mention ,Never use the same screws that you just pulled from the propellers. Most of the time they will work ok, but there are many cases where they don't. They have special plastic like glue, that is on them before the first time you use them, it melts in and makes everything tighter. When you use the old ones you are risking them unscrewing themselves
2019-12-12
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

speed_freakz Posted at 12-12 08:03
One thing to mention ,Never use the same screws that you just pulled from the propellers. Most of the time they will work ok, but there are many cases where they don't. They have special plastic like glue, that is on them before the first time you use them, it melts in and makes everything tighter. When you use the old ones you are risking them unscrewing themselves

You can replace the glue. It’s called thread lock. Many people make it but the well known brand is called loctite
2019-12-12
Use props
JodyB
Captain
  • >>>
United States

There are different types of loctite as well. In this case,  it's the blue loctite. For sure do not ever use the red loctite as that is meant for permanent installations.
2019-12-12
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JodyB Posted at 12-12 08:45
There are different types of loctite as well. In this case,  it's the blue loctite. For sure do not ever use the red loctite as that is meant for permanent installations.

Totally.  I used a particular red one that’s used for air tight connections and it’s very hard to remove.
2019-12-12
Use props
Visual Air
Captain
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Great idea however I would imagine the MM motor design would be to reduce heat build up and disperse the heat. Good luck.
2019-12-12
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Visual Air Posted at 12-12 11:06
Great idea however I would imagine the MM motor design would be to reduce heat build up and disperse the heat. Good luck.

I think your right.  Not needed in normal operation.
2019-12-12
Use props
ssylca44
Captain
Flight distance : 434721 ft
Canada

Dano99 Posted at 12-12 06:05
Agreed, not needed. Definitely a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

And add 4 g to the 249 g, therefore, defeating the <250 g weight regulation.
2019-12-12
Use props
deathsquad
First Officer
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

You would have to be crazy to add these and close off the air circulation to your drone motors. From the manual in the propeller section:

"DO NOT block any of the ventilation holes on the motors or the body of the aircraft."
2019-12-12
Use props
InspektorGadjet
Captain
Flight distance : 439915 ft
Spain

Yeah, if you live in Alaska, heat my not be a problem, but the ones living nearer the ecuator, in summer, this will build up unnecesary heat for sure, and heat doens't just mean shorting the life of the motor, but it will affect performance too. Maybe for very very specific missions, like a sandstorm or very windy beach like some mention... but those don't look like appealing flying scenarios to me.
2019-12-12
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

deathsquad Posted at 12-12 12:15
You would have to be crazy to add these and close off the air circulation to your drone motors. From the manual in the propeller section:

"DO NOT block any of the ventilation holes on the motors or the body of the aircraft."

Thats very true.
2019-12-13
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day DAFlys. Thank you for sharing this interesting video with us and thank you for your support.
2019-12-13
Use props
m80116
Captain
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

There is some good news for the motor cover. After being comforted with reassuring video on YT about covers not altering the motor temperature... now they've even made extra long ones and even a bezeled one.

A quick search on Ax https://www.aliexpress.com/whole ... ic+mini+motor+cover brought to my attention these:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000764447353.html Extra long ones, might be a good idea for those having the problem of props hitting the body
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000865122605.html Red ones with bezel... these are very sexy :
2020-5-15
Use props
3Recon
First Officer
Flight distance : 4175541 ft
United States

What I see and I sure others also do we're comparing peach's and pears. The OP was showing a snap fit and m80116 is showing a screw attached cover (imo a better casting pattern design) . The one's shown in post#22 will also assist those that have purchased higher flexing props IMO resulting in body contact.
2020-5-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules