Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Osmo Action & RODE VideoMic NTG - first preliminary test
3171 16 2019-12-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
David_Harry
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI Osmo Action & RODE VideoMic NTG - first preliminary test for DJI forum

Hi.

Here's my first preliminary test of the Osmo Action with RODE's latest microphone the VideoMic NTG.

Cheers,
Dave.

2019-12-12
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, David. Thanks for sharing this awesome video review that you had provided. Thank you for your continued support!
2019-12-12
Use props
djiuser_99jkEojbEiOS
lvl.3
Serbia

Thanks for the video it sounds good
2019-12-12
Use props
David_Harry
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI Gamora Posted at 12-12 12:07
Hi, David. Thanks for sharing this awesome video review that you had provided. Thank you for your continued support!

It's is my pleasure and you are very welcome.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-12-12
Use props
David_Harry
lvl.4
United Kingdom

djiuser_99jkEojbEiOS Posted at 12-12 12:59
Thanks for the video it sounds good

Hi.

You are very welcome. I'll post more examples soon of this mic with both the Action and the Pocket.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-12-12
Use props
Matman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 644669 ft
United States

Thanks David. Is there anyway you can simulate some wind noise maybe with a desk top fan? This way we can see if the reports of clipping are due to the microphone versus the adapter.

I believe the Osmo turns off wind noise reduction when using the Cynova adapter, which would also explain this..
2019-12-12
Use props
David_Harry
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Matman Posted at 12-12 13:49
Thanks David. Is there anyway you can simulate some wind noise maybe with a desk top fan? This way we can see if the reports of clipping are due to the microphone versus the adapter.

I believe the Osmo turns off wind noise reduction when using the Cynova adapter, which would also explain this..

Alright Matt.

I will be doing a full review of the setup soon, I'm just waiting for the deadcat for the NTG to try proper wind stuff.

I suspect that the issue you are talking about may well be a combination of things but highly likely to be exasperated by the dynamics processing between the Cynova and the Action.

In my tests I have full control of the level going into the Cynova and regardless of the level, low or high, the Cynova/Action will still use dynamic processing, most notably AGC (automatic gain control) which in combination with the limiting can cause low frequencies to sound quite hot.

The sound of the NTG in this test is very influenced by the Cynova/Action, it does sound different and better on the GoPro 8 with the GP mic interface.

Certain mics will actually sound better on the Cynova/Action compared to other mics, where on another camera the differences may not be as much. I also suspect that the impedance and sensitivity of any given microphone is going to effect the quality of the audio on the Cynova/Action compared to other cameras/systems.

In a nutshell. The Cynova/Action still needs a fair bit of work and I also suspect that there's manufacturing discrepancies to contend with as well with the Cynova. There's far too many reports of wide variations with the use of the Cynova.   

BTW. I've done that before and after firmware test, I'll post it sson.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-12-12
Use props
Matman
lvl.4
United States

David_Harry Posted at 12-12 14:54
Alright Matt.

I will be doing a full review of the setup soon, I'm just waiting for the deadcat for the NTG to try proper wind stuff.

Sounds good amigo! I don’t suppose you have an old school (one w/no gain/level adjustments) low tech Omni-directional laying around that you can throw into the mix. If so, I’d be curious to see if the default levels of a non-adjustable mic are clipping for you. I even put a dead cat on the Eutige ETM-001 and the audio was TERRIBLE/unusable (in the cab of my Raptor with only the windows down - so not even directly in wind)

I might have to break down and buy that Rode wireless go, which (much like your NTG) can be toned down. So for now I’m relegated to on board mic only, until I can get my greasy palms on a Rode wireless go.

2019-12-12
Use props
David_Harry
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Matman Posted at 12-12 16:23
Sounds good amigo! I don’t suppose you have an old school (one w/no gain/level adjustments) low tech Omni-directional laying around that you can throw into the mix. If so, I’d be curious to see if the default levels of a non-adjustable mic are clipping for you. I even put a dead cat on the Eutige ETM-001 and the audio was TERRIBLE/unusable (in the cab of my Raptor with only the windows down - so not even directly in wind)

I might have to break down and buy that Rode wireless go, which (much like your NTG) can be toned down. So for now I’m relegated to on board mic only, until I can get my greasy palms on a Rode wireless go.

Hi Matt.

I've just been sent three mics by Neewer and one by Comica for reviews. Although these are cardiods they are fixed gain with various sensitivities and impedances, I'll check these out.

I also build a few small mics and lavs which are omnis with a very sensitive and loud capsule, these will drive the input properly and may be a good gauge.

It's also worth bearing mind that while the omnis I have are more sensitive and louder than the cardioids, cardioids are naturally more sensitive to wind and plosives. It could be this particular characteristic of the cardioids that's part of the issue.

I'll try and get round to this stuff soon but I'm trying to catch up on a bunch of videos and plan for a bunch of product reviews. I can feel a big dump of videos coming on for TouTube soon to get me back to a clean slate for the new year

BTW. Here's that before and after video, I'll post this as a new thread on the forum soon, I'm just catching up with thumbnails and descriptions etc. before I put a bunch of them live. You may also notice that this sounds very impressive on the Cynova/Action after the cable pull, Matman Method and after the update. This particular mic sounds great on anything, it's a Sennheiser ME64 it's my main dialogue mic and the one that I use for all my indoor stuff when I'm at the table or reviewing etc. You get a name check

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-12-12
Use props
Matman
lvl.4
United States

Yep, nailed it! The MatMan method is now unnecessary!

Levels are now muuuuch better, thank goodness!

Now it’s On to the clipping issue, no hurry/stress as the onboard will do for moto vlogging (or windy conditions) for now.

But please give me an excuse to go RODE WIRELESS GO WILD and blow the budget for gain adjustment. Gahahaha!

Wishing you and yours a great holiday season!

2019-12-12
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for sharing. I been considering getting this mic, just couldn't justify the cost.
2019-12-12
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

Thank you, Dave :-)
2019-12-13
Use props
David_Harry
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Oh-no Posted at 12-13 00:08
Thank you, Dave :-)

You are absolutely welcome and it's good to hear from you

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-12-13
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

David_Harry Posted at 12-12 13:25
It's is my pleasure and you are very welcome.

Cheers,

Looking forward to seeing your future videos Dave! Cheers.
2019-12-13
Use props
dmd_btr
lvl.1
United States

David, have you tried using the microphone USB-C to USB-C, eliminating the adapter?
2020-5-23
Use props
dmd_btr
lvl.1
United States

Accidently posted twice and cannot figure out how to delete the post. This forum software is rubbish.
2020-5-23
Use props
David_Harry
lvl.4
United Kingdom

dmd_btr Posted at 5-23 01:55
David, have you tried using the microphone USB-C to USB-C, eliminating the adapter?

Hi.

I’ve tried, it does not work. For this to work the Action’s USB-C interface and processor/software would have to be Class Compliant.

If DJI were to do a firmware upgrade and make the Action or even the Pocket’s USB system Class Compliant, then you could also plug in many other devices such as USB audio interfaces. This would then open up the possibilities of using many different microphones and a large number of interfaces.

It’s just a real shame that companies such as DJI and GoPro, don’t give the users of their cameras the freedom and flexibility to choose their own interfaces. Instead, we are always tied into a closed loop where we have very little choice but to use the peripherals that are supplied by the manufacturer. In the case of DJI this is especially frustrating as their offering for the interface for the Action is especially poor quality.

Let’s hope that when we get to the next iterations of the Action and the Pocket that we are given the choice to use a standard that the whole world of computing has adopted and that we are not once again tied into high priced, inferior and massively limited interface options.

Cheers,
Dave.
2020-6-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules