Phantom 4 Pro V2.0 Follow-me mode works perfectly.
2385 36 2019-12-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

With the Garmin GLO 2 bluetooth GPS.  With the Note 9/10, iPad 7th gen, it never ever works.  Follow-me mode is a lot better than Activetrack.

2019-12-18
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thanks for sharing this awesome video that you had captured! Thank you for your support.
2019-12-18
Use props
ernie_e
lvl.4
Flight distance : 299380 ft
United States

Thanks for sharing.
2019-12-18
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Curious,  Ive been testing car tracking too and had much trouble with active track.
2019-12-19
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 12-19 02:43
Curious,  Ive been testing car tracking too and had much trouble with active track.

I could not get it to work unless I had the GLO 2 GPS receiver.  The Apply button doesn't show up or it says weak signal.  When it did happen to work way back with the Note 9 once, it doesn't move.  With the GLO 2 bluetooth to the iPad, it work instantly.  You can't move the drone while it's in Follow-me mode on any axis but Y.  The GLO 2 receiver is pretty big.  The battery is like 1/5 the size so I assume the reason why people are getting some GPS losses with their smart devices is due to their size.  You can only go small so much before you start compromising reliability but no one really uses Follow-me mode on their Smart devices so there is no need to beef it but when you do, you need to know it has to exist otherwise you will lose signal when it could matter the most.
The visual detection of Activetrack can only work off the pixels it sees.  It works great sometimes but once it starts tracking something else on the move, it will track that instead which can get dangerous in a hurry when you aren't paying attention or at the controls.  We can hands off the controls when it's on DJI GS Pilot, Pix4D, or DroneDeploy but going hands off on ActiveTrack on anything else other than the Spark is not good.
2019-12-19
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AntDX316 Posted at 12-19 03:08
I could not get it to work unless I had the GLO 2 GPS receiver.  The Apply button doesn't show up or it says weak signal.  When it did happen to work way back with the Note 9 once, it doesn't move.  With the GLO 2 bluetooth to the iPad, it work instantly.  You can't move the drone while it's in Follow-me mode on any axis but Y.  The GLO 2 receiver is pretty big.  The battery is like 1/5 the size so I assume the reason why people are getting some GPS losses with their smart devices is due to their size.  You can only go small so much before you start compromising reliability but no one really uses Follow-me mode on their Smart devices so there is no need to beef it but when you do, you need to know it has to exist otherwise you will lose signal when it could matter the most.

Sadly I don't think Follow Me exists on the Mavic 2
2019-12-19
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 12-19 03:13
Sadly I don't think Follow Me exists on the Mavic 2

I need to try follow-me mode w/ the Inspire.
2019-12-19
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 12-19 02:43

Well I just tried active track again following my car uptown about 28mph and it worked great the difference was the mode selected I used trace & profile and both worked without issue.
2019-12-19
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

DAFlys Posted at 12-19 05:30
Well I just tried active track again following my car uptown about 28mph and it worked great the difference was the mode selected I used trace & profile and both worked without issue.

For some reason everyone tries to use Follow Me in a car, and they do not reaslise that when in a car, the GPS on your device does not work well. You are trying to receive GPS signals while sitting in a tin box FFS. If the RC unit is outside in the open, it works quite well.
2019-12-19
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I tried the Inspire 1 but got a signal loss multiple times then in F-Mode it said atti mode twice and in that mode it's in Atti mode but it says P-GPS though the aircraft drifts which isn't good.  Follow-me mode is unreliable but great if you are close by though, going into Atti mode near obstacles is not comforting.  It stayed in atti mode in F-Mode all the way to the end of the flight.  I'm not sure if it's still broken.  It was high enough to clear all obstacles though.

If the Skydio 2 uses the same setup, we are doomed.
2019-12-19
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AntDX316 Posted at 12-19 13:58
I tried the Inspire 1 but got a signal loss multiple times then in F-Mode it said atti mode twice and in that mode it's in Atti mode but it says P-GPS though the aircraft drifts which isn't good.  Follow-me mode is unreliable but great if you are close by though, going into Atti mode near obstacles is not comforting.  It stayed in atti mode in F-Mode all the way to the end of the flight.  I'm not sure if it's still broken.  It was high enough to clear all obstacles though.

If the Skydio 2 uses the same setup, we are doomed.

I see Bill the drone reviewer canceled his Skydio2 as it was happy with how it handled some obstacles, he made a video about it on his YouTube.
2019-12-20
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 12-20 08:28
I see Bill the drone reviewer canceled his Skydio2 as it was happy with how it handled some obstacles, he made a video about it on his YouTube.

I don't think any drone would have perfect GPS lock all the time unless you were using government-level systems.
2019-12-20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

AntDX316 Posted at 12-20 11:18
I don't think any drone would have perfect GPS lock all the time unless you were using government-level systems.

Any drone GPS receiver should have perfect GPS reception all the time if you are flying out in the open with a good sky view.
Perhaps you meant something else but didn't explain it well?
2019-12-21
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 12-21 18:14
Any drone GPS receiver should have perfect GPS reception all the time if you are flying out in the open with a good sky view.
Perhaps you meant something else but didn't explain it well?

They still have GPS but when you use follow-me mode, the drone tries to follow the other GPS positions signal perfectly while having its own position distance handled perfectly.  It has hiccups and stutters when it tries to match it then just breaks the connection completely.  The Inspire 1 got so confused it went to Atti mode in F-Mode and I wasn't even that far away.  I wish they made the tolerance a bit more relaxed.  An RTK follow-me mode would be fantastic but I'm not too sure how those work.
2019-12-21
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

AntDX316 Posted at 12-21 18:20
They still have GPS but when you use follow-me mode, the drone tries to follow the other GPS positions signal perfectly while having its own position distance handled perfectly.  It has hiccups and stutters when it tries to match it then just breaks the connection completely.  The Inspire 1 got so confused it went to Atti mode in F-Mode and I wasn't even that far away.  I wish they made the tolerance a bit more relaxed.  An RTK follow-me mode would be fantastic but I'm not too sure how those work.

I don't think you understand how Follow Me works.  The drone does not get confused.  The drone follows the satellite fix of the mobile device as reported by the mobile device.  There is no matching.  The connection (not sure what connection you're referring to) does not "break off" for any reason you seem to be implying.  If there is a weakness, it's in the mobile device's ability to acquire an accurate satellite fix - it has nothing to do with the drone or its system.  

Edit:  Is it possible the P4 system has some kind of failsafe when the mobile device fix jumps around too much?  Is that what you mean?  I don't have a P4.  
2019-12-21
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 12-21 19:35
I don't think you understand how Follow Me works.  The drone does not get confused.  The drone follows the satellite fix of the mobile device as reported by the mobile device.  There is no matching.  The connection (not sure what connection you're referring to) does not "break off" for any reason you seem to be implying.  If there is a weakness, it's in the mobile device's ability to acquire an accurate satellite fix - it has nothing to do with the drone or its system.  

Edit:  Is it possible the P4 system has some kind of failsafe when the mobile device fix jumps around too much?  Is that what you mean?  I don't have a P4.

There are stutters and hiccups if you look closely around 2:03 and on the Inspire 1 that I didn't bother to upload, it was pretty bad.  Not all the time of course.  It's locking onto the device like a beam.  I don't get hard stutters in manual mode at all and DJI GS Pro is spot on amazing if you don't fly it too fast in WP mode.  It flies the line with precision than I ever could in manual.
2019-12-21
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

I watched that 2:03 area about 20x at max screen.  Twice I thought I saw a flicker but it appeared to be in the video, not in the flight.  The other 18x I couldn't see anything.  You're viewing with a fast modern desktop with a good graphics card, right?
2019-12-22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AntDX316 Posted at 12-20 11:18

That and the poor distance,  3500 feet seems to be the reliable limit in the countryside with nothing to interfere.
2019-12-22
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 12-22 04:47
I watched that 2:03 area about 20x at max screen.  Twice I thought I saw a flicker but it appeared to be in the video, not in the flight.  The other 18x I couldn't see anything.  You're viewing with a fast modern desktop with a good graphics card, right?

I'm on a 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra.  It's the drone flicking the camera.  That does not happen in manual mode of course.
2019-12-22
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 12-22 07:15
That and the poor distance,  3500 feet seems to be the reliable limit in the countryside with nothing to interfere.

I blame the satellites moving in space and the lack of RTK though I've read even those mess up at times too.  I still weigh on the fact it's far better than nothing.
2019-12-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

AntDX316 Posted at 12-22 07:25
I blame the satellites moving in space and the lack of RTK though I've read even those mess up at times too.  I still weigh on the fact it's far better than nothing.

I blame the satellites moving in space and the lack of RTK.
I blame an idiot with almost no understanding of anything technical, but who believes he's an expert.
2019-12-22
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 12-22 12:52
I blame an idiot with almost no understanding of anything technical, but who believes he's an expert.

What is your solution then einstein/newton?  I'm not even sure why I bother to keep the GPS receiver.
2019-12-22
Use props
EdM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1491814 ft
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 12-22 12:52

Labroides, I'm sure you know it's the solar winds blowing them all over the place.   
2019-12-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

AntDX316 Posted at 12-22 16:33
What is your solution then einstein/newton?  I'm not even sure why I bother to keep the GPS receiver.

My solution?
I don't think there is one.
You have no idea how limited your understanding is and won't believe anyone that tries to enlighten you.
But if you are asking about Follow-me flight and really want to video yourself moving around, you could always try a more modern drone with the more advanced active track technology.

2019-12-22
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 12-22 17:03
My solution?
I don't think there is one.
You have no idea how limited your understanding is and won't believe anyone that tries to enlighten you.

"But if you are asking about Follow-me flight and really want to video yourself moving around, you could always try a more modern drone with the more advanced active track technology."

You have zero experience with Activetrack and you say it's better.  Continue on shining more light with your world-class state of the art knowledge.
2019-12-22
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

AntDX316 Posted at 12-22 17:25
"But if you are asking about Follow-me flight and really want to video yourself moving around, you could always try a more modern drone with the more advanced active track technology."

You have zero experience with Activetrack and you say it's better.  Continue on shining more light with your world-class state of the art knowledge.

Only if you agree to stop polluting the world with your stupendous level of stupidity.
2019-12-22
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 12-22 18:02

Only if you agree to stop polluting the world with your stupendous level of stupidity.

I'm speaking from current findings though.  You guys speak from sacred obsolete knowledge.
2019-12-22
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

AntDX316 Posted at 12-22 19:05
I'm speaking from current findings though.  You guys speak from sacred obsolete knowledge.

Of course, you exemplify the dumb-arse millenial who rejects anything he cannot see, hear or taste himself. We on the other hand are the generation who designed all the components that go into making this technology, so naturally we don't know how it works. Grow up, get out of your cot and smell the real world.
2019-12-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

AntDX316 Posted at 12-22 19:05

You speak from monumental ignorance.
Since you know nothing, have so much trouble working things out for yourself and have utter contempt for anyone with actual knowledge and experience, you are doomed forever to blunder along fooling yourself and never finding out how things work.

Your suggestion that your perceived problem is due to satellites moving in space is a classic example.

2019-12-22
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

What are your guys take on religion and the afterlife?
2019-12-23
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

AntDX316 Posted at 12-23 14:36
What are your guys take on religion and the afterlife?

Those topics do not belong on this forum.
2019-12-23
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 12-23 15:47
Those topics do not belong on this forum.

Answer the questions.
2019-12-23
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

AntDX316 Posted at 12-23 18:41
Answer the questions.

The answers are private, p*ss off.
2019-12-23
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I don't think you can have any other autonomy mode as good as the P4PV2.0 for night tracking.  When it breaks lock, it just sits waiting for your commands.
2020-1-9
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
Romania

I would want it to come home on breaking lock, not sit there in the hope you can regain it.....
2020-1-9
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bashy Posted at 1-9 19:37
I would want it to come home on breaking lock, not sit there in the hope you can regain it.....

If you are in a vehicle or vessel, it would suck for it to fly all the way back to take-off point.
2020-1-9
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
France

Follow Me mode in a car, you deserve all the lock breaks you get, im surprised it lasted as well as it did.....
2020-1-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules