VLOS with strobes
1623 8 2019-12-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
NightThunder
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106020 ft
United States

Just wondering as I have not seen this covered. If you can see your drone's strobes but have flown it beyond wnere you can see the actual body of it, is that considered VLOS or is it BVLOS? I have CREE strobes mounted on my M2P that I can see on my drone at a greater distance than the actual body of the M2P even in daylight and much more at dusk.
2019-12-13
Use props
Bob-Mavic Pro Platinum
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

I use the same type of strobes, they work well.  I would venture a guess that if the rule says the aircraft must be in sight, the ones supporting the rule would say that the light is not the actual craft but, something attached to the craft.  I guess it comes down to how fine do you want to split the hair, and if it is defining the rule, or circumventing the rule???
2019-12-13
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day NightThunder. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry. I hope that you will get the best recommendation from our valued DJI co pilots who uses the said strobe light from there flight experience. I would highly recommend to follow the rules and regulations in flight your DJI Drones to avoid an untoward incidents. Thank you and have a safe flight always.  
2019-12-14
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't think the "Exception for Limited Recreational Operations of Unmanned Aircraft" specifies the details in the same way that is codified in Part 107.

In the Exception for Rec, it just says:
"The aircraft is flown within the visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft or a visual observer co-located and in direct communication with the operator."
- source: https://www.federalregister.gov/d/2019-10169/p-31

However, in part 107, it specifically says you must be able to "Determine the unmanned aircraft's attitude, altitude, and direction of flight"
- source 14 CFR § 107.31(a)(2):  https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/107.31

I usually don't use strobes during the day, but when I fly at night (107.29 waiver), I use multiple strobes to be able to assist in being able to meet those demands.  I use a clear strobe on top and bottom and a red on the left and a green on the right.

2019-12-14
Use props
Bob-Mavic Pro Platinum
Second Officer
United States

KlooGee, Thanks for that reply, I am under the Recreational flyer, and as I remember, you have jogged the ol' gray matter, you're spot on.  Thank you for that.
2019-12-14
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bob-Mavic Pro Platinum Posted at 12-13 19:51
I use the same type of strobes, they work well.  I would venture a guess that if the rule says the aircraft must be in sight, the ones supporting the rule would say that the light is not the actual craft but, something attached to the craft.  I guess it comes down to how fine do you want to split the hair, and if it is defining the rule, or circumventing the rule???

which way would you like to have it?

1.the strobes are part of the aircraft and when you can't actually see the drone body itself, it's ok if you can see the strobe lights.  since the strobes are part of the aircraft, include them in the weight of the aircraft when you consider the 250g rule.

2.the strobes are not part of the aircraft.  you must be able to see the drone body and the strobes or the light from the strobes (as you will) do not count for vlos.  in addition, since the strobes are not part of the aircraft, feel free to omit them from the weight of the drone when you consider the 250g rule.

i have a feeling i know what the drone snobs will say.  
2019-12-14
Use props
Bob-Mavic Pro Platinum
Second Officer
United States

The Saint , for me I go with your number one, and that's how I figure it.  Those CREE strobe truly do work great, the ones I use each has four lights, and the battery lasts very near two hours.
2019-12-14
Use props
NightThunder
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106020 ft
United States

Bob-Mavic Pro Platinum Posted at 12-14 13:31
The Saint , for me I go with your number one, and that's how I figure it.  Those CREE strobe truly do work great, the ones I use each has four lights, and the battery lasts very near two hours.

I too favor number 1. KlooGee also points out that you can achieve directional awareness by using red and green strobes (with a white strobe to further aid in distance and altitude?). I have all three types of strobes. My missions will be primarily to fly to landscape locations. The drone can help me see/film things vicariously. I want to do this safely and also within the FAA rules and during daylight and twilight hours.

2019-12-14
Use props
Bob-Mavic Pro Platinum
Second Officer
United States

NightThunder Posted at 12-14 14:15
I too favor number 1.  KlooGee also points out that you can achieve directional awareness by using red and green strobes (with a white strobe to further aid in distance and altitude?). I have all three types of strobes. My missions will be primarily to fly to landscape locations. The drone can help me see/film things vicariously. I want to do this safely and also within the FAA rules and during daylight and twilight hours.

On my MPP I have Cree Strobes (four on each small IC board) that are red on the left forward arm and on the right is the same but green, on top is same but white, and on the belly is same as top.  They do add weight, but the flying time has not been cut down noticeably to me.  I got them from Firehouse Technologies here in the states.
2019-12-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules