No power in wind
1201 16 2019-12-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
basejumper
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I previously have managed to fly my drone around Beer Head (low cliff in Devon) in 25+ mph wind with 35mph gusts, however today it struggled to get any forward penetration in 20mph wind.

Does anyone know why this may be? I almost lost my drone, it was being pushed backwards away from me at 150ft. Luckily I got it down to a height where the wind was less (around 80ft) and I was able to make a small amount of forward speed to get it back to me.

I fear this firmware update is responsible, but obviously can't be sure. Maybe the speed has been governed?

Can anyone shed some light? My motor seem to be working fine, I really dont think there is any hardware fault with the drone.

Thanks

2019-12-15
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hiya

Better upload your flightlog here, https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Without it its hard to give any comment on your tricky flight. Good to have it recoverd!

cheers
JJB
2019-12-15
Use props
basejumper
lvl.2

United Kingdom

JJB* Posted at 12-15 08:18
Hiya

Better upload your flightlog here, https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Thank you, thats good to know, I didnt know I had all this information available.

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/31YB0U6WYDS0YKRNKAFF

It says altitude too large, but I was only 33m high, as thats the height of the abandoned gas tower I was filming.
2019-12-15
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thank you for reaching out and we do apologize for the inconvenience. This problem might be connected to the altitude of the drone. The drone can't sustain it's position since the specific height reached its maximum wind resistance. I will highly recommend you to calibrate your IMU and try to fly in a different location with a small amount of wind or windless area to see if the problem persists. You may also check the image specification below for the DJI Mavic Air. Thank you for your understanding and support!

2019-12-15
Use props
Ridg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 232306 ft
United Kingdom

Suggests that the wind speed was much faster at altitude than you though / ground level.  There's a couple of apps that will give you a rough idea of the speed at altitude but given there's no accurate air speed reporting from the drone you might as well just stick your finger in the air
2019-12-15
Use props
basejumper
lvl.2

United Kingdom

DJI Gamora Posted at 12-15 09:46
Hi, thank you for reaching out and we do apologize for the inconvenience. This problem might be connected to the altitude of the drone. The drone can't sustain it's position since the specific height reached its maximum wind resistance. I will highly recommend you to calibrate your IMU and try to fly in a different location with a small amount of wind or windless area to see if the problem persists. You may also check the image specification below for the DJI Mavic Air. Thank you for your understanding and support!

[view_image]

Ok thanks for that. I have now calibrated the IMU.
Still doesn't explain why I have never had the problem before in high winds...but thanks
2019-12-15
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hiya,

its just 1 letter.....

warning: Attitude is too large.. Backwardobstacle sensing is unavailable.

Due to the attitude of the MA the sensor is out of normal vieuw of field....looking at the sky so cannot detect object in the horizontal path of the MA.

Nothing to worried about, will see about that fwd speed and wind.
Max tilt angle in P mode is 15 degrees, wich it did flying outbound. Max fwd stick but drifting backwards.
See my polar chart.

At lower height your MA could fight the wind better.

cheers
JJB

analysis1.png
analysis2.png
2019-12-15
Use props
basejumper
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Here is the flight I mentioned about at Beer Head in serious winds, you can see on the log that it reports:

High wind velocity. Fly with caution and land in a safe place ASAP.

I don't really know what I'm looking for, but is there anything in this flight record that would help identify why it allowed me to fly in such high winds and still remain stable?

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/CM7P9FFB7Y0F85Z2TUOT/

Thanks again guys
2019-12-15
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

basejumper Posted at 12-15 11:31
Here is the flight I mentioned about at Beer Head in serious winds, you can see on the log that it reports:

Nice windy flight!  In Sport mode MA can handle wind better than in P-GPS mode.

2019-12-15
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

basejumper Posted at 12-15 10:30
Ok thanks for that. I have now calibrated the IMU.
Still doesn't explain why I have never had the problem before in high winds...but thanks

You're welcome!
2019-12-15
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

i feel like as the mavic ages, it's less capable in the wind.  only lately have i had trouble in slightly windy conditions where i used to have no problems in the past.  obviously the pilot is not the best judge of actual conditions (up there) but i feel like the drone is deteriorating and successive flights i find myself engaged in more wind battles.  i have a ton of batteries and every flight is a small war to establish how to best fly based on whether i want to play games with struggling against the wind.  maybe it's the time of the season but it's taking the fun out of recreational flying; the wind sparing is getting old and i'm finding i'd just rather struggle to bring it home and pack up and leave and live to fight another day.  not everyone loses their drone but many of us are fighting the good fight.
eta:  sorry i thought i was in the mini forum....
2019-12-15
Use props
cutis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1695351 ft
United States

YesMavicAirGetsCaughtUnAnticipatedInExtreme
ButThemeWasPredictivelyExtremedExposeByTalent(Prize)
MentionFirmwareNewCitedForCausingInabilityNow
ElexFatigueIsNotStepJumpAsFirmwareSuspicion
ThreadRemainsUnCuredThenTheLossOfAbilityOnceHad
2019-12-15
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

basejumper Posted at 12-15 11:31
Here is the flight I mentioned about at Beer Head in serious winds, you can see on the log that it reports:

As JJB* mentions, in this flight, you were in Sports mode pretty much the whole time.  This gives the drone the ability to tilt further and gain additional speed that isn't available in other modes so that it is able to fight against stronger winds.  

From what I can see, the wind today may have been higher than it was in the flight from earlier this year.  So higher wind today and only in P mode is going to have a harder time than slightly slower wind in sports mode.
2019-12-15
Use props
Neo Supreme
Second Officer
Flight distance : 76329 ft
United States

Is cutis a copier and paster or some AI chat bot gone awry?
2019-12-16
Use props
basejumper
lvl.2

United Kingdom

KlooGee Posted at 12-15 20:33
As JJB* mentions, in this flight, you were in Sports mode pretty much the whole time.  This gives the drone the ability to tilt further and gain additional speed that isn't available in other modes so that it is able to fight against stronger winds.  

From what I can see, the wind today may have been higher than it was in the flight from earlier this year.  So higher wind today and only in P mode is going to have a harder time than slightly slower wind in sports mode.

Thanks for that. I was circling Antennas so thought it would be safer to be in P.
2019-12-29
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

basejumper Posted at 12-29 07:14
Thanks for that. I was circling Antennas so thought it would be safer to be in P.

The numbers might be a clue.
Max Speed (near sea level, no wind)        68.4 kph (S - mode
                                                                       28.8 kph (P - mode)
2019-12-29
Use props
basejumper
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 12-29 07:19
The numbers might be a clue.
Max Speed (near sea level, no wind)        68.4 kph (S - mode
                                                                       28.8 kph (P - mode)

Thanks.

I guess there is a lot to learn with these. I'm excited to keep finding more and more stuff out.
2019-12-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules