VIdeo gets erased if taking photo?
1842 22 2019-12-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans1646dc8a
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3179 ft
United States

Beware of one quirk:  if you are recording a video and press the "take  photo" button, the video recording not only stops but also all that was  recorded before fails to be saved!  Is there a solution to this?  DJI: please fix this!  (ideally: continue video, ok: stop video but keep it recorded!)

2019-12-16
Use props
deathsquad
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Same thing happens if you are recording and turn the drone off. The video needs to write to the card so you would need to stop the video first then take a photo.
2019-12-16
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi, I am sorry for the trouble this has caused. Rest assured that I will forward this to our designated DJI department for further attention. Thank you.
2019-12-16
Use props
Drone Retard
lvl.4
Flight distance : 380344 ft
Romania

Looks like DJI didn't think or tested the Mavic Mini. I can't fly my drone unless I go 20 miles because I can't unlock the no fly zone, I've lost some good footage because I pressed the photo button while recording. If those things don't get sorted this will be the first and the last dji product for me.
2019-12-16
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

Ha, that explains it! I had a video that I was sure I took and was nowhere to be found on my SD.
2019-12-16
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Romania

deathsquad Posted at 12-16 12:23
Same thing happens if you are recording and turn the drone off. The video needs to write to the card so you would need to stop the video first then take a photo.

It seems like this only happens *sometimes*. It did indeed happen to me but I went for a flight yesterday and again I forgot to stop video before turning off the drone and this time it recorded everything, landing, me picking it up, turning it upside down and turning it off. Seems weird though to not have a "stop recording" action performed before shutdown.
2019-12-16
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Romania

Drone Retard Posted at 12-16 12:30
Looks like DJI didn't think or tested the Mavic Mini. I can't fly my drone unless I go 20 miles because I can't unlock the no fly zone, I've lost some good footage because I pressed the photo button while recording. If those things don't get sorted this will be the first and the last dji product for me.

Relax, new software *always* has bugs, it's part of the process. They'll get fixed
2019-12-16
Use props
the1shark
lvl.3
Flight distance : 43156 ft
Israel

Just to make sure, while in video mode and video is recorded , pressing the right button in the remote will take a still picture but not only stop the recording it will erase it ? Doesn't make any sense, the video is on the card .. yes, the file is open but closing it and then take the picture seems obvious..
2019-12-16
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

the1shark Posted at 12-16 12:51
Just to make sure, while in video mode and video is recorded , pressing the right button in the remote will take a still picture but not only stop the recording it will erase it ? Doesn't make any sense, the video is on the card .. yes, the file is open but closing it and then take the picture seems obvious..

I don't know if the Mavic is different in this respect to the Phantom (and other cameras), but I doubt it. If you take a still photo while shooting video, the still photo will only be saved in the resolution you have selected for video, not the full high quality still photo resolution. And the process can fail if the SD card is marginal on speed as well, to do this trick you need a fast card.
2019-12-16
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think when I'm in video mode and press the right button (take pic), the video record stops (is written to the card completely) and the photo mode is enabled, then I press right button again and take a picture. So I believe its not possible to take a picture while video is recording. Either video or photo, not both at the same time. And the pic has the resolution you have set before, not the video resolution.
2019-12-16
Use props
fans1646dc8a
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3179 ft
United States

Folks, looking at the SD card:  there is NO VIDEO at all if you did not "properly stop" the video before either taking a photo or turning off the drone.  This is strange, as a typical video takes hundreds of MB so it is certainly not being cached in RAM.  Seems like a bug in the software not closing the files and leaving possibly a corrupt file system?
2019-12-16
Use props
deathsquad
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The drone has to end writing the video for it to become available. A lot of drones have issues with this sort of thing. The Tello does the same thing. If you had a crash that caused a battery eject or killed the drone the video didn't copy to the device.
2019-12-16
Use props
kiminx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 149032 ft
Indonesia

happen to me too. i just turn OFF MM and forget to stop recording. then no file at all at SD card.
2019-12-16
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ice_2k Posted at 12-16 12:45
Relax, new software *always* has bugs, it's part of the process. They'll get fixed

They may indeed get this fixed but I have not been able to fly my MM for almost 2 months because of waiting and I am afraid the Joy of owning the new drone has gone..... It is now in the back of the cupboard where it will most likely stay...… Once again DJI lets its customers down
2019-12-16
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Drone Retard Posted at 12-16 12:30

Unlock is coming at the end of the month.
2019-12-17
Use props
emaneg
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1591 ft
Italy

DAFlys Posted at 12-17 02:02
Unlock is coming at the end of the month.

Hopefully....
2019-12-17
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Have faith,  the real problem is just because you can unlock some NFZ's doesn't mean that you should.
2019-12-17
Use props
emaneg
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1591 ft
Italy

I know. Personally I do not need unblocking NFZ (even if I'm in an 'attention zone') but I understand that, besides airports, there are numberous NFZ that make no sense. In those cases it could be helpul to be able to lift restrictions under personal responsability.
2019-12-17
Use props
the1shark
lvl.3
Flight distance : 43156 ft
Israel

fans1646dc8a Posted at 12-16 13:55
Folks, looking at the SD card:  there is NO VIDEO at all if you did not "properly stop" the video before either taking a photo or turning off the drone.  This is strange, as a typical video takes hundreds of MB so it is certainly not being cached in RAM.  Seems like a bug in the software not closing the files and leaving possibly a corrupt file system?

What do you mean by "properly stop", as Jonny07 wrote, pressing the "take picture" right button on the remote,  will stop the video and will close the file. There are 2 ways to stop the video. The first one is from the app , the second one is from the remote right button.
2019-12-17
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

I was talking to a friend of mine who owns a Spark. He said his is the same way. If he is shooting video and then wants to take a picture, he has to stop recording video before taking the picture. I don't know anyone that owns any other DJI drones to find out if they are the same way or not.
2019-12-17
Use props
Rogerq
lvl.2
Flight distance : 59416 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

kiminx Posted at 12-16 19:39
happen to me too. i just turn OFF MM and forget to stop recording. then no file at all at SD card.

That is unusual. Normally you would just end up with a corrupt non-playable file on the disk as it hadn't been properly closed.

If you have a corrupt file, it can normally be repaired just by turning the drone on again with the SD card in place, giving it 30 seconds, then turning it off again.
2019-12-18
Use props
Good guy Biker
lvl.1
Flight distance : 459144 ft
Canada

so much for my video of sasquatch
2019-12-19
Use props
kiminx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 149032 ft
Indonesia

Rogerq Posted at 12-18 12:01
That is unusual. Normally you would just end up with a corrupt non-playable file on the disk as it hadn't been properly closed.

If you have a corrupt file, it can normally be repaired just by turning the drone on again with the SD card in place, giving it 30 seconds, then turning it off again.

you're right.
what i mean i still get the mp4 file but cannot play.
thx for the tips. unfortunately i already deleted the file.
2019-12-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules